You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Vanderbilt
Started by TheDataKing
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I’n just glad it’s not an R lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same. RIPI didn’t get this email 🙁
+2 🙁 maybe we're not in the queue even?Same. RIP
+3Same. RIP
I didn't get that email and I was complete first week of October. However, I have sent them two update emails which they received positively regarding publication acceptances!
Update: Just got the email and almost had a heart attack. Complete early august
I was also complete mid-July and just received the email.I think for those of us who didn't get this email, it means that our applications have already been reviewed. I was complete mid July. For those who did get this email, when were you complete?
Yeah same, I don't think the email really means anything
CoolRanchDoritos
Full Member
Complete mid-september
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Update for me too 🙂 just got itUpdate: Just got the email and almost had a heart attack. Complete early august
Just got the email, complete 8/2. I was worried it was a soft R but I guess there's hope 🙂
Maybe they might interview more people. The interview tracker says they're over halfway to 550/650, which is the amount they'd interview in a normal (until January) interview cycle. But they said they were extending from January until "well into February" and they also said they wanted to interview as many people as possibleYeah same, I don't think the email really means anything
10thousndhrs
Full Member
Also got the email. Was complete 8/19. How many Rs do y'all think have already been given out?
Yeah idk why some ppl haven’t gotten that email. Lol. Yet.
D
deleted1075353
+1 I agree with this meaning that we were put in the "not bad, maybe later" pile and they're getting around to finally reviewing us
Got it; complete late-July.
Thought it was an R when I saw the message. Not sure that this makes me feel better haha
Thought it was an R when I saw the message. Not sure that this makes me feel better haha
Just got the delay email. Complete 8/10 LM 76.
This is like BU all over again
Vanderbuilding up my expectations >_>
Well I didn't get the update from BU and I got rejected, so I am going to believe that this email is a good thing🙂This is like BU all over again
fadeinandout
Full Member
Got the same email, complete late July, LM 77
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
knock on wood but i aint hadda hold email from a school yet. is this the same kinda emails that schools send to people on hold?
No, this is basically them informing you they've changed their timeline and that you can expect to receive interviews into December/January when previously they would've stopped their first set by early December.
Hold e-mails are much more explicit and usually state something along the lines of "We've reviewed you and are not making a final decision."
Last edited:
D
deleted1062149
Interesting email. I hope we hear back soon.
Saw the buzz on this thread about a recent e-mail, and thought I'd chime in. I interviewed here very recently (complete late-July), and the Director of Admissions specifically addressed the 26% increase in applicants this year at the end of the day. She said the admissions office will be sending acceptance decisions in Dec, Feb, and Mar. She said they normally do two waves of decisions, but are doing three this year because of the increased time needed to review and interview applicants. During the interview they go over the review process and the how/what/when of communicating with and updating the admissions office. Good luck everyone!
If you guys will accept the thoughts of an interested observer who didn't apply this cycle, I think the e-mail is good news for anyone who hasn't received an II yet.
My interpretation, after dismissing the language about transcript delays, etc., is that, given the large unexpected increase in applications, they want to see more people than usual to prepare themselves to build a larger than normal WL in case their yield ends up dropping. It seems reasonable since, based on posts from adcoms in a position to know, while applications are up 25%, applicants are not up nearly that much (maybe 5%). This means a lot of people are just submitting more applications, which increases the risk that schools like Vandy will face more competition for the 650 they normally interview (because they might also be interviewing at more peer schools).
Maybe this will turn out to be true, maybe not, but it sounds like they are preparing for the possibility, by extending the interview season in order to interview more people. This isn't so good if you already interviewed, since you will now be facing more competition, but it's awesome if it puts you in a position to get an interview you otherwise wouldn't have had. JMHO, but it seems very logical if they are going to have a third wave of acceptances and an additional month of interviews. I'll bet anything they will have more than 650 interviews and a significantly larger than normal WL this cycle. This should result in more people ultimately receiving As if their yield does in fact drop. Good luck everyone!!! 😎
My interpretation, after dismissing the language about transcript delays, etc., is that, given the large unexpected increase in applications, they want to see more people than usual to prepare themselves to build a larger than normal WL in case their yield ends up dropping. It seems reasonable since, based on posts from adcoms in a position to know, while applications are up 25%, applicants are not up nearly that much (maybe 5%). This means a lot of people are just submitting more applications, which increases the risk that schools like Vandy will face more competition for the 650 they normally interview (because they might also be interviewing at more peer schools).
Maybe this will turn out to be true, maybe not, but it sounds like they are preparing for the possibility, by extending the interview season in order to interview more people. This isn't so good if you already interviewed, since you will now be facing more competition, but it's awesome if it puts you in a position to get an interview you otherwise wouldn't have had. JMHO, but it seems very logical if they are going to have a third wave of acceptances and an additional month of interviews. I'll bet anything they will have more than 650 interviews and a significantly larger than normal WL this cycle. This should result in more people ultimately receiving As if their yield does in fact drop. Good luck everyone!!! 😎
Last edited:
You've also submitted super recently - a lot of schools send these sorts of emails out in waves by complete date. Don't worry too much yet.Dang, I never received the email - it's not even on my application portal under the Communications Status tab... 🙁 Anyone else? I guess it's a soft rejection...Complete 10/26.
Thank you so much for the feedback! You make a fair point, and I hope you're right.You've also submitted super recently - a lot of schools send these sorts of emails out in waves by complete date. Don't worry too much yet.
Dang, I never received the email - it's not even on my application portal under the Communications Status tab... 🙁 Anyone else? I guess it's a soft rejection...Complete 10/26.
The email was also specifically addressed to people who hadn't been reviewed, so your app may have already been reviewed - I don't think it necessarily means a soft R!
I feel that's low-key a bit more concerning - if I have been reviewed already after being complete later in the cycle and not been offered an interview yet, maybe I was put in the rejection pile for when they release their first wave of decisions in DecemberThe email was also specifically addressed to people who hadn't been reviewed, so your app may have already been reviewed - I don't think it necessarily means a soft R!
I feel that's low-key a bit more concerning - if I have been reviewed already after being complete later in the cycle and not been offered an interview yet, maybe I was put in the rejection pile for when they release their first wave of decisions in December🙁
Not necessarily! I received a II from a school just a few weeks after I submitted, the same thing may happen to you! 🙂
Ugh, I hope you're right! 🙁Not necessarily! I received a II from a school just a few weeks after I submitted, the same thing may happen to you! 🙂
I was complete 9/21. Didn't receive the email either. Noticing a trend with late complete dates and not receiving the email. Can we get more data points?
Complete mid-August and got the email
I didn't receive the email either. Note that I applied MSTP, so this might be why,Dang, I never received the email - it's not even on my application portal under the Communications Status tab... 🙁 Anyone else? I guess it's a soft rejection...Complete 10/26.
fadeinandout
Full Member
while applications are up 25%, applicants are not up nearly that much (maybe 5%).
What do you mean by this?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1053887
I got the email and was complete 7/29. I thought they would have reviewed mine by now...
People are applying to more schools this year, so number of applications goes up even before considering increase in number of applicants.What do you mean by this?
D
deleted1075353
People are applying to more schools this year, so number of applications goes up even before considering increase in number of applicants.
Evidence? I would guess this is true but I personally have not seen any corroborating data.
Note that I'm not KnightDoc. I was answering your question about what he meant in his post. I have not seen any evidence cited for most of the increase in applications coming from an increase in the average of programs applied for. Still, I can see the logic in applying for more programs this year with uncertainty surrounding COVID, virtual interviews (and decreased time/cost for interviews), the economy taking a hit, and to increase chances of interviews/admittances given the increased number of applicants to each school.Evidence? I would guess this is true but I personally have not seen any corroborating data.
I didn't apply MSTP, so who knows why I didn't get the email... 🙁I didn't receive the email either. Note that I applied MSTP, so this might be why,