2021-2022 Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rush is undoubtedly the better choice for an OOS applicant (and maybe even an IS applicant), especially if placed at Peoria or Rockford.

And your tuition comparison is very wrong. UICOM has Summer tuition as well, which you did not include in your totals. Based on the links you provided:

UICOM OOS Tuition:
M1: 78,236 (Fall/Spring) + 34,061 (Summer) = 112,297
M2: 112,942 (Fall/Spring/Summer)
M3: 114,242 (Fall/Spring/Summer)
M4: 78,236 (Fall/Spring) (No Summer Term)
Total at UICOM: $417,717

Rush Tuition:
M1: 57,241 (Fall/Spring/Summer) + 28,671 (Enrollment Fee) = 85,912
M2: 73,152 (Fall/Spring/Summer) + 38,229 (Enrollment Fee) = 111,381
M3: 54,864 (Fall/Spring/Summer) + 28,671 (Enrollment Fee) = 83,535
M4: 36,567 (Fall/Spring) (No Summer Term) + 19,114 (Enrollment Fee) = 55,681
Total at Rush: $336,509

So about ~81k cheaper to attend Rush.

To address #3, living in Rockford and Peoria sucks compared to Chicago (source: I've lived in many parts of IL). Living in Chicago is a bit more expensive, but the medical district where both UICOM and Rush are is not terribly expensive at all. Can definetely find decent 1 bed/1 bath apartments for $1,000-$1,500. If you want cheaper, can find roommates and pay like $600-$900 a month.

To address #4, US news rankings don't mean anything when schools are 10 ranks apart lol. A more accurate (but still flawed ranking) is the PD ranking. And Rush and UICOM have the exact same PD ranking at #56.

Knowing people who go to both Rush and UICOM (Chicago, Rockford, and Peoria), those at Rush feel more supported by faculty and admin. UICOM, like many state schools, kind of leave students to fend for themselves. Research at the UICOM Chicago campus may be slightly better than Rush I guess? But Rush still has good research opportunities. Also, the schools are right next to each other, and you can do research at either school no matter which you choose.

Rush is the easy choice here for an OOS applicant.
Please give us the link for where you get the tuition numbers.

My link included both Fall/Spring ($52,358) and summer ($26,179) which adds up to $78,537
You are adding 34,061 extra without providing source.

I never talked about quality of living in those cities. It's all about the dollar amount here as OP was concerned with the finances.

68-55=13. 13 is more than 10 professor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please give us the link for where you get the tuition numbers.

My link included both Fall/Spring ($52,358) and summer ($26,179) which adds up to $78,537
You are adding 34,061 extra without providing source.

I never talked about quality of living in those cities. It's all about the dollar amount here as OP was concerned with the finances.

68-55=13. 13 is more than 10 professor.
I literally used both links you used lol. You just did not compare Rush and UICOM correctly. The Rush link you provided is taking into account total cost of attendance (room & board fees, loan fees, books, health insurance, etc). Whereas you are only looking at Tuition and TUITION FEES on the UICOM link. You either need to compare total cost of attendance for both schools or ONLY tuition.

I also just double-checked on MSAR and total COA on average for Rush is $84,505/year, with tuition at $58,958/year. Total COA on average for UICOM OOS matriculant is $113,8990/year, with tuition at $84,835/year.

And do you even know how they calculate US news rankings? If not, here is a write-up (with some questionable takes) discussing how useless the rankings are.

1649460797827.png

Last edited:
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 1 users
Alright. Let's take a look:

1) Rush is a private institution. Therefore, it does no discriminate between IS and OOS. So there is no such a thing as "out of state tuition" at Rush.

2) Tuition and fees combined at UICOM are $25,953 cheaper than Rush.

Rush:
M1 (Tuition + Fee): 58,958 + 29,531 = 88,516
M2 (Tuition + Fee): 75,347 + 30,376 = 105,723
M3 (Tuition + Fee): 56,511 + 29,532 = 86,043
M4 (Tuition + Fee): 37,674 + 19,688 = 57,362
Total at Rush: $337,644

UICOM at Chicago (Peoria and Rockford are cheaper than Chicago) => Calculated for OOS:
M1 (Tuition + Fee): 78,537 + 6,298 = 84,835
M2 (Tuition + Fee): 78,537 + 6,298 = 84,835
M3 (Tuition + Fee): 78,537 + 6,298 = 84,835
M4 (Tuition + Fee): 52,358 + 4,828 = 57,186
Total at UICOM: $311,691

Sources:
A) 2020-2021 Tuition Rates | Tuition | Rush University
B) https://medicine.uic.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/2122_11term_Chicago.pdf

3) Not living in Chicago means you will be saving even more money due to cost of living (housing/food/transportation).

4) Rush is ranked #68 according to US News while UICOM is ranked #55.

5) Can't believe someone just compared UICOM with Rush ...
I want to know what caused you to say a statement such as “Can’t believe someone just compared UICOM with Rush”.
You are worried so much about rankings, but for all intents and purposes being ranked 13 places apart is not that big of a difference. We’re not comparing University of Chicago or Northwestern with UICOM or Rush here, where I think that would be a more valid point.
For anyone here, please do not choose your school based on ranking. This is my personal advice but also the advice of friends who have gone to medical school and matched into desired/competitive specialties.
Finances are a huge deal. There is a reason UICOM interviews and accepts a lot of OOS students which transitions to a low yield (people who ultimately attend). The cost is absurd (400k) before hidden costs…
Worry about finances, location, match rates, student happiness and support.
Ultimately, choose a school for what you want in it, throw my advice away if it matters.
By the way, in the student panel, UICOM and Rush students seemed happy with the school. I would like to add that UICOM students did say one negative thing about the school, the lack of communication between students and staff (someone please fact check this with your own anecdotes). No one at Rush said something like this.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are a total genius. That is cost of attendance. I'm comparing school fee not living expenses. Go take some algebra plz LOL
You are comparing UICOM total cost of attendance with Rush tuition and fees only. You see how bias looks like? But you proved one point, if UICOM really admitted you, I am disappointed in UICOM.
Can't tell if you are trolling at this point. But if you are comparing tuition only, Rush is $58,958/year. UICOM is $84,835/year for OOS. Go double check on MSAR if you don't believe me. Not sure what algebra skills you are using to do basic reading and arithmetic.

Edit: I also have no skin in the game here. I am going to a different school. I'm just an IL resident who knows many students at both UICOM and Rush.

Last edited:
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 2 users
You are a total genius. That is cost of attendance. I'm comparing school fee not living expenses. Go take some algebra plz LOL
You are comparing UICOM total cost of attendance with Rush tuition and fees only. You see how bias looks like?
Can't tell if you are trolling at this point. But if you are comparing tuition only, Rush is $58,958/year. UICOM is $84,835/year for OOS. Go double check on MSAR if you don't believe me. Not sure what algebra skills you are using to do basic reading and arithmetic.

Edit: I also have no skin in the game here. I am going to a private medical school in the Northeast. I'm just an IL resident who knows many students at both UICOM and Rush.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
you are the troll. Just accept your mistake and don't mislead everyone here.
You do understand that the enrollment fee you circled in the Rush photo is including room/board, loan fees, books, health insurance, etc? And then you are not adding that in for your UICOM picture. You are just looking at tuition and the "tuition's fees" ALONE. Please stop making the same wrong argument and move on.

You do understand that the enrollment fee you circled in the Rush photo is including room/board, loan fees, books, health insurance, etc? And then you are not adding that in for your UICOM picture. You are just looking at tuition and the "tuition's fees" ALONE. Please stop making the same wrong argument and move on.
Enrollment fee is mandatory and does not include room/board. Feel free to email them and ask. Or just do a google search. Good luck to you.

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Enrollment fee is mandatory and does not include room/board. Feel free to email them and ask. Or just do a google search. Good luck to you.
It's like talking to a wall at this point. Please stop misleading people into thinking OOS UICOM COA is cheaper than Rush COA. Purchase an MSAR subscription if you would like to cross-check your wrong interpretation of tuition, fees, and total COA.

My apologies did not mean to insight world war 3. I was just sharing my withdrawal in the hopes it would help someone on waitlist and brighten their day. I thought UICOM was a great program just couldn’t afford it as an out of state student and will most likely be right across the street within my budget.

Reactions: 8 users
Rush is undoubtedly the better choice for an OOS applicant, especially if placed at Peoria or Rockford.

And your tuition comparison is very wrong. UICOM has Summer tuition as well, which you did not include in your totals. Based on the links you provided:

UICOM OOS Total COA:
M1: 78,236 (Fall/Spring) + 34,061 (Summer) = 112,297
M2: 112,942 (Fall/Spring/Summer)
M3: 114,242 (Fall/Spring/Summer)
M4: 78,236 (Fall/Spring) (No Summer Term)
Total at UICOM: $417,717

Rush Total COA:
M1: 57,241 (Fall/Spring/Summer) + 28,671 (Enrollment Fee) = 85,912
M2: 73,152 (Fall/Spring/Summer) + 38,229 (Enrollment Fee) = 111,381
M3: 54,864 (Fall/Spring/Summer) + 28,671 (Enrollment Fee) = 83,535
M4: 36,567 (Fall/Spring) (No Summer Term) + 19,114 (Enrollment Fee) = 55,681
Total at Rush: $336,509

So about ~81k cheaper to attend Rush.

To address #3, living in Rockford and Peoria sucks compared to Chicago (source: I've lived in many parts of IL). Living in Chicago is a bit more expensive, but the medical district where both UICOM and Rush are is not terribly expensive at all. Can definetely find decent 1 bed/1 bath apartments for $1,000-$1,500. If you want cheaper, can find roommates and pay like $600-$900 a month.

To address #4, US news rankings don't mean anything when schools are 10 ranks apart lol. A more accurate (but still flawed ranking) is the PD ranking. And Rush and UICOM have the exact same PD ranking at #56.

Knowing people who go to both Rush and UICOM (Chicago, Rockford, and Peoria), those at Rush feel more supported by faculty and admin. UICOM, like many state schools, kind of leave students to fend for themselves. Research at the UICOM Chicago campus may be slightly better than Rush I guess? But Rush still has good research opportunities. Also, the schools are right next to each other, and you can do research at either school no matter which you choose.

Rush is the easy choice here for an OOS applicant.
That's an amazing analysis. How would you compare UICOM(in state, Chicago campus) vs Loyola(5k scholarship).

That's an amazing analysis. How would you compare UICOM(in state, Chicago campus) vs Loyola(5k scholarship).
That's a tough one. How much is the total COA for Loyola vs UICOM for you? If its like within 10k a year, id personally go Loyola, as I've heard good things about the community/admin there. But honestly both are good schools. Maywood isn't the best area, but the school is kind of in a world of its own over there. UICOM medical district is a decent area, better than maywood. Honestly personal preference here

Last edited:
That's a tough one. How much is the total COA for Loyola vs UICOM for you? If its like within 10k a year, id personally go Loyola, as I've heard good things about the community/admin there. But honestly both are good schools. Maywood isn't the best area, but the school is kind of in a world of its own over there. UICOM medical district is a decent area, better than maywood. Honestly personal preference here
The tuition difference is around 13k per year. I know it's tough and that's why I'm very conflicted. Personally, I really like what I see at Loyola but I find it very hard justifying me paying the extra 52k for four years.

Members don't see this ad :)
The tuition difference is around 13k per year. I know it's tough and that's why I'm very conflicted. Personally, I really like what I see at Loyola but I find it very hard justifying me paying the extra 52k for four years.
It looks like Loyola has nearly it's own whole medical district lmao, so much parking available too

While there's not quite as much density in housing availability, it looks like housing around Loyola will also be ~200/mth cheaper in apartments? Just based off a 3 minute apartments search so don't take my word for it. May wish to include that in your calculations though. Not sure what grocery/utility/other CoL stuff is like in that area, though, or what your housing situation is. I'm also not from the area so take my opinions with a fair amount of salt.

It looks like Loyola has nearly it's own whole medical district lmao, so much parking available too

While there's not quite as much density in housing availability, it looks like housing around Loyola will also be ~200/mth cheaper in apartments? Just based off a 3 minute apartments search so don't take my word for it. May wish to include that in your calculations though. Not sure what grocery/utility/other CoL stuff is like in that area, though, or what your housing situation is. I'm also not from the area so take my opinions with a fair amount of salt.
I am not going to calculate the diff in this way because I'm living with my wife and her work is downtown. So regardless of where I go, I'm staying around downtown area.

Reactions: 1 user
Loyola isn't really in Maywood. It sits on a 100+ acre VA campus (we bought 50 acres from them back in the day). Most students live 5/10 mins away in forest park and oak park which is fantastic.

Hi, there looks to be some confusion about the tuition of UIC vs Rush.

UICOM = ~190,000 (IS) ~311,000 (OS)
Rush = ~ 230,000

The enrollment fee on Rush's website is only charged to you if you REPEAT a year. I believe they charge this instead of charging full tuition.

^ the link to the FA presentation

attached are some screenshots from this presentation and their websites as proof.

I'm not sure if the people above came to a conclusion, but their thread is hard to follow so I wanted to make a post that was easy to read in case anybody got confused or overwhelmed. Also, I didn't include the cost of living cause that depends on how you personally live (roommates, are frugal, etc.)

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 72
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 69
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 77
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 75
Hi, there looks to be some confusion about the tuition of UIC vs Rush.

UICOM = ~190,000 (IS) ~311,000 (OS)
Rush = ~ 230,000

The enrollment fee on Rush's website is only charged to you if you REPEAT a year. I believe they charge this instead of charging full tuition.

^ the link to the FA presentation

attached are some screenshots from this presentation and their websites as proof.

I'm not sure if the people above came to a conclusion, but their thread is hard to follow so I wanted to make a post that was easy to read in case anybody got confused or overwhelmed. Also, I didn't include the cost of living cause that depends on how you personally live (roommates, are frugal, etc.)
Also, this is tuition for all 4 years bc Rush has a different tuition for every year so I think its easier to compare totals

Is there any way for OS students to receive IS tuition? Ex: being married?

Is there any way for OS students to receive IS tuition? Ex: being married?
Yes, the full rules are outlines here: Residency Status Requirements - UAPS

One of them is:
C. Married Students. Unless otherwise stated in these rules, a person will be classified as a resident if their spouse has been domiciled in Illinois for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes for the term for which residency is sought. (...)

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but in practice even attending a medical school in IL will mean that state residency will not be established after a year as normal. UIC has this in their FAQ:
I’m not an Illinois resident. How can I become a resident for tuition purposes?
If you’re a dependent, your family must live in or move to Illinois. The in-state tuition rate would begin at the start of the next term. If you’re not a dependent, you must live in Illinois for 1 full year for non-educational purposes. This means that you can’t attend school during the year you’re establishing residency.
However, there may be some loophole to prove it's not just "educational purposes only" - I know other states have such provisions.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Anyone know if they give merit based scholarships to in-state students? Someone told me that they don't and I just wanted to confirm if that was true.

Anyone know if they give merit based scholarships to in-state students? Someone told me that they don't and I just wanted to confirm if that was true.

I’m IS and received merit scholarship via email at the end of March.

I just withdrew my A, I hope my spot goes to one of you!

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
So, if you're considering UIC, Rush and Loyola, here is a bit more to consider.(Other than the money).... From their own matchlists. Percentages excepted to highest competitive specialty's UIC 14%, Loyola 10 % and Rush 6.5 %.... 2022 data( Derm, Ortho, Optho, ENT, Plastics, Thoracic, Vascular) Of course, if those aren't your bag no reason to consider this information. Just for reference 2022 data Northwestern 21%

I was just curious about why you withdrew (if you are ok with explaining).
I withdrew earlier this week as well. UIC was my top choice (the Chicago campus), but I got assigned to Rockford. I am interested in a handful of specialties that students do not match into on the Rockford campus, and to be honest, as a URM, Rockford's campus was not gonna fly lol. It's a decently diverse city yes, but through speaking with program alum, it's evidently not the best choice for me

• Dislike
  • Care
I withdrew earlier this week as well. UIC was my top choice (the Chicago campus), but I got assigned to Rockford. I am interested in a handful of specialties that students do not match into on the Rockford campus, and to be honest, as a URM, Rockford's campus was not gonna fly lol. It's a decently diverse city yes, but through speaking with program alum, it's evidently not the best choice for me
Awesome, thanks for the reply. Best of luck with your institution of interest!

• Dislike
can you clarify the bolded a little bit?

Edit: obviously you can match into most any specialty from Rockford/Peoria, more what I'm wondering about is what did you hear about the lack of resources that led to this statement? There are some more obvious ones but if you've heard something special beyond those I'd love to hear them!

Last edited:
If we received a "UIC Financial Aid Notification" email, is that our solidified financial aid package? I also received a UIC Financial Aid Notification revision email. Or is there any hope in holding out for scholarships still?

I withdrew my A a few days ago, I hope one of you great-future-doctors get in!

• Dislike
Has anyone been emailed/found a calendar for this fall 2022? I could only find last year's M1 calendar. Or do current M1s know if orientation is always the first Monday of August? Thanks!

If we received a "UIC Financial Aid Notification" email, is that our solidified financial aid package? I also received a UIC Financial Aid Notification revision email. Or is there any hope in holding out for scholarships still?
Someone before mentioned that it’s not final.

However, based on what Dr Amiri said yesterday during in person visit, scholarships are still being assigned. The assignment is tied to admission committee meetings (next one on 4/21). The process goes slower than expected as they changed how scholarships are assigned to more mission oriented approach.

Has anyone been emailed/found a calendar for this fall 2022? I could only find last year's M1 calendar. Or do current M1s know if orientation is always the first Monday of August? Thanks!

As marked there these dates are expected to stay this way but are not set in stone (“*All dates subject to change. As of 3/11/2022”).
It seems like the orientation (which btw is planned to be in person unless something really serious happens) is set for the 2nd week of August.

• Dislike
I was just curious about why you withdrew (if you are ok with explaining).
No problem! I got into my first choice school and they offered me a full tuition scholarship (I really think I'm in an alternate universe because I wasn't expecting that at all). Other factors that made UIC second for me are that I was not placed at the Chicago campus (I got my second choice) and I was waitlisted for UMED. The goals I have for my future felt more attainable if I was placed at the Chicago campus.

UIC was a strong second for me. I really liked the program and I think I would have been happy there, but my first choice just felt like it was where I was meant to be.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Do they only interview for co-curricular programs in April? What if you get an accepatnce later but you are still interested (I am interested in the CEMED)?

Do they only interview for co-curricular programs in April? What if you get an accepatnce later but you are still interested (I am interested in the CEMED)?
Weren’t all co-curricular programs part of the secondary this year? I believe all concentrations needed to be chosen by3/1. My IMED interview was actually integrated with the COM interview (i.e. not after acceptance).

• Inappropriate
Weren’t all co-curricular programs part of the secondary this year? I believe all concentrations needed to be chosen by3/1. My IMED interview was actually integrated with the COM interview (i.e. not after acceptance).
I see, I guess it might be different for each program. Maybe someone who applied to CEMED can provide some insights as well.

I applied to CEMED and UMED and interviewed for UMED in Jan and was excepted in Feb. I never heard from CEMED and UMED required a response by April 30. I gave up on CEMED thinking they weren’t interested so I accepted UMED.

Last edited:
I applied to CEMED and UMED and interviewed for UMED in Jan and was excepted in Feb. i never heard from CEMED and UMED required a response by April 30. I gave up in CEMED thinking they weren’t interested so I accepted UMED.
Yeah I don't like how each program has their own timeline and procedure.

Withdrawing A from Chicago campus!! Hope it goes to someone on the WL or someone from other campuses gets to switch :)

Reactions: 9 users
When do we get an email regarding info about the tour? like where to show up and stuff. I signed up for the one on the 21st...

When do we get an email regarding info about the tour? like where to show up and stuff. I signed up for the one on the 21st...

They sent the April 21 agenda on April 9. Reach out to admissions. If you don’t get any response quickly I can get you the agenda via DM.

Wishing good news for everyone tomorrow! I know decisions are "supposed" to be released on Friday but last month people received acceptance decisions on Thursday as well

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
did y’all get told that you were on delayed decision? Because today was the first time I found out I was in that categorization haha