2021-2022 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II Received! ORM, Complete 6/30, LM: 81

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would I get an instant R if I asked why NYU has accepted less and less disadvantaged and URM applicants after going tuition-free, down to 3%? lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Would I get an instant R if I asked why NYU has accepted less and less disadvantaged and URM applicants after going tuition-free, down to 3%? lol
No, but you don't know that they've accepted less, only that they've enrolled less. My guess would be that result was perfectly predictable. Not because they are any less aggressive in pursuing them than peers, but because the NYU free tuition for all proposition is relatively more attractive to non-disadvantaged, non-URM candidates who do not receive similar offers elsewhere.

At the end of the day, my guess would be that NYU loses more low-SES and URM candidates to other T5 and T10s than White and ORM candidates, because free tuition at NYU isn't the lure for the former that it is for the latter. No way to fix that, other than to tell other schools to go tuition free, or to stop offering financial inducements to attract disadvantaged and URM applicants.

No, but you don't know that they've accepted less, only that they've enrolled less. My guess would be that result was perfectly predictable. Not because they are any less aggressive in pursuing them than peers, but because the NYU free tuition for all proposition is relatively more attractive to non-disadvantaged, non-URM candidates who do not receive similar offers elsewhere.

At the end of the day, my guess would be that NYU loses more low-SES and URM candidates to other T5 and T10s than White and ORM candidates, because free tuition at NYU isn't the lure for the former that it is for the latter. No way to fix that, other than to tell other schools to go tuition free, or to stop offering financial inducements to attract disadvantaged and URM applicants.
Is more perhaps the fact that even with Free Tuition living in NYC is pretty expensive. For someone with low SES free tuition might be meaningless if they can afford room and board after that. For these reasons they might accept offers elesewhere even if the school does not have the NYU name.

Is more perhaps the fact that even with Free Tuition living in NYC is pretty expensive. For someone with low SES free tuition might be meaningless if they can afford room and board after that. For these reasons they might accept offers elesewhere even if the school does not have the NYU name.
I don't think so. They also offer subsidized housing, plus, for those with extreme need, they go up to full COA scholarships.

I honestly just think people who are beating them up over these numbers are failing to realize that they are a T5-10 school offering full tuition scholarships to all, no questions asked. That is a game changer for non-URMs and people without financial "need" as defined by the schools, but is nothing special for T10 caliber low SES and URM applicants.

As a result, those students have no reason to choose NYU over any other peer school, and they don't, while upper middle class White and ORM candidates turn down being full pay at Harvard for full tuition scholarships at NYU. And THAT is why their URM enrollment isn't keeping pace.

Of course, NYU COULD dip lower into the pool, and accept lower stat URM applicants that other T10s won't touch, but they aren't doing that for the same reasons the other schools don't. If that is the complaint, it is what it is. They certainly didn't go to a free tuition model to actually lower their admission competitiveness and standing in the rankings by opening the school to people who otherwise cannot get into a T10 school. Moreover, over time that would be likely to knock them out of the T10! :)

The only answer is to try to make themselves more attractive to the high stat URMs they are accepting for reasons other than money, to increase their yield among that group to where it is with their other demographics. And that is tough, because URMs see the numbers and take a pass, so the vicious circle continues.

Last edited:
I totally mixed up the time and had a flight home on Friday. I didn’t realize the time difference and I’ll get in 12:15 EST and the information session is 12:00 EST. Will missing 15 kill me or should I try to reschedule the flight ? My interview will already be done by then.

I totally mixed up the time and had a flight home on Friday. I didn’t realize the time difference and I’ll get in 12:15 EST and the information session is 12:00 EST. Will missing 15 kill me or should I try to reschedule the flight ? My interview will already be done by then.
If you land at 12:15 you will be missing more than 15 min!

Did anyone else not get the Friday afternoon session zoom link? Is it the same as our interview link? I still haven’t gotten mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today! surprised as i was complete 7/5. for those interested, the earliest interview dates were early nov

II! Complete 7/19, OOS URM LM 75

II! Complete 7/19, OOS URM LM 75
+1! Complete 7/12, OOS non-URM, 3.9X 523.

Since NYU is on a rolling basis, is November considered a late interview time for NYU??? That's the earliest time available

+1! Complete 7/12, OOS non-URM, 3.9X 523.

Since NYU is on a rolling basis, is November considered a late interview time for NYU??? That's the earliest time available
tbh it's probs on the later end just because NYU's cycle starts so early but I'm just happy to have a shot!

II received earlier today. Was complete 8/1.

II also received earlier today! LM 80.8, complete 8/3. Like other people have said above, I only see November dates available.

are people who interviewed this week sending thank you letters? not sure what the vibe is since it was MMI lol

are people who interviewed this week sending thank you letters? not sure what the vibe is since it was MMI lol
I think I am. Dean Rivera kinda made it sound like a thank you letter could influence our chance of getting in , which usually isn’t the case for schools.

II today! Unexpected, but so pumped! Did not think I stood a shot here!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Interview Invite today! Im so excited scheduled for November 10th!

Does anybody know what type of MMI stations NYU uses besides policy related or ethical dilemma stations? More specifically, do they incorporate acting stages?

Does anybody know what type of MMI stations NYU uses besides policy related or ethical dilemma stations? More specifically, do they incorporate acting stages?
I spent 2 hours going over some Reddit documents with MMI questions and did fine at the interview. IDK what acting stages are but by the sounds of it, I don't think I experienced that.

I spent 2 hours going over some Reddit documents with MMI questions and did fine at the interview. IDK what acting stages are but by the sounds of it, I don't think I experienced that.
Thanks for the response. And the acting stations are where the interviewer will play a role like that of a patient while you are the physician delivering bad news... or something like that.

Does NYU give out pre interview rejections or ghost?

EDIT: complete early July

We should be hearing back the next couple days yall !!! I'm sooo excited!! R or A I'm ready to accept my fate ( but plz be an A).

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
For those of you who had your interviews already, did everyone have their camera on/formal attire on for the Friday Informational session? I'm not looking forward to just sitting there for 5 hours straight like that

For those of you who had your interviews already, did everyone have their camera on/formal attire on for the Friday Informational session? I'm not looking forward to just sitting there for 5 hours straight like that
All but two people had suits on in my Friday session ( I was one of the two), but several staff members made comments that they told us not to dress formally.

II yesterday!!!! could not be more excited!
LM 75 ORM OOS
complete end of July

Last edited:
I hate to fuel the neuroticism, but Dean Rivera mentioned in the Friday information session that he had already made a few calls for acceptances and was planning to make a few more in the afternoon.

Reactions: 4 users
I hate to fuel the neuroticism, but Dean Rivera mentioned in the Friday information session that he had already made a few calls for acceptances and was planning to make a few more in the afternoon.
did he mention if they would continue updating applicants this week?

Last edited:
Aye I’m cool with that ... cause I’m pretty sure they let you know either way , so not getting a call immediately isn’t necessarily a rejection.

oh **** ok...did he mention if they would continue updating applicants this week?
Sounds like its just a continuous work in progress. We were told that we would be informed of some sort of decision within 2-3 weeks of the interview. Either an accepted call, a rejection email, or an email that says we are under "continuing review".

II
what a great school
Complete late september

• Love