2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheDataKing

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Pittsburgh

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
2. UPSOM is committed to building a diverse and talented community that will train physicians in delivering culturally competent, person-centered care, and promoting a supportive, collaborative learning environment. To achieve this, we want our fellow students to recognize health disparities and advocate for health equity. We are interested in combating all forms of systemic barriers, and would like to hear your thoughts on opposing specifically: systemic racism, anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, and misogyny. How will you contribute? (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
3. Please write about anything else you would like to add to your application, or anything you would like to emphasize to the Admissions Committee. Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Prompts:
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
2. UPSOM is committed to building a diverse and talented community that will train physicians in delivering culturally competent, person-centered care, and promoting a supportive, collaborative learning environment. To achieve this, we want our fellow students to recognize health disparities and advocate for health equity. We are interested in combating all forms of systemic barriers, and would like to hear your thoughts on opposing specifically: systemic racism, anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, and misogyny. How will you contribute? (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
3. Please write about anything else you would like to add to your application, or anything you would like to emphasize to the Admissions Committee. Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

@TheDataKing
 
Prompts:
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
2. UPSOM is committed to building a diverse and talented community that will train physicians in delivering culturally competent, person-centered care, and promoting a supportive, collaborative learning environment. To achieve this, we want our fellow students to recognize health disparities and advocate for health equity. We are interested in combating all forms of systemic barriers, and would like to hear your thoughts on opposing specifically: systemic racism, anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, and misogyny. How will you contribute? (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
3. Please write about anything else you would like to add to your application, or anything you would like to emphasize to the Admissions Committee. Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

@TheDataKing
Thank you so much! You are the best 🙂
 
Just to clarify, for the systemic racism, anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, and misogyny prompt, do we need to address all 3 of just one?
 
For the course name/number, how much did people write? For example, would you write CHEM 101 or CHEM 101 - General Chemistry I?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for the second question, would an adapted diversity essay work? like using your experiences to advocate for other marginalized communities?
 
Yea new prompt is kinda confusing. Are they asking how we will contribute while on campus (like a normal diversity essay) or how we will contribute during our professional career?
 
Yeah if anyone has any suggestions for the new 'combatting systemic barriers' essay, that would be so amazing! I've had no experiences in that area so I feel like anything I say would sound insincere
 
Yeah if anyone has any suggestions for the new 'combatting systemic barriers' essay, that would be so amazing! I've had no experiences in that area so I feel like anything I say would sound insincere
Look towards the value of allyship. Read... Read... READ! Once informed, I think you'll have a better idea of how you can break barriers. You want to use experiences you may have had helping others gain equity within other communities. Your examples can be some type of small service to make others' lives easier. Buzzwords will help a little, but should be supported by examples of how you demonstrate "equity!"
Simple formula: Become informed, find your topic, relate it to an experience/something you've done (even if it's not exactly misogyny, LGBTQ+ discrimination, or systemic racism), and then find your unique angle to integrate it all together.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just submitted MD and MSTP supplemental applications. On the MSTP supplemental submission page, it said both my applications were submitted and complete. But, then when I go to the application status tab, it says my MSTP supplemental is incomplete. Anyone else experiencing this?
 
does or did anyone else have a problem with their fee not being waived if you're FAP? mine is still asking me to pay and won't mark me as complete. should i wait a day or so for this to resolve itself or should i email admissions?
 
does or did anyone else have a problem with their fee not being waived if you're FAP? mine is still asking me to pay and won't mark me as complete. should i wait a day or so for this to resolve itself or should i email admissions?
I had FAP as well and the box was checked within a day or two of me submitting my secondary!
 
Just to clarify, for the systemic racism, anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, and misogyny prompt, do we need to address all 3 of just one?
I had written an answer for just one of them...but upon viewing the question again, I'm not so sure. I feel like I'd be answering the question very superficially if I tried to address all 3 issues in 250 words. Does anyone have any ideas?
 
Is anyone doing a COVID essay for the misc prompt? Or does a why us essay seem better?
 
Can someone help me with the coursework section? I'm not sure how to fit all of it in the 7 slots. Since they have 8 course requirements? I'm so confused.
What do you mean? You don't need to fill all the slots. You can fill in the pre-reqs and continue.

Edit: I think you may be overlooking the tabs that are located on top.
1595441796875.png
 
Does anyone have tips for the problem you have solved question? I wrote about something, but I think it was kind of lame haha. What are you focusing on?
 
Does anyone know how flexible Pittsburg is with the statistics requirement? I took math until Calc 3, but never took stats formally. I just learned as I went along during research.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how flexible Pittsburg is with the statistics requirement? I took math until Calc 3, but never took stats formally. I just learned as I went along during research.
A lot of schools require stats, so it may just be worth your time to set it up as a future course and enroll for the Spring! That's what I'm doing.
 
A lot of schools require stats, so it may just be worth your time to set it up as a future course and enroll for the Spring! That's what I'm doing.
Considering I graduated 3 years ago, that might not be feasible lol. I'll just contact the admissions department and see what they say.
 
Considering I graduated 3 years ago, that might not be feasible lol. I'll just contact the admissions department and see what they say.
I graduated this past Spring, so I will be taking it as a night course at a school nearby.
 
I graduated this past Spring, so I will be taking it as a night course at a school nearby.
That's true, I could take it as a non-degree seeking student at a local CC. I might do that if I'm already accepted, probably not worth taking it in advance for me.