2020-2021 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They need to hurry the hell up with financial aid packages! I hate to see y'all waiting :( I think it is very unlikely they offer anything large but I dont want to take the risk.

April 15th is coming up so that should force them to move quickly. Hold on guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
They need to hurry the hell up with financial aid packages! I hate to see y'all waiting :( I think it is very unlikely they offer anything large but I dont want to take the risk.

April 15th is coming up so that should force them to move quickly. Hold on guys!
lol ur gunna get enough for tuition plus 7-8k of health/heal loans at 5.5 ish % and then they will offer you like up to 5-17k of "Plus loans" @ 6-7% if my intuition is right. then there also might be private loans past that especially if you're up against the federal limit which i think is like 200k? theyre usually a little bit worse APR than the heal loans

Reactions: 1 user
I heard from a staff member that their match rate was above 94% so definitely more than 40/55 matched!

Editing this to add that I just saw on their IG it was 96.4%!
So match is 96.4%? Do we know anything about placements? Two separate things. Hoping that they were all placed somewhere and don’t have to reapply next time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So match is 96.4%? Do we know anything about placements? Two separate things. Hoping that they were all placed somewhere and don’t have to reapply next time.
Placements were all over the place and very diverse!

I updated the little pie chart I posted earlier with the actual data they just posted on their demographics page instead of the data I cooked up. It did change the distributions slightly and had 4 extra students.

so..... I hope I am not the only one who refreshes this forum constantly everyday lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
so..... I hope I am not the only one who freshes this forum constantly everyday lol
Nope. I just wish they would give out the acceptances when they have them available because I have a seat elsewhere but this is by far my top choice and it would be nice to plan ahead. However, it’s all just part of the process. Just gotta relax and keep waiting til May for our good news!!

Reactions: 3 users
Nope. I just wish they would give out the acceptances when they have them available because I have a seat elsewhere but this is by far my top choice and it would be nice to plan ahead. However, it’s all just part of the process. Just gotta relax and keep waiting til May for our good news!!
I was thinking that too. Just pull people off the waitlist as spots open. But like you said, they like to make us wait. Haha

I was thinking that too. Just pull people off the waitlist as spots open. But like you said, they like to make us wait. Haha
Totally agree. Sigh..the wait continues

if all the schools act to make their first offers on the waitlist at the same time it should exponentially cut down on how much back n forth there is for everyone.
like if someone got into no schools but is waitlisted by 3 schools and then gets accepted by every one of them sequentially a week or two apart, it would make there be way more work for everyone involved in confirming a spot, relinquishing a spot, and then that school has to try again with another group, a fraction of which would do the same thing on and on and on.
instead if all 3 schools contacted the person at the same time and he weighed them against each other and picked the best one, that would be a lot more straightforward. Also this might help the schools lower the total number of admission offers they give out while still accepting the same students.

thats my theory anyways, its like one big pyramid of offers with each floor of the pyramid being another cycle, and by having all the schools send out their first offers at roughly the same time it should get rid of the first couple floors of the pyramid which are the biggest.
just wish my life wasnt on hold still lol

if all the schools act to make their first offers on the waitlist at the same time it should exponentially cut down on how much back n forth there is for everyone.
like if someone got into no schools but is waitlisted by 3 schools and then gets accepted by every one of them sequentially a week or two apart, it would make there be way more work for everyone involved in confirming a spot, relinquishing a spot, and then that school has to try again with another group, a fraction of which would do the same thing on and on and on.
instead if all 3 schools contacted the person at the same time and he weighed them against each other and picked the best one, that would be a lot more straightforward. Also this might help the schools lower the total number of admission offers they give out while still accepting the same students.

thats my theory anyways, its like one big pyramid of offers with each floor of the pyramid being another cycle, and by having all the schools send out their first offers at roughly the same time it should get rid of the first couple floors of the pyramid which are the biggest.
just wish my life wasnt on hold still lol
Also, the new medical school tool that is being used is heavily influencing when these decisions will be sent out. At least it is my theory. April 30th is when the "Commit to Enroll" option opens on AMCAS.

So I gave up my A here, but still have some second look swag. If anyone who gets in off the waitlist wants a satchel and thermos lmk 💕

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lol ur gunna get enough for tuition plus 7-8k of health/heal loans at 5.5 ish % and then they will offer you like up to 5-17k of "Plus loans" @ 6-7% if my intuition is right. then there also might be private loans past that especially if you're up against the federal limit which i think is like 200k? theyre usually a little bit worse APR than the heal loans
oh rip then lol time to become a med influencer :(. They have yet to offer anything, like damn they holding out.

oh rip then lol time to become a med influencer :(. They have yet to offer anything, like damn they holding out.
an aggressive loan repayment plan can be estimated at 1% of principal per month. that puts u under the 10 year terms and avoids a bulk of the compounding interest.
1% of 300k is only 3k/mo and most drs make around 23k/month (before taxes, ~16k/mo after taxes). thats only like 1/5th of a drs after tax pay. Ive run the numbers for the loan forgiveness programs and they dont tend to break even in the long term until you owe about +340k. Then you have to take into account a lot of factors but its not normally worth it to seek employment with loan forgiveness if the pay is significantly lower (more than 5-10%).
This changes dramatically if you're able to make "qualifying payments" during your residency based on your lower income, and if your residency is more than 3-4 years. I think most residents make about 50k-60k/yr. It comes out to be about 13$/hr without overtime/overnight differentials.
just some numbers. If you can refinance and make payments during residency this also makes loan forgiveness much less attractive either way depending on ur refi APR. Dont forget about the opportunity cost of paying off ur loans aggressively by missing out on stonk market returns.

An interesting option ive been looking into is some brokerages are starting to allow people to take out margin and use it terms free like a HELOC. I think M1 finance lets you take it out up to 35% of ur portfolio at 2% APR (variable) which means you could effectively refi a portion of ur loans with money you have invested without violating the terms of the federal loans (not fin. advice, do ur own research) and still be eligible for protections/forgiveness while keeping money in the market. Thats a whole new world of risk but 2% is a lot better than whatever were gunna get from the HEAL/PLUS loans. I doubt interest rates are going up significantly in the next decade. u could also file bankruptcy on that if it goes south but doing so intentionally is probably fraud.

Last edited:
so the next round of acceptances from the waitlist is next Monday, 05/03? Does anyone know? Just wondering....

• Hmm
so the next round of acceptances from the waitlist is next Monday, 05/03? Does anyone know? Just wondering....
What makes you think that? Also, have they already made offers from the waitlist?

What makes you think that? Also, have they already made offers from the waitlist?
I got the date from last year thread. People got a call around that date. And then again around 5/16. After that, there were minimal to no movement. I could be wrong.... just wanted to see what others think

an aggressive loan repayment plan can be estimated at 1% of principal per month. that puts u under the 10 year terms and avoids a bulk of the compounding interest.
1% of 300k is only 3k/mo and most drs make around 23k/month (before taxes, ~16k/mo after taxes). thats only like 1/5th of a drs after tax pay. Ive run the numbers for the loan forgiveness programs and they dont tend to break even in the long term until you owe about +340k. Then you have to take into account a lot of factors but its not normally worth it to seek employment with loan forgiveness if the pay is significantly lower (more than 5-10%).
This changes dramatically if you're able to make "qualifying payments" during your residency based on your lower income, and if your residency is more than 3-4 years. I think most residents make about 50k-60k/yr. It comes out to be about 13$/hr without overtime/overnight differentials.
just some numbers. If you can refinance and make payments during residency this also makes loan forgiveness much less attractive either way depending on ur refi APR. Dont forget about the opportunity cost of paying off ur loans aggressively by missing out on stonk market returns.

An interesting option ive been looking into is some brokerages are starting to allow people to take out margin and use it terms free like a HELOC. I think M1 finance lets you take it out up to 35% of ur portfolio at 2% APR (variable) which means you could effectively refi a portion of ur loans with money you have invested without violating the terms of the federal loans (not fin. advice, do ur own research) and still be eligible for protections/forgiveness while keeping money in the market. Thats a whole new world of risk but 2% is a lot better than whatever were gunna get from the HEAL/PLUS loans. I doubt interest rates are going up significantly in the next decade. u could also file bankruptcy on that if it goes south but doing so intentionally is probably fraud.
....10 years rip again. Thanks for the write-up. I have been told that refinancing is often the way to go right after residency just to get a hold of things. UWSOM has already come through with their financial aid package and it looks like I will be graduating with around 60-90k of debt, which I am extremely happy about. I highly doubt WSU can beat that, but who knows maybe the cougs will work their magic.

Now I am thinking of ways to take that last chunk of debt, whether taking out loans for that 60-90k or busting my ass to tackle it now with my savings ...yeah probably not. Having debt is scary to me so I think I just need to be comfortable with waiting till I am at least in residency to pay whatever I owe.

....10 years rip again. Thanks for the write-up. I have been told that refinancing is often the way to go right after residency just to get a hold of things. UWSOM has already come through with their financial aid package and it looks like I will be graduating with around 60-90k of debt, which I am extremely happy about. I highly doubt WSU can beat that, but who knows maybe the cougs will work their magic.

Now I am thinking of ways to take that last chunk of debt, whether taking out loans for that 60-90k or busting my ass to tackle it now with my savings ...yeah probably not. Having debt is scary to me so I think I just need to be comfortable with waiting till I am at least in residency to pay whatever I owe.
Can't beat that. Maybe I'm wrong

I just got a call to meet with the dean on Monday. So it looks like things are going to start moving again. Good luck to everyone!
Oh my gosh! Congratulations!! What time did you get your call today?

• Love
I got the call to meet the dean as well. Got the call in the evening.

• Love
  • Care
I guess I am re-applying for sure for the upcoming cycle :( :cryi:

Last edited:
I guess I am re-applying for sure for the upcoming cycle :( :cryi:
I’m betting they will do another round at the beging of may. If not, they take a good portion of re-applicants every cycle. So don’t despair!

I got the call to schedule a meeting with the dean as well!

Reactions: 5 users
Honestly, I am still holding out hope that they are going to make more calls in the next couple of days as April 30th looms. I do have to say I hate that I am losing sleep over an interview I did back in September, but still my #1 :smack:

• Care
Honestly, I am still holding out hope that they are going to make more calls in the next couple of days as April 30th looms. I do have to say I hate that I am losing sleep over an interview I did back in September, but still my #1 :smack:
My optimistic self is telling me that I should be positive and be hopeful, but my pessimistic self is telling me to do a reality check....both of them were fighting in my head last night....and I didn't sleep well last night.....

DId you request application feedback? they might be able to tell you how you did.

My optimistic self is telling me that I should be positive and be hopeful, but my pessimistic self is telling me to do a reality check....both of them were fighting in my head last night....and I didn't sleep well last night.....

DId you request application feedback? they might be able to tell you how you did.
I totally would if I could. However, have been accepted to a DO program and therefore cannot :confused:

• Care
This does seem like more movement, earlier than previous years
I'm guessing they have a threshold of maybe 4 spots open before they send out more A's this early
Probably a pain to schedule everything if it's just 1 or 2 spots ur filling so that tells me they're seeing more movement than previous years. I think last year there were no As on the waitlist until may 5th (the bulk) and then again on the 15th (a few more seats)
So I'm pretending like even though we're in a bad seat if u don't get an A and others do it's a good sign that there's more movement lol
If anyone wants to join my delusional optimism club you're more than welcome, just bring snacks, it's a long trip

I am sure they will. People like my are still holding out for that financial aid, they said in a recent email we should be receiving our packages by the end of the week so literally April 30th. Will drop my spot tomorrow, so hold out there is still plenty of good chance y'all will be hearing back soon.

• Love
  • Care
I am sure they will. People like my are still holding out for that financial aid, they said in a recent email we should be receiving our packages by the end of the week so literally April 30th. Will drop my spot tomorrow, so hold out there is still plenty of good chance y'all will be hearing back soon.
OOp nvm I just checked my financial aid. They didn't even give me a penny :( rip, I guess Huskies are better than Cougs (jk).
Dropping my acceptance. Best of luck everyone, hope you hear good news soon!

Sending good energy ~~~ cmonmaketheseppldoctors plz god ~~~~

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew - good luck y'all!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Has any accepted student got scholarships with their financial aid yet?

With wsu Pharm there was an additional internal scholarship app you had to do after aid was awarded. There was a bunch of individual names on the scholarships and you had to write a short essay. I think they were from past downers.
Most everyone who applied and had fin need got them and it totaled about 1000-2000$ per year. Not sure if med students can apply to the same pool or not. It felt like 50-75% of the students got these scholarships.
I mean wsu is a new school so I'm not expecting a big pool of money to exsist already.
Uw gets so much money from bill gates.
I believe I remember reading as a whole UW has about a 2.5 billion dollar budget and 60% of that came from private donations, the majority of which is prolly the gates foundation. I think it was mainly for their research budget though.
I applied to both schools for undergrad and being homeless at the time I think I got close to the max state/school aid
Wsu tuition was 6k loans per year after aid and uw paid me $2500 to go there. Had loans for cost of living.

With wsu Pharm there was an additional internal scholarship app you had to do after aid was awarded. There was a bunch of individual names on the scholarships and you had to write a short essay. I think they were from past downers.
Most everyone who applied and had fin need got them and it totaled about 1000-2000$ per year. Not sure if med students can apply to the same pool or not. It felt like 50-75% of the students got these scholarships.
I mean wsu is a new school so I'm not expecting a big pool of money to exsist already.
Uw gets so much money from bill gates.
I believe I remember reading as a whole UW has about a 2.5 billion dollar budget and 60% of that came from private donations, the majority of which is prolly the gates foundation. I think it was mainly for their research budget though.
I applied to both schools for undergrad and being homeless at the time I think I got close to the max state/school aid
Wsu tuition was 6k loans per year after aid and uw paid me $2500 to go there. Had loans for cost of living.
Yeah the pool of money at UW is pretty large. For undergrad I got a scholarship (didn’t even apply) and a tuition exemption. On top of financial aide and Washington need grant, it covered my tuition. I just took out loans to cover living expenses so I didn’t have work a ton.

I’m really curious to see how WSU goes. I believe applying for the scholarships was automatic if you applied for FAFSA before a certain date. Either way, I got into PNWU and I’m assuming here (have deal call Monday) and WSU will be about 80-100k cheaper through the whole on its own. So, I’ll count that on it’s own as a win.

Does appointment with the dean mean what I think it means? Because I don’t want to spend the whole weekend crying with excitement only to find out it’s not an A.

Reactions: 4 users
Does appointment with the dean mean what I think it means? Because I don’t want to spend the whole weekend crying with excitement only to find out it’s not an A.
Yes, I am sure it is exactly what you think it means. When did you get the call?

I got my call yesterday afternoon. This is my top school so I'll be taking it. Good luck guys! Fingers crossed for more waitlist movement for the rest of you. I'm sure it will happen with today being the 30th.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to those who got the call! Can I ask which area code the call was from?

Withdrew my WL position today. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
OOp nvm I just checked my financial aid. They didn't even give me a penny :( rip, I guess Huskies are better than Cougs (jk).
Dropping my acceptance. Best of luck everyone, hope you hear good news soon!

Sending good energy ~~~ cmonmaketheseppldoctors plz god ~~~~
They have not sent out all of the scholarships that they have yet. Just saying for anyone else that read the message and got worried they were not going to receive anything. Also, there were two big scholarships that were offered earlier which had their stipulations (Primary Care) which makes sense with the mission of the school. I personally did not apply to them because although I am interested in primary care I would like to keep my options open and I would also prefer to leave it for other future doctors that are certain that they will be able to honor the agreements. What is being currently sent out so far is the financial aid package from FAFSA aka the government regarding how much money you will be able to borrow and what kind of loan you will be able to borrow from. The financial aid package is not analogous to the school's own scholarships that could be given. Lastly, if anyone ever has any of these questions I would STRONGLY encourage any of you to contact the school itself. For these types of questions, the school should be your main if not your only source. Disclaimer: Take this knowledge with a grain of salt and do not take this advice as your only means of information regarding this matter. I do not work for the school. Good look everyone and may the odds be in your favor ;)

I received a call yesterday morning to schedule a meeting with the dean! I interviewed back in September.

Is there a facebook group for this class?
I was wondering that too. I looked and could t find anything. On their website I couldn’t even find like a ‘newly admitted’ page that explains what to expect next. I bet all that info will be in the official acceptance email.