2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS MD/MPH Applicant secondary submitted 08/15 but still not marked as complete :unsure:

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is sitting on such status:

1600487960855.png

Does this mean they're processing the 2° I submitted? :unsure:

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I have a question about letter of recommendation requirements...

OHSU says 3 letters from faculty OR a pre-med committee letter. I have a committee letter comprised of 2 faculty recommendations and a cover letter written by another faculty member. Does this fulfill the requirement? I submitted my secondary over a month ago and haven't been marked as completed, is it worth reaching out to admissions to clarify?

From their requirements page, it sounds like you just need 3 individual letters or the committee letter. If you have a committee letter, then it should be fine. I submitted a letter packet with a cover letter and 3 faculty letters compiled by my school because my cover letter from my premed advisor isn't a committee letter. The cover letter is different because it leaves some things out that the committee letter includes.

If yours doesn't have a committee letter, then it might be worth asking if your cover letter could count as a faculty letter. I'm not sure what makes them different though

Submitted 9/3 and complete 9/17

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! Current MS2 at OHSU, happy to answer any questions. Good luck this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Everyone! Current MS2 at OHSU, happy to answer any questions. Good luck this cycle!
Hey, thanks for being willing to do this! One thing I'm curious about is the mandatory attendance mentioned on MSAR. I've heard that this is quite uncommon for lectures in med school, but MSAR made it sound like OHSU requires in person attendance for everything. Is this because there are more small group sessions, or do they really require that you show up to every lecture? If the latter, how do you like it?

Secondary submitted and processed the next day (9/20)! Crossing my fingers!!

Should I email to check if I am a mission-based applicant? Secondary submitted 8/11 and still not processed. I know they do things late though. Not sure if its worth it to reach out

Should I email to check if I am a mission-based applicant? Secondary submitted 8/11 and still not processed. I know they do things late though. Not sure if its worth it to reach out
I’m wondering the same thing since I submitted on 8/9 and still not processed

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reaching out and asking if you are mission based or why your app is not complete won't hurt your chances. I'd say reach out to the admissions office if you think it'll give you some peace of mind.

I spoke with the Dean of Admission last week (super awesome guy, happened to be volunteering with him) and when I asked how their admissions process was going he said it was "going to be a mess" and "going to be very difficult", implying that they have not started looking at anything yet. I'm pretty sure OHSU is always a little slower for this process but just letting people know that they have not even started yet.

Reactions: 2 users
II just now!! Eeeeek

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I'm also not processed yet :( I don't want to be neurotic, but I'm worried!

I just emailed to see if there were specific requirements to meet the OOS mission-based group and whether or not that is affecting my application being processed. Auto response said it could be 15 days till I get a response to my email, but I'll post what they say!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I just emailed to see if there were specific requirements to meet the OOS mission-based group and whether or not that is affecting my application being processed. Auto response said it could be 15 days till I get a response to my email, but I'll post what they say!
Sorry for the confusion, but I'm IS! My application was processed today, but turns out I didn't assign one of the letters of recommendation on AMCAS, so my application is not complete yet. Definitely kicking myself for that!

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm IS! My application was processed today, but turns out I didn't assign one of the letters of recommendation on AMCAS, so my application is not complete yet. Definitely kicking myself for that!
Oh its all good, there were some others above in the thread who were OOS and wanted to know as well! I'm glad yours got processed, that's good!

OOS but WICHE applicant submitted on 8/19 and still not processed or complete?? Hoping sooner rather than later! :xf:

Just in case anyone still hasn't gotten their secondary for some reason, OHSU posted this message on their admissions page:

(Updated 9/23/2020) It has come to our attention that many applicants have not received their invitation email to fill out the secondary application. Once we receive the verified AMCAS data, all applicants are welcome to fill out a secondary application. Once you are in our system, you will be able to log in through our Admissions Portal to access the secondary application. Note: You will be able to submit past the deadline listed. We will update this website prior to the application closing for the year.

On the secondary, should I list a letter of recommendation that is still pending? It's supposed to come in next week according to the professor, but I don't actually have it as of right now.

On the secondary, should I list a letter of recommendation that is still pending? It's supposed to come in next week according to the professor, but I don't actually have it as of right now.
Yes, but your application will be incomplete until it arrives. That's currently what's happening with me. Mine was sent after I submitted my primary, then I forgot to send it from amcas until I saw it wasn't sent on the portal.

I fill that they will not send any invites and be mostly incomplete until mid-October, COVID + Social Justice + Wild Fires have made it an Impossible cycle for Oregon, and while we wish they would hurry up to ease our anxieties. They are all humans and they are going as fast as they can.

I fill that they will not send any invites and be mostly incomplete until mid-October, COVID + Social Justice + Wild Fires have made it an Impossible cycle for Oregon, and while we wish they would hurry up to ease our anxieties. They are all humans and they are going as fast as they can.

True! Plus it's not a big deal to interview late at OHSU since they place like 80% of applicants on hold after they interview until the end of April.

OOS (WA), but grew up in Oregon and attended high school there. Submitted 8/22 complete 9/28

................................................... omg i am in the same boat... fml. I submitted 11/08 and thought OHSU would take forever so I didin't check portal until today... and realized I forgot to designate one of my letter writers. I am sad boi and IS.

• Sad
Hello, my secondary was processed on the portal as I finished it 8/11 but I forgot to designate a letter and my card until today....... Did I just screw myself over and now have to wait a long time to actualy be complete?

Hello, my secondary was processed on the portal as I finished it 8/11 but I forgot to designate a letter and my card until today....... Did I just screw myself over and now have to wait a long time to actualy be complete?
I wouldn't worry too much. It may take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to be marked complete, but OHSU interviews until ~March so you are not late going by OHSU's timeline.

Does OHSU review applications without a Casper score? I'm not taking Casper until 10/12 :(

Other than work-life balance, what will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1550 characters)

How are you guys answering this question. I am having trouble. I am passionate about research (3 years in cancer research with multiple first-author publications; but I don't want to do PHD), can I say balancing conducing research with caring for patients?

Other than work-life balance, what will be your greatest challenge in becoming a physician? (1550 characters)

How are you guys answering this question. I am having trouble. I am passionate about research (3 years in cancer research with multiple first-author publications; but I don't want to do PHD), can I say balancing conducing research with caring for patients?
If you don't want to do a Ph.D. or become a Physician scientist, what's the point?

ahhh i'm in-state and my app was completed on 9/28/20. crossing my fingers for that II

Anyone else in my boat? OOS applicant, submitted 8/28 and still not complete

For those of you that got interview invites, may I ask what format the interview is this year? Is it an asynchronous interview where you just record yourself answering questions? Or is it a one on one with an admissions team?

The portal states "application processing may take several weeks." Has anyone tried emailing admissions about completion status? Today marks the eighth week since I have submitted my secondary.

The portal states "application processing may take several weeks." Has anyone tried emailing admissions about completion status? Today marks the eighth week since I have submitted my secondary.
OHSU is notoriously slow even without COVID. I don't think you need to stress too much about this.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you that got interview invites, may I ask what format the interview is this year? Is it an asynchronous interview where you just record yourself answering questions? Or is it a one on one with an admissions team?
One of my friends got an interview and they said that they haven't changed much of their typical interview day. So it is most likely MMIs and a one-on-one with a faculty member. Plus info sessions and student panel sometime throughout the day.

One of my friends got an interview and they said that they haven't changed much of their typical interview day. So it is most likely MMIs and a one-on-one with a faculty member. Plus info sessions and student panel sometime throughout the day.
All online I presume? I doubt interviewees are actually traveling onto the campus right?

I submitted 8/11, all of my letters have been in, my CASPer was sent, and I’m still not marked complete (OOS). I emailed last week and am awaiting their response.