2020-2021 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another question, For those who got accepted from the waitlist, did you receive an e-mail or phone call?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anywhere on SHSU's website that says they don't or do accept letters of interest? Can't seem to find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I didn’t! I heard they accept LOIs so it couldn’t hurt send one.

For those of you who have been accepted have you started on the next steps yet? Like the background check and submitting immunizations? I am still waiting on other waitlists and am not sure if there is a date everything needs to be completed by. Also, does anyone know if there is a certain day SHSU requires accepted students to commit to enrolling?

Does anyone even know if their class is already filled because I haven't heard anything from SHSU since match day?

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone even know if their class is already filled because I haven't heard anything from SHSU since match day?
I'm wondering the same since I also haven't heard back from them

Reactions: 2 users
I'm wondering the same since I also haven't heard back from them
I’m not sure if it’s different for TX schools, but it might be early for WL movement? Someone in another thread said a school hasn’t moved anyone off WL yet but we’re expecting to see things change in the next few weeks as deposits become due. Hopefully SHSU will be the same? Fingers crossed...I’m also on WL here and love the program

Reactions: 4 users
I read a comment of Facebook that SHSU sends offers to students without TMDSAS acceptances around May, just wanted to see if someone can confirm this. Does SHSU even have info about where students have been accepted?

I read a comment of Facebook that SHSU sends offers to students without TMDSAS acceptances around May, just wanted to see if someone can confirm this. Does SHSU even have info about where students have been accepted?
@Doc9201 I explained about WL actions in Texas schools over here: *~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

All waitlisted applicants to Texas schools can come in from a WL until May 15, after that only people with no other TX acceptances are eligible.

Does an acceptance to UIWSOM (part of AACOMAS not TMDSAS) count as a TX acceptance in regards to the May 15th deadline?
I don't believe it does, as UIWSOM is not part of the TMDSAS agreement among medical schools to abide by the May 15th rule. Baylor, though AMCAS this year, does abide by the May 15th date rule.

Does anyone know from last year if there was a lot of WL movement in May?

Anyone hear back regarding WL movement lately?

Reactions: 1 users
I never received an II or R from this school. Is it normal to never hear a response? Obviously at this point its an R but I just thought it was strange lol

I never received either from UTRGV and Dell. Dell I expected, but UTRGV made me do a stupid video and pay that secondary fee. The least these schools could do is have some decency to send a courtesy rejection email. Wouldn’t be surprised others are doing the same.
Amen

I just got an acceptance, but I'm deciding between KCUMB (100 year old, established) vs SHSU ( I live in Houston, close to med center). I am shooting for the stars for a competitive residency, and would be really grateful for any help!

I just got an acceptance, but I'm deciding between KCUMB (100 year old, established) vs SHSU ( I live in Houston, close to med center). I am shooting for the stars for a competitive residency, and would be really grateful for any help!
Congrats!!!! Did you get an email or a call?

Also I don’t know anything about your other school but for SHSU I think the fact that their accreditation is pending a graduating class has some effect on loans. That’s something I’d look into! Congrats again! So happy for you!
Thank you for your input! The acceptance was sent through email.

I need help deciding on which school! Feel free throw any information out there- I looked at last years thread and a few other students were in the same exact pickle.

KCUMB:

Pros:
-One of the original 5 DO schools, EVEN THOUGH I have heard that all DO students are looked at the same way as far as residencies are concerned.
-Good Match list since I want to go into something competitive

Cons:
-Dangerous city? Far from home.

SHSU

Pros:
-I am from Houston
-Possibly good networking opportunities since the Med Center isn’t too far? I am not sure If I would be able to, so if any student can educate me on how a DO student should be networking, I would greatly appreciate it.
-Does being a TMDSAS school help in anyway when it comes to networking in Texas?

Cons:
-New school.
-No hospital affiliations within Houston
-Mostly rural/ primary care focused (which isn’t really a Con, but when a school has a certain focus they lean away from others)

I need help deciding on which school! Feel free throw any information out there- I looked at last years thread and a few other students were in the same exact pickle.

KCUMB:

Pros:
-One of the original 5 DO schools, EVEN THOUGH I have heard that all DO students are looked at the same way as far as residencies are concerned.
-Good Match list since I want to go into something competitive

Cons:
-Dangerous city? Far from home.

SHSU

Pros:
-I am from Houston
-Possibly good networking opportunities since the Med Center isn’t too far? I am not sure If I would be able to, so if any student can educate me on how a DO student should be networking, I would greatly appreciate it.
-Does being a TMDSAS school help in anyway when it comes to networking in Texas?

Cons:
-New school.
-No hospital affiliations within Houston
-Mostly rural/ primary care focused (which isn’t really a Con, but when a school has a certain focus they lean away from others)
This is probably the wrong thread for this, you might want to post this in the Help me decide forums instead :)

This is probably the wrong thread for this, you might want to post this in the Help me decide forums instead :)
I did a while back and if I could get input from an SHSU student as well, that would be golden.

Hey y'all, just got off the waitlist at SHSU! I was previously accepted at another school, but now that I'm off the waitlist at SHSU does that mean they take away my previous acceptance?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey y'all, just got off the waitlist at SHSU! I was previously accepted at another school, but now that I'm off the waitlist at SHSU does that mean they take away my previous acceptance?
The choice is yours between the 2 schools.
If you prefer SHSU, accept their offer.
Next you would contact your other school and withdraw.

If you want to stick with your first school, simply thank SHSU and politely turn them down.

I did a while back and if I could get input from an SHSU student as well, that would be golden.
Congrats on the two acceptances. I ended up on a waitlist for KCU and was accepted to SHSU. If I would've gotten the acceptance from KCU, I would've gone there. I think you'll be fine at either school. I'm shooting for a competitive specialty too and am about to finish OMS-1 at Sam. It's all about the work you're willing to put in that will determine your competitiveness no matter where you choose to go. However, the established program of KCU may make that task easier.

Even though SHSU doesn't have core rotations in those hospitals, you could possibly do your electives there during 4th year and possibly some of 3rd.

Also I don’t know anything about your other school but for SHSU I think the fact that their accreditation is pending a graduating class has some effect on loans. That’s something I’d look into! Congrats again! So happy for you!
I'm not sure if this is necessarily how it works. SHSU-COM students have been able to take out loans to cover the full cost of attending.

I'm not sure if this is necessarily how it works. SHSU-COM students have been able to take out loans to cover the full cost of attending.
Okay thank you so much! I will look into this more so!

Anyone know of any recent WL movement? Hoping for some as my only other option is rvucom lol

At this point, I have been feeling really discouraged. I interviewed the first day SHSUCOM offered interviews in September and didn't hear back until March when I was waitlisted. I have been seeing many people who have been accepted off of the waitlist and interviewed much later than me. Does this mean that I most likely will not get an acceptance from this school?

• Care
At this point, I have been feeling really discouraged. I interviewed the first day SHSUCOM offered interviews in September and didn't hear back until March when I was waitlisted. I have been seeing many people who have been accepted off of the waitlist and interviewed much later than me. Does this mean that I most likely will not get an acceptance from this school?
I feel you. I interviewed in Oct and these months have been the toughest months of my life mentally with all of this waiting. And it was my only interview during the cycle 😢