2021-2022 Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning! IS

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got placed on hold sadly. Fourth one of the cycle. It’s getting kind of depressing at this point lol. Is a hold here basically a R?
For what it's worth, I have personal experience with this (and others have reiterated this answer earlier in the thread). I'm a re-applicant to Drexel and my first app (complete early-August) resulted in a hold (mid-September), after which I received no further information until the formal rejection many months later. These holds really seem like soft rejections in almost every case.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Open house emails never fail to give me a heart attack

Reactions: 6 users
Got this garbage thinking it was a R or hold:
Virtual Open House Fall Series: Drexel University College of Medicine

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still no word. Complete very early

Reactions: 1 user
1. If you are a recent graduate, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation. If you have not yet graduated, please discuss your current activities and engagements. We understand that it may have been difficult to obtain clinical or volunteer service experiences during the pandemic; therefore, be sure to discuss any traditional and /or nontraditional clinical exposures and volunteering experiences that you have done during this time. (No Limit)

For this secondary question, are you supposed to talk about COVID-19 and how you found volunteering / clinical experiences during the pandemic? Or are you supposed to talk about activities ongoing right now?

I'm confused because the second essay also asks about COVID.

II just now! So excited, first one of the cycle :) LizzyM 70. Complete 7/23.

Edit: Sorry, I don't know my months

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 17 users
So I didnt get this open house email and looking on my portal, it doesnt appear under "communication status" either. I havent heard from the school since I was complete late july

So I didnt get this open house email and looking on my portal, it doesnt appear under "communication status" either. I havent heard from the school since I was complete late july

They don't seem to send them out in any discernible pattern -- I received a previous open house email from Drexel but didn't get this one. I wouldn't read into it

got put on hold today - complete 7/30. good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
This whole process is a crap shot with very little transparency..

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
This whole process is a crap shot with very little transparency..
And does it even achieve its goal? The US continues to face a physician shortage and has some of the worst health outcomes of the developed world.

Applicants suffer, and patients suffer as a result. Who’s the winner here?

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
And does it even achieve its goal? The US continues to face a physician shortage and has some of the worst health outcomes of the developed world.

We have transitioned from who can be a great doctor ( a lot of people) to who can be a unique doctor. I am all for unique and excellent applicants and prospective physicians getting the bread first, but it blows my mind how I, as well as many others, have done soooo much to prove we are worthy of a spot with little to no directed attention. I apologize I'm average.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
We have transitioned from who can be a great doctor ( a lot of people) to who can be a unique doctor. I am all for unique and excellent applicants and prospective physicians getting the bread first, but it blows my mind how I, as well as many others, have done soooo much to prove we are worthy of a spot with little to no directed attention. I apologize I'm average.
You hit the nail right on the head. The reality is that that the medical school admissions process is partially so competitive is because of the very people who run it, in order to keep physicians as the exorbant earners. The same people who decide medical school class sizes are also the people with vested interests in keeping residency spots so limited so their own profession has high demand with high pay.

• Care

The real winners in this devastating process are those who collect hundreds of thousands of dollars from students who worked extremely hard to apply to medical school and then are deemed “not good enough”. News flash- I believe everyone who has reached this point is capable of becoming the best physicians out there.. These schools just fail to see that.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Yall really making this argument for a private MD school with one of the largest class sizes in the country? How big should this school get to accommodate its 12,000 applicants? Double its class size? Quadruple it, and still have below a 10% admit rate? I dunno about you, but I don't want a free-for-all deathmatch to see who graduates akin to Carib MD programs with 1000 students per class. Expanding or creating medical school programs and residency slots cannot outpace the increasing competition, like it or not. Besides, the primary need is for primary care - how many of you are aiming for primary care? How about rural medicine, or working in a second or third-rate city that desperately needs doctors? How many of you have applied to zero DO schools? Arguably, the rapid expansion of rural and primary care focused DO programs is the correct response to American physician shortages, and if that's slice of pie you get offered but you turn it down, then maybe you don't deserve the bigger piece.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Yall really making this argument for a private MD school with one of the largest class sizes in the country? How big should this school get to accommodate its 12,000 applicants? Double its class size? Quadruple it, and still have below a 10% admit rate? I dunno about you, but I don't want a free-for-all deathmatch to see who graduates akin to Carib MD programs with 1000 students per class. Expanding or creating medical school programs and residency slots cannot outpace the increasing competition, like it or not. Besides, the primary need is for primary care - how many of you are aiming for primary care? How about rural medicine, or working in a second or third-rate city that desperately needs doctors? How many of you have applied to zero DO schools? Arguably, the rapid expansion of rural and primary care focused DO programs is the correct response to American physician shortages, and if that's slice of pie you get offered but you turn it down, then maybe you don't deserve the bigger piece.
The argument is not about turning down an acceptance. The argument is about the insane number of hoops the field makes you jump through to get there, all with the purpose of keeping physician salaries high. Profit driven model go brr.

Expanding residency slots is common sense at this point.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
The argument is not about turning down an acceptance. The argument is about the insane number of hoops the field makes you jump through to get there, all with the purpose of keeping physician salaries high.

Expanding residency slots is common sense at this point.
And when those expanded slots are almost entirely primary care, and largely go to more Carib grads, do you think that applicants will be satisfied? I don't think so, given how many people don't even fill out AACOMAS. What hoops do you mean, having a life outside of school and understanding what you're getting into? Or do you mean taking science courses so that colleges can see you handle a scientific course load? A standardized test that cannot be frauded and bought through like every other step? This issue frustrates me, because rather than addressing problems in applicants, all blame is shifted to the system - a system that is desperately trying to repair inequities in health care access while doctors continue to live and practice in coastal California.
You sound privileged my friend. Take that privilege and that arrogance of yours somewhere else. Ain’t nobody got time for you to tell us what we deserve.
I enlisted to pay for my undergrad, and I'll sell a decade more of my life to the Army to pay for medical school, too. It's not privilege, it's frustration with people who say a lot of crap and do nothing that meaningfully improves the system. You want to improve American health care outcomes? Go DO, go practice FM in the boonies.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
And when those expanded slots are almost entirely primary care, and largely go to more Carib grads, do you think that applicants will be satisfied? I don't think so, given how many people don't even fill out AACOMAS. What hoops do you mean, having a life outside of school and understanding what you're getting into? Or do you mean taking science courses so that colleges can see you handle a scientific course load? A standardized test that cannot be frauded and bought through like every other step? This issue frustrates me, because rather than addressing problems in applicants, all blame is shifted to the system - a system that is desperately trying to repair inequities in health care access while doctors continue to live and practice in coastal California.

I enlisted to pay for my undergrad, and I'll sell a decade more of my life to the Army to pay for medical school, too. It's not privilege, it's frustration with people who say a lot of crap and do nothing that meaningfully improves the system. You want to improve American health care outcomes? Go DO, go practice FM in the boonies.
Learn to structure your arguments better. Ranting is not going to help your cause.

The hoops exist in the form of “weed outs”. Making students take exams that judge their personality on a numerical scale or contain 7 hours of content unrelated to the actual practice of medicine. Utilizing shadowing requirements that depend largely on family connections. These exist to weed people out of the process for, once again, the sole purpose of keeping physician salaries high.

The advice of “go DO and practice rural” is individual advice that does not address the issue of a flawed, ineffective system.

EDIT: No, this process is not fair. No, it’s not working. But I don’t want to fill the Drexel thread with this discussion, as applicants use these pages as a source of information. I hope we can all reflect on the inequities and flaws that exist in the medical school admissions process and advocate for improvement.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Learn to structure your arguments better. Ranting is not going to help your cause.

The hoops exist in the form of “weed outs”. Making students take exams that judge their personality on a numerical scale or contain 7 hours of content unrelated to the actual practice of medicine. Utilizing shadowing requirements that depend largely on family connections. These exist to weed people out of the process for, once again, the sole purpose of keeping physician salaries high.

The advice of “go DO and practice rural” is individual advice that does not address the issue of a flawed, ineffective system.
Extremely well said!

Wooh! This thread got interesting. Thought provoking and making us think about our paths. But I think that’s good; if one still pursues medicine even after seeing the mountain they have to climb, typically that’s a good sign

Anyone marked complete on 7/4 and still haven't heard back yet?

Anyone marked complete on 7/4 and still haven't heard back yet?
Complete a couple of days before that and haven't heard back yet. Keep in mind there's thousands of applications to go through, they typically do not go in chronological order of when we submitted, and there can be multiple reviewers pre-II (and these are some busy busy physicians). They'll get to us eventually :)

Has anyone had their interview yet? Mine is a week from tomorrow (9/22) and was wondering if anyone had any information / thoughts on it.

Does anyone want to start an argument with me? Looks like thats how we manifest an interview at Drexel
Clearly you're trying to make correlation into causation. The other applicant in question was likely getting an interview invite today regardless of their posts yesterday. In this essay I will....

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Of course, this candidate is a quality applicant and earned their interview with merit. But I feel like your comment is hostile...are you trying to argue with me? I think you are
I'm offended that you would assume I am trying to argue, and even more offended that you thought I was being hostile. As a physician you'll need to learn to empathize with your patients and realize how their tone of voice reflects their true emotions smh

• Haha
Drexel just posted a registration link to some open houses on the DUCOM Linkedin page if anyone is interested.