2021-2022 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to confirm this school doesn’t send rejections ? I was put on interview waitlist but I see they are booked with interviews till April. So waitlist is just rejection hell?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to confirm this school doesn’t send rejections ? I was put on interview waitlist but I see they are booked with interviews till April. So waitlist is just rejection hell?

You are correct. What I don’t know is if anyone gets rejected post-II. I haven’t seen anyone say they’ve gotten r’d after interviewing, just waitlists and acceptances.

You are correct. What I don’t know is if anyone gets rejected post-II. I haven’t seen anyone say they’ve gotten r’d after interviewing, just waitlists and acceptances.
no, this isn't correct. ACOM screens at every level, they screen primary applications so not everyone gets a secondary and they send out pre-interview and post-interview rejections. Post-interview rejections are pretty rare though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
no, this isn't correct. ACOM screens at every level, they screen primary applications so not everyone gets a secondary and they send out pre-interview and post-interview rejections. Post-interview rejections are pretty rare though.

I’ve been told that many people don’t move from interview-waitlist status which turns into a default rejection at the end of the cycle, no?

I’ve been told that many people don’t move from interview-waitlist status which turns into a default rejection at the end of the cycle, no?
yes, but they do pull people off wls

pre-interview waitlist? yes, some people won't make it off and at the end of the cycle, they will be rejected. But a majority of the waitlist will see movement.

pre-interview waitlist? yes, some people won't make it off and at the end of the cycle, they will be rejected. But a majority of the waitlist will see movement.
Do you happen to know if there’ll be post-II waitlist movement around December? I got waitlisted early September after my interview.

Just received an interview invitation for tomorrow morning! Any advice for their interview style? Is it an open or closed-door interview? Traditional or problem-based learning? Any advice would help! Thank you so much :)))))
Kinda curious based on the wording, but are you saying that you got a II today and was able to book a interview for tomorrow morning?

Nevertheless, the interview is open notes, so the interviewers have access to everything in your application.

Do you happen to know if there’ll be post-II waitlist movement around December? I got waitlisted early September after my interview.
yeah, the deposit date is dec 14th. as people drop due to deposit or other acceptance you will see interview movement. I would say January- march is will you will see the most movement.

Reactions: 2 users
Should I be concerned if I still haven't heard a decision since my interview? My interview was 11/1 and I know some people on here have heard back that interviewed on that date. Probably just being impatient but just really nervous to hear back 😅

Should I be concerned if I still haven't heard a decision since my interview? My interview was 11/1 and I know some people on here have heard back that interviewed on that date. Probably just being impatient but just really nervous to hear back 😅
Earlier in the cycle when I interviewed it was about a week turnaround. Maybe check your junk or spam folders? If not then I would just wait it out as the adcom are most likely sorting through a mountain of apps. I personally would avoid calling them as that might annoy them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 11/5 Accepted 11/11! Does anyone know if they are going to have accepted student visit days? I've never been to Dothan and have a decision to make before these fat deposits are due...

Interviewed 11/5 Accepted 11/11! Does anyone know if they are going to have accepted student visit days? I've never been to Dothan and have a decision to make before these fat deposits are due...

I was accepted in August and I recently got an email about a couple of accepted student visit days going through December!

I was accepted in August and I recently got an email about a couple of accepted student visit days going through December!
that sounds great, I went ahead and emailed admissions! I was able to visit the other school I've been accepted at but I really want to check out ACOM too before I make a final decision!

So how do they decide who to pull off when it starts moving which says above will be after accepted deposits are due?
sorry for not clarifying, it's an unofficial rank right now, they don't rank everyone 1-100 but they have some idea of who will be the next people they accept. so no official rank and even when they do rank students with numbers they will not tell you where you rank. Beyond this, I do not know much about the WL.

Yes! I was accepted back in August and ACOM admissions recently sent me an email last week w/ 3 dates to attend in-person accepted students tours prior to 12/15. You can reach out to admissions and ask about this. They are very receptive and will reply quickly! Hope this helps :)

Did anyone receive a secondary very late from this school? I had sent my primary and Casper in months ago and still haven't received a secondary (or any other message for that matter). I did email admissions to try to check if they had received all my information to make a decision about sending me a secondary, but they gave me a generic answer to the effect of "we will let you know if we need anything more from you." Do I just assume I received a pre-secondary rejection?

Does anyone know if when they check your LORs as complete on the portal, they checked whether they fit the criteria required? Are the letters reviewed before calling for an interview?

Does anyone know if when they check your LORs as complete on the portal, they checked whether they fit the criteria required? Are the letters reviewed before calling for an interview?
Yeah definitely. I didn't hear back over a month after having sent everything in that was required and I finally emailed admissions about it, and they told me they couldn't finish reviewing my application because one of my letters wasn't signed. If you haven't heard back for a while, I'd just reach out and ask about it.

Hey there, I was accepted in mid Sep and if any of you guys have questions about the process feel free to PM me!

Yes! I was accepted back in August and ACOM admissions recently sent me an email last week w/ 3 dates to attend in-person accepted students tours prior to 12/15. You can reach out to admissions and ask about this. They are very receptive and will reply quickly! Hope this helps :)
Hey, just curious what days they stated are their accepted student tours? I'm hoping to make it down to Dothan in the next week or two to help make my decision by the deadline.

Hey, just curious what days they stated are their accepted student tours? I'm hoping to make it down to Dothan in the next week or two to help make my decision by the deadline.
The next available one is Dec 3rd at 11 am.

I’d reach out to ACOM by phone or email to sign up and make sure you’re good to go.

I let them know I was attending that one via email but they didn’t confirm so imma reach out again.

I’d reach out to ACOM by phone or email to sign up and make sure you’re good to go.

I let them know I was attending that one via email but they didn’t confirm so imma reach out again.
yes I would reach out because they sent me a confirmation email within a few days of signing up

I wouldn't think like that! I was on the interview waitlist since July & last week got a call that they had a spot open up for an interview the following week! There's still hope :)

For those that were already interviewed, was there a way to find out who was interviewing you beforehand or no?

I know someone who got rejected pre-II this cycle. Funny thing is they got an interview from a mid MD school.

For those that were already interviewed, was there a way to find out who was interviewing you beforehand or no?
No it’s completely random
It’s not as bad as it sounds tho, ACOM faculty is super personable

Sorry Dec 3 at 1:30 CST*
Just received email confirmation today if anyone is still wondering if it’s available

Hellooo! Has there been any interview waitlist movement in the recent days? Trying to keep the hope alive 😭
Thank you!!

Random question, but are people wearing business casual to the accepted student tours or just casual.

Random question, but are people wearing business casual to the accepted student tours or just casual.
While I am unsure if it matters. Campus policy is business casual during business hours.

Does anyone know the difference between the red highlighted names and green highlighted names in the individual interview schedule lol?

Does anyone know the difference between the red highlighted names and green highlighted names in the individual interview schedule lol?

I think they are grouped by who the interviewer is during that specific time block.

Just got waitlisted from 11/1 interview 😥

• Care
When is the biggest turnover on the waitlist? I am still very hopeful?

hi y'all! do you know if/ when ACOM offers any scholarships?

hi y'all! do you know if/ when ACOM offers any scholarships?
Not directly but if you go to their website they keep a long list of all the organizations that do offer scholarships and what you have to do to obtain them.

When is the biggest turnover on the waitlist? I am still very hopeful?
The biggest turnover last year was later in the cycle closer in summer for ACOM. From my experience applying and getting off the waitlist in June, the waitlist is usually utilized after the conclusion of interviews in April-ish. Then once people start dropping their acceptances, they pull directly from the waitlist. So don't be discouraged and keep the admission's office updated.

The biggest turnover last year was later in the cycle closer in summer for ACOM. From my experience applying and getting off the waitlist in June, the waitlist is usually utilized after the conclusion of interviews in April-ish. Then once people start dropping their acceptances, they pull directly from the waitlist. So don't be discouraged and keep the admission's office updated.

When were you waitlisted last cycle?

I submitted my secondary ~3 months ago and only recently checked my portal where it said my application was 75% complete with one of my letters having not been processed. I called ACOM and the lady said that as long as I haven't received any emails to just keep waiting. Got a little worried since other people had their applications marked as complete within even days, so I was wondering if my application got lost or something/should be a cause for concern? :cryi:

When were you waitlisted last cycle?
I interviewed in January- So probably Early February.

Also I'm not saying that they don't pull off the waitlist before summer but thats where I saw the most movement :)

Withdrawing my A, hope it goes out to one of you !!
Good luck future doctors :)