2021-2022 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else not heard back after interviewing on 10/27?

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone interview in early December hear back yet? They said 4-6 weeks but closer to 6 because of the holidays so just wondering...
I interviewed early December and haven’t heard yet! I was thinking maybe by the end of January.

Hi everyone!

I am a current first year here at Albany Med. Feel free to message me/reply to this post with any questions you might have about the school

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back :happy:
What's the housing situation look like? Is there a particular apartment complex/general area most M1s stay at?

Has there been any talk of revising the curriculum to switch away from traditional 2+2 and more like 1.5+2.5 for earlier clerkships?

What are your impressions of the city in general so far? Positive? Negative?

Members don't see this ad :)
II today at 3pm. My first one of the cycle!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 20 users
What's the housing situation look like? Is there a particular apartment complex/general area most M1s stay at?

Has there been any talk of revising the curriculum to switch away from traditional 2+2 and more like 1.5+2.5 for earlier clerkships?

What are your impressions of the city in general so far? Positive? Negative?
There are couple of new apartment complexes that alot of med students live in but they can be a bit pricey (ex: Park South). The standard is to be walking distance from school and alot of us live in duplexes with roomates which is alot cheaper than living in those brand new apartments.

I did hear that they are thinking of going 1.5+2.5 but im not sure if those changes will be ready for class of 2026.

I come from Los Angeles so to me this city is kinda small and boring. Few bars that everyone frequents so you are often running into classmates or other students. Definitely more of a small town feeling. My biggest con has to do more with the coast than Albany. It gets so dark and grey here during winter. I struggled with that at first but again I've never lived on the east coast before. I actually like the fact that there isnt much going on in the city cause it lets me concentrate on my studies and allows me to plan trips to places like NYC, Boston etc when i do have free weekends.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I am a current first year here at Albany Med. Feel free to message me/reply to this post with any questions you might have about the school

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back :happy:
thank you!! what are some things about albany that you like/dislike?

There are couple of new apartment complexes that alot of med students live in but they can be a bit pricey (ex: Park South). The standard is to be walking distance from school and alot of us live in duplexes with roomates which is alot cheaper than living in those brand new apartments.

I did hear that they are thinking of going 1.5+2.5 but im not sure if those changes will be ready for class of 2026.

I come from Los Angeles so to me this city is kinda small and boring. Few bars that everyone frequents so you are often running into classmates or other students. Definitely more of a small town feeling. My biggest con has to do more with the coast than Albany. It gets so dark and grey here during winter. I struggled with that at first but again I've never lived on the east coast before. I actually like the fact that there isnt much going on in the city cause it lets me concentrate on my studies and allows me to plan trips to places like NYC, Boston etc when i do have free weekends.
When I interviewed in Dec the dean of education said the new curriculum is pretty much finalized and its still 2+2

Reactions: 1 user
when do they usually release decisions? going on 10 weeks post interview here

• Care
I feel like no one has really heard much in the last couple of months, maybe there will be a lot of As soon?

So how come this school isn’t really ranked? Everything I find says it’s Unranked or ranked horribly?

• Hmm
So how come this school isn’t really ranked? Everything I find says it’s Unranked or ranked horribly?
Not to be that person but rank really doesn't matter. It's a US MD school, either way it's great

Reactions: 6 users
Not to be that person but rank really doesn't matter. It's a US MD school, either way it's great
I get that and def true! Just curious as to why it’s “unranked” or on some charts what makes it rank low considering it’s quite an old school and gets tons of apps. I imagine because it’s private so no state funding for research etc.? But ya just curious no hate would go anywhere fs lol

I get that and def true! Just curious as to why it’s “unranked” or on some charts what makes it rank low considering it’s quite an old school and gets tons of apps. I imagine because it’s private so no state funding for research etc.? But ya just curious no hate would go anywhere fs lol
"Unranked" means the school did not submit its info to USNR to be ranked
"Rank not published" means the school submitted info, was given a # ranking, and refused to let it be seen (I think Rosalind Franklin does this)

People consider it a "low-tier" school because the admission stats like GPA/MCAT are on the lower end (explains why they get so many apps), it's not affiliated with a University (less research funding = less academic prestige), it's older and facilities may show their age, and likely because of location (Albany is not Boston or NYC).

What's important to note is that an MD is an MD at the end of the day and matching the residency you desire is usually dependent on the individual, not the school they attend. Although, going to a school with more resources can give you an advantage.

Reactions: 8 users
"Unranked" means the school did not submit its info to USNR to be ranked
"Rank not published" means the school submitted info, was given a # ranking, and refused to let it be seen (I think Rosalind Franklin does this)

People consider it a "low-tier" school because the admission stats like GPA/MCAT are on the lower end (explains why they get so many apps), it's not affiliated with a University (less research funding = less academic prestige), it's older and facilities may show their age, and likely because of location (Albany is not Boston or NYC).

What's important to note is that an MD is an MD at the end of the day and matching the residency you desire is usually dependent on the individual, not the school they attend. Although, going to a school with more resources can give you an advantage.
Yeah, and in terms of residency, Albany has a pretty impressive match list.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know when Albany starts pulling people off the Alternate list? Thanks!

Alt list just now. Thought my interview went so well sigh.

• Care
Alt list just now. Thought my interview went so well sigh.
I am sure it did go so well! Albany said they put a really high percentage of the applicants they ultimately end up accepting on the alt list first and there has already been movement from the list so don't lose hope! You've got this- sending good vibes!!!

Reactions: 2 users
+1 AL list. interviewed early November. They said they AL basically everyone on interview day don't be to shaken up by this decision!

• Care
I am sure it did go so well! Albany said they put a really high percentage of the applicants they ultimately end up accepting on the alt list first and there has already been movement from the list so don't lose hope! You've got this- sending good vibes!!!
Where did you get that there has been movement already? Thanks!

AL for me too just now, interviewed early November.

• Care
AL for me too :/ really thought my interview went quite well. Does anyone know when they start moving people off the alternate list?

• Care
10/25 interviewee still nothing...what does this mean

• Care
A on 1/12 off of alternate list. Interviewed 10/22.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
oh and stats:
LM 67.6, went to T25 undergrad. lmk if you guys have any questions

• Care
Accepted from the AL! My first MD acceptance, so I am incredibly excited! Interviewed 09/15, AL 10/20.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Accepted from the AL! My first MD acceptance, so I am incredibly excited! Interviewed 09/15, AL 10/20.
congratulations! lol i was ALed on the same day. oh welll :(

• Care
10/25 interviewee still nothing...what does this mean
Did you still not hear today? Because I’m a 10/27 interviewee and haven’t heard… I thought we would if they’re getting back to the November folks.

Did you still not hear today? Because I’m a 10/27 interviewee and haven’t heard… I thought we would if they’re getting back to the November folks.
still nothing. tried to call and got sent to VM. emailed to ask when we might hear. :/

II received, but withdrew my app as I have other acceptances. Good luck to everyone else!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users