2021-2022 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ooop i sent my thank you note directly to my interviewer not on the portal a while ago. I just saw there is a place for me to put it on the portal, should I add it now?
I did this too and they just forward your note to the interview coordinators and it ends up on your portal anyways. I wouldn't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad.

I did this too and they just forward your note to the interview coordinators and it ends up on your portal anyways. I wouldn't sweat it.
like do u see it on the portal? My interview was a while ago and I sent my thank you letter like a day later, but I don't see it in my portal.

Members don't see this ad :)
like do u see it on the portal? My interview was a while ago and I sent my thank you letter like a day later, but I don't see it in my portal.
I also emailed my thank you to the interviewer directly... I don't see it in the portal but honestly wouldn't be worried. BU cares more to see an update or letter of interest at this point. our interviewer already wrote their interview summary on us + can confirm they got a thank you if anyone ever asked (doubt they will)

Ooop i sent my thank you note directly to my interviewer not on the portal a while ago. I just saw there is a place for me to put it on the portal, should I add it now?
I sent a thank you note directly to my interviewer's email and he responded to it! you're fine and you don't have to worry about it :)

Same lol complete 9/14 OOS With no toes either
Foot Toes GIF by Trolli

no toesssssssssss

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Hit with the R. Complete 7/28. This one stung. Been working in healthcare for 3+ years serving BU's patient population, but guess that wasn't enough.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
anyone else who has interviewed getting nervous for december? i'm so anxious to hear back :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
anyone else who has interviewed getting nervous for december? i'm so anxious to hear back :eek:
This hits me in the feels. I had my interview this past week and will be in the second wave. I can barely contain myself and it's soooo far out. I LOVED the vibe of my interview student/dean panel.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! Still anxiously awaiting a response from this school as well as others... in your opinion, does it hurt to email BU to inquire about the status of my application?

Hey everyone! Still anxiously awaiting a response from this school as well as others... in your opinion, does it hurt to email BU to inquire about the status of my application?
I don't think they want to be contacted unless you have a major update to share :(

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This hits me in the feels. I had my interview this past week and will be in the second wave. I can barely contain myself and it's soooo far out. I LOVED the vibe of my interview student/dean panel.
i feel this! i really enjoyed my interview here

Got the pre-II R today :( I'd been considering sending an update letter the past couple weeks but I guess it wouldn't have mattered haha (or at least that's what I'll keep telling myself to keep my sanity)

Complete 8/1, MA resident, stats decently within range

• Care
Has anyone who interviewed in the first wave sent a letter of interest? I would want to send an update letter but I don't have anything to update in the month since my interview (but I did provide updates during the interview.) Unsure whether a letter of interest helps or hurts

Has anyone who interviewed in the first wave sent a letter of interest? I would want to send an update letter but I don't have anything to update in the month since my interview (but I did provide updates during the interview.) Unsure whether a letter of interest helps or hurts
I did an update letter and sprinkled in a bit of interest. I don’t think just an interest letter would hurt u though but u might wanna save it for if u get waitlisted.

Forgot to post, but II on 09/12! Complete 08/22. LizzyM ~68 with strong ties.

• Love
For pre-II update letters, who did y'all put under "assign a name" in the portal?

• Hmm
Would it be a bad idea to send an pre-II update letter? Applied in July so it has been quite a bit of time.

OOS II just now. Complete 8/4. This feels like a dream. Absolutely shocked and grateful.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Would it be a bad idea to send an pre-II update letter? Applied in July so it has been quite a bit of time.
Same here. I'm not sure who to put under "assign name" in the portal, and that's what has been holding me back from doing so

Same here. I'm not sure who to put under "assign name" in the portal, and that's what has been holding me back from doing so
I understood this as "assign a name for your update letter." I just wrote the title of my update letter, I doubt this is a huge deal.

Hey! So I interviewed in Sep. and I definitely want to send an update letter before the EXCOM meets for the first group of interviews. Our lab is just waiting to hear back from a journal about a recent paper- how long do you guys think I have until I absolutely need to send the letter for it to be included when they review my file? I got an email from them a couple of weeks ago asking for updates- I was figuring I have until mid next week?

Also, does anyone know if people get rejected this time around? Or does anyone who doesnt get the A get pushed to rereview in march?

Thanks!

Idk about the update stuff, but regarding your other question, the way I understood it was that those who interview in the first wave can have three possible outcomes: Acceptance, Rejection, or Hold (meaning that you will be rereviewed in March with the second wave of interviewees). So if you aren't accepted in December, you don't necessarily get rereviewed in March, but you could be if they place you on hold. I imagine it will be very clear in the email.

Idk about the update stuff, but regarding your other question, the way I understood it was that those who interview in the first wave can have three possible outcomes: Acceptance, Rejection, or Hold (meaning that you will be rereviewed in March with the second wave of interviewees). So if you aren't accepted in December, you don't necessarily get rereviewed in March, but you could be if they place you on hold. I imagine it will be very clear in the email.
Does anyone know if those interviewing in mid November make it to the first round, or likely will hear back in March?

Does anyone know if those interviewing in mid November make it to the first round, or likely will hear back in March?
Based on the info provided in their secondary portal, yes.

Last edited:
During my BU intro session with Dean Goodell in early November, she stated we would be in the March round of decisions but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

During my BU intro session with Dean Goodell in early November, she stated we would be in the March round of decisions but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My group (mid-Nov) was also told it'll be in March so I guess we got some time until then lmao

Pre-II R as well, Complete late September, LM 77, international applicant. Good luck to everyone else!

• Care
Do y'all think BU will start calling people to let them know they were accepted next week? based on previous years, I saw that they tend to make acceptance calls on or around Dec 10th

I’m sorry to hear that :(. Do you mind sharing whether something shows up in the portal when rejected?
Yeah my portal status was updated to: "Regretfully, we are unable to offer you an interview."

Do y'all think BU will start calling people to let them know they were accepted next week? based on previous years, I saw that they tend to make acceptance calls on or around Dec 10th
Hopefully!!

Interviewed Oct 1st and wondering if its too late / worth it to get an update letter from my work supervisor to send to BU. I have pretty significant new experiences but I did describe the position when I just started in my secondary.

Interviewed Oct 1st and wondering if its too late / worth it to get an update letter from my work supervisor to send to BU. I have pretty significant new experiences but I did describe the position when I just started in my secondary.
i mean if u plan on doing it sometime, it wouldn’t hurt to do it now i guess. Just think if another time works better, if there isn’t one just be confident and go for it! U got it!

Does anyone think it’s a silent hold or that some files just haven’t been reviewed if I haven’t heard since July? Dream school here :(.

Does anyone think it’s a silent hold or that some files just haven’t been reviewed if I haven’t heard since July? Dream school here :(.
There is no way to know, and it really doesn't matter. UCSF is still sending out secondaries, so it is entirely possible they are still reviewing applications. Even if it's a silent hold, given how many pre-II Rs they have issued, that would mean you are still in the game every bit as much as those who have not yet been reviewed.

It's undoubtedly unnerving, but a lot of people still haven't heard from a lot of schools, including me. Personally, I worry a lot more about silent Rs than silent Hs, and worry lot less about silent Rs at schools like BU that have been issuing wave after wave of very loud pre-II Rs.

Holds, whether or not silent, are the functional equivalent of not being reviewed at schools that have been liberally rejecting people, because both groups of applicants are not rejected and don't have IIs.

I think you're definitely still in the running and no news is good news at this point! I just got a pre-II R and I submitted my primary in October and secondary in November, so you've probably been reviewed if they're going in chronological order. I would say if they wanted to reject you they would've by now so that's at least a bit comforting, stay positive you got this! :)

• Care
Could this week be the week?!
hoping November interviewees have a chance of sneaking it into this admissions round, but probably wishful thinking haha

Could this week be the week?!
Literally getting nauseous every couple hours everytime I remember it could be soon😭 Praying for an answer this week or next

Past few years it's been the second week of December, anytime from Wednesday to Friday! So fingers crossed!
Because I'm psychotic:

MSAR (this year): Friday December 17
2020-2021: Friday December 11
2019-2020: Wednesday December 11
2018-2019: Monday January 7
2017-2018: Friday January 5
2016-2017: Friday January 6

I'm thinking late this week at the EARLIEST but I bet sometime next week

EDIT: for the past 2 years it's been about 2 weeks after thanksgiving. Basing it off that, maybe it will be this week so thats fun

Last edited: