2020-2021 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. Interviewed in February so not surprised. Will be withdrawing. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
waitlisted (interviewed in december) s i g h - should i be happy that it's not an R ? lol

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted as well... class is full so idk how many people will be dropping their acceptance :/

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
anyone know how big the waitlist is? guess theres already a lotta people here who got waitlisted lol but... hopefuly not too sizable...

anyone know how big the waitlist is? guess theres already a lotta people here who got waitlisted lol but... hopefuly not too sizable...
not sure, at least from counting how many people posted that they are waitlisted, it is at least 11 from this forum. Not sure how many who are waitlisted are not on this forum.

Not sure but i'm curious as to how much waitlist movement there has been in the past
I went back to last year's thread and counted at least 6 people who posted on this forum that they were accepted off the waitlist.

At least these are the data that is available on this forum. I think we probably will not know the true number since many people don't post their status. So not sure how useful this data is...(at least so far, no one has posted that they are rejected today on this forum)

Fingers crossed for what's coming next.

I read last years and they didn’t have a lot. But that could have been due to COVID.
Given the circumstance this year, I speculate that it will be similar to last year?(don't quote me on that, we might be surprised since now there are three approved vaccines and hopefully, we can achieve herd immunity soon, which might change the number of people getting off the waitlist a bit?):shrug:

just got on the waitlist. interviewed on 1/25

• Care
Got the offer to be waitlisted. I’ll probably just cancel my app. I got an A somewhere else and just don’t want feel like I’m limbo.

good luck everyone!

Just got my waitlist email. Fingers crossed that I get in 🤞 Interviewed 1/15.

• Care
Also waitlisted, interviewed in February. I am so tired of waiting :( good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
There was 15/80 A's in this thread
Which means u can extrapolate 80/15 more in sample size or 5.33
If there are 13 WL now let's say 15 will post eventually
That's about 80 people waitlisted by extrapolation
If they make 1.9:1 offers vs matriculated and u assume 25 people withdrew before the wait list was made(roughly the 5 people who withdrew in this thread x5.333) list thats 152 offeres-25= 127

127-80= 47 wait list offers or just over 58% of the waitlist people could get offers.

Still looking through the thread to add stuff up but I think more than only a couple of us will get off the wait list.
Stay optimistic. I'll update this when I get the data straight

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
Waitlisted as well, interviewed in December!

• Care
Just got a spam phone call from the area and I answered it in hopes it was WSU. I feel unclean.

Remember, the epitome of MD academic efficiency is accepting the last spot on the wait list for the one school you got an interview with. lol
anything else is trying too hard/wasted effort ;)

Last edited:
Waitlisted as well, Interviewed early Feb

• Care
So I know there’s a Dean call tomorrow, and we were informed of 2 small offers in Early March. So when did the other offer occur? Is there another offer happening later this week?

Was waitlisted today as well. Interviewed in September

• Care
Has anyone requested an application review? Is it too early to do so?

Has anyone requested an application review? Is it too early to do so?
I did one last year... for me it was pretty helpful and provided some useful insight. Judging by the email sent out, I don’t think that it’s too early to request one.

• Love
im thinking 4/25 - 5/10 will be when the bulk of the wait list offers go out (~20-30 offers).
correct me if you think otherwise. im basing this off the deans emails last year and the AAMC requirements to lock in schools

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed February and WL last week. I was offered an opportunity to go over my application with admissions. This prompted a thought- would they offer this to the folks that are on the top of the waitlist and likely to gain an acceptance? It wouldn't make sense to spend the time going over an application with the student that is number 1 on the waitlist. Any thoughts?

Interviewed February and WL last week. I was offered an opportunity to go over my application with admissions. This prompted a thought- would they offer this to the folks that are on the top of the waitlist and likely to gain an acceptance? It wouldn't make sense to spend the time going over an application with the student that is number 1 on the waitlist. Any thoughts?
Thinking of the same thing..

When I scheduled my appointment, they haven't ranked the waitlist yet so I'm not sure

I am pretty sure they offered that to everyone. Other schools also offer that to people who have been waitlisted and or rejected.

well, ive gotten to a point where Ive worked the data enough to satisfy myself. There is some more ideas I had, such as reworking things with STDevs and building models from the ground up with Monty Carlo simulations and making them applicable to future cycles.
I am going to attach the spreadsheet ive made with everything in it. This includes tabulation of every reported date on SDN from this year and last year's cycle, and some graphical timelines in their own tabs.

The main question right now for those who are still on the wait list is, what is the probability of getting an offer on the waitlist.
In order to answer this statistical question we need to know the waitlist size, and the total number of offers that are expected to be given out.

To estimate the waitlist size we can look at the things we do know. ~350 interview invites each cycle, and 80 seats to fill.
The total number of people who posted in the respective threads from each year can then be counted (sample size) and compared to the real value.
When using extrapolation you should stick to using samples sizes that are as big as possible. That's because the inherent error of extrapolation follows the trend below (assuming perfect sampling).
accuracy.gif

This table is from the spreadsheet on the 2020 tab.
Basically it shows that this thread can account for approx. 21% of the total offers for admission.
If you take the inverse of that and then multiply it by the number of reported waitlist spots, you get around 90 seats.
table1.png

Then looking at last years data on the 2019 tab, using a similar method Ive estimated about 37.8 offers from the 2019 thread.
This gives you about 42% chance to get off the waitlist.

Of note some relevant emails from last year
2020 email "Dr. Harrison's email just now: from mid-may until matriculation last year (2019), 15 people were accepted off the WL!"
2020 Email from Dr. Harrison " in the past years, below is the number of waitlist offers we made from june 1st to matriculation: 2019=4 , 2018=5"
Its not clear from the first email if 15 people were offered a seat or if 15 people accepted a seat.
the total number of offers is what we're interested in as those will be more than the total number of students who end up matriculating.

Attachments

• wsu efsom 2020-2021 sdn.xlsx
    59 KB · Views: 102
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
well, ive gotten to a point where Ive worked the data enough to satisfy myself. There is some more ideas I had, such as reworking things with STDevs and building models from the ground up with Monty Carlo simulations and making them applicable to future cycles.
I am going to attach the spreadsheet ive made with everything in it. This includes tabulation of every reported date on SDN from this year and last year's cycle, and some graphical timelines in their own tabs.

The main question right now for those who are still on the wait list is, what is the probability of getting an offer on the waitlist.
In order to answer this statistical question we need to know the waitlist size, and the total number of offers that are expected to be given out.

To estimate the waitlist size we can look at the things we do know. ~350 interview invites each cycle, and 80 seats to fill.
The total number of people who posted in the respective threads from each year can then be counted (sample size) and compared to the real value.
When using extrapolation you should stick to using samples sizes that are as big as possible. That's because the inherent error of extrapolation follows the trend below (assuming perfect sampling).
View attachment 332965

This table is from the spreadsheet on the 2020 tab.
Basically it shows that this thread can account for approx. 21% of the total offers for admission.
If you take the inverse of that and then multiply it by the number of reported waitlist spots, you get around 90 seats.
View attachment 332966

Then looking at last years data on the 2019 tab, using a similar method Ive estimated about 37.8 offers from the 2019 thread.
This gives you about 42% chance to get off the waitlist.

Of note some relevant emails from last year
2020 email "Dr. Harrison's email just now: from mid-may until matriculation last year (2019), 15 people were accepted off the WL!"
2020 Email from Dr. Harrison " in the past years, below is the number of waitlist offers we made from june 1st to matriculation: 2019=4 , 2018=5"
Its not clear from the first email if 15 people were offered a seat or if 15 people accepted a seat.
the total number of offers is what we're interested in as those will be more than the total number of students who end up matriculating.
im... i love u

Reactions: 3 users
also to go off of your last question, I believe that it is 15 people accepted the offer off of the waitlist, and not only 15 offers sent (so more than 15 offers were sent to waitlisters). I came to this conclusion after speaking with them. they said that they roughly send 150-160 offers per year so roughly 2 offers sent per seat. some people have already rejected their offers and they are expecting more to do so.

in conclusion...keep your heads up queens and kings ;)

Ya I was gunna plot the waitlist offers from last year over time like the other metrics but there was just two dates lol

Seems like If they have enough seats open they will do a small offer around 4/25 (~0-6 seats) and then a big offer around 5/12 (~10-15 seats) and then individual offers until 80/80 commit 100%

Last edited:
For those who scheduled their application review/feedback, how long after you filled out the form did you hear back?

For those who scheduled their application review/feedback, how long after you filled out the form did you hear back?
For me it was one day after I initially sent an email saying I would like one, then they sent me a schedule and a form to fill

For me it was one day after I initially sent an email saying I would like one, then they sent me a schedule and a form to fill
Have you heard anything after filling out the form? I don’t think they sent me a schedule....hmmm I may have to contact the school again

Have you heard anything after filling out the form? I don’t think they sent me a schedule....hmmm I may have to contact the school again
Yes after filling the form and picking from the schedule they replied within the same day.

I am a little confused on the offer process. So in the recent email Dr. Harrison says that they have, historically, made 2 offers per seat...and that they have already sent more than 80 offers to fill the 80 seats (I'm assuming it's just a little bit more than 80). Does this mean they are going to make a little under 80 more offers?? Since they send about 2 offers per seat and there are 80 seats.

Hi everyone! Late poster here but I’m blessed to say I received an A.
I am high on an alternate list for another school (my top choice) and should hear back May 1 about that. I’ll let y’all know if I withdraw my acceptance here.
Best of luck to everyone - this is a brutal process (especially this year) and there are too few spots for everyone that deserves one 😞

Reactions: 5 users
I am a little confused on the offer process. So in the recent email Dr. Harrison says that they have, historically, made 2 offers per seat...and that they have already sent more than 80 offers to fill the 80 seats (I'm assuming it's just a little bit more than 80). Does this mean they are going to make a little under 80 more offers?? Since they send about 2 offers per seat and there are 80 seats.
I am confused as well, but the email made it sound like that way...

• Hmm
1.9 A to spot ratio
spots = 80
therefore total offers = 152
total offers given out already = 80+x | x is equal to the number of people that replied to WSU saying they were not interested in matriculating (only one person in this thread so far) but also did so early enough for them to give out more than 80 offers before forming the wait list.

I built this into my spreadsheet by having an estimated number of pre wait list offers at 81 (80+the one who posted here), but in reality its likely there was 3-4 who refused the offer in a timely manor.

Also as explained before the number matriculated off the wait list will be significantly less than the number offered admission on the waitlist. dont get those two confused.

Last edited:
Well here is the summary timeline of everyone's updates in this post graphed out.
also there are the results of my extrapolation attempts at the bottom for this year and last years thread to estimate a likely size of wsu's waitlist based off of how many people self reported that they got wait listed in this thread, and then extrapolating it out to the published total number of invites.... i think i dont really remember now how i did this its been awhile.

just know that this has not been confirmed as remotely accurate by anyone at wsu and know that if it was i still wouldnt update that info. this is just "whats in the data", the conclusions anyone could reasonably draw without any insider info.
one big photo coz im lazy. u can zoom in on it lol

Attachments

• timeline of thread activity and waitlist  estimations.png
    timeline of thread activity and waitlist estimations.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything or update recently?

Last edited:
2021 match results per the wsu demographic webpage.
Per WSU: "Our website does not include data for students who did not want their match details shared."

Updated 4/13/21

Attachments

• wsu match 2021.png
    wsu match 2021.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
  • Love
2021 match results per the wsu website. not sure if students with blank bios didnt match or didnt complete their little blerb. pulled the data today. 55 total listed students. 40 reported match results
I heard from a staff member that their match rate was above 94% so definitely more than 40/55 matched!

Editing this to add that I just saw on their IG it was 96.4%!

Last edited:
2021 match results per the wsu website. not sure if students with blank bios didnt match or didnt complete their little blerb. pulled the data today. 55 total listed students. 40 reported match results
Thanks for making that! I was curious to see what their break down was per specialty but was too lazy to do that. Haha It’s nice to see they have a wide variety of specialty matches. For some reason I figured it would be more skewed towards FM (which is what I’m thinking I want to do anyways).