2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so has there been zero WL movement since that 1st wave?
I think so. I was hopeful for a while that there would be more by now, but by this time last cycle, there were 4 WL movements. I'm guessing they are really close to full class size in terms of CTE's already this year. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
we all really played ourselves thinking there would be more wl movement this year 🤡

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I've pretty much given up hope of getting off this WL. It was just an extra competitive cycle this year :confused:

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I like to speculate that because all interviews were conducted over zoom, there were more competitive applicants at every school. Every other school I'm WL on has seen virtually no movement since acceptances first went out.

I like to speculate that because all interviews were conducted over zoom, there were more competitive applicants at every school. Every other school I'm WL on has seen virtually no movement since acceptances first went out.
What I just don't understand is how class sizes can be full after the April 30th deadline. I completely understand that before April 30th, these top-tier applicants likely went to more interviews and received more acceptances than in any other cycle due to the no-cost interviewing. But after April 30th, these top-tier applicants could only hold onto 1 acceptance, so you would assume that WL movement would be a lot more dynamic.

My assumption is that schools with little WL movement are the ones who sent an unprecedented amount of initial acceptances (before April 30th) to avoid having to deal with taking people off the WL after April 30th at the risk of overadmittance.

Same! Initially I was feeling pretty good because of the # of waitlists I was on but it has been radio silence on all the threads.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I emailed with Dean Piraino and she stated they are ABOVE class size. Folks how did we get here, this sucks so bad 😭 it's looking like a lost cause. Pitt was the last chance of my family staying together :(

• Care
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I emailed with Dean Piraino and she stated they are ABOVE class size. Folks how did we get here, this sucks so bad 😭 it's looking like a lost cause. Pitt was the last chance of my family staying together :(
Damn this feels like getting punched in the chest. So sorry about your family <3
Thanks for sharing the info though

Does anyone know if they will reject everyone who is still on the waitlist at a certain date or do they just ghost you forever?

• Hmm
Incoming Pitt Med student here. I do not believe the WL movement is over, so keep your hope up folks! Here are some of the information that hopefully can be useful.
1. True, that students have to narrow their school choices down to 3, but they are not obligated to make any commitment yet. I got to know some of the students from the second look, and I know that they are waiting to get pull off from other schools.
2. The commit to enroll date for Pitt Med is July 15th so anything is possible before August.
3. (Best of all) We have an incoming student GroupMe chat group and there have been some folks leaving recently. I am hoping to see some of your beautiful faces in August! If that happens to be you, just remember to thank me later

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Incoming Pitt Med student here. I do not believe the WL movement is over, so keep your hope up folks! Here are some of the information that hopefully can be useful.
1. True, that students have to narrow their school choices down to 3, but they are not obligated to make any commitment yet. I got to know some of the students from the second look, and I know that they are waiting to get pull off from other schools.
2. The commit to enroll date for Pitt Med is July 15th so anything is possible before August.
3. (Best of all) We have an incoming student GroupMe chat group and there have been some folks leaving recently. I am hoping to see some of your beautiful faces in August! If that happens to be you, just remember to thank me later
thank you for this lol my other school has a CTE of july 1st so pitt med is really stretching things out ig

I love how this thread regularly alternates between utter despair and a strong sense of hope LOL. It's a nice balance.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hope's a dangerous thing, my friend!

Current student - happy to answer any more questions about the school/city. Good luck everyone

Me and 2-3 other MS1’s looking at renting a house together. Will it be a problem to have 4 unrelated people rent a house? Looking in South Side Flats area. Also:

1) is this a good area commute wise?
2) is this is safe area?

Does anyone know if Pitt sends post-WL rejection emails? Or is it more like they'll just ghost us entirely if we don't get in lol

Me and 2-3 other MS1’s looking at renting a house together. Will it be a problem to have 4 unrelated people rent a house? Looking in South Side Flats area. Also:

2) is this is safe area?
Not a current Pitt Med Student, but I was a Pitt Undergrad and I've been living here for 5 years:
I don't see any problem with having 4 unrelated people renting a house.
Although South Side is on the other side of the river, it's still a very easy commute to the med school (you would have to drive though). It's just a 5-10 minute drive. My girlfriend is a student at Pitt Dental (right next to PittMed) and a lot of her classmates live in the South Side and like it.
As far as I know, the South Side is pretty safe.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if Pitt sends post-WL rejection emails? Or is it more like they'll just ghost us entirely if we don't get in lol
They do, but the email will not be out until mid-August when the full class is matriculated

2) is this is safe area?
Agree with the comment above. I know of multiple 4-person houses and have never heard of it being an issue, including South Side. It's a fine area in terms of commute and safety. It definitely has a reputation for being somewhat rowdy given the number of bars and popularity with undergrads. I wouldn't say a lot of med students live in that area, but it's not uncommon, especially for M1/M2.

My CTE deadline for my school is 5/31 so just withdrew my app from the WL. Hope there's some movement in June for you guys!

Adding to this, Dean Piraino said they do not expect any more movement and to apply to their UPMC residency programs when the time comes.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Adding to this, Dean Piraino said they do not expect any more movement and to apply to their UPMC residency programs when the time comes.
Wow. This is crazy. From 6 WL movements last cycle to just 1 WL movement this cycle. So incredibly saddened to hear this, but I guess this means we can move on and not continue holding onto false hope.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Heading up to Pittsburgh from Miami to scout out potential housing options. I’ll be up there tonight. Got a couple of appointments for Thursday and Friday. Anyone still looking? I think I should be set with a couple of other MS1s but I’m gonna consider all my options.

Just as a transparent update for WL gang. The school created this excel sheet for name pronunciations, and there are 163 of us on it, so it looks like they are WELL above class size.

• Sad
Just as a transparent update for WL gang. The school created this excel sheet for name pronunciations, and there are 163 of us on it, so it looks like they are WELL above class size.
Thank you for the update. If all those people matriculate, it would be the largest entering class size in the past 5 years at least.…damn.

I guess it really is over for us WL peeps.

Ev8uwOuXAAExbzb.jpg

Got a question for people who currently live in Pittsburgh. What area of the city do I NOT want to live in? I just got moved off the waitlist for Darragh Street apartments (2 min walk from scaife) but I'm still exploring my options for anything better. I don't plan on bringing my car with me during MS1 but would like the option to do so as long as I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for parking

Got a question for people who currently live in Pittsburgh. What area of the city do I NOT want to live in? I just got moved off the waitlist for Darragh Street apartments (2 min walk from scaife) but I'm still exploring my options for anything better. I don't plan on bringing my car with me during MS1 but would like the option to do so as long as I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for parking
Most students live in Oakland, Shadyside, or Southside. Southside is where all the bars are and can get sort of rowdy. Rent in Pittsburgh is relatively inexpensive compared to other cities. Especially if you have roommates.

I'd recommend being on campus the first year and moving off the second year to save money. Public transport is available. But the medical school is on top of a pretty steep hill and all the bus-stops are at the bottom of the hill.

Most students live in Oakland, Shadyside, or Southside. Southside is where all the bars are and can get sort of rowdy. Rent in Pittsburgh is relatively inexpensive compared to other cities. Especially if you have roommates.

I'd recommend being on campus the first year and moving off the second year to save money. Public transport is available. But the medical school is on top of a pretty steep hill and all the bus-stops are at the bottom of the hill.
Thanks for the info! I was leaning towards sticking with the Darragh Street as I adjusted to med school and then reevaluating for next year.

Thanks for the info! I was leaning towards sticking with the Darragh Street as I adjusted to med school and then reevaluating for next year.
I think that will be the move. Pitt is a super convenient place to go to school because all the clinical sites and research facilities are within 3ish miles of each other at the most.

how do you withdraw? just the secondary portal or do you need to email someone

Is anyone that's on the WL (and not withdrawn) not able to log-in on the portal? It asked me to update my password and then when I did it says "User name or AMCAS ID does not exist."

Is anyone that's on the WL (and not withdrawn) not able to log-in on the portal? It asked me to update my password and then when I did it says "User name or AMCAS ID does not exist."
that happened to me too, but i was able to change the password.

I emailed Pitt this morning. I think we generally know the WL status but--- the dean stated: "We do not think we will be taking more from our waitlist. We have had very few withdrawals." Best wishes SDN users.

• Care
  • Sad
I've cte'd officially at my other school - best of luck to everyone reapplying and to those starting at pitt! I absolutely love this city and its people and can't wait to be back, hope you guys love it as much too!!

Accepted friends, have you received any updates on this number (163)? I realize that not everyone might be in the GroupMe, but there are currently 152 members in it. For those who haven't committed to Pitt yet, there is still a full week to pull out before the CTE date :)