2021-2022 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take you all to get the acceptance package in the mail? How anyone from 11/19 interview received their package?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha after reading this I definitely feel more confident and inspired. Thank you :)

I feel like you were the designated pep talker before any sporting activity, everyone needs someone like you around!
Haha anytime!! I’m so glad you were inspired I’m always happy to help in any way that I can :)

Hahaha I gave the half time pep talks during my college soccer days so I’ve had some practice😂 thank you for your kind words and good luck out there everyone here is rooting for you!!

How long did it take you all to get the acceptance package in the mail? How anyone from 11/19 interview received their package?
I interviewed that day/was accepted and was wondering the same! Was kind of looking forward to it lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any waitlist movement yet since deposits were due yesterday?

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my II. I hope it goes out to someone on here!

• Care
I don’t know about anyone else but I felt my interview was kind of stressful/ more questioning than a conversation style of flow. It might just be that the previous ones I had were more conversational but I felt that they definitely asked a decent bit about the classes I took, reasoning for certain scheduling, MCAT stuff etc
I felt the same way too. My interviewers asked about MCAT and classes. They also asked a lot about hypothetical situations. There was no conversation at all.

Does anyone know the last date they will accept an MCAT? I couldn't find an answer online and haven't heard back from admissions. I was able to reschedule my interview for January so I decided it was best to push my MCAT retake back and focus on my interview. However, that leaves me with a March/April MCAT date.

Does anyone know the last date they will accept an MCAT? I couldn't find an answer online and haven't heard back from admissions. I was able to reschedule my interview for January so I decided it was best to push my MCAT retake back and focus on my interview. However, that leaves me with a March/April MCAT date.
According to the Choose DO explorer it's Jan 2022. Also, that would be the latest date any DO school would accept this cycle.

I got accepted! However, it became a fleeting joy when I realized I may have an issue with matriculation. I know that MD schools and most DO schools require at least a C on all prereqs. Unfortunately, I have a C- for orgo on my transcript. I'm not sure if they accepted me knowing this or if they didn't see it. Most school websites explicitly state the minimum C (2.0) requirement but on ACOM's page, they only say that the prereqs must be completed. If I need to, thankfully there is still time for me to retake the class somewhere online before matriculation. How do I go about bringing this issue up to the adcom? Should I wait until I pay the deposit? Am I at risk for getting my A rescinded?
I would honestly call the admissions office and explain the situation. They accepted you for a reason and will work to find a solution (worst case they’ll tell u to retake the class in the spring)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get moved off the post II waitlist since December 14th deposits were due at this school?

Did anyone get moved off the post II waitlist since December 14th deposits were due at this school?
Also wondering this! Also, anyone know if the admissions office is on break yet for the Holidays? I remembered they mentioned something about reassessing the waitlist before leaving for break.

Also wondering this! Also, anyone know if the admissions office is on break yet for the Holidays? I remembered they mentioned something about reassessing the waitlist before leaving for break.
They probably went on break already. I assume that after the holidays, they'll start pulling from the waitlist around January.

ACOM is closed from the 22nd to the 31st (which is a Friday so realistically until January 3rd).

Reactions: 2 users
Any current ACOM student I can message or anybody who knows the area?

Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
I am a current student at ACOM and the school is horrible. Resources are limited. There are not even enough study spaces for the students. The professors contradict each other in lectures. Their grading policies change every year and they are changing to cumulative finals. It is located in the middle of nowhere. The faculty and staff do not have the student's best interest in mind. Would not come here... I have been warning everyone on both here and Reddit about this school. 10% of the class fails the first semester. It is overall horrible. If you want to be over-stressed, more in debt, and not taken care of, then come here.

I am a current student at ACOM and the school is horrible. Resources are limited. There are not even enough study spaces for the students. The professors contradict each other in lectures. Their grading policies change every year and they are changing to cumulative finals. It is located in the middle of nowhere. The faculty and staff do not have the student's best interest in mind. Would not come here... I have been warning everyone on both here and Reddit about this school. 10% of the class fails the first semester. It is overall horrible. If you want to be over-stressed, more in debt, and not taken care of, then come here.
I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with ACOM. I would have to disagree with some of what you are saying.

I am a current first year and after confirming, we have had 14-16 students fail/have to repeat (Some of which were already repeating from the previous class which shows that those individuals just couldn't get it together.)

1. Any time of the day I can walk into the campus and find somewhere to study.
2. They are changing to cumulative finals for incoming classes (this I did not like but it wouldn't have made me not choose ACOM).
3. While it isn't in a major city there is still tons to do. The school is literally less than five minutes from Publix, Walgreens, wynn dixie, Walmart. There are bars, minigolf, the mall, along with a-lot of other things to do.
4. I have a different opinion on the faculty and staff because they have been great with myself and my friend group.

Its medical school, you're going to be stressed and in debt.

We Obviously have completely different views on the school and I am not trying to invalidate your feelings. However I do not want future students to be deterred because of subjective viewpoints.

EDIT: Also when the professors contradict each other, they make a point to email the us and state an explanation. You being a medical student here should know that nothing in medicine is definitive. There will always be some wiggle room and depending on which angle you look at something may explain the contradiction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You're the first person i've heard actually bad-mouth ACOM online. Can you elaborate further on why you feel this way?

I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with ACOM. I would have to disagree with some of what you are saying.

I am a current first year and after confirming, we have had 14-16 students fail/have to repeat (Some of which were already repeating from the previous class which shows that those individuals just couldn't get it together.)

2. They are changing to cumulative finals for incoming classes (this I did not like but it wouldn't have made me not choose ACOM).
3. While it isn't in a major city there is still tons to do. The school is literally less than five minutes from Publix, Walgreens, wynn dixie, Walmart. There are bars, minigolf, the mall, along with a-lot of other things to do.
4. I have a different opinion on the faculty and staff because they have been great with myself and my friend group.

We Obviously have completely different views on the school and I am not trying to invalidate your feelings. However I do not want future students to be deterred because of subjective viewpoints.
Also a current student and I completely agree with @Calizboosted76 here. The school is still relatively new and trying new things/responding to student feedback. For one point of clarification, there will not be cumulative finals for classes. What there will be, starting with the Class of 2026, is a cumulative boards-style exam at the end of the first year. This will be used to assess readiness/preparedness for second year. The professors are planning on scaling the exam to where getting 50% correct would be the average. While I believe this exam will be largely useless and we would be better served with more standardized exams (instead of in-house), it shouldn't be a dealbreaker for applicants.

Grading policies at ACOM have only changed as a direct result of student feedback. The changes that I can think of were making OPP Practicals P/F instead of graded, adding Exam 1A to anatomy (to ease students in), and no longer grading dissections on completeness/thoroughness. Are there other changes that I can't recall? I'm sorry you haven't had the best experience at ACOM, @banevinny , but I felt that some of these points needed to be corrected/addressed.

ACOM is not perfect and has problems, just like every med school. Do your research, go in with your eyes open, and work hard. You'll do well.

Reactions: 4 users

I see your points but still hold true to my stance. There are only study spaces available because of the hybrid model in place because of COVID. The numbers faculty provides for the failure rate are incorrect and misleading to prospective students. There were around 30 students and around 20 students fail the past two years in their first semester. The things to do outside of college are kind of subjective so I won't touch on that. The faculty and staff do not review each others' slides before lecturing and many contradict each other. The advising department is not proactive in trying to help students and their curriculum is being experimented with every new class. I would recommend going to a more established institution that have proven their curriculum works and has a more dedicated staff.

I see your points but still hold true to my stance. There are only study spaces available because of the hybrid model in place because of COVID. The numbers faculty provides for the failure rate are incorrect and misleading to prospective students. There were around 30 students and around 20 students fail the past two years in their first semester. The things to do outside of college are kind of subjective so I won't touch on that. The faculty and staff do not review each others' slides before lecturing and many contradict each other. The advising department is not proactive in trying to help students and their curriculum is being experimented with every new class. I would recommend going to a more established institution that have proven their curriculum works and has a more dedicated staff.

Just for clarification, are you 2025 or 2024?

I wont argue back and fourth about the numbers however I disagree. The faculty and staff do a decent job. Well enough for students to match into competitive specialties every year.

Being successful in medicine is highly based on your own ability to be proactive and go for your goals. I have found tons of research and the advising department has also helped me in some ways.

Good luck to you and sorry to hear that you will be somewhere you dislike this much for the next couple of years.

Also a current student and I completely agree with @Calizboosted76 here. The school is still relatively new and trying new things/responding to student feedback. For one point of clarification, there will not be cumulative finals for classes. What there will be, starting with the Class of 2026, is a cumulative boards-style exam at the end of the first year. This will be used to assess readiness/preparedness for second year. The professors are planning on scaling the exam to where getting 50% correct would be the average. While I believe this exam will be largely useless and we would be better served with more standardized exams (instead of in-house), it shouldn't be a dealbreaker for applicants.

Grading policies at ACOM have only changed as a direct result of student feedback. The changes that I can think of were making OPP Practicals P/F instead of graded, adding Exam 1A to anatomy (to ease students in), and no longer grading dissections on completeness/thoroughness. Are there other changes that I can't recall? I'm sorry you haven't had the best experience at ACOM, @banevinny , but I felt that some of these points needed to be corrected/addressed.

ACOM is not perfect and has problems, just like every med school. Do your research, go in with your eyes open, and work hard. You'll do well.

Just for clarification, are you 2025 or 2024?

I wont argue back and fourth about the numbers however I disagree. The faculty and staff do a decent job. Well enough for students to match into competitive specialties every year.

Being successful in medicine is highly based on your own ability to be proactive and go for your goals. I have found tons of research and the advising department has also helped me in some ways.

Good luck to you and sorry to hear that you will be somewhere you dislike this much for the next couple of years.

I am just sending a warning to prospective students about the ever-changing ways that ACOM has implemented. They rarely place students in competitive residences unless they have connections into those fields. The MATCH rates for any school are skewed because of PGY-1 or PGY-2 students or students who had to repeat during their time there; so incoming students should really look into the data themselves and not go by the percentages advertised. They also don't include their grading policies, such as having over a 70 average on exams-only in molecular medicine, in their handbook but rather only disclose this to students when they receive the syllabus when they are already enrolled. To be successful in any medical school you have to be an outstanding student and dedicated but the policies and lack of in ACOM's case do not promote a student's success. Any prospective student should evaluate their options before deciding to come here.

I am just sending a warning to prospective students about the ever-changing ways that ACOM has implemented. They rarely place students in competitive residences unless they have connections into those fields. The MATCH rates for any school are skewed because of PGY-1 or PGY-2 students or students who had to repeat during their time there; so incoming students should really look into the data themselves and not go by the percentages advertised. They also don't include their grading policies, such as having over a 70 average on exams-only in molecular medicine, in their handbook but rather only disclose this to students when they receive the syllabus when they are already enrolled. To be successful in any medical school you have to be an outstanding student and dedicated but the policies and lack of in ACOM's case do not promote a student's success. Any prospective student should evaluate their options before deciding to come here.

I have to get back to studying so I wont be engaging anymore. I encourage any prospective students who read this forum to reach out to multiple students at ACOM and get their feedback. The way one sees things is different from the way others see things. I have yet to hear any negatives spoken from my classmates (aside from the ones who failed and did not make it to this semester).

My inbox is open to prospective students.

Hello everyone! 1st year student going to hop on here to offer my perspective.

1 - match data is available for everyone to view, and I highly recommend every prospective student to look @ the match data before deciding to come to any school! As another user stated previously, you can set up your own research opportunities or ask the faculty for help in doing this, especially considering a more competitive speciality. Furthermore, many other med schools are P/F anyways, so how well you do on STEP 2/COMLEX-2 + rotations (letters of evaluations will play a huge role) will hold a great deal of weight.

2 - I'm not sure why they should include grading policies for a 1st year class in their student handbook, considering the handbook is meant to be an overarching guide for all 4 years of school here. Using this logic, should the authors of the handbook also publish minimum course requirements for every pre-clinical course we have to take here, rather than including that information in the syllabus that is relevant to that particular course?

My overall review of ACOM (having just completed 1st semester)

- Med school is not easy, and who you go to school with can honestly make or break your experience. I'm very fortunate to have found an amazing community of people who come from different backgrounds and have such unique perspectives to offer our culture and discourse here at ACOM. The course material is overwhelming in terms of volume and difficulty, and you're going to be moving to a new city and completely re-adjusting your life. Once again, this takes a certain amount of work and courage to do, and finding a good friend group and study group (definitely not in the same) will be integral to your success.

-I struggled in my 1st semester, and I had my advisor and a guidance counselor reach out to me multiple times to get me set up with a tutor and to ask how they could help me modify my study habits/methods to ensure my success. My tutor and I met only once (that's all I felt was necessary), but I have friends who met with their tutors once a week during particularly difficult exam blocks.

-Dothan is a small town and it's not as metropolitan as other surrounding areas, but there's still plenty to do. I wish it had a greater variety of dining establishments, but that's really my only complaint (because what's the point of eating if I can't make my food look pretty on Instagram, amirite?). Otherwise, the close proximity to Destin & Pensacola make day trips to the beach a nice getaway from the mundane existence of med school.

Good luck to each and every one of you as you go through this process of med school applications! I think being able to become a physician is one of the highest honors that one can achieve, and mindset matters more than ever in this world. Great job on making this far, and please feel free to inbox me with any questions/concerns.

Reactions: 3 users

1 - match data is available for everyone to view, and I highly recommend every prospective student to look @ the match data before deciding to come to any school! As another user stated previously, you can set up your own research opportunities or ask the faculty for help in doing this, especially considering a more competitive speciality. Furthermore, many other med schools are P/F anyways, so how well you do on STEP 2/COMLEX-2 + rotations (letters of evaluations will play a huge role) will hold a great deal of weight.

2 - I'm not sure why they should include grading policies for a 1st year class in their student handbook, considering the handbook is meant to be an overarching guide for all 4 years of school here. Using this logic, should the authors of the handbook also publish minimum course requirements for every pre-clinical course we have to take here, rather than including that information in the syllabus that is relevant to that particular course?

- Med school is not easy, and who you go to school with can honestly make or break your experience. I'm very fortunate to have found an amazing community of people who come from different backgrounds and have such unique perspectives to offer our culture and discourse here at ACOM. The course material is overwhelming in terms of volume and difficulty, and you're going to be moving to a new city and completely re-adjusting your life. Once again, this takes a certain amount of work and courage to do, and finding a good friend group and study group (definitely not in the same) will be integral to your success.

-I struggled in my 1st semester, and I had my advisor and a guidance counselor reach out to me multiple times to get me set up with a tutor and to ask how they could help me modify my study habits/methods to ensure my success. My tutor and I met only once (that's all I felt was necessary), but I have friends who met with their tutors once a week during particularly difficult exam blocks.

-Dothan is a small town and it's not as metropolitan as other surrounding areas, but there's still plenty to do. I wish it had a greater variety of dining establishments, but that's really my only complaint (because what's the point of eating if I can't make my food look pretty on Instagram, amirite?). Otherwise, the close proximity to Destin & Pensacola make day trips to the beach a nice getaway from the mundane existence of med school.

Good luck to each and every one of you as you go through this process of med school applications! I think being able to become a physician is one of the highest honors that one can achieve, and mindset matters more than ever in this world. Great job on making this far, and please feel free to inbox me with any questions/concerns.
You take that comment about the dining back. Theres a chik-fil-a 3 minutes away. That is a perk to the school in itself.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
You take that comment about the dining back. Theres a chik-fil-a 3 minutes away. That is a perk to the school in itself.

Actually, I am in Dothan right now and there are more restaurants here than lots of big cities I have been to. You just have to drive to them.

Actually, I am in Dothan right now and there are more restaurants here than lots of big cities I have been to. You just have to drive to them.
Yea Dothan has a decent amount. You should check out Rodeo if you like Mexican.

Haha +1. I celebrated with friends after every exam block with Ooka Sushi or Thai House. The Asian cuisine is surprisingly popping for sub-rural Alabama

Haha +1. I celebrated with friends after every exam block with Ooka Sushi or Thai House. The Asian cuisine is surprisingly popping for sub-rural Alabama
Be careful, you might have just compromised your identity 😉

This is super random but if any current students can answer, how often do you wear scrubs, if at all? I got a couple pairs for Christmas & just want to see if two is enough or if I will even need them the first two years. Thanks in advance!

This is super random but if any current students can answer, how often do you wear scrubs, if at all? I got a couple pairs for Christmas & just want to see if two is enough or if I will even need them the first two years. Thanks in advance!
Scrubs/business casual is the dress code for most lectures, so many students wear scrubs every day. I have 5 or 6 pairs to wear for classes, as well as a "junk pair" that I had specifically for anatomy lab. I would have more than two pairs, but you could probably get away with 3 or 4 pairs.

Scrubs/business casual is the dress code for most lectures, so many students wear scrubs every day. I have 5 or 6 pairs to wear for classes, as well as a "junk pair" that I had specifically for anatomy lab. I would have more than two pairs, but you could probably get away with 3 or 4 pairs.
This is super helpful, I feel like the rules for scrub attire is different at every school so I appreciate the insight!

You'll wear them A lot, especially when there's more in person stuff

Just withdrew my II here. I hope it goes to one of you that are still waiting!

Just withdrew my II here. I hope it goes to one of you that are still waiting!
Good choice. This place is not worth it to go to. This is coming from a second year who has been through most of what ACOM has to offer.

• Haha
Good choice. This place is not worth it to go to. This is coming from a second year who has been through most of what ACOM has to offer.
you do realize that med school is hard right? the school isn‘t just going to spoon feed you and cater to your every complaint lol. Every other ACOM student on this site has said nothing but great things about the program. You’re complaining about very generic issues that are present in essentially 90% of US med schools so…idk man…

Reactions: 4 users
you do realize that med school is hard right? the school isn‘t just going to spoon feed you and cater to your every complaint lol. Every other ACOM student on this site has said nothing but great things about the program. You’re complaining about very generic issues that are present in essentially 90% of US med schools so…idk man…
I would recommend expanding your views and doing some research on other D.O. schools that all have set and proven protocols in place.

can someone post the accepted students group me link/ Facebook link? gonna pay my deposit today

My application has been on the pre-interview waitlist since December. They were pretty quick about it - completed 11/23. Anyone know when they start looking at the waitlists?

Has anyone reached out to admissions to ask about WL movement?

What about the waitlist to get in? (not for interviews). Has anyone heard if there has been movement?

What about the waitlist to get in? (not for interviews). Has anyone heard if there has been movement?

It seems as though no one has gotten off the post-Interview waitlist yet. When I was placed on the waitlist in NOV they said there is a lot of movement around March. I’m sure if you called or emailed they could give a more specific answer.

It seems as though no one has gotten off the post-Interview waitlist yet. When I was placed on the waitlist in NOV they said there is a lot of movement around March. I’m sure if you called or emailed they could give a more specific answer.
They told me that after the December 14th deposit date, some movement would take place before Christmas. However, I haven't heard of any movement. Anyone else?