2020-2021 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS experience review began 08/12, got an email and portal update same day (secondary received 07/16, submitted 07/28)

Members don't see this ad.

Under consideration for phone interview, experience review began on 8/6.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep. OOS received experiences review yesterday 8/12. Says can be up to 2 weeks so I wouldn't sweat it if you haven't heard yet. They have a lot of applicants.

But yeah, does everyone get an experiences review? It says "select" candidates. Any current students know anything ab this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. OOS received experiences review yesterday 8/12. Says can be up to 2 weeks so I wouldn't sweat it if you haven't heard yet. They have a lot of applicants.

But yeah, does everyone get an experiences review? It says "select" candidates. Any current students know anything ab this?

Experience review started today 8/14. I was complete 8/4. Seems like everyone goes through this stage.

Last edited:
I want to add this school when I get my MCAT score back this week, but the pre-secondary rejections are scaring me. Does anyone have any idea what they're screening for?

I want to add this school when I get my MCAT score back this week, but the pre-secondary rejections are scaring me. Does anyone have any idea what they're screening for?
WMed uses phone II, personality test, and CASPer. Who the hell knows. It's probably out of your control anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
WMed uses phone II, personality test, and CASPer. Who the hell knows. It's probably out of your control anyways.

from what I know, phone II and personality test are after secondary right??

but you’re right, who the hell knows. It could literally be anything on primary/CASPer. I’ll just shoot my shot anyway. Thanks!

from what I know, phone II and personality test are after secondary right??

but you’re right, who the hell knows. It could literally be anything on primary/CASPer. I’ll just shoot my shot anyway. Thanks!
My first guess is CASPer. Less likely conspiracy theory is that they're lying about their GPA cutoff. One of the previous posters who got a pre-secondary rejection has a WAMC thread, and they have a 3.2 sGPA with an otherwise seemingly strong application.

Started experiences review 8/10, entered consideration for phone interview today 8/17

I've still been in experiences review since 8/6

Under consideration for phone interview. Complete 8/6. Experience review started 8/11. OOS, reapplicant who was waitlisted last year.

Under consideration for phone review today, experiences review started 8/11, OOS and very weak ties to the school/area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Experience Review Started 8/18, IS app complete 8/5

Experiences Review Started 8/11, finished today 8/19 at 6am. Admissions working early today!

experience review started 8/7, under consideration for phone interview today (8/19)

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone still not received a secondary? Was verified in the last week of July

Exp. Review 8/6, Consideration for phone II 8/19

I submitted 8/5 but haven’t been processed for experiences review yet. Does this mean silent R?

can someone tell me what experiences review is?
A post-secondary-but-pre-phone-interview step in WMEd's evaluation process. Their admissions website claims that its a selective step, however it seems that everybody who completes a secondary enters it. However there is a big variation in the amount of time that this process takes to complete between applicants, and as neurotic premeds it's crucial that we stress over minute differences in the length of the experience review.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
A post-secondary-but-pre-phone-interview step in WMEd's evaluation process. Their admissions website claims that its a selective step, however it seems that everybody who completes a secondary enters it. However there is a big variation in the amount of time that this process takes to complete between applicants, and as neurotic premeds it's crucial that we stress over minute differences in the length of the experience review.

So they ask us questions about us? and what do you mean that there's differences in the length of the experience review?

So they ask us questions about us? and what do you mean that there's differences in the length of the experience review?
It's just them notifying us that they're reading our applications in detail. At some point after submitting your secondary you get an e-mail saying Experiences Review has started and then a few days to a few weeks later you get another e-mail saying experiences review is finished and that you're under consideration for a phone interview.

It's just them notifying us that they're reading our applications in detail. At some point after submitting your secondary you get an e-mail saying Experiences Review has started and then a few days to a few weeks later you get another e-mail saying experiences review is finished and that you're under consideration for a phone interview.
OH okay tysm for clarifying!!!

I just got an email from them asking me to complete my WMed Online Assessment. I just completed it. My secondary was complete on 8/1. This is a huge gap between my secondary and this online assessment. Does this look bad on my file?

I just got an email from them asking me to complete my WMed Online Assessment. I just completed it. My secondary was complete on 8/1. This is a huge gap between my secondary and this online assessment. Does this look bad on my file?
Last year I was lazy and didn’t do the assessment until November (secondary complete in September) and I ended up with an interview. I wouldn’t worry about it!

How did you all approach the diversity question? I’m a bit stuck on what do do.

My general diversity essay is about my perspective from my work experience, so that wouldn’t cover the second part of their question re cultural, socioeconomic diversity. Did you just use your regular diversity essay or write something completely new for this one? I was thinking about doing half about my work and half about being lgbt (tho I don’t have any volunteering with the community so I was told that would be a problem), but these essays are usually on just one topic.

I would appreciate any help!
I don’t see how not having volunteer experiences with the LGBTQ+ community would somehow negate the diversity that being LGBTQ+ brings. My diversity essay is on that and I don’t have volunteer experience within the community. Idk who told you this.

Just finished experiences review, took 10 days. Hopefully phone interviews will be going out soon!

Just finished experiences review. Started 8/6

experience review from 8/11- 8/23. Phone interview consideration 8/24!

OOS with no real ties to the area, Complete 8/18, Started Experiences Review today (8/25)

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete 8/21, experience review started 8/25.

With how many have gone to experience reviews, either the bar is really low or it is not a selective process.

Supplemental app complete 8/5. Experience review started today :)

Phone II just now!

Edit: Submitted and completed online assessment 7/20, complete 7/21, experiences review began 8/6 and finished 8/13. LM 70, IS.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Phone II just now! 517, 3.86, OOS, waitlisted last cycle

Does anyone know how selective the phone interview step is at WMed?

Does anybody know what they ask on the phone interview? Medically related questions? Random questions? Etc?

Or does anyone have any helpful links that can give more info? Thank you!

I've been under review since 9 AM on 8/12 and have yet to receive an Experiences Complete or Consideration for Phone Interview :/ How long does the consideration for a phone interview take? I submitted my secondary 7/28 too. Today will have been 2 weeks upon my experiences review to be completed and I haven't heared back.

Congrats everyone! Experience review complete on 8/12. I'm hoping this doesn't mean I got thrown out of the pile, lol. I'm really starting to get worried that there is a red flag on my application that I didn't know about.

From a graphic shared on last year's SDN thread for this school, I recall that about 800 phone IIs go out. On MSAR, they report about 4000 applications. So about 20%. Then about 400 people get interviews.

I am pretty sure in last year's thread they said it was basically a phone CASPer.
Awesome, thanks for doing the digging! I knew that about half of phone interviewees get live interviews, but wasn't sure how much of a bottleneck the initial phone interview was. Best of luck :)

• Love