2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. That’s intense. Never experienced anything on that level before. You figure there would at least be some people from Columbia, Penn, Dartmouth, Brown etc. Do you think that HYPSM gives that much of a boost over lower Ivy’s? I wonder how top students from the former do compared to above average at the Latter.

20% don’t get in from HYPSM? Do they solely apply to top schools or something?
I have no idea nor will I pretend to have an explanation for that. Our premed advisor gives us historical info from past cycles and applicants. I'm sure HYPSM/etc. have bigger draws over Brown/Dartmouth but it's nothing to fuss over, neither is the prestige talk in general.

For top schools, the number ranges from 10-20% of students receiving no A's per cycle. I would assume low GPA or low MCAT is the reason for this, though, since our advisors are pretty hands-on about making sure we all have appropriate school lists and the like. BUT, from the scatterplots, there are some 'average stat' folks who got no A's so honestly, I have no explanation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
it's probably hard to extrapolate that from a single interview day, since there's a lot of random chance that goes into which students happen to sign up for a particular interview slot. i think it would be pretty informative if the interview tracker also tracked UG school--could tell you a little bit about "unofficial feeder schools" to particular med schools
I mean the interview tracker itself is pretty worthless, like last year's final count for a few schools (even the big dogs) was less than 50 lol. On top of that, the majority of people posting on the tracker are definitely gunners and/or kids who are already in good positions—it's a terrible representation of the whole.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean the interview tracker itself is pretty worthless, like last year's final count for a few schools (even the big dogs) was less than 50 lol. On top of that, the majority of people posting on the tracker are definitely gunners and/or kids who are already in good positions—it's a terrible representation of the whole.
that's fair. obviously the better alternative would be for all schools to publicly release what UGs their students attended (and how many are from each UG) which a couple already do (though you obviously have differences in matriculated vs. attended)

Members don't see this ad :)
aamc should release every applicant as an anonymized python dictionary for data analysis.

Well, more of he said she said, I could say the exact opposite...I have 8 friends at NYU (upperclassmen, HYPSM school) and all of them were interviewed in September. I've gotten 11 II's so far (all at top schools, I haven't received my state school yet ironically), 9 of which occurred in the span of 2 weeks and 2 in the past month. We all submitted early.

Our premed advisor, a former AO for our medical school, essentially endorsed that at least at her school there was definitely an ordered review for high stat and/or special case (URMs, etc.) students, and that 520x/3.9x with no II's at Thanksgiving was worse than an average applicant with no II's at Thanksgiving.

Is that true? I have no idea, since I've seen the exact opposite happen last cycle and this cycle. Maybe at her school only. Maybe elite colleges also get priority, since our data (we have mass II data given to us) pretty much shows an exponential decrease after Oct.

Long story short, none of us know anything!
That's interesting. Perhaps it's tied to undergrad prestige. As I mentioned at a lot of these top med schools, there are many high stat applicants. So filtering by stats may not prove to be a strong enough filter. Perhaps they use school prestige as a another ranker for priority. All of my friends were from state schools (and not the public ivies or even close) as I mentioned

I've had a couple of interviews so far and at the student day/pre-interview at Pritzker there were actually exclusively HYP and Chicago students. Legit no one else. The other interview we didn't have a vocal student meetup but I could still see the people in info session and I had 2 classmates there (lol).

As per your second point, definitely not. Even if we assumed it did, there aren't THAT many HYPSM/Chicago/etc. premed students applying each year (according to our school it's about 120 per year and 20% of them don't get accepted, and considering the average MCAT is ~516 at these schools, only about 60% of them are even competitive to top schools in the first place, so the number turns out to be somewhere around 80...then safely assume 800 for T10 undergrads) AKA not that significant. I just think Deans care, like if they care so much about USNews then it would logically extend downstream.
I have noticed that at my early interviews, a much higher proportion were from top colleges or local colleges. In those cases... I was from a local college...

Just checked with my friend from last year with 10+ interviews. Of her top IIs, she got Baylor in August, UVA and Pitt in September, Harvard Hopkins CCLCM in October, NYU and Mayo in November.

In my personal experience with friends from state schools, most top school IIs always came late September to October and maybe even November (two of my friends at Penn med got their IIs for Penn in late October).

Reactions: 3 users
Just checked with my friend from last year with 10+ interviews. Of her top IIs, she got Baylor in August, UVA and Pitt in September, Harvard Hopkins CCLCM in October, NYU and Mayo in November.

In my personal experience with friends from state schools, most top school IIs always came late September to October and maybe even November (two of my friends at Penn med got their IIs for Penn in late October).
Yeah I suppose discussing this is just blindly throwing darts, no one really knows what's going on and people have polar opposite experiences lmao

Let's just hope for the best...no point in trying to predict this nonsensical process

Reactions: 2 users

How was that outcome for her? Did she end up turning any of those into an A? (I say as a state school kid interviewing at several of these places LOL)

Does anybody know the difference between an R and a hold here. We all know that a hold at Mayo is a soft R. So why not just reject everybody?

Does anybody know the difference between an R and a hold here. We all know that a hold at Mayo is a soft R. So why not just reject everybody?

Was wondering the same thing. Does a hold mean that we don’t have any major red flags and are a somewhat competitive applicant for other schools?

Was wondering the same thing. Does a hold mean that we don’t have any major red flags and are a somewhat competitive applicant for other schools?
Well I have a pretty major red flag and got a hold. So not sure if it’s that lol

Btw, got put on hold here during a previous cycle too.

Being on hold means that you are interesting enough to maybe interview later but not interesting enough to interview on first look.

People have gotten II's off the hold list. It is just really rare.

So yes, technically a hold is better than a straight R. I would take a hold as an R (I got a Hold -> R the past two cycles), but interpret it as you will.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hi! If you don't mind sharing, just wondering what are your friends stats?

Hi! If you don't mind sharing, just wondering what are your friends stats?
She had a 4.0/521. The friends that were accepted to penn were 3.9+/521 and 3.9+/523.
My friend currently with 6 IIs has a 3.98/527, and me with 4 IIs has a 3.99/520.

How was that outcome for her? Did she end up turning any of those into an A? (I say as a state school kid interviewing at several of these places LOL)
Yes, but only UVA.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
What are you worried about exactly? 3, 4 II's now are amazing. If you're a high stat or special interest applicant it's probably improbable you'll get "10" down the line unless you submitted late or something, but that also brings along its own faults. Medial applicants tend to get the interviews later down the line for the most part.
Just wanted to share some updates about interviews, as we discussed how likely it was that early applicants would mostly receive interviews in August.

My 527 friend is now at 7 IIs (3 Aug, 4 Sept)
I (520) am at 6 IIs (3 Aug, 3 Sept)
My 517 friend is at 3 IIs (2 Aug, 1 Sept)
All state school undergrads, all ORM, and all applied almost only to T50 schools.

Interestingly, 527 and I both have the exact same IIs, mine just came about a week after hers (I also submit secondaries about a week after her). I'm still hoping for around 10 IIs total, with 2 of them being CCLCM and Perelman.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share some updates about interviews, as we discussed how likely it was that early applicants would mostly receive interviews in August.

My 527 friend is now at 7 IIs (3 Aug, 4 Sept)
I (520) am at 6 IIs (3 Aug, 3 Sept)
My 517 friend is at 3 IIs (2 Aug, 1 Sept)
All state school, all ORM.

Interestingly, 527 and I both have the exact same IIs, mine just came about a week after hers (I also submit secondaries about a week after her). I'm still hoping for around 10 IIs total, with 2 of them being CCLCM and Perelman.
Is this supposed to be a flex? I think everyone knows high stats get priority lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Not at all. There was an earlier discussion here that extremely high stats and very early application submission would mean that the vast majority of our IIs would be in October itself. The comment i quoted in my reply indicates the beginning of that conversation. I was sharing a personal update indicating otherwise.

Apologies if that didn't come through. I just remembered this conversation after someone DM'd me for an update, and thought I might share it on the thread it originated.
Whoever said that is a clown, why would super high stats and submission early mean you get your interviews....later? Also this is literally just untrue and never observed. Anyone with 10+ II's right now (or just lots of II's) is either ++high stats, URM, or both.

Not at all. There was an earlier discussion here that extremely high stats and very early application submission would mean that the vast majority of our IIs would be in August itself. The comment i quoted in my reply indicates the beginning of that conversation. I was sharing a personal update indicating otherwise.

Apologies if that didn't come through. I just remembered this conversation after someone DM'd me for an update, and thought I might share it on the thread it originated.
I am going to ask all of you to reserve this school-specific thread for discussions about Mayo Clinic only.
If you would like to debate and flex and compare who has more interviews or whatever you're doing here, start a separate thread please.
Wysdoc

Reactions: 24 users
Has anyone who's interviewed here/will interview know anything about sending physical thank you notes to the interviewers. I'd sent a thank you email after each interview already and I asked the admissions office about their protocol for mailing letters (due to the infamous rumor), and no reply yet after a few days.

There's an option to upload letters to their portal so I'm wondering if that's what they want since they did specify thank you letters were an option to upload

Has anyone who's interviewed here/will interview know anything about sending physical thank you notes to the interviewers. I'd sent a thank you email after each interview already and I asked the admissions office about their protocol for mailing letters (due to the infamous rumor), and no reply yet after a few days.

There's an option to upload letters to their portal so I'm wondering if that's what they want since they did specify thank you letters were an option to upload
During last weekend's info panel, they said that post-interview communication should be done through the portal.

Just put on hold today. I was complete mid July and my LM is 76. Is this essentially a rejection?

Just put on hold today. I was complete mid July and my LM is 76. Is this essentially a rejection?
Most holds turn into Rs, but not all. I definitely wouldn't bet on it, but there's still a little hope.

hey friends!

I submitted my primary (9/15) as a Hail Mary and received a secondary yesterday.
Does anyone know how extensive their initial screen is? Or is it more stats based?

LM73, first-gen, low-income.

hey friends!

I submitted my primary (9/15) as a Hail Mary and received a secondary yesterday.
Does anyone know how extensive their initial screen is? Or is it more stats based?

I didn’t think that they screened aside from stats but the dates suggest that maybe I’m wrong.

hey friends!

Given you are both first-gen and low-income, I think LM 73 may be enough stat-wise if you have strong ECs. That's 2 of the 3 additional consideration status boxes you check (last being URM).

hey friends!

idk but my stats are considerably lower than yours, ORM, and I have an II. So you'll get reviewed at least

The "review complete" email nearly had me having a heart attack thinking I got a decision during class lmao

II just received!! Beyond excited for this one. Complete 07/14, and this is for the MN campus.

• Care
First R of the cycle today, which stings even more because Mayo was my dream school…😢

Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
  • Care
For people who have attended the Sunday evening student hangout, what is the dress code? Were people wearing suits?

For people who have attended the Sunday evening student hangout, what is the dress code? Were people wearing suits?
It was super casual, everyone was just in t-shirts from what I remember. I had emailed one of the students ahead of time to ask and they just told me to wear whatever's most comfortable, none of them are involved in admissions.

I have a hold from Mayo. Does that have any bearing that I am atleast an okay applicant since I did not get an R? Or do they just hold everyone?

ll the other day. Im over the moon. complete 8/4. LM 70

Do we email Thank you letters directly to our interviewers or to the portal?

current MS1 - feel free to PM with any questions about the program! I remember with virtual sessions last year it was hard for me to get a feel of the school prior to making any visits so talking to students helped me out with making my final decision. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
current MS1 - feel free to PM with any questions about the program! I remember with virtual sessions last year it was hard for me to get a feel of the school prior to making any visits so talking to students helped me out with making my final decision. Good luck to everyone!
Thank you for the offer! I just sent you a PM!

Hey guys, I just got the hold. Is that basically a soft R a la UCSD or do I actually have a chance?