2021-2022 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the email did go out Friday. I received my acceptance at 10:43 am. I interviewed sometime in early September for reference.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the email did go out Friday. I received my acceptance at 10:43 am. I interviewed sometime in early September for reference.
You don’t have to answer but are you planning on accepting said acceptance?

Don't apologize, I'd take bad news over no news any day. Thanks for updating us!

Reactions: 1 user
You don’t have to answer but are you planning on accepting said acceptance?
At this time I’m not quite sure! I wish I could give you a more concrete answer at this moment but I have a lot of factors to consider.

Does anyone know if they will tell us what number we are out of the remaining AWPA list now that all three rounds have been sent out?

Does anyone know if they will tell us what number we are out of the remaining AWPA list now that all three rounds have been sent out?
I don't believe that they do. My AWPA letter stated that "no information will be given out on one's placement on this list"

I don't believe that they do. My AWPA letter stated that "no information will be given out on one's placement on this list"
I was hoping they would now that it’s more of a traditional waiting list.

I was hoping they would now that it’s more of a traditional waiting list.
Yeah I feel you. I guess just be patient and hope you are in the top ~70% of the AWPA list.

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't let us know our rankings at any point.

Hi everyone, current MS1 at SIU here. Please feel free to reply in this thread or message privately with any questions you have! Can't promise I'll be able to answer everything, but I can at least give one student's perspective.

Hi everyone, current MS1 at SIU here. Please feel free to reply in this thread or message privately with any questions you have! Can't promise I'll be able to answer everything, but I can at least give one student's perspective.
I followed the saga of ice cheems in last year’s thread. Congrats on the 11th hour A!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I heard through the grapevine that SIU only matched 91% of their students post-SOAP for 2022. Has anyone else heard this? Or know approx. how many students soaped this year?

In their press release they stated that “64 students secured residency positions”. I thought they accepted 72 students for the graduating class of 2022. The numbers seem a little worrisome for a small (but well-established) school like SIU.

I heard through the grapevine that SIU only matched 91% of their students post-SOAP for 2022. Has anyone else heard this? Or know approx. how many students soaped this year?

In their press release they stated that “64 students secured residency positions”. I thought they accepted 72 students for the graduating class of 2022. The numbers seem a little worrisome for a small (but well-established) school like SIU.
It's hard to find things out sometimes, being on a separate campus from the upper classes, but I did a little digging myself. The Class of 2022 started with 75 students, but I believe there were only 68 M4s this year based on their composite photo of the class. (The others may have repeated a year or dropped out.) So it seems 64/68 students matched, ~94%.

Has anyone here interviewed for the Lincoln Scholars Program? I interview Monday and was curious what kinds of questions they ask compared to the original interview.

I think today is the “plan to enroll” deadline. I imagine we will start seeing movement next week.

SIU requires accepted student to pay deposit within 2 weeks of acceptance so they don’t have a PTE deadline, but they do offer deposit refund if withdrawal is prior to April 30. PTE deadline for most schools is April 30 or May 2. Today is the day those holding more than 3 acceptances need to narrow down to 3.

SIU requires accepted student to pay deposit within 2 weeks of acceptance so they don’t have a PTE deadline, but they do offer deposit refund if withdrawal is prior to April 30. PTE deadline for most schools is April 30 or May 2. Today is the day those holding more than 3 acceptances need to narrow down to 3.
That’s what I meant.

Anyone else doing the MD/MPH program? If so, have you heard anything about starting classes this summer?

It's hard to find things out sometimes, being on a separate campus from the upper classes, but I did a little digging myself. The Class of 2022 started with 75 students, but I believe there were only 68 M4s this year based on their composite photo of the class. (The others may have repeated a year or dropped out.) So it seems 64/68 students matched, ~94%.

MS4 here! Pretty much what ice cheems said. Class size changes frequently, as it does with all other schools, due to repeating years, dropping out, research years, etc. Four students did not match post-SOAP. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that they tried to SOAP, as some or all may have chosen to forego SOAPing to take a research year to reapply next cycle to the specialty in which they did not match. On a lighter note, I feel like our class killed it this year with the number of competitive specialties and programs we secured!

Hopefully I see you in the hospital up here pretty soon cheems, hope you're excited to come on up to the big city!

Last edited:
  • Love
Me neither. This whole process has honestly taken a HUGE emotional and psychological toll on me. Not sure if I can do this all again, truthfully.
I feel you because that was me last year. I became super depressed but I put my head down and improved my application in every single way possible and this year I got multiple As. I would 100% go over your application with you because I was in your shoes last summer and I absolutely know how you feel. PM me if you want.

Me neither. This whole process has honestly taken a HUGE emotional and psychological toll on me. Not sure if I can do this all again, truthfully.
We’re all in the same boat. Keep your head up and remember that making it onto the AWPA list means that you are acceptance material. Fortunately, there will likely still be a little more movement for the next couple weeks. I just wish the process was a little more transparent (position on the list) as I’m sure you can relate.

Reactions: 1 users
We’re all in the same boat. Keep your head up and remember that making it onto the AWPA list means that you are acceptance material. Fortunately, there will likely still be a little more movement for the next couple weeks. I just wish the process was a little more transparent (position on the list) as I’m sure you can relate.
Completely agree on the transparency. Like if I'm at the bottom of the list and obviously have no chance, just tell me. The hardest part of this system (imo) is feeling rejected at every batch, as well as as the days go by in April, May and probably June too without an A. At least with other schools' rolling admissions you, for the most part, just get the A or R right away (ofc other schools have waitlists too, I realize). I'm in this awful state of limbo/being pulled back and forth between dealing with this cycle all while preparing for another cycle (which I have already had to drop like ~$900 on in various ways to try to better myself and my application, in addition to the cost of my sanity and mental health).

Completely agree on the transparency. Like if I'm at the bottom of the list and obviously have no chance, just tell me. The hardest part of this system (imo) is feeling rejected at every batch, as well as as the days go by in April, May and probably June too without an A. At least with other schools' rolling admissions you, for the most part, just get the A or R right away (ofc other schools have waitlists too, I realize). I'm in this awful state of limbo/being pulled back and forth between dealing with this cycle all while preparing for another cycle (which I have already had to drop like ~$900 on in various ways to try to better myself and my application, in addition to the cost of my sanity and mental health).
In all honesty, if you are struggling with mental health, seek out a therapist. It could really help.

Is there a group chat created yet? If not, I can get one up

Current students - The website says that tuition is 40k/year. Is there any additional tuition for summer?

Hey, thanks for offering to give some insight! I was wondering where do med students typically live during their first year at the Carbondale campus?

Hey, thanks for offering to give some insight! I was wondering where do med students typically live during their first year at the Carbondale campus?
Did you come off the waitlist recently?

Also a current M1 here,

Typically everyone lives at the Reserve. It comes furnished with 2-4 bed room units.

For those who want to live at a cheaper place or alone, there are places like Aspen Court and Sun Valley.

Evolve Apartments might show up in your search, that is primarily used by undergraduate students and costs more.

Current students - The website says that tuition is 40k/year. Is there any additional tuition for summer?
If you plan on doing the optional research / volunteering tracked through the school (CARE/MPEE), then yes there is an additional summer charge.

For the normal school term, there’s only a fall and spring semester bill like all universities would typically have.

If you plan on doing the optional research / volunteering tracked through the school (CARE/MPEE), then yes there is an additional summer charge.

For the normal school term, there’s only a fall and spring semester bill like all universities would typically have.
Hey could you call admissions and tell them that ds1 would really appreciate it if they could pull them off the AWPA list?

Hey could you call admissions and tell them that ds1 would really appreciate it if they could pull them off the AWPA list?
Hang in there bud! There were a few that got accepted very “late” over the summer months for our class. SIU takes their time if it’s not noticeable 😂.

For the normal school term, there’s only a fall and spring semester bill like all universities would typically have
Thanks for your reply @pelenton123 What's the advantage of the optional research / volunteering? Can this be done outside of school? Thanks again

For those of you who have been accepted, 1- do you plan on attending and 2- do you know how many spots are left that haven’t been “claimed”? Just trying to see if there’s any possibility of acceptance still

Got the A this morning. Best of luck to everyone else. Keep your head up!

Reactions: 1 users