2021-2022 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey did everyone who got WL’d get invited to the webinar next week? I’m assuming yes but Jw haha

Members don't see this ad.

I think so. No tricks for waitlisted applicants unlike another NYU...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'll be at work during today's webinar, so if any of you kind souls want to post a summary of Dean Rivera's most important points (or message me privately) that would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users
Here are my notes folks! I'm sorry if I forgot anything

-Waitlist movement coming up soon: this week (maaaaybe), most likely next week
-220 people on waitlist
-Class is still overenrolled (according to PTE)
-If this year is like last year, 30-50 acceptance offers
-So far, 10 more people have PTEd with NYU than last year.
-Financial aid can come in 2-3 business days after date of acceptance IF FAFSA and CSS profile are already filled out. So if you are accepted off the WL get those documents sent to NYU ASAP! International students needing aid should send in the CSS profile
-1 week to decide if you are accepted off the waitlist and there are Mini revisits for those in town to get to meet people
-People are pulled off the waitlist based on the composition of the class/who dropped, so everyone is considered.
-Large group of As on the first week, then smaller groups until the third week of may. Postbacc applicants, if they give up their spot, there could be 1-3 spots available in mid June.
Waitlist—>Rs go outend of June.
-SEND LETTER OF INTENT IF NYU IS YOUR TOP CHOICE and you MUST CTE elsewhere.
-you can remain on other waitlists if you are accepted off NYU waitlist until you CTE

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
On the issue of letters of intent:
(^^please read this title like some 1700s treatise)
Dean Rivera stressed that the admissions committee has been specifically instructed NOT to consider letters of intent when making admissions decisions. He stated that letters of intent do NOT decide who gets accepted. Rather, they are only used when an applicant who the committee wants to accept has committed to enroll elsewhere. The letter of intent then signifies that they were strong armed into that commitment and would rather go to NYU. So, according to him, there's no value to sending a letter of intent if we are not required to commit to enroll elsewhere.
Updates are certainly welcome, and he said that they are not going to hurt and not very likely to help (lol)

• Care
Here are my notes folks! I'm sorry if I forgot anything

-Waitlist movement coming up soon: this week (maaaaybe), most likely next week
-220 people on waitlist
-Class is still overenrolled (according to PTE)
-If this year is like last year, 30-50 acceptance offers
-So far, 10 more people have PTEd with NYU than last year.
-Financial aid can come in 2-3 business days after date of acceptance IF FAFSA and CSS profile are already filled out. So if you are accepted off the WL get those documents sent to NYU ASAP! International students needing aid should send in the CSS profile
-1 week to decide if you are accepted off the waitlist and there are Mini revisits for those in town to get to meet people
-People are pulled off the waitlist based on the composition of the class/who dropped, so everyone is considered.
-Large group of As on the first week, then smaller groups until the third week of may. Postbacc applicants, if they give up their spot, there could be 1-3 spots available in mid June.
Waitlist—>Rs go outend of June.
-SEND LETTER OF INTENT IF NYU IS YOUR TOP CHOICE and you MUST CTE elsewhere.
-you can remain on other waitlists if you are accepted off NYU waitlist until you CTE
Thank you so much for this!!
Random question tho: I thought if you commit to a school there’s no turning back and that you can’t stay on any other waitlists? I’m guessing maybe this is just a guideline then?

Also, a week is not a long time to decide if accepted off the WL? If I want to go visit in person before making a decision I wonder if the admissions office would be flexible with this deadline?

Random question tho: I thought if you commit to a school there’s no turning back and that you can’t stay on any other waitlists? I’m guessing maybe this is just a guideline then?

Also, a week is not a long time to decide if accepted off the WL? If I want to go visit in person before making a decision I wonder if the admissions office would be flexible with this deadline?

apparently everything is guidelines rather than rules

(1) Dean Rivera can see if you've committed to another school. You can signal that you were essentially forced into committing by submitting a new LOI. (This is allegedly b/c of shady things schools will do to lock in their classes as early as possible. E.g. exploding scholarships or if they make you commit unreasonably early. note that Plan to Enroll =/= Commit to Enroll and that certain schools will make you commit months before the first day of classes, even though guidelines are supposed to be ~3 weeks before)

(2) it's not; Dean Rivera said to email him directly and you two will work something out.

• Care
Sigh, I wish all schools were this transparent about their WL pool

Reactions: 2 users

So I'm pretty sure that for both CTE and PTE, you as the applicant have the responsibility to withdraw your acceptances (for PTE) and waitlists (for CTE). As of 4/30 schools CAN see if you PTEd at their institution or another, so if they see you didn't PTE there they cab rescind your A, but it doesn't happen automatically. So your A isn't withdrawn when you use the CYMS tool come 4/30, either you or thé school you didntPTE at do it for you. Likewise with waitlist withdrawal and CTE. You aren't removed from any waitlists when you choose CTE on CYMS tool, it's up to you to remove yourself from the waitlists. But Dean Rivera can see oh Dr Mango has committed to another school (Mango Med), they are on the NYU WL by mistake. The letter of intent clarifies that no, Dr Mango would rather go to NYU than Mango Med, but Mango med is coercing them into an early commitment deadline. Does this make sense. Sorry for the long post.

Also fantastic username

• Haha
So I'm pretty sure that for both CTE and PTE, you as the applicant have the responsibility to withdraw your acceptances (for PTE) and waitlists (for CTE). As of 4/30 schools CAN see if you PTEd at their institution or another, so if they see you didn't PTE there they cab rescind your A, but it doesn't happen automatically. So your A isn't withdrawn when you use the CYMS tool come 4/30, either you or thé school you didntPTE at do it for you. Likewise with waitlist withdrawal and CTE. You aren't removed from any waitlists when you choose CTE on CYMS tool, it's up to you to remove yourself from the waitlists. But Dean Rivera can see oh Dr Mango has committed to another school (Mango Med), they are on the NYU WL by mistake. The letter of intent clarifies that no, Dr Mango would rather go to NYU than Mango Med, but Mango med is coercing them into an early commitment deadline. Does this make sense. Sorry for the long post.

Also fantastic username
That makes complete sense, thank you so much. I know schools don’t automatically rescind acceptances or take you off waitlists and that they always emphasize how the applicant is responsible for communicating with individual schools, but I wasn’t aware of the details! I thought if I had CTE’d somewhere while also holding a waitlist position, someone from the AAMC would yell at me through the computer 🤣 also, the end of your post with Mango Med and DrMango was great 🤣🤣🤣 thank you for being so helpful. Same to @4lphabet. Everyone is so kind on this thread and I really hope you all end up at your top choices! 🥰

• Care
Also, super wild that some schools would try to strong arm applicants into committing before the AAMC guideline!

Members don't see this ad :)
apparently everything is guidelines rather than rules

(1) Dean Rivera can see if you've committed to another school. You can signal that you were essentially forced into committing by submitting a new LOI. (This is allegedly b/c of shady things schools will do to lock in their classes as early as possible. E.g. exploding scholarships or if they make you commit unreasonably early. note that Plan to Enroll =/= Commit to Enroll and that certain schools will make you commit months before the first day of classes, even though guidelines are supposed to be ~3 weeks before)

(2) it's not; Dean Rivera said to email him directly and you two will work something out.
Thank you!! This is all great news :’)

Good luck this week everyone, regardless of what happens you have a lot to be proud of!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Feeling very nervous for today 😅 I hope some people on this thread get happy news soon 🤞🏽

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Do we think that’s the end for the bulk of the WL mvmt here? Last year there was one big wave of As the day after PTE deadline reported on SDN and then it was quiet. Maybe most people just didn’t report here yesterday

I don't /think/ reporting rates would be that low even if NYU sent ~30 (on the low end) acceptances. Pessimistically, if only 10% of acceptances post here, and we saw 1 yesterday, that would mean ~10 acceptances or so? Could be wrong, but my gut says we should see at least a few more here before we give up hope

yeah, i'm kind of shocked at only 1 post too, considering that this is one of the more active threads on here. maybe there were some students who ignored the May 2nd deadline and NYU needs to confirm how many spots are truly available?

Also received an A yesterday evening :) Best of luck to you all, hopefully there will be more soon!

…maybe this is the end? What’re we thinking 🤨
i'm thinking it's done tbh. it really did not seem promising to me when dean riveira said they had 10 more people PTE than last year and still a massive list. just a tough cycle i guess.

FYI to those in the WL, in the accepted student groupchat about 9 ppl have joined since Tuesday. Hope this helps and best wishes for all!

• Love
FYI to those in the WL, in the accepted student groupchat about 9 ppl have joined since Tuesday. Hope this helps and best wishes for all!
Thanks so much for the info!! It seems improbable that Dean Rivera would bait us and say a minimum of 30 and then only accept 9 right? That tracks with the roughly 10% SDN reporting rate too so I really can’t tell if I should hold my breath tomorrow or start the grieving process …

Thanks so much for the info!! It seems improbable that Dean Rivera would bait us and say a minimum of 30 and then only accept 9 right? That tracks with the roughly 10% SDN reporting rate too so I really can’t tell if I should hold my breath tomorrow or start the grieving process …
i think we also have to assume that more than 9 people were accepted, not everyone joins these groupmes especially not immediately

Even if we’re undershooting the actual number by like 100% (18 acceptances actually), that’s still under Dean Rivera’s estimate … this opacity is painful

Even if we’re undershooting the actual number by like 100% (18 acceptances actually), that’s still under Dean Rivera’s estimate … this opacity is painful
so painful. my hunch is there's just a lot of under-reporting this year. like i bet some acceptances went out tonight but just no one's posting about them. i really do think wl mvmt this year is just bad.

You have to remember, that posting the A off the waitlist could dox someone.
In the past, SDN was assumed about 15-25% reporting.
Also, you have to remember that NYU’s yield is typically higher for applicants who don’t qualify for need-based aid, and given the caliber of students, need-based aid people are likely equally entertaining other T10 schools with similar net COA.

It is still early folks! Each acceptance offer off the WL is given at least a week by the offering school to PTE, thus causes a rolling influx and exodus from the PTE group. Same with FB group, but remember, the FB group influx typically represents all As not just PTEs.

It’s only the 2nd inning…

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
He did tell us to expect around 3 waves, and that the first wave would be 20-30 people-ish. So I don't think he was misleading us with his estimates. We can hope for more movement next week!

I genuinely appreciate y’all’s optimism, wishing y’all strength and solidarity in these trying times 💪🏽😔

• Care
Can any admitted student share approximately how many students there are in the GroupMe/Facebook group?

So does anyone know if there was any waitlist movement this week? Wondering if it’s time to kiss my nyc dreams goodbye 🥲🥲

Finally got my R from the Waitlist earlier today! I realized that I applied to this school in July and got a final decision 11 months later 😂 but I appreciate the honest communication we've had throughout this cycle. It has been a wild ride, NYU Grossman thread! Best of luck to everyone here, whatever your future may hold.