-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Drexel
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
in December?? Yes it's far too late, send in your app as early as possible next cycle for your best odds.Would you say its too late to send a primary to here? I think my experiences/interests match the school pretty well. OOS 515 3.8
D
deleted1092328
way too lateWould you say its too late to send a primary to here? I think my experiences/interests match the school pretty well. OOS 515 3.8
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any of you know what time of the day Decision usually comes out?
PrestigiousCelery11
Full Member
Isn't it crazy that our admissions decisions are sitting in an office somewhere...... what I would do to find out my fate rn.
Last edited:
Pre-II hold today, complete 8/29.
D
deleted1111654
in the great words of someone I read on a thread… “reject me you cowards”
VJNewtownB35777
Full Member
kinda random, but anyone have any concrete thoughts on why people sometimes hate on drexel med? is it bc the clinical years can be a bit up in the air?
I don't think people hate on it. Actually, it's the opposite. It's very popular and attracts a disproportionate number of applicants relative to its tier, because it is in a popular city and is considered attainable. The only real negative I know of is that it's expensive and not particularly generous with aid. That, and the clinicals have been a bit of a mess since it lost its teaching hospital to bankruptcy a few years ago, so people have to travel far and wide for rotations.kinda random, but anyone have any concrete thoughts on why people sometimes hate on drexel med? is it bc the clinical years can be a bit up in the air?
Other than that, it's a decent school in a great location that is in the process of building a beautiful new facility in an even better location.
Honestly, I think Drexel gets a bad rep because there are so many great medical schools in Philadelphia. If Drexel were the only school it’s area, I think it would have big appeal. But it inherently gets compared with all of the other Philly schools, which arguably have better rankings, better clinical sites, and better locations within the city. Penn, Jeff, Temple, and even PCOM are all great schools. So it’s just really stiff competition.kinda random, but anyone have any concrete thoughts on why people sometimes hate on drexel med? is it bc the clinical years can be a bit up in the air?
VJNewtownB35777
Full Member
gotcha, that makes sense, there definitely are a lot of great schools within really close proximity thereHonestly, I think Drexel gets a bad rep because there are so many great medical schools in Philadelphia. If Drexel were the only school it’s area, I think it would have big appeal. But it inherently gets compared with all of the other Philly schools, which arguably have better rankings, better clinical sites, and better locations within the city. Penn, Jeff, Temple, and even PCOM are all great schools. So it’s just really stiff competition.
VJNewtownB35777
Full Member
word, hopefully the edition of the new facility will help with the whole clinical situation. Drexel is definitely located in a cool area too and seems to have great positives as well thoughI don't think people hate on it. Actually, it's the opposite. It's very popular and attracts a disproportionate number of applicants relative to its tier, because it is in a popular city and is considered attainable. The only real negative I know of is that it's expensive and not particularly generous with aid. That, and the clinicals have been a bit of a mess since it lost its teaching hospital to bankruptcy a few years ago, so people have to travel far and wide for rotations.
Other than that, it's a decent school in a great location that is in the process of building a beautiful new facility in an even better location.
I think once the new campus opens in West Philly next to the undergrad campus that will majorly boost it's appeal.word, hopefully the edition of the new facility will help with the whole clinical situation. Drexel is definitely located in a cool area too and seems to have great positives as well though
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there is going to be a new West Reading campus, but I don't think it's next to the undergrad campus?I think once the new campus opens in West Philly next to the undergrad campus that will majorly boost it's appeal.
ThePremedGuy
Full Member
Anyone think that ppl who interviewed in early November will hear back this Friday? 🤔
My understanding is that it's going to be a new academic building. As lovely as I'm sure it will be, and as good as its location will be on the main campus, it will do nothing for clinical rotations, since it will not include hospital beds.word, hopefully the edition of the new facility will help with the whole clinical situation. Drexel is definitely located in a cool area too and seems to have great positives as well though
Not a new campus, but a new academic building that will move M1s and M2s from the Queen Lane campus in the East Falls section of Philly to University City, which is where the main campus is located, right next to Penn's campus (hence the name "University City"!). Totally separate from West Reading.I know there is going to be a new West Reading campus, but I don't think it's next to the undergrad campus?
W
Welp, I'll take any med school that will accept me 😂😂😂Not a new campus, but a new academic building that will move M1s and M2s from the Queen Lane campus in the East Falls section of Philly to University City, which is where the main campus is located, right next to Penn's campus (hence the name "University City"!).
With over 13,000 applicants, which is FAR more than any other school in Philly, is it really fair to suggest that its appeal needs major boosting? Or that there is really any place for it go, other than maybe down? 🙂I think once the new campus opens in West Philly next to the undergrad campus that will majorly boost it's appeal.
I didn't say it before, but I really think the knocks on Drexel come from those who don't quite understand what a low yield school is, and are disappointed when they don't have an opportunity to attend. Even though it is certainly not the highest ranked school in Philly, the application numbers suggest it is already the most popular, in spite of its less than ideal location in Philly, the West Reading satellite, the clinical rotation situation, cost, etc.
Last edited:
PrestigiousCelery11
Full Member
I hope so, I can not imagine waiting another month to find out my fate.Anyone think that ppl who interviewed in early November will hear back this Friday? 🤔
Over 18,000 applications, actually! Both last cycle and projected for this cycle. I'm not not knocking Drexel. I personally interviewed here and would be delighted to have the opportunity to attend. I was merely offering a potential explanation for the other poster's question about why Drexel seems to have a negative reputation:With over 13,000 applicants, which is FAR more than any other school in Philly, is it really fair to suggest that its appeal needs major boosting? Or that there is really any place for it go, other than maybe down? 🙂
I didn't say it before, but I really think the knocks on Drexel come from those who don't quite understand what a low yield school is, and are disappointed when they don't have an opportunity to attend. Even though it is certainly not the highest ranked school in Philly, the application numbers suggest it is already the most popular, in spite of its less than ideal location in Philly, the West Reading satellite, the clinical rotation situation, cost, etc.
Given that many people who want to live in Philadelphia because they like the vibe of the city, I do believe that moving the preclinical-years from East Falls to West Philadelphia will indeed boost Drexel's appeal. Did I say it "needs" boosting? No. I merely said it will be boosted. Consider it an added bonus.anyone have any concrete thoughts on why people sometimes hate on drexel med?
One merely has to mosey over to the Help Me Decide School X vs Y threads to see that students comparing Drexel vs. Temple or Drexel vs. Jefferson will often list the East Falls location as a con compared to those schools that have more centrally-located campuses. The only other Philly med school that is similarly peripheral is PCOM, and then the Drexel vs. PCOM comparison often becomes more about MD vs. DO.
Also, I think it's worth mentioning that Drexel's "popularity" as the Philly school with the highest number applications is probably related to the fact that it has the lowest average stats of any Philly school. This, by percentile definitions, makes it an appropriate target school for a larger number of applicants.
Oh, man, today I responded to KnightDoc with my own dissertation-length post. This feels like an SDN rite of passage! Huzzah! Have a good day, sir! 😎
Last edited:
violingirl2
Full Member
I'm interviewing tomorrow and don't have the zoom link in my portal- for those who have already interviewed, is it only available morning of? Like the space for the zoom link is there but empty on the "interview day agenda" page
lucifermorningstar
Full Member
got an II here today!! OOS, LM 70. Scheduled for mid-January. Pleasant surprise when I opened my email 🙂
Yes! I freaked out about this, and it only appeared a few minutes before my scheduled interview start time!I'm interviewing tomorrow and don't have the zoom link in my portal- for those who have already interviewed, is it only available morning of? Like the space for the zoom link is there but empty on the "interview day agenda" page
hopefuldoctor26
Full Member
If I interviewed November 8 is there a realistic chance I will receive a decision on Friday?
i'm wondering the same as someone who interviewed a week later!If I interviewed November 8 is there a realistic chance I will receive a decision on Friday?
brainperson1
Full Member
Also interviewed nov 8, wondering the same. They seemed to say it would more likely take a month or two, right?i'm wondering the same as someone who interviewed a week later!
yeah, if i remember correctly they told us it would take 6-8 weeks, but potentially 8-10 weeks because of the holidayAlso interviewed nov 8, wondering the same. They seemed to say it would more likely take a month or two, right?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the last decision date accounted for up until the middle of October interviews. So I'm guessing late October and early November would hear during this release.yeah, if i remember correctly they told us it would take 6-8 weeks, but potentially 8-10 weeks because of the holiday
wanttobeamd22
Full Member
You're right. Late October hasn't heard back yet, at least I haven't heard anything and i interviewed 10/20. Let's hope for the best🙂I think the last decision date accounted for up until the middle of October interviews. So I'm guessing late October and early November would hear during this release.
hopefuldoctor26
Full Member
Do you consider November 8 early November? 😅I think the last decision date accounted for up until the middle of October interviews. So I'm guessing late October and early November would hear during this release.
I feel like November is perfectly subdivided since it has 30 days lolDo you consider November 8 early November? 😅
Early: 1-10
Mid: 11-20
Late: 21-30
hopefuldoctor26
Full Member
Release date changed to December 20 via the portal
bruh WHY noooooRelease date changed to December 20 via the portal
Interviewed around the same time too. They had mentioned in my session that we won't hear back until January/February. It seemed liked they leaned more towards feb thorealistically, do y'all think those who interview in mid-nov will hear back this month?
Received an II today. OOS applicant, complete 7/22. Didn't actually think I would get an interview here
VJNewtownB35777
Full Member
oh gotcha, my b lol, thought it was some kind of hospital extension or something lolzMy understanding is that it's going to be a new academic building. As lovely as I'm sure it will be, and as good as its location will be on the main campus, it will do nothing for clinical rotations, since it will not include hospital beds.
brainperson1
Full Member
Any idea what time the last release was?
It seems like it was around 11 am, however, the date got switched to 12/20Any idea what time the last release was?
PrestigiousCelery11
Full Member
why they do dis to us 🙁
had my interview on 12/2 and I'm kinda hoping with the delay I'll get wrapped up into this round of decisions instead of waiting until late January/February lolwhy they do dis to us 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ONE MORE DAY EVERYONE WOOHOOO. Good luck to you all!
hopefuldoctor26
Full Member
Do decisions come out around 11 am or 5 pm? I’ve seen both times talked about on this thread
Just received a pre-II hold. Complete 9/12 OOS
anyone else still waiting on a II?
All of us that haven’t gotten one yet 😂anyone else still waiting on a II?