2020-2021 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 2 users
So I saw this on USUHS' MSAR and saw this:

Plan to Enroll in AMCASFebruary 19, 2021
Narrow Accepts in AMCASApril 15, 2021
Commit to Enroll in AMCASApril 30, 2021

I just want to confirm that this is still accurate for USUHS - I don't want to mess around with PTE until April but also don't want to mess something up. We have until April 15th to PTE for USU, correct?

So I saw this on USUHS' MSAR and saw this:

Plan to Enroll in AMCASFebruary 19, 2021
Narrow Accepts in AMCASApril 15, 2021
Commit to Enroll in AMCASApril 30, 2021

I just want to confirm that this is still accurate for USUHS - I don't want to mess around with PTE until April but also don't want to mess something up. We have until April 15th to PTE for USU, correct?

I’m not exactly sure, but I’m assuming it’s accurate for all MD schools, including USUHS, as the dates are set by the AAMC

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Long time lurker here but I have to ask since its really starting to make me nervous.

Interviewed 14 September but haven't heard back since. No email, no call, no update in AMCAS. Is this normal? I just want to know if there are any updates since I have received nothing. No rejected, no waitlist, nothing. I am active duty Airforce but applying through Army (already gone through the whole process which was a huge pain but finally got approved). Anyone have any advice? Reached out to my councilor and she said there is nothing I can do but wait.

Side question, what does pre-I and pre-II mean?

EDIT:

Good morning all,

Quick update on my previous post dated 24 Feb 2021, just want to clarify I have been in contact with my admissions advisor and the head of admissions at the school for quite some time now. What I meant by "Interviewed 14 September but haven't heard back since. No email, no call, no update in AMCAS. Is this normal?" was I did not hear any updates on acceptance, rejection, waitlist, ect. The admissions council has been very helpful throughout the last couple months, I just have not heard word back on the acceptance/rejection part of things. Also the process that was a pain was on the Air Force side of things, more administrative and finding the different parties involved, not on USUHS side.

Just want to clarify things and all.

Also thanks for the info on what pre-I/pre-II mean! Was very confused about it.

EDIT EDIT:

Realized my mistake. Was awaiting that approval to get things rolling. Took me a while but I found the reference. Just got buried under some other stuff. Ignore the above messages...

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
First of all, I'm so sorry that you haven't heard back yet after your interview! I would say that it's probably a good thing, if anything. They're still handing out acceptances post-interview, and that likely means you're still in the running for an outright acceptance. I hope you hear back soon, and that it's an acceptance! :) Hang in there

First of all, I'm so sorry that you haven't heard back yet after your interview! I would say that it's probably a good thing, if anything. They're still handing out acceptances post-interview, and that likely means you're still in the running for an outright acceptance. I hope you hear back soon, and that it's an acceptance! :) Hang in there
Anyone know if they have sent out any rejections yet?

Hey all,

Long time lurker here but I have to ask since its really starting to make me nervous.

Interviewed 14 September but haven't heard back since. No email, no call, no update in AMCAS. Is this normal? I just want to know if there are any updates since I have received nothing. No rejected, no waitlist, nothing. I am active duty Airforce but applying through Army (already gone through the whole process which was a huge pain but finally got approved). Anyone have any advice? Reached out to my councilor and she said there is nothing I can do but wait.

Side question, what does pre-I and pre-II mean?
To answer your side question, pre-I/pre-II means pre-interview/interview invite

Also received the pre-II hold -> R; kind of expected it with last interview dates this week. Good luck to everyone awaiting a decision and thank you for your service.

Also want to comment that I submitted very late, about mid-late October, and I do believe that had an impact on my chances.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
Also got the pre-II hold -> R. I'm not super surprised. I get get into a school regional to USUHS so I might see some of you guys around at the NIH doing research!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Post-II R today. Interviewed week of 12/7. Fortunate to have an acceptance at an in state school and still pursuing HPSP. Good luck to all!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II Hold on 11/24 -> Rejection today 2/25

See you on the next cycle! Good luck to everyone else still waiting. :)

• Care
  • Sad
Post II R...interviewed week of 1/4. Kinda surprised at how fast they got back to me? I felt so optimistic about at least getting on the waitlist. I had to get reweighed and do the BCT (which I passed) and 2 minutes after the commissioning coordinator replied to my email saying he received my DA Form 5500 I received an email from USUHS with the R letter. Idk if i'm being neurotic but the timing of that is so weird.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Hey ya'll! just curious what're the exercises done for the physical requirements test? what are the minimum (passing) numbers?

+1 pre II hold -> R hurts a little but genuinely excited to pursue HPSP at another great program. Good luck to the rest still waiting!

• Care
  • Sad
Finally got that R I've been waiting for. For those accepted and opting AF, see ya in four years!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
You want to challenge yourself try to get into Expert Field Medical Badge (EFMB) testing. It would likely be Permissive TDY rather than funded but others at USUHS from Navy have participated. https://medcoe.army.mil/efmb

In the Airforce you could also go into Special Operations Surgical Team (SOTS). Other branches might have something similar if you look into it

Isn't that after residency though?
Yes. But if its something that you (or anyone) wants to do, they should keep it in the back of their mind. STS/SOP guys/gals are hardcore in their physical fitness and its something that should be maintained. Also, I believe OP was about airborne school, which requires similar high standards of physical fitness and it is something that most civilians (if any) get to do.

Yes. But if its something that you (or anyone) wants to do, they should keep it in the back of their mind. STS/SOP guys/gals are hardcore in their physical fitness and its something that should be maintained. Also, I believe OP was about airborne school, which requires similar high standards of physical fitness and it is something that most civilians (if any) get to do.

I mean airborne is cool, but let’s not make it seem like you have to be in SEAL shape. The APFT requirements were a 60 on everything. For the average-aged (22-26) med student, that’s 40 push-ups (17 for females), 50 sit-ups, and a 16:36 2-mile run (19:36 for females). Those standards aren’t really that difficult. It’s literally the minimum passing score. Not sure what the standards are going to be with the ACFT but I imagine they will be similar in fitness level.

How many other post-II holds are there counting the days until March 22? I wish it would come sooner cause I’m ready to move on with my life

Officially withdrawing from the post II hold list today, unfortunately I was denied a medical waiver and appeal for a condition I did not know about. I wish everyone here the best of luck.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Officially withdrawing from the post II hold list today, unfortunately I was denied a medical waiver and appeal for a condition I did not know about. I wish everyone here the best of luck.
Good luck with everything!

Anyone know the shortest amount of time it can take to hear back after an interview? For example, is it possible that a strong candidate could be reviewed at the next committee meeting? Or does it always take at least month?

They post it on Uniformed Services University (usuhs.edu)

1614895089034.png

The actual waitlist? That’s great news actually. A waitlist at another school isn’t great, but here it’s almost a guaranteed acceptance.

The letter said "recommended for acceptance" and that this was not the alternate list.

I am glad that it is almost a guaranteed acceptance. But I am also trying to plan a marriage and a move, ect, and I can't really make any decisions until things are finalized.

Hopefully I'm competitive on their WL (prior service, 518/3.87) and can get a definitive decision sooner rather than later. Any idea as to whether a LOI is worthwhile if I have other acceptances? I know it's a question that gets beat down a lot I just don't see the point in writing one if there is no one to convince and it's simply a matter of waiting for a boatspace. That said, I'd prefer to be proactive if it would help.

• Hmm
  • Care
The letter said "recommended for acceptance" and that this was not the alternate list.

I am glad that it is almost a guaranteed acceptance. But I am also trying to plan a marriage and a move, ect, and I can't really make any decisions until things are finalized.

Hopefully I'm competitive on their WL (prior service, 518/3.87) and can get a definitive decision sooner rather than later. Any idea as to whether a LOI is worthwhile if I have other acceptances? I know it's a question that gets beat down a lot I just don't see the point in writing one if there is no one to convince and it's simply a matter of waiting for a boatspace. That said, I'd prefer to be proactive if it would help.
I would assume that a LOI can't hurt (if written properly) because it helps reaffirm the fact that you really want to attend USU. Whether or not it'll facilitate a final decision is unknown but I'd send one if I were you. I would even argue that your other acceptances can help fortify the strength of your LOI. Would love to hear other opinions

• Hmm

It won’t hurt. Especially if you have another acceptance. At worst it wouldn’t help, but it’s always good to keep yourself on their mind and to show you are committed to the school.

But essentially your chances of getting a seat are excellent. You essentially are just waiting for a seat to open up. It’s obviously not 100%, but it’s really high a LOT of people either withdraw or get DQed.

Anyone know the shortest amount of time it can take to hear back after an interview? For example, is it possible that a strong candidate could be reviewed at the next committee meeting? Or does it always take at least month?
I think the timelines USU posted are guidelines. Interviewed week of 11/30/20. Accepted on 01/13/21.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
a question from someone applying next cycle. i'm coming from the guard, at what point do i need to have a conditional release? like can i interview before i get one, can i get accepted before i get one? i'm starting the process of asking now but getting anything signed by BN, let alone BDE, is like pulling teeth. i don't want my file to be sitting as incomplete until this time next year because of a stupid form.

a question from someone applying next cycle. i'm coming from the guard, at what point do i need to have a conditional release? like can i interview before i get one, can i get accepted before i get one? i'm starting the process of asking now but getting anything signed by BN, let alone BDE, is like pulling teeth. i don't want my file to be sitting as incomplete until this time next year because of a stupid form.
I applied as a reservist. You do not need the conditional release done to do the interview. But you do need that resolved in order to be accepted.
I would start the process asap. If you apply for HPSP, you go through the conditional release anyway.
I think I saw another applicant from the previous cycle who was a reservist that ultimately wasn't accepted (unconditionally) because he/she couldn't get out in time.
Conditional release can take such a long time (in the worst case, I saw someone wait for up to a year). But to sum it up, you don't need that done in order to get an interview.

I applied as a reservist. You do not need the conditional release done to do the interview. But you do need that resolved in order to be accepted.
I would start the process asap. If you apply for HPSP, you go through the conditional release anyway.
I think I saw another applicant from the previous cycle who was a reservist that ultimately wasn't accepted (unconditionally) because he/she couldn't get out in time.
Conditional release can take such a long time (in the worst case, I saw someone wait for up to a year). But to sum it up, you don't need that done in order to get an interview.
awesome, thanks for the info. i'm not planning on doing HPSP, only USUHS. yeah i'm planning on starting the process right away, just wanted to know if i needed to push them to get it done to be even considered for an interview.

I recently completed my physical through DoDMERB and was asked for additional medical information code R100.00 ("Please provide copies of ALL treatment and/or hospitalization records REGARDING recurrent hypertension"). My blood pressure was normal at the physical.

If I've never been treated nor hospitalized for my high blood pressure in the past, should I provide medical records of my past physical exams (no prior service)? I've been trying to call my physician but it seems that her office is temporarily closed and I now live like 2 hours away. I've also called and emailed my medical records technician and they never really answered the question.

I recently completed my physical through DoDMERB and was asked for additional medical information code R100.00 ("Please provide copies of ALL treatment and/or hospitalization records REGARDING recurrent hypertension"). My blood pressure was normal at the physical.

If I've never been treated nor hospitalized for my high blood pressure in the past, should I provide medical records of my past physical exams (no prior service)? I've been trying to call my physician but it seems that her office is temporarily closed and I now live like 2 hours away. I've also called and emailed my medical records technician and they never really answered the question.

I would ask for clarification on this and see preemptively get all medical records regarding your blood pressure/hypertension. Did anything come up during your physical that suggested you may have hypertension (past medical history, parents history, etc?, also this is a rhetorical question for you to think about, I obviously don't want you to reveal your medical history on SDN).

Just got offered a spot on the waitlist! Interviewed the week of January 11!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Just got waitlisted! I interviewed the week of January 11

Reactions: 3 users

If you haven't received an answer from your 'technician' and your USUHS contact can't help you, you could send an email with your question to [email protected] His job title is Deputy Director of DoDMERB. Include your full name and last four of your SSN in the body of the email. Be professional - don't complain, explain the situation and ask what can be done to resolve the request for records that don't exist. Did you inadvertently answer yes to a hypertension question? Ensure you indicate you are a USUHS applicant.

If you haven't received an answer from your 'technician' and your USUHS contact can't help you, you could send an email with your question to [email protected] His job title is Deputy Director of DoDMERB. Include your full name and last four of your SSN in the body of the email. Be professional - don't complain, explain the situation and ask what can be done to resolve the request for records that don't exist. Did you inadvertently answer yes to a hypertension question? Ensure you indicate you are a USUHS applicant.
Thank you for this - the technician responded and told me to write up a comprehensive statement about my situation, sign and date it in pen, and scan/upload it as a PDF. To this date, my primary care physician has yet to respond to my calls and her office remains closed.

I was honest with my medical questionnaire and answered "yes" to "history of hypertension" though my BP has been pretty normal in the past year and a half.

Last edited: