2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Minnesota Complete 7/21

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats all! Any internationals receive IIs yet (complete end of July)?

Sorry for the lazy question, but what do you guys think are some of the most unique aspects of Mayo? I tried to draft a secondary based on information I found in their website and literally the feedback was that my secondary was such generic trash that it could be applicable to literally any research heavy school.
Current M1 here. Frames/science of healthcare delivery is a big one. Selectives are also huge, and we get an incredible amount of free time and flexibility to dedicate to research and career exploration. There's even enough time to do a master's degree if you'd like, and they offer several. Additionally, because of Mayo Clinic's reputation, you'll likely be able to see clinical things here that you won't be able to see anywhere else. The small class sizes are also super small (55 including MD/PhDs), so if that's your thing, then maybe consider discussing that. Other current students might have more to add, but these are my $0.02.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current M1 here. Frames/science of healthcare delivery is a big one. Selectives are also huge, and we get an incredible amount of free time and flexibility to dedicate to research and career exploration. There's even enough time to do a master's degree if you'd like, and they offer several. Additionally, because of Mayo Clinic's reputation, you'll likely be able to see clinical things here that you won't be able to see anywhere else. The small class sizes are also super small (55 including MD/PhDs), so if that's your thing, then maybe consider discussing that. Other current students might have more to add, but these are my $0.02.
Do you get a lot of chances to interact with the other campuses / their students?

Do you get a lot of chances to interact with the other campuses / their students?
Honestly, not a whole lot so far. COVID-willing, I believe that we can do away rotations/selectives at the other campuses, but otherwise, it's just on occasional large Zoom meetings.

I had to reschedule my interview for the 2nd week in October, do yall think this will affect my admission chances?

I had to reschedule my interview for the 2nd week in October, do yall think this will affect my admission chances?
I wouldn't think so. MCASOM does not use rolling admissions, so your interview date shouldn't affect your odds of acceptance. Additionally, you're human, things happen, and you gave them plenty of notice, so I highly doubt that any reasonable human would hold it against you.

II Florida track from FL :) absolutely stoked

edit for stats:
Complete 7/20, ORM, LM 77.6

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Probs a silly question but I got put on a pre-II hold as well. Does anyone know what this means exactly? Is it basically an R?

Were any of the holds for the Rochester program?

Any internationals hear back from Mayo yet? Complete end of July, no hold/R/II from any schools I've applied to. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Does no hold + no II == R
No hold + no II = not yet reviewed, OR, R, but they aren't sending them out yet. No way to know until they send out Rs, but we do know they cannot possibly be done reviewing all applications yet, so you cannot infer an outcome from the lack of a communication from them!

Any internationals hear back from Mayo yet? Complete end of July, no hold/R/II from any schools I've applied to. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
Likewise! Complete 8/12. Hopefully, we get some updates soon.

Another OOS hold here, for the Rochester location.

OOS here, got put on hold (which is considered a soft R, right?), put Rochester as #1

3.9X, 523

Last edited:
  • Care
N=1 but I was put on hold in a previous cycle and was rejected like a month later

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone had trouble getting in touch with admissions to reschedule their interview? IDK if my email got lost or something
I'm currently trying to reschedule! I emailed admissions but have not heard back. Did they get back to you quickly? I haven't officially accepted the II

Just got hit with the R.

Complete 7/29

Has anyone had trouble getting in touch with admissions to reschedule their interview? IDK if my email got lost or something

I'm currently trying to reschedule! I emailed admissions but have not heard back. Did they get back to you quickly? I haven't officially accepted the II
It took around 3 days.

Hold. Rochester #1. I’m assuming this is a soft R, but does anyone know if this is a universal hold or is each campus reviewed separately?

Anyone else complete in July and still have no hold or R? Honestly surprised, this is a major reach with my stats

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else complete in July and still have no hold or R? Honestly surprised, this is a major reach with my stats
Yes.

I put some details in the first post to this thread, but it seems that Mayo works through their applications mostly in order of MCAT score.

This is my 3rd time applying and in both prior cycles I didn't hear anything until December. The batches of people responding to the SDN threads at any given time roughly clumped together by MCAT score throughout the last two years.

• Hmm
Yes.

I put some details in the first post to this thread, but it seems that Mayo works through their applications mostly in order of MCAT score.

This is my 3rd time applying and in both prior cycles I didn't hear anything until December. The batches of people responding to the SDN threads at any given time roughly clumped together by MCAT score throughout the last two years.
Well, I'd find this plausible, but my MCAT score is the same as yours and they hit me with an R this morning.

• Hmm
Well, I'd find this plausible, but my MCAT score is the same as yours and they hit me with an R this morning.
Naturally I don't have an inside look at Mayo's process, but this is a general observation that seemed to track pretty well over the last two years.

Any individual may very well have something in their application, special connections, or just blind luck that gets them looked at. YMMV.

I was complete mid July and haven't heard anything. But my LM is 76 so I'm guessing maybe they just didn't even get to me yet? This is definitely a big reach for me.

I was complete mid July and haven't heard anything. But my LM is 76 so I'm guessing maybe they just didn't even get to me yet? This is definitely a big reach for me.
+1 complete 07/14. Hang in there, they'll get to us eventually

Got an R today at 10:30 am. Good luck everybody

Just got hit with a hold 😫

• Care