2021-2022 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got that waitlist email earlier today. OOS applicant with very close ties to the state (lived here for 6 years). LM 75, interviewed in November. Does anyone know how the OOS waitlist works in comparison with the IS waitlist?
They are supposedly two separate waitlists. So I think that in state applicants can only get in state spots and vice versa

Members don't see this ad.

How about the non-resident Utah school waitlist? Is that IS or OOS?
Did your email specifically say “non-resident utah waitlist”? If it did then it is probably also it’s own waitlist. Mine only said “utah” waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
Did your email specifically say “non-resident utah waitlist”? If it did then it is probably also it’s own waitlist. Mine only said “utah” wait
Yep, it says non resident Utah waitlist…. how complicated. It sounds like there might be 3+ different waitlists

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, it says non resident Utah waitlist…. how complicated. It sounds like there might be 3+ different waitlists
There is likely a waitlist for Idaho applicants/WAAMI, MD/PhD, in state, and out of state because the UU designates a certain # of spots for each.

IS applicant waitlisted 3/4. Interviewed October. LM 66.9. Does anyone know if they notify the top of the waitlist first, trying to gauge my likelihood of acceptance... was in the middle of planning an out of state move for another school and now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice is welcome!

Edit: misspelling lol

Last edited:
IS applicant waitlisted 4/4. Interviewed October. LM 66.9. Does anyone know if they notify the top of the waitlist first, trying to gauge my likelihood of acceptance... was in the middle of planning an out of state move for another school and now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice is welcome!

Edit: misspelling lol
Ya it’s by rank

Ya it’s by rank
My wording was a bit off, I mean do you think they notify the top of the waitlist that they have been waitlisted first so that they can continue down the line if people do not accept their position on the waitlist. I wish they'd give a little info on the process! Thank you for your help!

Reactions: 1 users
My wording was a bit off, I mean do you think they notify the top of the waitlist that they have been waitlisted first so that they can continue down the line if people do not accept their position on the waitlist. I wish they'd give a little info on the process! Thank you for your help!
No I don’t think they say anything like that :/

For anyone wondering, I emailed admissions and they said approx. 100 Utah residents were waitlisted last year and 40 of them were accepted. Not sure if this year will be similar but seems like a good bit of movement will happen!

Reactions: 4 users
For anyone wondering, I emailed admissions and they said approx. 100 Utah residents were waitlisted last year and 40 of them were accepted. Not sure if this year will be similar but seems like a good bit of movement will happen!
That is a far larger waitlist than I would have expected. Thanks for the info!

Hm wow this is very different from what I’ve heard thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify, is 100 the total waitlist pool or just utah resident pool? I am in the non-resident pool am wondering what those numbers look like/my chances of getting off.

I asked about the Utah waitlist and this is what they said:

'Thank you for your email. The AAMC waitlist data is accurate. Waitlist outcomes change from year to year. Last year we accepted approximately 40 students from the Utah waitlist and waitlisted approximately 100 Utah residents.'

I would recommend emailing them for out of state info! Takes a few days for them to respond but it definitely helps manage expectations.

I would image the waitlist is larger than previous years due to virtual interviews allowing people to attend more interviews/receive more acceptances. I found other historic waitlist data and it looks like they accepted about 16-30% of their waitlist pre-pandemic.

Also, I've been doing some snooping and it looks like quite a few accepted students are holding onto multiple acceptances, which could be good for us on the WL. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
I’m still salty about getting rejected here. Can’t believe they didn’t even give me an interview. Smh

Reactions: 3 users
Can students commit to enroll at a med school yet? I wonder if there will be waitlist movement before May?

Can students commit to enroll at a med school yet? I wonder if there will be waitlist movement before May?
You can change from Plan to attend to Commit to attend on April 30( first day) and Utah looks for most to Commit that first day. That is the most likely time for movement.

I got an email about the PROMIS2U program, anyone else? Wondering if this is a bad sign

I got an email about the PROMIS2U program, anyone else? Wondering if this is a bad sign
Got one this morning as well. I don’t think it’s a bad sign. From what I’ve heard, I think anyone who got put on the waitlist should get that email at some point.

I haven’t gotten it yet. I did get an email last week from them about applying to pharmacy school tho lol

I haven’t gotten it yet. I did get an email last week from them about applying to pharmacy school tho lol
Yeah so did I - ha. I am really wishing they could give us odds that we will get in this cycle. Makes it hard to apply for new jobs and whatnot.

I’m on the waitlist and haven’t received any emails since the waitlist email… no clue what that means
I think the PROMIS2U program is only relevant for in-state applicants but I might be mistaken.

On the Utah waitlist. Did you guys get an email to receive feedback for your application??

Got one this morning as well. I don’t think it’s a bad sign. From what I’ve heard, I think anyone who got put on the waitlist should get that email at some point.
According to their website, PROMISE2U is given priority to students who faced socioeconomic hardships, grew up in a medically underserved community, and/or is a first-gen college student. So I don't think everyone on the waitlist will get this.

The Idaho legislature voted on a bill which will take effect in Fall of 2023 and have a major financial implication for anyone who is not committed to practicing in Idaho.

From the text of the law here.
This legislation will require Idaho students who enroll in WWAMI Regional Medical Program or the University of Utah School of Medicine to sign a contract with the State Board of Education stipulating that the student will repay monies paid for their education from public funds, unless the student is actively engaged in professional practice in Idaho for four years.

I found out about it via this article summarizing the legislation.

waitlist friends… did anyone receive an email about attending a mentor mixer? trying to figure out if this was intended for students that have been accepted already.

waitlist friends… did anyone receive an email about attending a mentor mixer? trying to figure out if this was intended for students that have been accepted already.
I received this email and still waitlisted

Anyone attending the application feedback sessions? I'm not sure whether to wear something formal or casual, especially because I'm at work.

Has anyone heard about the full tuition scholarship for underrepresented populations? They said we would know by April 15th and I’m so anxious about it :(

I'm sure they will be understanding
Has anyone heard about the full tuition scholarship for underrepresented populations? They said we would know by April 15th and I’m so anxious about it :(
Haven't heard anything yet either. Just two more days, you got this!

Wait they give full ride to underrepresented? That’s new to me. Do you have to apply for it? How does the process work?

Wait they give full ride to underrepresented? That’s new to me. Do you have to apply for it? How does the process work?
The scholarship is open to all accepted students interested in aiding the underserved community. It requires 2 essays and the deadline was about 2 weeks ago. You should have gotten an email if you were accepted.

The scholarship is open to all accepted students interested in aiding the underserved community. It requires 2 essays and the deadline was about 2 weeks ago. You should have gotten an email if you were accepted.
Have the scholarship awardees been notified?

Have the scholarship awardees been notified?
I believe they have until the end of the day on April 15th to get back to us. I have not received an email yet, will update everyone if I hear anything! Best of luck to everyone who applied!

Just heard back, congrats to those who got it!

Any news on Utah’s match list? I haven’t seen anything about it

Does anybody know if UUSOM takes reapplication into account?