2021-2022 UT Austin (Dell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dell Med does not use a written secondary application, but will screen applicants and offer those they are interested in an invitation to complete a video-response secondary.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Texas - Dell Medical School Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dell’s secondary is a video response and they take more time to invite than the other schools. They invite fewer than the other schools.
Ah, I wanted to ask here because someone on reddit stated they received one the afternoon they got the receipt email of transmission from Dell, and I thought WOW that was fast.

Just received this morning as well! Excited, but nervous since I’ve no idea what to expect for the video secondary?

Reactions: 2 users
Just received this morning as well! Excited, but nervous since I’ve no idea what to expect for the video secondary?
That's the point, @Azn2021, that's the point!
Be assured it's nothing you have to study for. Past interviewees have been asked to sign a nondisclosure agreement and not share the exact questions, and even if you did find out the questions from last year they will not be the same year to year.

They screen on stats as well right? I have a 3.5cgpa, 3.3sgpa, and 505 MCAT but have not received a secondary. My app was transmitted May 26th, I guess that means I was probably screened out right? I knew it was a long shot anyway but oh well. :cautious:

They screen on stats as well right? I have a 3.5cgpa, 3.3sgpa, and 505 MCAT but have not received a secondary. My app was transmitted May 26th, I guess that means I was probably screened out right? I knew it was a long shot anyway but oh well. :cautious:
They review apps over a period of several months and you could still get a secondary invitation later. While waiting I'm sure you have other ones to write!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
With covid am sure far more people send their apps earlier this year than usual and their screen will take longer, they don't screen for stats, they screen for mission fit. People with High stats that get love and attention from UTSW and Baylor have been snubbed by Dell because they do not fit Dell's mission etc.

• Care
For those who asked, I submitted on 5/17 and my app was transmitted 5/24. I am a high stats applicant, but I’ve heard numerous times that Dell doesn’t care about that and look for mission match more than anything (try listening to the TMDSAS Courage session with Dell if you want to hear more about that!) They also take a longer time to look at applications and won’t look until they are complete (MCAT and letters and all), and some people get secondaries later in the cycle from what I’ve heard!

Reactions: 4 users
Just finished the secondary, I’ll echo previous threads and say that it goes by fast and is more nerve wracking before you begin! They give you plenty of time for contemplation before answering in my opinion. Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rising MS3 - feel free to PM me with any questions you may have regarding Dell 😊

I consider Austin safe for a large city. I have felt safe at all my rotation sites. The good news is if you're doing overnight shifts, you get free parking in the garages connected to the hospitals instead of parking in the surface lots, which is nice. I might tell you something different if you planned to walk everywhere at night but that'd be pretty weird!

You can message me if you'd like more specific details about safety in ATX, I've been here for almost a decade now and feel pretty qualified to comment.

Has anyone received a secondary recently? My app was transmitted on 5/25, and I haven't received one.

The amount of spam calls I have been getting from Austin area codes is cruel... fingers crossed!

I was confused on that! The text says "Interviews BEGIN the last week of July".
When you say “text” are you referring to text messages? I know some schools are communicating with applicants this way. If so- how do you sign up to receive text messages from Dell?

When you say “text” are you referring to text messages? I know some schools are communicating with applicants this way. If so- how do you sign up to receive text messages from Dell?
The text as in the words typed on MSAR under "Interviews". Dell does not send text messages that I know of, but they do send out II via phone contact.

The text as in the words typed on MSAR under "Interviews". Dell does not send text messages that I know of, but they do send out II via phone contact.
Yeah I’m not too sure how accurate MSAR is for interview information it also says PLFSOM gives out II early July, but next week is going to be half way through July already & I haven’t heard of any II sent out yet… maybe MSAR is just estimates? Not sure :/

Yeah I’m not too sure how accurate MSAR is for interview information it also says PLFSOM gives out II early July, but next week is going to be half way through July already & I haven’t heard of any II sent out yet… maybe MSAR is just estimates? Not sure :/
MSAR is usually the best resource for things like this, but on occasion it can be outdated or not updated from the last cycle.
MSAR for the TMDSAS schools seems pretty accurate.

I can say that the only school in TX which has sent Interview Invitations so far is SHSU.
It's a long application/interview season, y'all, and requires a cool head.

Reactions: 4 users
Historically Dell doesn't start interviews until early August, with interview invites starting late July

Has anyone received a secondary recently? I saw people were receiving them early June but I didn't know if they were going out in waves. My app was transmitted 5/25 but my letters of rec did not get sent until 5/24. Just curious!!

Has anyone received a secondary recently? I saw people were receiving them early June but I didn't know if they were going out in waves. My app was transmitted 5/25 but my letters of rec did not get sent until 5/24. Just curious!!
I dont believe they are reading recs before issuing a secondary. Less than 50% get secondaries if I am not mistaken.

This is my alma mater and I've always been surprised Dell hasn't made plans to increase the medical program (currently 50 students) given its Mega Trustee and Donor bases (and the cities annual 35M donation to the school) not to mention what a large and successful institution UT is. Texas health needs UT to step it up and imo that includes increasing the medical enrollment to make a a truly meaningful impact in Texas in a shorter amount of time. It is strange timing though regarding the Dean and I am sure they are scrambling to start the replacement/ recruitment process. Wishing them the best of luck.

From your experience, what do you think means for Dell. I feel they have been making great strides as a school. Should we be more critical when considering for matriculation? Thanks
I think it will seem odd to those already there, because Dr. Johnston has been the main architect of the school culture since before it even opened.
However, changes in med school leadership are common and 6-7 years is a pretty typical length.
I don't know any details about the change, but you could follow ClayDellMed on Twitter if you are curious.

DellMed is a well-funded school in a popular city so I expect they will have many candidates in their Dean search.

I think it will seem odd to those already there, because Dr. Johnston has been the main architect of the school culture since before it even opened.
However, changes in med school leadership are common and 6-7 years is a pretty typical length.
I don't know any details about the change, but you could follow ClayDellMed on Twitter if you are curious.

DellMed is a well-funded school in a popular city so I expect they will have many candidates in their Dean search.
Either he is starting another school or going to a bigger program, planning to emulate Dell.

Dell is very unique in terms of being only one of less than 5 (10?) programs finishing class work in 1 year.

Only means that he wants a career change... and the school is well funded is on a prime spot to get a good new dean! that's all.

Has anyone gotten a secondary recently? Also when you get a secondary is there a due date for it?

I did receive a secondary from Dell last week

Received a call from Dell 7/20/21 to schedule my interview invite!! I'm a reapplicant who didn't even receive a secondary my first round so I am super excited and nervous!
I submitted my app on 5/13, transmitted 5/26, secondary received 5/28

Reactions: 6 users
Received a call from Dell 7/20/21 to schedule my interview invite!! I'm a reapplicant who didn't even receive a secondary my first round so I am super excited and nervous!
I submitted my app on 5/13, transmitted 5/26, secondary received 5/28
CONGRATS!! When is the interview for? Also is it in person? The website and email have conflicting statements.

Last edited:
Just got the secondary! IS, was verified June 4

In state secondary received! Verified June 15th and LORs submitted yesterday!