2021-2022 NYU (Grossman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.
  • The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine community?
  • The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career and why? If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here. 2500 characters.
  • Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider? 2500 characters.
  • In light of the COVID-19 public health emergency, how do you view your potential role as a frontline healthcare provider? 2500 characters.

Reactions: 1 users
I hear NYU has confirmed Interviews will be remote for this cycle with no in person option.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS MSTP secondary received

1. If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application. (no limit)
2. If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so. (no limit)
3. The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine community? (2500 characters)
4. The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career and why? If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here. (2500 characters)
5. Please answer only one of the following three questions:
  1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
  2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
  3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?
6. In light of the COVID-19 public health emergency, how do you view your potential role as a frontline healthcare provider? (2500 characters)

@wysdoc

OOS Regular MD secondary received

Reactions: 1 user
OOS secondary received and submitted! Just waiting for them to mark LoRs complete

Is there any benefit to fill out the tertiary application when matriculated students can opt into the three-year pathway during their first year of training or halfway through the clerkship year?

Is there any benefit to fill out the tertiary application when matriculated students can opt into the three-year pathway during their first year of training or halfway through the clerkship year?
I was wondering the same! any current students have insight on this?

I believe there are limits per specialty for three year students.

Can someone please confirm the secondaries are the same as last years for us folks who haven't been verified yet?

Can someone please confirm the secondaries are the same as last years for us folks who haven't been verified yet?
It's pretty much the same, but one question changed to allow for 3 possible prompts (you choose one to answer). Someone already posted them above I believe, and they were posted ahead of time on the website!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else been having trouble logging onto the portal? I've tried to login a couple times today with no success.

Do we need to defer the tertiary application or is it just supposed to sit as incomplete?

I just re-read this question.

The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential. What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine community?

Does the word "complementary" mean we should not talk about "academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills, and leadership potential"?

I'm trying to tie my diversity essay into specific offerings at NYU like a clinic serving a certain population or student organizations I'd like to contribute to.

I can't seem to find any information on community service opportunities or student organizations on the Grossman website. Maybe I'm just missing it? Has anyone found this type of info?

I'm trying to tie my diversity essay into specific offerings at NYU like a clinic serving a certain population or student organizations I'd like to contribute to.

I can't seem to find any information on community service opportunities or student organizations on the Grossman website. Maybe I'm just missing it? Has anyone found this type of info?
I can't help with your question, maybe a current student can.
As a reminder, do remember that diversity questions should be focused on telling about You.

How many LORs are you guys submitting (for those who are doing individual letters)? I saw on their website they said 2 ("from professors who taught you in courses (at least one in science)") and MSAR says up to 8. Should I stick with 2 or would they get annoyed if I add more?

How many LORs are you guys submitting (for those who are doing individual letters)? I saw on their website they said 2 ("from professors who taught you in courses (at least one in science)") and MSAR says up to 8. Should I stick with 2 or would they get annoyed if I add more?
I was confused by that as well, but on the portal I believe they make it clear they want only 2. I would follow the website, if you submitted more letters I don’t think they would read them.

+1 II, OOS + LM 83.7

edit: submitted 6/29/21

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
II
78 LM
94 WARS
Submitted 7/11
URM

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
First II!! I'm sooo stoked!!
Submitted 6/28

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
congrats to everyone who got a II!!! so exciting. does anyone know if nyu usually sends out II to urm first?

It appears that everyone on here so far has been pretty high-stat URM, so anecdotally, maybe?
And, regardless of what they usually do, it certainly seems to be what they are doing this year! Isn't that all that really matters? :)

• Love
I signed up for my interview for 9/15. This was the soonest one available. Are interviews usually this far after the invite or did people just grab all the ones that are sooner?

Maybe not, if you look at the 2021-2022 interview tracker an ORM 3.99/524 is marked down for receiving an interview at NYU?
BTW that tracker is nice but it appears not a lot of people know about it or choose not to use it. At least that's the case with posters on this thread. I only stumbled upon it just a couple of days ago. Here's TheDataKing's sheet with the link to the form in cell A1: Interview Tracker

Edit: Corrected the link

Last edited:
BTW that tracker is nice but it appears not a lot of people know about it or choose not to use it. At least that's the case with posters on this thread. I only stumbled upon it just a couple of days ago. Here's DataKing's sheet with the link to the form in cell A1:

Is this tracker on SDN? how does one find it?

Any hypotheses as to when the next batch of interviews will be sent out? Wondering if it'll be on a monthly basis or sooner...

Any hypotheses as to when the next batch of interviews will be sent out? Wondering if it'll be on a monthly basis or sooner...
i just stalked last year's interview tracker and it looks like they were sent three weeks in a row (two at the end of july, one in august), then the end of august, then roughly once a month... not sure how much truth there is in that, but that would be my guess

My hypothesis is that they’ll be sent out during this application cycle.
It’s July, please relax or you’re going to have a terrible year.

Reactions: 3 users
i just stalked last year's interview tracker and it looks like they were sent three weeks in a row (two at the end of july, one in august), then the end of august, then roughly once a month... not sure how much truth there is in that, but that would be my guess
That would make sense based on rolling admissions for them to go strong at the beginning and then dwindle a bit later on, we shall see I guess...

I know it's rough but everyone needs to take a deep breath. II will come when it comes. And for NYU with a median of 522 and a super small class, I am honestly not really expecting anything from here anyway.
A well-needed reminder for sure, it's just the stress has been elevated now that they've sent out the first batch of interviews haHahA ... But stay positive! What's meant to be will be– even will high MCAT medians and such, I think NYU's range started at 512 last year!

looks like inflation isn’t just affecting the CPI print. MCAT scores have been rapidly rising. A few years ago it seemed as if 521 was well above the median for any school, but now it seems like 523+ is becoming the new 520+