2020-2021 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an A via email earlier today! OOS ORM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Got fin aid today. Did anyone receive a scholarship yet that's not needs-based????

Edit: Just saw merit scholarships are given out late March/early April
Yeah the Assistant Directors of Fin Aid said the Admissions/Scholarship committee ppl are a bit slower with merit-based scholarships.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Got fin aid today. Did anyone receive a scholarship yet that's not needs-based????

Edit: Just saw merit scholarships are given out late March/early April
Didn't get it today, do you happen to know if they all went out today or if it's going to be over the next week or so?

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't get it today, do you happen to know if they all went out today or if it's going to be over the next week or so?
I didn't get anything either, so I assume it's going out gradually?

Is anyone else waiting on need-based aid?

Reactions: 3 users
Oop speak of the devil. Got my need-based aid today via email

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if a car is necessary pre-clerkship? I'm trying to avoid having one, but I'm wondering how feasible that is in cville.

Does anyone know if a car is necessary pre-clerkship? I'm trying to avoid having one, but I'm wondering how feasible that is in cville.
You shouldn’t really need one. It’s nice to have one, don’t get me wrong! But I lived in Charoletteville without a car, and it’s fine. The corner has a ton of food, and the campus is really walkable. I used to live in one of the language houses for reference, so it was close to the SOM/medical library.

For pre-clerkship you should be ok if you get a place near the hospital. For clerkships it's often necessary as they send you to rotation sites outside Charlottesville sometimes

Members don't see this ad :)
Off topic, but does anyone know if there is a group me or facebook group for the PHDs (BIMS)?

does anyone know the timeline for merit based scholarships?

What's the dress code supposed to be for Second Look?

What's the dress code supposed to be for Second Look?
Not totally sure, but I'd guess business casual/smart casual. Will probably wear a button down, no tie. At another second look I went to most were like this, with some being formal (suit and tie) and a few very casual (hoodie).

Last edited:
Does anyone else from second look feel stoked for the curriculum changes for our class?

Last edited:
Does anyone else from second look feel stoked for the curriculum changes for our class?
I like everything else but honestly I still don't know how I feel about step 1 being after clerkships. I'm a little worried about that. But it probably won't be a big deal now it is P/F.

I like everything else but honestly I still don't know how I feel about step 1 being after clerkships. I'm a little worried about that. But it probably won't be a big deal now it is P/F.
I think that Step 1 after clerkships will start to be the norm. I've heard from fourth years that they think the clinical experience will be an advantage.

What are people’s thoughts on rotating in INOVA vs Cville?

Did they say the session today would be recorded? I unexpectedly had a long work day and missed it. Or if it wasn't recorded, could someone summarize briefly what info was most helpful? would be much appreciated!

Did they say the session today would be recorded? I unexpectedly had a long work day and missed it. Or if it wasn't recorded, could someone summarize briefly what info was most helpful? would be much appreciated!
Bump

what session was this

what session was this
the inova fairfax session with the dean and a couple of student representatives. it was so we could get a better idea of the clerkship experience and change our initial decision (charlottesville vs inova) by today before they send out decisions on our placement

It was recorded. It should be available under additional sessions in your portal. But In general, they said the deadline to choose sites is today and you can send the admissions office if you want last minute switch. They basically said Charlottesville is the same as INOVA in terms of opportunities so I guess it basically comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:
It was recored. It should be available under additional sessions in your portal. But In genera they said the deadline to choose sites is today and you can send the admissions office if you want last minute switch. They basically said Charlottesville is the same as INOVA in terms of opportunities so I guess it basically comes down to personal preference.
It says recording coming soon :) thank you!

For those who have received a financial aid package, around how long did it take for you to receive an offer after submitting the aid application?

For those who have received a financial aid package, around how long did it take for you to receive an offer after submitting the aid application?
Received my aid package 1 month after submitting the application.

have any international (non-canadian) students received aid package yet

Does anyone remember if we have to make a campus decision by 5 PM today or EOD?

i am so glad i looked at this thread. does anyone know when the deadline to submit campus decision is??

Also just to clarify, this is only if you want to change what you selected in the initial acceptance offer. If there's no change, then you don't have to do anything.

i am so glad i looked at this thread. does anyone know when the deadline to submit campus decision is??
Just got the email it is EOD tonight, also the recording for the INOVA session is on our portal

It was referred to in the INOVA information session that they've generated a list of 18-month lease apartments. Does anyone have the link to that list?

Does anyone know about what mental health services/ counseling they have available for students?

Is there a class groupme? If so could someone PM me the link

Anyone who completed their financial aid application where do I submit my W2s? It said that you could attach them in the SIS system, but I'm not seeing that anywhere. Can I just email them to the financial aid office? Also what do I include? My 2019 W2s and my federal return form?

Anyone who completed their financial aid application where do I submit my W2s? It said that you could attach them in the SIS system, but I'm not seeing that anywhere. Can I just email them to the financial aid office? Also what do I include? My 2019 W2s and my federal return form?

Federal tax returns and W2s for you and your parents (unless you’re an exception).
Here’s the instructions, you can email or use regular mail. Don’t forget to sign the documents before!