2020-2021 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah!!! it's nice that they sent that email tbh. have they sent out any Rs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think for those of us who didn't get this email, it means that our applications have already been reviewed. I was complete mid July. For those who did get this email, when were you complete?

I didn't get that email and I was complete first week of October. However, I have sent them two update emails which they received positively regarding publication acceptances!

Update: Just got the email and almost had a heart attack. Complete early august

I think for those of us who didn't get this email, it means that our applications have already been reviewed. I was complete mid July. For those who did get this email, when were you complete?
I was also complete mid-July and just received the email.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also just got the email. Complete 7/21 in a 4-day turn around after receiving the secondary. Seems hard to believe that my app wouldn't have been reviewed AT ALL yet.

Just got the email, complete 8/2. I was worried it was a soft R but I guess there's hope :)

Yeah same, I don't think the email really means anything
Maybe they might interview more people. The interview tracker says they're over halfway to 550/650, which is the amount they'd interview in a normal (until January) interview cycle. But they said they were extending from January until "well into February" and they also said they wanted to interview as many people as possible

Also got the email. Was complete 8/19. How many Rs do y'all think have already been given out?

i really hope its a good email. complete 9/6 lizzy m~76

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah idk why some ppl haven’t gotten that email. Lol. Yet.

+1 I agree with this meaning that we were put in the "not bad, maybe later" pile and they're getting around to finally reviewing us

Got it; complete late-July.

Thought it was an R when I saw the message. Not sure that this makes me feel better haha

Vanderbuilding up my expectations >_>

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Complete day 1 and my file hasn't been reviewed yet? Sus.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
knock on wood but i aint hadda hold email from a school yet. is this the same kinda emails that schools send to people on hold?

knock on wood but i aint hadda hold email from a school yet. is this the same kinda emails that schools send to people on hold?

No, this is basically them informing you they've changed their timeline and that you can expect to receive interviews into December/January when previously they would've stopped their first set by early December.

Hold e-mails are much more explicit and usually state something along the lines of "We've reviewed you and are not making a final decision."

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Saw the buzz on this thread about a recent e-mail, and thought I'd chime in. I interviewed here very recently (complete late-July), and the Director of Admissions specifically addressed the 26% increase in applicants this year at the end of the day. She said the admissions office will be sending acceptance decisions in Dec, Feb, and Mar. She said they normally do two waves of decisions, but are doing three this year because of the increased time needed to review and interview applicants. During the interview they go over the review process and the how/what/when of communicating with and updating the admissions office. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
If you guys will accept the thoughts of an interested observer who didn't apply this cycle, I think the e-mail is good news for anyone who hasn't received an II yet.

My interpretation, after dismissing the language about transcript delays, etc., is that, given the large unexpected increase in applications, they want to see more people than usual to prepare themselves to build a larger than normal WL in case their yield ends up dropping. It seems reasonable since, based on posts from adcoms in a position to know, while applications are up 25%, applicants are not up nearly that much (maybe 5%). This means a lot of people are just submitting more applications, which increases the risk that schools like Vandy will face more competition for the 650 they normally interview (because they might also be interviewing at more peer schools).

Maybe this will turn out to be true, maybe not, but it sounds like they are preparing for the possibility, by extending the interview season in order to interview more people. This isn't so good if you already interviewed, since you will now be facing more competition, but it's awesome if it puts you in a position to get an interview you otherwise wouldn't have had. JMHO, but it seems very logical if they are going to have a third wave of acceptances and an additional month of interviews. I'll bet anything they will have more than 650 interviews and a significantly larger than normal WL this cycle. This should result in more people ultimately receiving As if their yield does in fact drop. Good luck everyone!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Dang, I never received the email - it's not even on my application portal under the Communications Status tab... :( Anyone else? I guess it's a soft rejection... :arghh: Complete 10/26.

Dang, I never received the email - it's not even on my application portal under the Communications Status tab... :( Anyone else? I guess it's a soft rejection... :arghh: Complete 10/26.
You've also submitted super recently - a lot of schools send these sorts of emails out in waves by complete date. Don't worry too much yet.

You've also submitted super recently - a lot of schools send these sorts of emails out in waves by complete date. Don't worry too much yet.
Thank you so much for the feedback! You make a fair point, and I hope you're right.

The email was also specifically addressed to people who hadn't been reviewed, so your app may have already been reviewed - I don't think it necessarily means a soft R!

The email was also specifically addressed to people who hadn't been reviewed, so your app may have already been reviewed - I don't think it necessarily means a soft R!
I feel that's low-key a bit more concerning - if I have been reviewed already after being complete later in the cycle and not been offered an interview yet, maybe I was put in the rejection pile for when they release their first wave of decisions in December :arghh: :(

I feel that's low-key a bit more concerning - if I have been reviewed already after being complete later in the cycle and not been offered an interview yet, maybe I was put in the rejection pile for when they release their first wave of decisions in December :arghh: :(

Not necessarily! I received a II from a school just a few weeks after I submitted, the same thing may happen to you! :)

I was complete 9/21. Didn't receive the email either. Noticing a trend with late complete dates and not receiving the email. Can we get more data points?

Complete mid-August and got the email

I didn't receive the email either. Note that I applied MSTP, so this might be why,

I got the email and was complete 7/29. I thought they would have reviewed mine by now...

• Care
People are applying to more schools this year, so number of applications goes up even before considering increase in number of applicants.

Evidence? I would guess this is true but I personally have not seen any corroborating data.

Evidence? I would guess this is true but I personally have not seen any corroborating data.
Note that I'm not KnightDoc. I was answering your question about what he meant in his post. I have not seen any evidence cited for most of the increase in applications coming from an increase in the average of programs applied for. Still, I can see the logic in applying for more programs this year with uncertainty surrounding COVID, virtual interviews (and decreased time/cost for interviews), the economy taking a hit, and to increase chances of interviews/admittances given the increased number of applicants to each school.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users