2020-2021 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Pittsburgh

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
2. UPSOM is committed to building a diverse and talented community that will train physicians in delivering culturally competent, person-centered care, and promoting a supportive, collaborative learning environment. To achieve this, we want our fellow students to recognize health disparities and advocate for health equity. We are interested in combating all forms of systemic barriers, and would like to hear your thoughts on opposing specifically: systemic racism, anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, and misogyny. How will you contribute? (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
3. Please write about anything else you would like to add to your application, or anything you would like to emphasize to the Admissions Committee. Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Prompts:
1. Tell us about a challenging problem you faced and how you resolved it. (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
2. UPSOM is committed to building a diverse and talented community that will train physicians in delivering culturally competent, person-centered care, and promoting a supportive, collaborative learning environment. To achieve this, we want our fellow students to recognize health disparities and advocate for health equity. We are interested in combating all forms of systemic barriers, and would like to hear your thoughts on opposing specifically: systemic racism, anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, and misogyny. How will you contribute? (Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*
3. Please write about anything else you would like to add to your application, or anything you would like to emphasize to the Admissions Committee. Limit your response to 250 words or less.)*

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 4 users
Prompts:

@TheDataKing
Thank you so much! You are the best :)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think a why Upitt essay would be good for the add anything to the application secondary question

Just to clarify, for the systemic racism, anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, and misogyny prompt, do we need to address all 3 of just one?

+1 OOS, submitted

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I had good enough writing to work as fast as you! :(
Reused other secondaries and adapted them to fit the questions!

For the course name/number, how much did people write? For example, would you write CHEM 101 or CHEM 101 - General Chemistry I?

for the second question, would an adapted diversity essay work? like using your experiences to advocate for other marginalized communities?

Yea new prompt is kinda confusing. Are they asking how we will contribute while on campus (like a normal diversity essay) or how we will contribute during our professional career?

Yeah if anyone has any suggestions for the new 'combatting systemic barriers' essay, that would be so amazing! I've had no experiences in that area so I feel like anything I say would sound insincere

Yeah if anyone has any suggestions for the new 'combatting systemic barriers' essay, that would be so amazing! I've had no experiences in that area so I feel like anything I say would sound insincere
Look towards the value of allyship. Read... Read... READ! Once informed, I think you'll have a better idea of how you can break barriers. You want to use experiences you may have had helping others gain equity within other communities. Your examples can be some type of small service to make others' lives easier. Buzzwords will help a little, but should be supported by examples of how you demonstrate "equity!"
Simple formula: Become informed, find your topic, relate it to an experience/something you've done (even if it's not exactly misogyny, LGBTQ+ discrimination, or systemic racism), and then find your unique angle to integrate it all together.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
When it says click box if class was partially online would online due to covid class or is it referring to a usually online course

When it says click box if class was partially online would online due to covid class or is it referring to a usually online course

For classes moved online due to COVID I checked the box and wrote in the comments section that we transitioned online due to COVID

For classes, are you guys taking the hours from the OT Hours or the Sem Hours on your AMCAS? Not sure which one to put down for all of them

Has anyone else not received a secondary yet? OOS

for coursework, should you list all the courses that are relevant to the section, or just what is required?

Would it be beneficial for me to talk about family ties to Pittsburgh for the third essay?

wait I just got to the pre-reqs page, do they really require a YEAR of biochem and stats?!

edit: website says 1/2 year for both of those, jeez way to scare your poor applicants Pitt

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when Pitt starts interviewing? I know they are using the virtual interview.

I just submitted MD and MSTP supplemental applications. On the MSTP supplemental submission page, it said both my applications were submitted and complete. But, then when I go to the application status tab, it says my MSTP supplemental is incomplete. Anyone else experiencing this?

does or did anyone else have a problem with their fee not being waived if you're FAP? mine is still asking me to pay and won't mark me as complete. should i wait a day or so for this to resolve itself or should i email admissions?

does or did anyone else have a problem with their fee not being waived if you're FAP? mine is still asking me to pay and won't mark me as complete. should i wait a day or so for this to resolve itself or should i email admissions?
I had FAP as well and the box was checked within a day or two of me submitting my secondary!

Just to clarify, for the systemic racism, anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination, and misogyny prompt, do we need to address all 3 of just one?
I had written an answer for just one of them...but upon viewing the question again, I'm not so sure. I feel like I'd be answering the question very superficially if I tried to address all 3 issues in 250 words. Does anyone have any ideas?

Is anyone doing a COVID essay for the misc prompt? Or does a why us essay seem better?

Can someone help me with the coursework section? I'm not sure how to fit all of it in the 7 slots. Since they have 8 course requirements? I'm so confused.
What do you mean? You don't need to fill all the slots. You can fill in the pre-reqs and continue.

Edit: I think you may be overlooking the tabs that are located on top.
1595441796875.png

Does anyone have tips for the problem you have solved question? I wrote about something, but I think it was kind of lame haha. What are you focusing on?

Would it be beneficial for me to talk about family ties to Pittsburgh for the third essay?

That's what I did last year (in addition to talking about why I liked the school), and I'm matriculating this fall!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how flexible Pittsburg is with the statistics requirement? I took math until Calc 3, but never took stats formally. I just learned as I went along during research.

Does anyone know how flexible Pittsburg is with the statistics requirement? I took math until Calc 3, but never took stats formally. I just learned as I went along during research.

You need a formal stats course to fulfill the requirement.

A lot of schools require stats, so it may just be worth your time to set it up as a future course and enroll for the Spring! That's what I'm doing.

A lot of schools require stats, so it may just be worth your time to set it up as a future course and enroll for the Spring! That's what I'm doing.
Considering I graduated 3 years ago, that might not be feasible lol. I'll just contact the admissions department and see what they say.

Considering I graduated 3 years ago, that might not be feasible lol. I'll just contact the admissions department and see what they say.
I graduated this past Spring, so I will be taking it as a night course at a school nearby.

I graduated this past Spring, so I will be taking it as a night course at a school nearby.
That's true, I could take it as a non-degree seeking student at a local CC. I might do that if I'm already accepted, probably not worth taking it in advance for me.