2020-2021 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II. Complete 7/13. 520/3.93 OOS

Reactions: 3 users
wow, props to you guys for having that autobio ready to go on day 1! best of luck with the interview and here's to hoping our time comes soon for my fellow submitted-later friends

Reactions: 2 users
II received, submitted 7/10, 519/3.88, OOS, ORM

Has anyone signed up yet? It says they offer morning and afternoon sessions, but there was no opportunity to choose when choosing a date.

II received, submitted 7/10, 519/3.88, OOS, ORM

Has anyone signed up yet? It says they offer morning and afternoon sessions, but there was no opportunity to choose when choosing a date.
Yeah I just signed up for a date, I didn't see another option either

II received! OOS, completed secondary 7/13, but my letter packet didn't go in until the 20th so that's when I was completed

edit: they let me change it!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
edit: they let me change my interview date!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Good luck everyone! My MCAT is a bit below their median, so hoping to join you with an II later in the season :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Really not a fan of their “welcome” page on the portal. Why are you telling me about things like sorry we couldn’t welcome you in person here’s our housing and moving to Nashville info if I haven’t even been offered an interview?

How do we know if we were given a morning or afternoon interview schedule? I was able to select a date, but nothing else.

How do we know if we were given a morning or afternoon interview schedule? I was able to select a date, but nothing else.
@pennylane8991

I reached out to the adcom yesterday, they said that they will try to match everyone with a morning/afternoon session based on our geographic location, but that not everyone will be able to get a preferable block. So we should keep the entire block open just in case. They'll let us know a couple weeks out from the date we chose.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who have received II, did your app say under review? Mine still says "your application is ready" so I am not sure if its in the queue or under review

Just received a secondary with a 510 if there are any more dreamers out there with me, submitted primary on 8/6

Reactions: 3 users
In addressing the "challenge" secondary prompt, I see that there has been a lot of discussion about discussing personal vs. professional challenges. However, I am having difficulty distinguishing between the two. Can someone provide a generic example of a personal or professional challenge?

In addressing the "challenge" secondary prompt, I see that there has been a lot of discussion about discussing personal vs. professional challenges. However, I am having difficulty distinguishing between the two. Can someone provide a generic example of a personal or professional challenge?
I wrote about a professional challenge. My example was a mishap at work (non-healthcare field) that I was involved with; it resulted in property damage and a mishap investigation. I wrote about the incident, how I dealt with the stress of the investigation, the aftermath, what I learned, etc. (answered the prompt). Although it affected me personally, I consider this a professional challenge. While, a personal challenge might be dealing with a family member's illness, etc.

Thanks @WindmillChaser92 and @ChemEtoMD23. I'll ask you both (and everyone else) their advice on choosing my essay topic then. I could either discuss A) my challenging transition to college, working to support myself, and how this situation contributed to me failing a class. I would also talk about what I learned and how I addressed these challenges. I could also write about B) a challenging situation I was in as an EMT, where I had to make a rapid judgment call on how to best keep a psychiatric patient from harming themself in my care.

Does anyone know if this place is rolling admissions?
Stop spamming this on every school. You can easily find this yourself just by looking at the schools site

Rolling them where?

Vanderbilt is so on top of their game, so I did not know if they were also accepting/making decisions known to applicants within a certain time frame post interview like some other schools.

For those that got II did your status change before your II from Application Ready

I tried. Not spam, you could ignore it. Thx :)
It's on Vandy's website.
1597971258964.png

For the additional documents you can upload after submitting the secondary, did anyone actually upload a publication or a CV? I looked online and could not find their policy on it.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Or maybe stats aren’t everything and he has a fantastic app...

• Care
Vandy is known as a stat wh0re school (as some adcoms call it ) and given your MCAT score of 513 I thought you may be an URM.
How do you know if a school is all about stats or not? Is it word-of-mouth? Are there schools that have high GPA and MCAT medians that are not "stat wh*res", and it just so happens their entering class has high GPA and MCAT? I am slightly confused by how some prestigious schools get this label and some don't.

How do you know if a school is all about stats or not? Is it word-of-mouth? Are there schools that have high GPA and MCAT medians that are not "stat wh*res", and it just so happens their entering class has high GPA and MCAT? I am slightly confused by how some prestigious schools get this label and some don't.
You look at the data in MSAR or some of the consultants sites. Vandy and WashU are known for high stats. Here is one of those sites.

You can sort by MCAT or GPA

Really not a fan of their “welcome” page on the portal. Why are you telling me about things like sorry we couldn’t welcome you in person here’s our housing and moving to Nashville info if I haven’t even been offered an interview?
I disagree, I liked that touch and it made the school a lot more welcoming.

Reactions: 5 users
It's partly word-of-mouth, but I think it can also be seen by looking at the 10th and 90th percentiles. Perfect example is Harvard has a broader MCAT and GPA range than Vandy or WashU, but nobody is going to argue that Vandy/WashU have better med schools or are more prestigious than Harvard.

Then with WashU, take a look at peer schools like Duke and Cornell, who are just as prestigious and renowned but have a much wider MCAT/GPA range.

I am kinda with you that I think the way they're labeled is arbitrary though, because nobody labels Hopkins as such bc of their name, but they clearly are when you glance at their stats and MCAT/GPA range.

It's partly word-of-mouth, but I think it can also be seen by looking at the 10th and 90th percentiles. Perfect example is Harvard has a broader MCAT and GPA range than Vandy or WashU, but nobody is going to argue that Vandy/WashU have better med schools or are more prestigious than Harvard.

Then with WashU, take a look at peer schools like Duke and Cornell, who are just as prestigious and renowned but have a much wider MCAT/GPA range.

I am kinda with you that I think the way they're labeled is arbitrary though, because nobody labels Hopkins as such bc of their name, but they clearly are when you glance at their stats and MCAT/GPA range.
Vandy is ranked between 15-20 and Harvard and Hopkins are ranked 1 and 2 but Vandy GPA and MCAT ranges are higher.

Vandy is ranked between 15-20 and Harvard and Hopkins are ranked 1 and 2 but Vandy GPA and MCAT ranges are higher.
Well yes, that was my point in the first paragraph lol

Although, to be very clear, the rankings are absolute trash and useless lol

At the same time you said calling them stats heavy is arbitrary and word of the mouth lol
It is arbitrary, bc Hopkins has much higher stats than Harvard, which is usually seen as a more prestigious school. And there are other examples with stats-heavy schools not viewed as such deapite having much higher stats than their peer institutions.

It is arbitrary, bc Hopkins has much higher stats than Harvard, which is usually seen as a more prestigious school. And there are other examples with stats-heavy schools not viewed as such deapite having much higher stats than their peer institutions.
In most rankings (in medicine) they ranked 1 and 2.