2020-2021 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was in the last round of interviews. Still hoping. UH also

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was the waitlist offered to everybody that interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing my seat here, friends, good luck to all!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I interviewed Jan 29th and placed on the waitlist 3/5. I have an overall GPA of 3.7. My MCAT score is not great. However, I did get accepted to a master’s program at SHSU. Should I consider pursuing the master’s program and apply again to SHSU COM. Is it too late to hope for an acceptance seat? Need a bit of guidance here. Thanks.

I interviewed Jan 29th and placed on the waitlist 3/5. I have an overall GPA of 3.7. My MCAT score is not great. However, I did get accepted to a master’s program at SHSU. Should I consider pursuing the master’s program and apply again to SHSU COM. Is it too late to hope for an acceptance seat? Need a bit of guidance here. Thanks.
I am in the same boat as you. I accepted my 1 year Master's program offer at Rice and reapplying to med schools right now. At this point, I think you are being too optimistic to look for that waitlist offer. You should pursue your master's degree and strengthen your app for reapplying. At least accept that master's program for now and IF you do receive an offer in June(which happened to my friend at SHSUCOM) you can always withdraw your acceptance for the master's program.

At this point, I have been feeling really discouraged. I interviewed the first day SHSUCOM offered interviews in September and didn't hear back until March when I was waitlisted. I have been seeing many people who have been accepted off of the waitlist and interviewed much later than me. Does this mean that I most likely will not get an acceptance from this school?
Try to keep your head up. You'll end up where you're supposed to be eventually. I interviewed the first day last year, ended up on the waitlist, and was finally accepted last June. There's still hope!

Also, if you end up reapplying or are the last one to get accepted, don't think that will impact how successful you can be. I came in with those thoughts (applied 3 different cycles), and I was able to do really well my first year. Just take advantage of the opportunities that come your way. Best of luck.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Try to keep your head up. You'll end up where you're supposed to be eventually. I interviewed the first day last year, ended up on the waitlist, and was finally accepted last June. There's still hope!

Also, if you end up reapplying or are the last one to get accepted, don't think that will impact how successful you can be. I came in with those thoughts (applied 3 different cycles), and I was able to do really well my first year. Just take advantage of the opportunities that come your way. Best of luck.
This is great. Thank you so much

Does anyone know if the class is filled up yet? Saw on the FB Class of 2025 group that only 83 people were part of the group, but I could imagine that more people without FB accounts could also have an A from SHSU

Reactions: 4 users
I kept seeing that the waitlist movement picks up after May 15, has anyone heard about others being accepted? I only know of what I have seen on this page

Members don't see this ad :)
I kept seeing that the waitlist movement picks up after May 15, has anyone heard about others being accepted? I only know of what I have seen on this page
I have heard the same thing, I have seen a couple of people on other forums but I don't know anyone else applying to SH other than the people here. I am still hoping for an acceptance but I am studying to take the test again just in case. Good luck!

Still holding onto hope for WL movement - otherwise its back to aacomas I go😅

Reactions: 1 users
I got off the waitlist about two weeks ago. To provide an update for everyone

Are there any current students that could message me, I have a few questions that I was hoping to get answered!

Cant believe it's already June and still nothing..... 😫

Cant believe it's already June and still nothing..... 😫
I'm waitlisted also and I'm wondering if there is still any hope :( Does anyone know the answer to this? I mean is there still a chance for WL movements?

I'm waitlisted also and I'm wondering if there is still any hope :( Does anyone know the answer to this? I mean is there still a chance for WL movements?
They have to report the official class info on July 1st, so I'm assuming there could still be movement until then

I emailed admissions and they said the waitlist movement can continue until the first day of classes

Reactions: 2 users
A few posts down, the attached GroupMe has 86 people, but it includes first years, etc., so hard to say the exact number. I would think for a class size of 112, they're getting close.
Theoretically, all spots should be filled..... it will be up to people to withdraw their acceptance for spots to open. I am currently debating my acceptance and will update here to let you guys know. But I am hoping all the best for everyone. This was the second cycle I applied so I know the struggle :/

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone heard of recent wl movement? I already started the reapplication process as I'm assuming there probably wont be😅

Haven't heard anything...admissions likes to give PR-friendly responses like "waitlist movement is possible until first day of classes," but I am not optimistic at this point...
i know a current student who got off the waitlist mid july so don't lose hope!!

Just got off the waitlist! Now debating between the school I accepted and this one

Reactions: 6 users
A few posts down, the attached GroupMe has 86 people, but it includes first years, etc., so hard to say the exact number. I would think for a class size of 112, they're getting close.
How do you know the class size this year is 112? I only saw a news article which said that the class size was a little over 100...sorry if you have answered this before, just wanted to know.

good for you - do you already live in the area, or will it be a crazy fast move?
thank you! i live in the greater houston area but it’s still a bit too far to drive to and from every day so i’ll have to look for housing now

Does anyone know if there is still waitlist movement? The FB page has 111 members, but it may not be an accurate count...

Does anyone know if there is still waitlist movement? The FB page has 111 members, but it may not be an accurate count...
someone just announced getting in from the waitlist on 7/24. Facebook group numbers often aren't a good barometer because many people don't use Facebook and the group will include admins and upperclassmen.

Reactions: 2 users
Does SHSU COM send out an email when the waitlist is officially closed?

They broke my heart:cryi: I know my chances were low but it was my only interview and waitlist.

• Care
Hello all,

I will be applying next year to this school. For those who got accepted, can you guys please kindly share what your GPA/MCAT looked like? I am worried about my stats. cGPA is around 3.5 and sCPA is around 3.2, have yet to take the MCAT.

Any tips? This is my dream school and would be my number one choice. I live in Houston

Thank you so much!