2021-2022 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when they are going to release the residency match placements for the class that just graduated this past spring?

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone decides to submit a deposit, message me! I'm debating whether to start a groupme so I can get to know future classmates.
I am for sure going to go. I’m just waiting to send the deposit in a few weeks :)
I’ve reviewed the questions from the SDN interview page for ARCOM, but are there any other places online that you found where people posted questions that they got? Thanks!!
Those are the ones I reviewed too and the only ones that came up :)

I am for sure going to go. I’m just waiting to send the deposit in a few weeks :)

Awesome, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk if it matters or not but i legit wrote random sentences lol cuz writing is not my cup of tea. Its an open ended question like @tuf13119 said. Thats why its hard for me cuz i could have written about anything. You're given like 5 min for a broad question which is why it's kinda a pain.
I think it's important for applicants to realize that almost all pre-meds say they're bad at writing. it's all relative.

For anybody who says the writing activity does not matter AND was offered an acceptance, IMHO y'all are speaking from a perspective of privilege. For applicants who adcoms view less favorably, I feel this could at least move an applicant from a waitlist to an A.

Damn I interview Oct 12 so by the sounds of it the class should have given out around 150 acceptances by then? Thats really surprising they’re interviewing that many kids so fast but the pressure is on I guess.
Okay I feel like we need to relax and take things day by day. Every school is basically the same because they interview applicants with higher stats or that they reeeeally want first. My interview is on 10/29 because that was the SOONEST date I could get and I got my II on 9/20. We cannot bum ourselves out or get stressed because the "school will fill up their spots my mid-October". Think about this way: if you get an interview, you are already on the right track. The school clearly liked your application and basically wants to know you better and see if you could be a good fit in the class. So, let's relax because we will be fine! It is still super early in the cycle. Some people get interviews in December and January even, so why would a school keep interviewing if "their class is already filled up"? Let's be real. People interviewed after the first few months in the cycle might be "alternates" for those who deny admission early on, but that does not mean they don't have an equal chance of being accepted right after the interview. We will be okay people...

PS. I'm sure the person who initially said it was not trying to discourage others by relaying the message the Dean said, but from my perspective, it sounded discouraging. Again, I'm not trying to throw shade at anyone, but let's remember we should all encourage e/o and keep the hope alive!

Reactions: 1 user
Okay I feel like we need to relax and take things day by day. Every school is basically the same because they interview applicants with higher stats or that they reeeeally want first. My interview is on 10/29 because that was the SOONEST date I could get and I got my II on 9/20. We cannot bum ourselves out or get stressed because the "school will fill up their spots my mid-October". Think about this way: if you get an interview, you are already on the right track. The school clearly liked your application and basically wants to know you better and see if you could be a good fit in the class. So, let's relax because we will be fine! It is still super early in the cycle. Some people get interviews in December and January even, so why would a school keep interviewing if "their class is already filled up"? Let's be real. People interviewed after the first few months in the cycle might be "alternates" for those who deny admission early on, but that does not mean they don't have an equal chance of being accepted right after the interview. We will be okay people...

PS. I'm sure the person who initially said it was not trying to discourage others by relaying the message the Dean said, but from my perspective, it sounded discouraging. Again, I'm not trying to throw shade at anyone, but let's remember we should all encourage e/o and keep the hope alive!
I agree and I like this positivity :) Also, looking at even last year's thread, there were many people posting about acceptances well into Nov/Dec time frame! And also, if the school thought they didn't need to interview after mid-October because they would be full and everyone would send in their deposit, they would not be scheduling interviews after that!

why would a school keep interviewing if "their class is already filled up"? Let's be real. People interviewed after the first few months in the cycle might be "alternates" for those who deny admission early on, but that does not mean they don't have an equal chance of being accepted right after the interview.
I'm not here to sound discouraging but from my interview session, here's what the Dean said:

Class is expected to fill in October. Idk if mid October, but definitely not early October.

Afterwards, applicants who are called in to the interview are invited because the adcoms are aware that people filling those seats may not attend ARCOM.
-
Idk what this is even supposed to mean, but I do NOT think that applicants at this school who interview after October have "an equal chance of being accepted right after the interview" compared to their counterparts who interviewed in earlier months.

I agree and I like this positivity :) Also, looking at even last year's thread, there were many people posting about acceptances well into Nov/Dec time frame! And also, if the school thought they didn't need to interview after mid-October because they would be full and everyone would send in their deposit, they would not be scheduling interviews after that!
Yeah, the school most definitely does not think everybody accepted will send in the deposit.

Yeah, the school most definitely does not think everybody accepted will send in the deposit.

Exactly, there are waves of open seats throughout the cycle. While there are more open seats early there are still many seats available after the first deposit deadline. Let’s face it the first wave of acceptances are high stat people who will get acceptances at many places (including MD). I think it would be fair to say they MAYBE have a third locked in by the first deposit deadline.

Exactly, there are waves of open seats throughout the cycle. While there are more open seats early there are still many seats available after the first deposit deadline. Let’s face it the first wave of acceptances are high stat people who will get acceptances at many places (including MD). I think it would be fair to say they MAYBE have a third locked in by the first deposit deadline.
Tbh I doubt the Dean would lie to us but part of me is holding onto the hope that this cycle could be different from previous cycles :/ idk no reasoning, just me trying to feel better about things.

congrats! what makes you so set on going to ARCOM if you don't mind me asking?

Tbh I doubt the Dean would lie to us but part of me is holding onto the hope that this cycle could be different from previous cycles :/ idk no reasoning, just me trying to feel better about things.

It’s not a lie to say that they handed out a full classes-worth of acceptances “filled out class”. What these applicants choose to do after there acceptance invitation is up to the individual.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s not a lie to say that they handed out a full classes-worth of acceptances “filled out class”. What these applicants choose to do after there acceptance invitation is up to the individual.
First of all, it was NOT the Dean that said this. It was another employee there and the information was likely not delivered/received as intended. What others are saying is true. The class has not “filled” until spring in the past. In fact, the deposit dates are in December, so no official fill count is even done until then. The previous posts are accurate in that all schools offer more admissions than seats due to the percent of applicants that decline or accept and then decide to go somewhere else. Historically the class has had as many, if not more people in the class on the first day of coursework that interviewed in Feb-March than it did that interviewed in Sept-Oct. This is due to acceptance shift that all schools see throughout the acceptance season. To those waiting on their interviews right now. You are fine!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, it was NOT the Dean that said this. It was another employee there and the information was likely not delivered/received as intended. What others are saying is true. The class has not “filled” until spring in the past. In fact, the deposit dates are in December, so no official fill count is even done until then. The previous posts are accurate in that all schools offer more admissions than seats due to the percent of applicants that decline or accept and then decide to go somewhere else. Historically the class has had as many, if not more people in the class on the first day of coursework that interviewed in Feb-March than it did that interviewed in Sept-Oct. This is due to acceptance shift that all schools see throughout the acceptance season. To those waiting on their interviews right now. You are fine!
This!

I think what's making this topic complicated is that the Dean's definition of "filled" may not 100% match the conventional explanation you're providing here.

If there is someone that has been placed on a pre secondary hold, did you send an update? If so, has your status changed?
Thank you!!!

Is it too early to send Letter of Intent to this school? I am waitlisted since past 3 weeks and I see myself here being an ARCOM family. I'd definitely choose this school if I get in.

Is it too early to send Letter of Intent to this school? I am waitlisted since past 3 weeks and I see myself here being an ARCOM family. I'd definitely choose this school if I get in.
Hey! When did you interview? What were your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

Got waitlisted
Sorry to hear that. In my interview they said that being waitlisted was not a bad thing. The waitlist moved fast and the President himself said to not be discouraged if you are waitlisted. Hang tight, I’m sure that A is coming!

Has anyone that interviewed 9/21 or 9/24 heard an admissions decision yet?

Sorry to hear that. In my interview they said that being waitlisted was not a bad thing. The waitlist moved fast and the President himself said to not be discouraged if you are waitlisted. Hang tight, I’m sure that A is coming!
Hopefully yes. Did they mention when does the waitlist movement happen? Its probably gonna be next March/April I guess.

Hopefully yes. Did they mention when does the waitlist movement happen? Its probably gonna be next March/April I guess.
I think they said that it is possible for it to constantly be moving. I'm sure there will be movement after the first deposit due date when people give up their seats to go to other schools. I have similar stats to you and I interviewed on 9/21 and have no yet heard anything which is starting to make me nervous. Did you take casper?

I think they said that it is possible for it to constantly be moving. I'm sure there will be movement after the first deposit due date when people give up their seats to go to other schools. I have similar stats to you and I interviewed on 9/21 and have no yet heard anything which is starting to make me nervous. Did you take casper?
I found out I was waitlisted after around 13 days. I did not take casper. Hopefully you will hear good news soon.

Just finished in person yesterday and visited downtown Fort Smith and got some bbq that was a fun trip.
Usually May/June

On last year's thread, I saw where some students contacted admissions to see why they were waitlisted/rejected post interview. If you haven't already- maybe you could reach out and see what they say? Then you could specifically address whatever it is, in your letter of intent. Based on your stats, it probably wasn't that. But if it was like clinical experience or shadowing or something, that'd be an easy thing to address and let me them know in the letter you've found shadowing or are beginning a new clinical experience or something like that. I think is would be my approach, but just an idea!

Overall, cost of attendance + tuition was the cheapest, culture of the school, and they are invested in improving the program. The technology in the school is pretty good. Oh, and the surrounding community support is awesome too.

I had not been to Arkansas until I went for my interview so I didn’t have any ties to the area or any idea what it was like beforehand.
What is the overall cost of attendance for out of state student. I have been accepted into the school so this info will help alot. On their website it say annual cost with on campus living is $76,000 annually. Please share this information

What is the overall cost of attendance for out of state student. I have been accepted into the school so this info will help alot. On their website it say annual cost with on campus living is $76,000 annually. Please share this information
Did you receive your acceptance today?

Wouldn't the OOS cost be the same as IS? I think this school is private?

Just got the acceptance call from Dr. Mcclain! He told me that they are currently behind a couple of days, so that is why they had a delay on acceptances. I didn't get the official acceptance email yet, but when is the deadline for the deposit to hold a seat?

Just got the acceptance call from Dr. Mcclain! He told me that they are currently behind a couple of days, so that is why they had a delay on acceptances. I didn't get the official acceptance email yet, but when is the deadline for the deposit to hold a seat?
That’s awesome! Congrats!! Do you mind if I ask your stats?

The general rule for DO programs is an acceptance before Nov-15th has till Dec-14th, and those accepted after Nov-15th have 30 days to put a deposit down ie. holding your seat. Obviously you should call or email the school directly, but that is the general rule of thumb.

Congratulations! I didn't know ARCOM did Monday interviews. I interviewed on Tuesday, 9/21 :) Very happy for you!
You're right, I got the dates mixed up when I looked over my past emails. I was in your interview group since I also interviewed 9/21

Hey y’all. I got the phone call around 11am est!

Interviewed 9/24 (so it took 13 days)

cGpa: 3.83
sGpa: 3.78
MCAT (125/125/124/127) = 501

New England resident.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y’all. I got the phone call around 11am est!

Interviewed 9/24 (so it took 13 days)

cGpa: 3.83
sGpa: 3.78
MCAT (125/125/124/127) = 501

New England resident.
Awesome! Congratulations! I received the acceptance phone call last night (II on 9/21) and I have very similar stats to you! I am an Oklahoma resident.

Just to put it out there, definitely do not get discouraged if you interview later in the cycle or get waitlisted. I was not interviewed until like the end of February in this past cycle, got waitlisted, and was pulled off of the waitlist in late July. I also know a few others that got pulled off in late July as well.

Also since I think it will be asked here are my stats:
From Texas
GPA: 3.75
SGPA: I think it was close to a 3.66 (idk can't honestly remember)
MCAT: 499

Best of luck to everyone this cycle!

Just to put it out there, definitely do not get discouraged if you interview later in the cycle or get waitlisted. I was not interviewed until like the end of February in this past cycle, got waitlisted, and was pulled off of the waitlist in late July. I also know a few others that got pulled off in late July as well.

From Texas

but do you know if this school has good WL movement?

From Texas

Did you send any updates or LOI while being waitlisted?