2021-2022 Arizona, Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got a II as a CA applicant, complete early August. I’m pretty shocked to learn that the interview is in person!?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got a II as a CA applicant, complete early August. I’m pretty shocked to learn that the interview is in person!?
They were in-person for the whole cycle -- they have a couple dates specifically for remote if you want to try to request those!

Reactions: 1 user
They were in-person for the whole cycle -- they have a couple dates specifically for remote if you want to try to request those!
I had no idea—for the sake of my mental health I have absolutely no idea whats going on an a school unless I get an II lol. I went ahead and scheduled the in-person!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I had no idea—for the sake of my mental health I have absolutely no idea whats going on an a school unless I get an II lol. I went ahead and scheduled the in-person!
They recently changed some interview dates to virtual because of COVID, so your date could potentially become virtual too

Has anyone gotten a call this morning? I know they are supposed to call if you get in today but idk what time to expect (if at all…)

OOS, just got the A today! On the west coast so I was surprised to hear back so early in the morning :)

Reactions: 1 users
IS, interviewed on 1/10. Just caught the post-II R. Good luck everyone moving forward! It’s a fantastic school :)

OOS applicant complete early October, and haven’t heard a peep. Is this school done sending IIs?

Hey all! Have any accepted students heard any other updates from the school aside from the initial acceptance call and email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they normally have a large acceptance wave closer to the end of the cycle, or have those who have been put on continued consideration for months now pretty much headed for the WL/R?

Do they normally have a large acceptance wave closer to the end of the cycle, or have those who have been put on continued consideration for months now pretty much headed for the WL/R?
I think that based off last years thread, there are more acceptances in March and April before people are put on the alternate list. Also the application tracker shows that 122 people have been accepted, but last year 232 people were accepted in total. So I would say they probably have a larger acceptance wave later in the cycle.

455 people interviewed at this point, so is it safe to assume they are pretty much done interviewing ??

IS submitted back in August and it has been radio silent :(

No. I emailed last week about second look days and they said the date and format is still TBD.
Hey all! Have any accepted students heard any other updates from the school aside from the initial acceptance call and email?

455 people interviewed at this point, so is it safe to assume they are pretty much done interviewing ??

IS submitted back in August and it has been radio silent :(
Same I’m about to withdraw before I get rejected from this school lol

Did they ever say this explicitly? I've looked everywhere on their website for their policy on letters but I couldn't find any so I sent a letter of intent a week ago to the admissions email.
They said it in my interview.

Does anyone know the match rate overall for Arizona-Pheonix? Im having trouble finding it online.

Just got the call, got the acceptance!!

Reactions: 6 users
Just received an email that "the committee is requesting to keep your application active for further consideration." The email also states that "the next date by which you can expect an update to your application status is March 7th, 2022."

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an email that "the committee is requesting to keep your application active for further consideration." The email also states that "the next date by which you can expect an update to your application status is March 7th, 2022."
Same - Been getting that same email since early January ☹️

• Sad
Same - Been getting that same email since early January ☹️
I feel ya I've been getting it since August

I think a lot of the people who are deferred will end up waitlisted at the end of the cycle based on previous threads.... but it also seems like they are relatively conservative with As so there's a good amount of waitlist movement

Does anyone know what their match rate is? I was also wondering if there are any merit based scholarships there?

Last edited:
Are people actually getting rejected or does a big R wave come at the end?

Campus tour and other events email sent out to accepted students! It doesn't seem like Facebook page, enrollment next steps, or financial aid applications are up yet. Hope to possibly see some of y'all around at the events!

Just got an email about reconnecting with UA PHX. Seems like they don't have any official visit day, but you can attend a campus tour and some virtual events (match day and research symposium).

Anyone know if they have any merit scholarships or other scholarship opportunities? For their primary care scholarship, do you have to commit to doing residency in Phoenix?

For their primary care scholarship, do you have to commit to doing residency in Phoenix?
From their website, it doesn't seem like there's a requirement to do residency in Phoenix. Service is post-completion of 1 of the following residencies/fellowships:
  • Family medicine.
  • General internal medicine.
  • Geriatric medicine.
  • General pediatrics.
  • General surgery.
  • Obstetrics and gynecology.
  • Psychiatry.

Accepted 1/18 and haven’t gotten any additional information since. I know Choose your Medical School tool is opening soon, does UA Phoenix use that or is there anything we need to do right now?

Accepted 1/18 and haven’t gotten any additional information since. I know Choose your Medical School tool is opening soon, does UA Phoenix use that or is there anything we need to do right now?
ALL of the AMCAS schools use that tool.
Go to AMCAS and update yourself

Hey everyone. I just wanted to get some perspectives different than my own. For my OOS friends here, why did you guys decide to apply to Arizona-Pheonix?

Hey everyone. I just wanted to get some perspectives different than my own. For my OOS friends here, why did you guys decide to apply to Arizona-Pheonix?
Hello friend! I applied here because of the location, weather, friendliness of the administration and current students, and opportunities inherent to a newer school.

I am a CA resident, and UA Phoenix is as close to CA as it gets while attending an OOS medical school. I actually love hot, sunny weather because I cannot stand the cold at all. I had heard a lot from my friends about how friendly the administration at UA Phoenix is, and after interacting with them this cycle, I cannot agree more. The people here were by far the most welcoming of all the people I had met this cycle. I also really wanted to go somewhere that was newer -- whether it's the developing community that is Phoenix or UA Phoenix being a slightly newer medical school, I wanted to go somewhere that I could create things that I am passionate about. Unfortunately, I will not be attending UA Phoenix due to personal reasons, but I would have zero hesitation coming here for the next 4 years of my life. Happy to answer more questions!

Hello friend! I applied here because of the location, weather, friendliness of the administration and current students, and opportunities inherent to a newer school.

I am a CA resident, and UA Phoenix is as close to CA as it gets while attending an OOS medical school. I actually love hot, sunny weather because I cannot stand the cold at all. I had heard a lot from my friends about how friendly the administration at UA Phoenix is, and after interacting with them this cycle, I cannot agree more. The people here were by far the most welcoming of all the people I had met this cycle. I also really wanted to go somewhere that was newer -- whether it's the developing community that is Phoenix or UA Phoenix being a slightly newer medical school, I wanted to go somewhere that I could create things that I am passionate about. Unfortunately, I will not be attending UA Phoenix due to personal reasons, but I would have zero hesitation coming here for the next 4 years of my life. Happy to answer more questions!
Im interested why were you wanting a newer med school? I think one of my concerns is possible lack of resources because of how new it is.

Im interested why were you wanting a newer med school? I think one of my concerns is possible lack of resources because of how new it is.
Definitely a valid concern! I wanted to go to a newer school where I had the opportunity to mold things into the way I liked them or thought they should be done. I have always had a slight frustration with very historic, traditional institutions because there can be a sense of complacency, where if things have always worked out, why should we change the way we do things?

Through my conversations with current students and faculty at UA Phoenix, I have always gotten the sense that they are always trying to make things better for their students and will do their best to find ways to help you do the things you wish to do. They also have some very awesome clinical partners, such as Barrow Neurological, Banner Medical Center, and Mayo Arizona.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely a valid concern! I wanted to go to a newer school where I had the opportunity to mold things into the way I liked them or thought they should be done. I have always had a slight frustration with very historic, traditional institutions because there can be a sense of complacency, where if things have always worked out, why should we change the way we do things?

Through my conversations with current students and faculty at UA Phoenix, I have always gotten the sense that they are always trying to make things better for their students and will do their best to find ways to help you do the things you wish to do. They also have some very awesome clinical partners, such as Barrow Neurological, Banner Medical Center, and Mayo Arizona.
That's valid. I am leaning more towards neurology, so being around Barrow would be awesome. Thanks for taking the time to indulge my curiosity!

• Care