2021-2022 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interview late September still waiting for their decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I’m not really sure, this whole process seems pretty random to me sometimes - but yeah, the adcoms at MSU probably just didn’t vibe with my story, essays, and/or ECs. Personally I thought my essays were decent though and I was genuinely interested in their program.
Sorry about the R:( what quartile was your CASPer if you don't mind sharing?

Sorry about the R:( what quartile was your CASPer if you don't mind sharing?

I got fourth quartile on CASPer! I didn’t take the test until the last minute because I forgot that it existed, so the score might’ve been transmitted a little bit later after I submitted my secondary.

Got the acceptance call Tuesday around 7:30pm EST and an email yesterday morning! Interviewed 10/22, IS.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Be honest with me: 510/ 3.9 (general and science)/ ORM/ In-state and I haven't heard anything from MSU post secondary yet. Am I in trouble?

My secondary talked about why I wanted to attend MSUCHM and seemed pretty strong and I have pretty decent EC. MY only red flag would probably be my CASPER score which was in the lowest quartile :(

Be honest with me: 510/ 3.9 (general and science)/ ORM/ In-state and I haven't heard anything from MSU post secondary yet. Am I in trouble?

My secondary talked about why I wanted to attend MSUCHM and seemed pretty strong and I have pretty decent EC. MY only red flag would probably be my CASPER score which was in the lowest quartile :(
Your stats are more than good for MSU. But admissions has become so much more than stats that I don't think anyone here is qualified to give you a satisfying anwser w/o seeing your entire app. When did you submit your secondary?

Your stats are more than good for MSU. But admissions has become so much more than stats that I don't think anyone here is qualified to give you a satisfying anwser w/o seeing your entire app. When did you submit your secondary?
ASAP. As soon as the cycle would let me. I even pre-wrote secondaries for MSU. It is my top choice and Alma Mater so I feel kind of bummed to have gotten no love so far.

Edit: Here is some more info on my app: MD & DO - WAMC/ List help! (3.9/510) Mi resident

ASAP. As soon as the cycle would let me. I even pre-wrote secondaries for MSU. It is my top choice and Alma Mater so I feel kind of bummed to have gotten no love so far.

Edit: Here is some more info on my app: MD & DO - WAMC/ List help! (3.9/510) Mi resident
Oh wow, wo you have been waiting awhile! The only thing I could see that *might* be impacting your app is that you have kind of low non-clinical volunteer hours and MSU seems huge into community outreach.

But they have already sent rejections so you aren't out of the running yet! I wouldn't lose hope because they probably have your app set aside for another re-review.

Last edited:
Oh wow, wo you have been waiting awhile! The only thing I could see that *might* be impacting your app is that you have kind of low non-clinical volunteer hours and MSU seems huge into community outreach.

But they have already sent rejections so you aren't out of the running yet! I wouldn't lose hope because they probably have your app set aside for another re-review.
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does re-review mean? I also had a feeling I was low on NC Volunteering, COVID made that much harder. I was hopping my stats could make up for it.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does re-review mean?
Its not an official terms by any means. They have either looked at your app and put it "on hold" to be looked over again or they have some other way of sorting apps that isn't sequential and you may be under review at a later time. I would check your portal to see if you are on hold because some people in the forum have been talking about it.

Its not an official terms by any means. They have either looked at your app and put it "on hold" to be looked over again or they have some other way of sorting apps that isn't sequential and you may be under review at a later time. I would check your portal to see if you are on hold because some people in the forum have been talking about it.
My status is still "forwarded for preliminary review" I hope CHM is willing to overlook a low CASPER score. I also re checked my AMCAS application and I have 90 hours of non clinical volunteer time. I forgot to add an event to the "WAMC" forum I made.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, just kinda wanted to share my timeline with anyone in case they were curious. I submitted my secondary pretty late (Oct 6th), received an interview invite Oct 12th, completed my interview on November 5th, and was notified that I was put on the alternate list on Nov 17th. I’m IS, subpar gpa and mcat. I do have a lot of recent service community service hours w underserved pop.

hey guys, just kinda wanted to share my timeline with anyone in case they were curious. I submitted my secondary pretty late (Oct 6th), received an interview invite Oct 12th, completed my interview on November 5th, and was notified that I was put on the alternate list on Nov 17th. I’m IS, subpar gpa and mcat. I do have a lot of recent service community service hours w underserved pop.
If you don't mind my asking are you an ORM or URM? I applied as soon as it opened with a 510/3.9 and it has been so silent :(

If you don't mind my asking are you an ORM or URM? I applied as soon as it opened with a 510/3.9 and it has been so silent :(
I’m an ORM. I was definitely surprised to hear back from msu because I got a pre-II rejection from them last cycle. There's still so many months left in the interview cycle, I wouldn't give up hope. I'm sure sending them an update in the near future might help too

Hey all! Just wondering if anyone here who has already interviewed would be willing to offer some friendly pre-interview advice? TIA!
Find something in their program that you actually resonate with and talk about that. Bonus points if you talk about specific programs or aspects of their curriculum. For MMIs, you have around 8 minutes to answer or something? So take your time answering and give clear explanations to your responses

Last edited:
Complete date and stats?
Complete 7/22 forwarded for review on 8/18. Placed on Hold for 3 months. Stats: not so great Undergrad GPA, 3.89 Post bacc gpa. MCAT between 500-505. I did research for MSU CHM for a full year and have >9000 clinical hours

Complete 7/22 forwarded for review on 8/18. Placed on Hold for 3 months. Stats: not so great Undergrad GPA, 3.89 Post bacc gpa. MCAT between 500-505. I did research for MSU CHM for a full year and have >9000 clinical hours
Jesus, I got only 250 clinical hours. How normal is having 1000+ hours?

Jesus, I got only 250 clinical hours. How normal is having 1000+ hours?
Normal if you are a nontrad! :) I went to school part time and worked in the hospital for 4 years. I have been gathering clinical hours since 2015 either part time or full time

Oh wow, they make call lates, congratulations! When was your interview if you don't mind me asking?
Was very thrown off by the late call lol but so happy they told me sooner than later! Interviewed 11/1 IS.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I bleieve that today is supposed to be a decision day but it has been awfully quiet on here. Has anyone heard back today?

Anyone that has interviewed here: Did you guys send thank you emails post interview? If so, who did you send it to bc the interview was with a lot of different faculty,etc

All right, day 2 of December! Applied at start and still "forwarded for preliminary review". Honestly I don't know if that is better or worse than being on hold for an interview decision.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Maybe CHM is very slow? I don't know anymore :(

Reactions: 1 users
All right, day 2 of December! Applied at start and still "forwarded for preliminary review". Honestly I don't know if that is better or worse than being on hold for an interview decision.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Maybe CHM is very slow? I don't know anymore :(
Forwarded for preliminary review on July 24th and silence ever since

Have you checked to see if you are on hold?

In state applicant; Interview invite 10/27; Interview complete 11/19; Status is unchanged through first decision date after interview (12/1). Hoping to hear back on next decision day (12/15). It looks like people who have been accepted are getting phone calls the night before the release date.

Stat: 3.87 cum, 3.87 science, 512 MCAT, 2500+ clinical hours, no research (Due to Covid)

In state applicant; Interview invite 10/27; Interview complete 11/19; Status is unchanged through first decision date after interview (12/1). Hoping to hear back on next decision day (12/15). It looks like people who have been accepted are getting phone calls the night before the release date.

Stat: 3.87 cum, 3.87 science, 512 MCAT, 2500+ clinical hours, no research (Due to Covid)
This is random.. but did you send a thank you email after your interview? I interviewed this Monday and am drafting a thank you email, but unsure of how many and where to send because we interviewed with so many different faculty

This is random.. but did you send a thank you email after your interview? I interviewed this Monday and am drafting a thank you email, but unsure of how many and where to send because we interviewed with so many different faculty
No I did not send a thank you email. I had a tech issue during my student interview so I did reach out to admissions office and in that email I thanked them but nothing personal to an actual interviewer.

I was initially forwarded to preliminary review on 7/22/2021 ... however I just checked the portal today and now it says forwarded to preliminary review on 12/02/2021 (aka today)... anyone else?

I was initially forwarded to preliminary review on 7/22/2021 ... however I just checked the portal today and now it says forwarded to preliminary review on 12/02/2021 (aka today)... anyone else?
Mine still says 7/22/2021

Uhhh me too. I don't like this. What does this mean?

same......any guesses LOL?
You guys should just call them or send them an email! They are great over there in the admissions office and super helpful. I've asked multiple questions throughout the process and they never made me feel like I was stepping out of line or inconveniencing them at all! They are super nice people there.

Reactions: 2 users