2020-2021 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Western Michigan University

Members don't see this ad.

From the WMed's website:

The supplemental application includes three essay questions. Each question has a 2,000 character limit. The questions are:
  1. Describe why you wish to enroll at WMed. You should describe any connection that you have to Southwest Michigan.
  2. Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.
  3. WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe the changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes.

Reactions: 2 users
just got an email confirming they received my primary, in state

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received a secondary about an hour ago, In state

Notified they received my primary 5/16, IS

Is anyone else having trouble giving Electronic Comm Consent? Directions on the secondary page after submission says to choose "I consent" then press "I am finished-Submit" but there is no "I am finished-Submit" button.

I completed the questionnaire but have not received any info since.
I didn't receive an email about it, I just logged into the portal and the first page that came up was asking for Electronic Comm Consent. And there seems to be an issue with submitting consent so the page does not go away.

Is the 2nd prompt just a diversity essay or should we be getting more creative for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received a minute ago! IS applicant, AMCAS verified on 6/17

how soon did you guys get the online assessment email?

If any current students are lurking..

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Kalamazoo? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Is it possible to live outside the city easily?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Regarding the second question, are we supposed to talk about what we bring to medicine AND how we contribute to cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity? Because as a white, middle-class female I really don't contribute much cultural/socioeconomic diversity. Any thoughts?

Anyone know how long the online assessment is?

Will I get looked down on if I don't any connections to southwest Michigan? I'm an OOS applicant.

Will I get looked down on if I don't any connections to southwest Michigan? I'm an OOS applicant.

Same. Debating if I should even submit a secondary. Main reason I'm interested is because I live a couple hours away.

Same. Debating if I should even submit a secondary. Main reason I'm interested is because I live a couple hours away.

According to Msar, Western Michigan, as a private institution, has no in state preference. Also there were residents from 21 different states in the 2019 entering class. I'm sure you have more ties to the area than most of the matriculating students.

If any current students are lurking..

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Kalamazoo? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Is it possible to live outside the city easily?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

Yo waddup. Glad you're interested in WMed.

1. Preclinical is systems based. Expect to be in class from about 8-12 every day (if you want to attend every lecture. Not every lecture is mandatory. I'd say something like 1/3 of the lectures are mandatory.) Once a week you'll have anatomy from 1-5. Once a week you'll have clinical skills from 1-5. So 2 days out of the week are 8-5. Throw in some professions of medicine sessions and active citizenship every now and then. Fridays are always done at 12.

2. The school is modern and beautiful. Super awesome place to study and hang out. Hospitals are great. Borgess is older, but food is better.

3. I moved from the west coast and I have totally fallen in love with Michigan and Kalamazoo. I love how convenient everything is here and how not-super-insane it is. (I moved from LA, okay?)
You can live outside the city if you want to. But, idk why you would want to unless you have a significant other with a job somewhere else.

4. Research is within reach but you have to get it yourself. I'd say it leans clinical, but there's basic science stuff too if that's your jam. Competitive? Not really. You can get what you want. Like I said, you just have to go and get it yourself.\

lmk if you have any other ?s. good luck!

Reactions: 8 users
I didn't receive an email about it, I just logged into the portal and the first page that came up was asking for Electronic Comm Consent. And there seems to be an issue with submitting consent so the page does not go away.

Same thing happened to me. I switched browsers (Safari to Google Chrome) and it fixed the issue.

Has anyone's app moved to the experiences review stage?

I just found the “online assessment” email in my spam folder... it’s been in there since I submitted my secondary essays on 7/21. If I complete it ASAP and submit, will this hurt my application?

The online assessment link they gave me doesn't work. Anyone else been experiencing this??

How long after submitting the secondary do you get the assessment?

The reapplicant essay is only if you're a reapplicant to WMed specifically right? I applied to other schools before, but not WMed so I'm not sure whether I should fill that one out.
I asked my advisor about this because I'm in the same boat as you -- she told me to write it anyway "just in case".

currently "under consideration for phone interview," lets see what happens next

Complete 07/17
Notified via email
OOS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Where do you see your status?
^, I kept trying to check and it made me fill out the electronic consent form multiple times. Has anyone figured out how to get past this and view your status? I kept hitting "I consent" and going through and it kept returning me to the same page

Does it matter if you miss a question on the assessment? I ran out of time on one question right when I was about to hit next.

Pre-secondary rejection this morning. LM 70, OOS no ties. Wonder what they were looking for

^, I kept trying to check and it made me fill out the electronic consent form multiple times. Has anyone figured out how to get past this and view your status? I kept hitting "I consent" and going through and it kept returning me to the same page
Use a different browser. Microsoft Edge (of all things) worked for me.