-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 TCU & UNTHSC
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
congrats!!!! I received an interview invite today as well. Were there only November dates available for you?? I'm anxious that there would have been earlier dates if I would have clicked back on the calendar!II just now!!! nervous for the MMI set up but really excited!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II just now!!! nervous for the MMI set up but really excited!!!!
+1, first MD invite for me. Complete 8/14
glitterdemon
Full Member
yes early November!!! i was worried about this too but it seems like we're in the same boat 🙂 see you at the "mixer" maybe (lol)!!!!congrats!!!! I received an interview invite today as well. Were there only November dates available for you?? I'm anxious that there would have been earlier dates if I would have clicked back on the calendar!
II. Completed secondary 8/15. Felt pretty happy with my secondary responses so nice to get this first II.
II here as well. Complete 08/10, Lizzy M 71-72, in-state. Dates available for interviews were mid-late November.
Haha okay, what a relief! Congrats again!yes early November!!! i was worried about this too but it seems like we're in the same boat 🙂 see you at the "mixer" maybe (lol)!!!!
I did! I was in contact with them about a class I thought would work for physio (it didn't) and I had to clarify how I was going to fulfill the requirement. I think it does mean human eyes have seen your app, yay!Has anyone received an email from TCU regarding a missing prerequisite? I just received one and am wondering if this means they have looked over my application with human eyes?
II received today! But my date is all the way in December, do you think that'll hurt my chances here
II received today! But my date is all the way in December, do you think that'll hurt my chances here
Same here
I think it was probably the MCAT score! They probably want to see the most recent MCAT to see whether you would be more competitive! You are going to be perfectly fine, so don’t worry too much!I was complete 8/10 but no news. Not sure if my application review was delayed due to a pending retake released on 8/25 or if this means I wasn't considered for an II 🙁
What's yalls view on not getting an II when you were complete the same day as people who are getting an II? Does TCU do rolling or is it a silent R?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did! I was in contact with them about a class I thought would work for physio (it didn't) and I had to clarify how I was going to fulfill the requirement. I think it does mean human eyes have seen your app, yay!
Omg, that's the same boat I'm in now. Curious what was the time frame for when you got an II to after you resolved how you were going to complete the physio requirement?
They space out their interview invitations quite a bit. Also they are looking for a certain type of student who is empathetic and a good communicator, so the AMCAS essay and the audio secondary are going to count a lot towards decisions on interviews.What's yalls view on not getting an II when you were complete the same day as people who are getting an II? Does TCU do rolling or is it a silent R?
They emailed me about the prereq first, I figured out how I would fulfill it and responded the same day. I believe it took them a day or 2 to review it, and then a little under a month later I got the II 🙂Omg, that's the same boat I'm in now. Curious what was the time frame for when you got an II to after you resolved how you were going to complete the physio requirement?
II received today! But my date is all the way in December, do you think that'll hurt my chances here
December isn’t a late interview at all! Many of my classmates interviewed later than that.
What's yalls view on not getting an II when you were complete the same day as people who are getting an II? Does TCU do rolling or is it a silent R?
It’s rolling admissions and your application will be looked at multiple times so you’re not out of the running just because others who applied after you are getting II’s.
II just now! Complete 8/17, LM 66, OOS, non-trad. Earliest interview was 12/7!
For the "passport-style professional photo" that they require to set an interview date, will I have to go get a professional picture taken? I have a cropped headshot of myself from my sister's wedding photos that was pretty good quality, and I used it for my other secondaries that required pictures.
For the "passport-style professional photo" that they require to set an interview date, will I have to go get a professional picture taken? I have a cropped headshot of myself from my sister's wedding photos that was pretty good quality, and I used it for my other secondaries that required pictures.
Absolutely not I just used my iPhone last year haha
SirxArfsAlot
Full Member
Does anyone know if they accept application updates? If so, does anyone know what email to send it to?
@SOM AdmissionsDoes anyone know if they accept application updates? If so, does anyone know what email to send it to?
I got the same message! Can I pm you? Wondering how you’re planning on fulfilling your missing requirement/by what time they need to have the requirement fulfilled? I’m not in school currently so that makes it a little bit of a challengeThey emailed me about the prereq first, I figured out how I would fulfill it and responded the same day. I believe it took them a day or 2 to review it, and then a little under a month later I got the II 🙂
Sure! Yeah I’m not in school rn either so I had to pivot a little! Feel free to pm meI got the same message! Can I pm you? Wondering how you’re planning on fulfilling your missing requirement/by what time they need to have the requirement fulfilled? I’m not in school currently so that makes it a little bit of a challenge
They told me it must be complete by June 1st of your entering year.I got the same message! Can I pm you? Wondering how you’re planning on fulfilling your missing requirement/by what time they need to have the requirement fulfilled? I’m not in school currently so that makes it a little bit of a challenge
Hello! We do not accept updates to applications. If our admissions committee would like further information from you, we will contact you directly.Does anyone know if they accept application updates? If so, does anyone know what email to send it to?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who has completed the TCU secondary also completed VITA for any other school? I'm hearing a lot of complaints about how people are feeling about VITA, but it seems like (or at least from what I have heard, I personally haven't completed VITA yet) the structure of VITA is similar to the structure of the TCU secondary (in that you record yourself answering these pre-determined questions). I felt pretty comfortable with the TCU secondary and how it was structured, so I'm wondering if VITA is similar?
Sorry hopefully that makes sense.
Sorry hopefully that makes sense.
Has anyone who has completed the TCU secondary also completed VITA for any other school? I'm hearing a lot of complaints about how people are feeling about VITA, but it seems like (or at least from what I have heard, I personally haven't completed VITA yet) the structure of VITA is similar to the structure of the TCU secondary (in that you record yourself answering these pre-determined questions). I felt pretty comfortable with the TCU secondary and how it was structured, so I'm wondering if VITA is similar?
Sorry hopefully that makes sense.
I feel like I did much better on VITA than this secondary. Maybe something to do with being able to give facial expressions and talk with my hands? Questions were similar though.
Am I the only one who wasn't a fan of the audio secondary? Everyone on here is saying it was their favorite secondary by far but I'd much rather write an essay(s) lol.
Yeah I definitely screwed up on the first two questions... A chance to rerecord would have been nice, but not as useful to adcoms I guess .Am I the only one who wasn't a fan of the audio secondary? Everyone on here is saying it was their favorite secondary by far but I'd much rather write an essay(s) lol.
YourMomGoesToMedSchool
New Member
I felt kind of the same way. I thought that I sounded so cringy, but I did like that it was my quickest secondary to complete by far. I just find it easier to convey my thoughts in an essay rather than being put on the spot.Am I the only one who wasn't a fan of the audio secondary? Everyone on here is saying it was their favorite secondary by far but I'd much rather write an essay(s) lol.
Yeah I have a speech impediment and a stutter that is exacerbated when stressed. I hated it lolAm I the only one who wasn't a fan of the audio secondary? Everyone on here is saying it was their favorite secondary by far but I'd much rather write an essay(s) lol.
Secondary just submitted and complete. I seriously have no idea how to feel about how I did. I never say "uh" that often.
Do they need all 3 LORs? I am waiting on one more.
Do they need all 3 LORs? I am waiting on one more.
You need 3 to be complete and for your application to even be reviewed.Secondary just submitted and complete. I seriously have no idea how to feel about how I did. I never say "uh" that often.
Do they need all 3 LORs? I am waiting on one more.
Definitely get that letter in ASAP. I had a similar situation where I had to ask another professor to write me a letter. My original letter writer who I had trusted too much still hasn’t submitted my letter. I would recommend lining up another letter ASAP.
You need 3 to be complete and for your application to even be reviewed.
Definitely get that letter in ASAP. I had a similar situation where I had to ask another professor to write me a letter. My original letter writer who I had trusted too much still hasn’t submitted my letter. I would recommend lining up another letter ASAP.
Yeah. I sent a bit of a nudge.He just needs to update the date unless he chooses to alter it more. Here’s hoping I get it soon.
Received my secondary today around 5pm, submitted it around 6pm, marked complete shortly thereafter. I'm obviously incredibly excited about this school. And now the wait begins!
Does anyone know how many IIs go out vs. acceptances? I know they have 60 seats and they received ~4300 applications last year, but I couldn't figure out how many IIs they gave out.
I'm really excited about this school and am trying to be patient but also want to be realistic.
Edited because I found the answer in last year's thread. In case anybody was wondering: "This would imply they’re intending to interview between 300-350 for 60 seats. I would also guess 2 or 1.75 offers per seat given a new school and relatively high tuition for Texas and then some for waitlist. Roughly a 30% chance of acceptance outright I would guess, not including waitlist potential.
No data has been released on acceptances vs. matriculates though, there’s only been the one cycle before us."
I'm really excited about this school and am trying to be patient but also want to be realistic.
Edited because I found the answer in last year's thread. In case anybody was wondering: "This would imply they’re intending to interview between 300-350 for 60 seats. I would also guess 2 or 1.75 offers per seat given a new school and relatively high tuition for Texas and then some for waitlist. Roughly a 30% chance of acceptance outright I would guess, not including waitlist potential.
No data has been released on acceptances vs. matriculates though, there’s only been the one cycle before us."
Last edited:
Does anyone know how many IIs go out vs. acceptances? I know they have 60 seats and they received ~4300 applications last year, but I couldn't figure out how many IIs they gave out.
I'm really excited about this school and am trying to be patient but also want to be realistic.
Edited because I found the answer in last year's thread. In case anybody was wondering: "This would imply they’re intending to interview between 300-350 for 60 seats. I would also guess 2 or 1.75 offers per seat given a new school and relatively high tuition for Texas and then some for waitlist. Roughly a 30% chance of acceptance outright I would guess, not including waitlist potential.
No data has been released on acceptances vs. matriculates though, there’s only been the one cycle before us."
Oh rip, I just realized TCU isn't on here
As an MS1 I can say roughly a third of our class or so came off the waitlist. The 2 or 1.75 offers per seat you are alluding to I do not believe is true. I would venture to guess they gave 80-90 acceptances for 60 seats the last cycle. It may be hard for you to understand this; however, several of my classmates turned down other offers including many of my classmates rejecting other in-state Texas MD schools to come here!Does anyone know how many IIs go out vs. acceptances? I know they have 60 seats and they received ~4300 applications last year, but I couldn't figure out how many IIs they gave out.
I'm really excited about this school and am trying to be patient but also want to be realistic.
Edited because I found the answer in last year's thread. In case anybody was wondering: "This would imply they’re intending to interview between 300-350 for 60 seats. I would also guess 2 or 1.75 offers per seat given a new school and relatively high tuition for Texas and then some for waitlist. Roughly a 30% chance of acceptance outright I would guess, not including waitlist potential.
No data has been released on acceptances vs. matriculates though, there’s only been the one cycle before us."
Hey thanks! Yeah, I pulled that word for word from last year's thread. Wasn't sure about that number either, but also wasn't sure what it could look like. Thanks so much for the extra info. I could see why most people kept their acceptances - this school is my dream school. Everything about it just seems to vibe with me [emoji7]As an MS1 I can say roughly a third of our class or so came off the waitlist. The 2 or 1.75 offers per seat you are alluding to I do not believe is true. I would venture to guess they gave 80-90 acceptances for 60 seats the last cycle. It may be hard for you to understand this; however, several of my classmates turned down other offers including many of my classmates rejecting other in-state Texas MD schools to come here!
Have they said anything about possibly increasing the class size? I know normally new schools keep it small in the beginning, but since they're in the 3rd year they might take more than 60
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! According to last year's thread ( and maybe this year's?), they intend to keep it at 60. I think that was directly from the Admissions person too.Have they said anything about possibly increasing the class size? I know normally new schools keep it small in the beginning, but since they're in the 3rd year they might take more than 60
Have they said anything about possibly increasing the class size? I know normally new schools keep it small in the beginning, but since they're in the 3rd year they might take more than 60
@newolduser is correct. There are no intentions to increase the class size.
Hey everybody,
This has probably already been asked but is the secondary only audio responses or video as well? Is there any way to prepare for it all and any suggestions to prepare because I read it's basically designed to do spur of the moment with no preparation at all? Thank you all so much!!! ..... 🙂
This has probably already been asked but is the secondary only audio responses or video as well? Is there any way to prepare for it all and any suggestions to prepare because I read it's basically designed to do spur of the moment with no preparation at all? Thank you all so much!!! ..... 🙂
Hey everybody,
This has probably already been asked but is the secondary only audio responses or video as well? Is there any way to prepare for it all and any suggestions to prepare because I read it's basically designed to do spur of the moment with no preparation at all? Thank you all so much!!! ..... 🙂
The secondary has only audio responses so you don't need to worry about dressing up for video. You can take a look at AAMC VITA practice questions if you want an idea of similar style questions.
Understood, and thank you so much for the information! Do you know, where I can find the AAMC VITA practice questions or a link to them?The secondary has only audio responses so you don't need to worry about dressing up for video. You can take a look at AAMC VITA practice questions if you want an idea of similar style questions.