2020-2021 Rutgers (New Jersey)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So there's a student interview (that's optional) and then there's a second interview. I think the second interview is extended on an as-needed basis in case they need more info?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I'm a current 4th year at NJMS and if you guys have questions about the school or the application process I'm happy to help. I'm a student interviewer and work with the admissions committee. I know this year's cycle is extra weird so best of luck!
Is a car necessary for years 1+2? Years 3+4? Any experience with the bus system? What is something you wish you knew before starting at NJMS? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a car necessary for years 1+2? Years 3+4? Any experience with the bus system? What is something you wish you knew before starting at NJMS? Thanks!
A car is definitely needed for years three and four. If you live on campus you might not need one for years one and two but then you're basically stuck on campus. If you're talking about the shuttle that runs between campuses and Newark Penn I've taken it a few times to the train station and it's fine but since I have a car I don't really need it.

I got the interview scheduling email yesterday/official invite today, and I was wondering if the Dean's session is mandatory or if it's kind of a supplemental thing? just because I'd have to be asking for so much time off work and idk if I can :(

Just received an interview invite!! (NJMS working hard on a Saturday?)

RD IS Complete 7/28

Dates available range from October 20th to October 30th. Basically every day of the week available.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I'm a current 4th year at NJMS and if you guys have questions about the school or the application process I'm happy to help. I'm a student interviewer and work with the admissions committee. I know this year's cycle is extra weird so best of luck!
Hi, thank you for taking the time to speak with us! I was wondering what you, as a student interviewer, look for in us? Or if you can clue me in to what kinds of questions are asked, either in the faculty or student interview? This is my first interview (and for my first choice school) so I want to be extra prepared.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted!! Interviewed 9/9!

Quick question: if I fill out all the stuff the school is asking for, does that mean that I am officially committing to attend NJMS? Or am I simply reserving my spot? Thanks!

• Love
Hi, thank you for taking the time to speak with us! I was wondering what you, as a student interviewer, look for in us? Or if you can clue me in to what kinds of questions are asked, either in the faculty or student interview? This is my first interview (and for my first choice school) so I want to be extra prepared.
As a student interviewer I honestly look mostly for enthusiasm and being able to hold a decent conversation. I always read personal statements and the blurbs you guys write about your extracurriculars but just to know more about the applicant rather than to judge anyone by that. You would be surprised at the amount of people who act like they don't want to be talking with me or even at the interview at all. The student interview is generally more relaxed than the faculty interview. I usually ask people things like what they're most looking forward to in med school, how they're hoping to get involved and the standard why NJMS among other questions about extracurriculars or any other topics that come up over the course of the discussion.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!! Interviewed 9/9!

Quick question: if I fill out all the stuff the school is asking for, does that mean that I am officially committing to attend NJMS? Or am I simply reserving my spot? Thanks!
No it doesn't

Well that newsletter gave me a heart attack

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
it doesn’t seem like many folks are getting II for RD, does anyone know? Are they just late due to COVID?

Reactions: 5 users
Lol, both the original newsletter and the newsletter update gave me a heart attack. The Update moreso because I saw "Update" and "Excited" and I Was like OMFG

Reactions: 8 users
II earlier this morning, complete 7/16, IS

Reactions: 9 users
Question: I never received a confirmation email from NJMS that my application is complete even though it told me I would receive one after I submitted my secondary...but online it's marked as complete. Do i need to contact them?

Question: I never received a confirmation email from NJMS that my application is complete even though it told me I would receive one after I submitted my secondary...but online it's marked as complete. Do i need to contact them?

I would contact them. I received a complete confirmation email.

I'm interviewing tomorrow but don't have a ton of information about it. I know it starts with a "brief welcome" but how long is the virtual interview day?

I'm interviewing tomorrow but don't have a ton of information about it. I know it starts with a "brief welcome" but how long is the virtual interview day?
The "brief welcome" is simply them checking your photo ID. You don't have to log back on until your interview time, unless you opted to sign up for a student interview. The Thursday of the week you interview, there is a Q+A with the deans from 12-12:45, and a Q+A with students from 12:45 to 1:30ish. You are expected to attend this as well. Good luck!!!!

Has anyone done the "second interview" and can tell me more about it? I'm terrified all over again.

Quick question - did anyone send thank you letters after your interview? No one mentioned anything so I'm not sure where to send it/upload it/if they want them

Has anyone done the "second interview" and can tell me more about it? I'm terrified all over again.

I had to do a second interview for ED. It was pretty straight forward but they grilled me more. My interviewer had a list of things he specifically wanted to get ask me whereas my first interview was more surface level and conversational. I ultimately got accepted but it seems they’re doing the second interview more this year than in the past.

It’s definitely a good thing. at this point they’re looking for a reason to accept u instead of weed u out.

Reactions: 3 users
Quick question - did anyone send thank you letters after your interview? No one mentioned anything so I'm not sure where to send it/upload it/if they want them
I just sent a thank you email to my interviewer. If you didn't get their contact info then maybe you can email the admissions office for their email or about sending a letter. I don't think they'd mind.

A! Got the call a few minutes ago holy cow! Dr. Heinrich is awesome.

Interviewed 9/22 and btw it was from a NY number so watch out guys

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I had to do a second interview for ED. It was pretty straight forward but they grilled me more. My interviewer had a list of things he specifically wanted to get ask me whereas my first interview was more surface level and conversational. I ultimately got accepted but it seems they’re doing the second interview more this year than in the past.

It’s definitely a good thing. at this point they’re looking for a reason to accept u instead of weed u out.
Thank you!!! Was it a full interview as well?

for the Dean's session, is it business casual/interview attire just like the interview?

II yesterday, interview scheduled for next week. Complete 7/15 and IS.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I had my second interview last week. Prepare to have your application picked apart for flaws. I was asked about Ws, what I've been doing for the last few months, all of my work/activities and the like.

• Wow
I had my second interview last week. Prepare to have your application picked apart for flaws. I was asked about Ws, what I've been doing for the last few months, all of my work/activities and the like.
how did you get a second interview? I have only had one? I also participated with an optional student interview but thats it

how did you get a second interview? I have only had one? I also participated with an optional student interview but thats it
Depends on if they want to find out more. I got accepted just after one. I guess they thought they knew enough about me. It seems like the second interview is used to clear up inconsistencies or simply find out more.

Depends on if they want to find out more. I got accepted just after one. I guess they thought they knew enough about me. It seems like the second interview is used to clear up inconsistencies or simply find out more.
Yup, just had it today, that's exactly what it was for!

IS, secondary complete 8/28 and no communication since then :/ should I assume anything from this lol

I keep telling myself it's because of COVID, but bro it sucks not hearing from any schools for an II, 3 months after submitting ugh..

i know the feeling i really hope this doesn't actually mean anything and its just that they haven't gotten to us yet lmao...