2020-2021 Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received, OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
for the st. lukes program: are admissions looking to recruit students from the area? are the stats for both programs different?

Got the "under review" email but tried to access my secondary and can't through the portal? Anyone else have that issue? Only my old application (I'm a reapplicant) comes up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have anyone’s casper results not been received even though they took it in June?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Have anyone’s casper results not been received even thought they took it in June?
Mine also says it hasn’t been received. My CASPer results have been received at every other school though. And I added all of those schools way after Temple. It will probably update with time.

Mine also says it hasn’t been received. My CASPer results have been received at every other school though. And I added all of those schools way after Temple. It will probably update with time.

Same same. I had one secondary portal (not Temple) explicitly say "give it 48 hours then call" so that's what I"ll do.

Uploading SAT/ACT scores or not to..... ? What is everyone's thoughts on this?
My scores weren't phenomenal but just okay probably 85th-90th percentile and I'm not sure if it doesn't hurt to......... My mcat also wasn't phenomenal ...........

Uploading SAT/ACT scores or not to..... ? What is everyone's thoughts on this?
My scores weren't phenomenal but just okay probably 85th-90th percentile and I'm not sure if it doesn't hurt to......... My mcat also wasn't phenomenal ...........
I really doubt that would hurt you at all

Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected.
&
What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?

Maybe I am just burnt out from prewriting 17 secondaries so far but is it just me or are these prompts similar?

Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected.
&
What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?

Maybe I am just burnt out from prewriting 17 secondaries so far but is it just me or are these prompts similar?

Pretty similar but the first allows you to talk about the specific location whereas the second you could focus on aspects of curriculum or things they have available in terms or research etc

Pretty similar but the first allows you to talk about the specific location whereas the second you could focus on aspects of curriculum or things they have available in terms or research etc

I just researched and seen that there are multiple campuses. I haven't been verified on my one throw away school yet so I guess I am jumping beyond the ball. Just like to be ready. I will be choosing whichever campus is located in a more disadvantaged community.

Thank you for your response!

How strict do you think they are on only having three letters of rec? I’m a non trad who did TFA and a career-changer postbac. They say they prefer two science professors and then either one from non-science prof or work experience. I would ideally submit three letters: one science postbac, one TFA supervisor, and one postbac premed committee letter. However, I also have a second science postbac and I also have one non-science undergrad major professor. I’m not really sure how to prioritize.

How strict do you think they are on only having three letters of rec? I’m a non trad who did TFA and a career-changer postbac. They say they prefer two science professors and then either one from non-science prof or work experience. I would ideally submit three letters: one science postbac, one TFA supervisor, and one postbac premed committee letter. However, I also have a second science postbac and I also have one non-science undergrad major professor. I’m not really sure how to prioritize.
On the site it says you can submit additional letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if the st lukes program is relatively more competitive than the regular program?

is it ok to talk about how I have a sister in phili for the clinical campus essay? and how I was born in PA?

is it ok to talk about how I have a sister in phili for the clinical campus essay? and how I was born in PA?
I think those are solid supplemental reasons but try to have the main points be about opportunities/resources specific to the campus

I think those are solid supplemental reasons but try to have the main points be about opportunities/resources specific to the campus

With the exception of the class size/rural medicine aspect for Bethlehem, I felt like the opportunities/resources specific to the campus information available was kinda limited I'm guessing the majority of the website is for the Philly campus but........ I was wondering if you/anyone had any resources?

With the exception of the class size/rural medicine aspect for Bethlehem, I felt like the opportunities/resources specific to the campus information available was kinda limited I'm guessing the majority of the website is for the Philly campus but........ I was wondering if you/anyone had any resources?

+1!

I focused on the fact that I want to go into a career where I work with the urban underserved. I explained why and what the impact of urban spaces is on health. I used up all of the character count just by doing this.

Just submitted my secondary. I briefly viewed it post submission, and it looks like the spaces that I put between my paragraphs disappeared for all essays...did this happen to anyone else? Now everything looks like one big paragraph :( I hope it won't look like that on their end.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else still having issues with their Casper test being not received even though all your other schools have it??

do you remember how long after you submitted that happened? all of my stuff is received but I haven't gotten an email haha. sorry for being neurotic, I just want to make sure I didn't click the wrong link at the beginning of the cycle and mess the application up
For me it took about a day from when the last of my stuff got sent and received

Anyone else still having issues with their Casper test being not received even though all your other schools have it??
I emailed them as I was having the same issue after a few days from submitting. Apparently they upload CASPer scores once a week, so I just needed to wait another few days.

Submitted, OOS 7/31

Also still waiting for my CASPer results to be received. It’s been one week already. What’s the hold up lol.

Anyone else with a 6/28 Casper still waiting for tests to show as "received?" Mine have already been received at all my other schools.

Anyone else with a 6/28 Casper still waiting for tests to show as "received?" Mine have already been received at all my other schools.
Yes. I took it the same day. Same issue.

Check your portals. My CASPer has now been received. Fully complete. Looks like they might process CASPer results every Monday?

I took CASPer in May and it still hasn't been received by Temple :( I turned in my secondary over a week ago

I took CASPer in May and it still hasn't been received by Temple :( I turned in my secondary over a week ago
I recommend going into your CASPer account to verify you indeed added Temple as a designated school, and if you did, then probably worth contacting Temple to see what's up.

Just submitted my secondary. I briefly viewed it post submission, and it looks like the spaces that I put between my paragraphs disappeared for all essays...did this happen to anyone else? Now everything looks like one big paragraph :( I hope it won't look like that on their end.
This happened to me too... Did you or anyone else get any contact back from them on this?

I’ve heard the Bethlehem campus is less competitive. Does anyone know if this is true? I’m a reapplicant and just want whichever is my best shot lol.

Has anyone inquired about whether Temple will be using CASPer Snapshot?

This is not based in anything besides CASPer being developed at McMasters....but I have a feeling Canadian schools are using it.

@MedScat and current Temple students

Can you comment on if there is a difference in research availability at the main vs. Bethlehem campus? From the website, it seems to me that a majority of the research is on the main campus. The basic science departments are all there. The Bethlehem campus has some clinical trials

I doubt any school will use it, as not everyone gets the opportunity to take it. After I took mine it didn't give me such option at all (nothing beyond the exit survey).

@MedScat and current Temple students

Can you comment on if there is a difference in research availability at the main vs. Bethlehem campus? From the website, it seems to me that a majority of the research is on the main campus. The basic science departments are all there. The Bethlehem campus has some clinical trials
The majority of research is 100% mostly at the main campus. I'm not sure how much research is available in Bethlehem but they don't have the Medical Education Research Building like we do here at the main campus with multiple labs working on many large research projects.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if Bethlehem has any specific rural curriculum or groups or anything? I was going to write about my desire to practice medicine in a rural area in the “why this campus” essay, but I can’t really find anything on the St. Luke’s website.

Anyone know how we can check the status of our app? I submitted mid July but I can't even see if I'm complete or not on the portal, unless I'm not looking correctly lol

Anyone know how we can check the status of our app? I submitted mid July but I can't even see if I'm complete or not on the portal, unless I'm not looking correctly lol
I don't believe there is a way to check your status (under review, etc.,), but if you click on the link contained in your complete email and then scroll down to the bottom of "my account," it will give you a list of completed steps, and one of them will be your completion date. Hopefully, this helps :shrug:

• Care
I think the only way to really check the status is wait for some communication from the adcoms. You cannot see their internal status (except for rare cases).

I'm currently answering the question, "Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected."

Does anyone know if it's accurate to refer to the Temple University Health System and affiliates as the "main campus" throughout my essay?

Does anyone know if it's accurate to refer to the Temple University Health System and affiliates as the "main campus" throughout my essay?

I think yes. It's bigger, most of the structures are there, other departments besides SOM are located exclusively there etc. While 2° are formal they're not a letter to a president ;)

Does anyone know if Bethlehem has any specific rural curriculum or groups or anything? I was going to write about my desire to practice medicine in a rural area in the “why this campus” essay, but I can’t really find anything on the St. Luke’s website.

That's my impression. I'm also writing about a rural focus.

I'm an urm with a 505 mcat which is below the 10% on msar. Should I even submit my secondary. Everything else in my app is pretty adv.

I'm an urm with a 505 mcat which is below the 10% on msar. Should I even submit my secondary. Everything else in my app is pretty adv.
I had a 504, im a URM and was below the 10% on MSAR and here I am a M3 at Temple. Temple values someone invested in the community so if you have a lot of volunteer work and experiences, I would 100% still apply.

EDIT: I also want to mention that I was within the earliest interviews and was accepted right on Oct 15 so, don't think low stats will mean you're at the end of their list either. If you get invited for an interview, you are immediately just as competitive as your peers with 510+

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 18 users
I had a 504, im a URM and was below the 10% on MSAR and here I am a M3 at Temple. Temple values someone invested in the community so if you have a lot of volunteer work and experiences, I would 100% still apply.

EDIT: I also want to mention that I was within the earliest interviews and was accepted right on Oct 15 so, don't think low stats will mean you're at the end of their list either. If you get invited for an interview, you are immediately just as competitive as your peers with 510+
wow great! can you tell me a few things you like about the school?