2021-2022 Utah

Started by wysdoc
Tags Tags
uusom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got that waitlist email earlier today. OOS applicant with very close ties to the state (lived here for 6 years). LM 75, interviewed in November. Does anyone know how the OOS waitlist works in comparison with the IS waitlist?
They are supposedly two separate waitlists. So I think that in state applicants can only get in state spots and vice versa
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS applicant waitlisted 3/4. Interviewed October. LM 66.9. Does anyone know if they notify the top of the waitlist first, trying to gauge my likelihood of acceptance... was in the middle of planning an out of state move for another school and now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice is welcome!

Edit: misspelling lol
 
Last edited:
IS applicant waitlisted 4/4. Interviewed October. LM 66.9. Does anyone know if they notify the top of the waitlist first, trying to gauge my likelihood of acceptance... was in the middle of planning an out of state move for another school and now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice is welcome!

Edit: misspelling lol
Ya it’s by rank
 
My wording was a bit off, I mean do you think they notify the top of the waitlist that they have been waitlisted first so that they can continue down the line if people do not accept their position on the waitlist. I wish they'd give a little info on the process! Thank you for your help!
No I don’t think they say anything like that :/
 
For anyone wondering, I emailed admissions and they said approx. 100 Utah residents were waitlisted last year and 40 of them were accepted. Not sure if this year will be similar but seems like a good bit of movement will happen!
Hm wow this is very different from what I’ve heard thanks for the info
 
For anyone wondering, I emailed admissions and they said approx. 100 Utah residents were waitlisted last year and 40 of them were accepted. Not sure if this year will be similar but seems like a good bit of movement will happen!
Just to clarify, is 100 the total waitlist pool or just utah resident pool? I am in the non-resident pool am wondering what those numbers look like/my chances of getting off.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I asked about the Utah waitlist and this is what they said:

'Thank you for your email. The AAMC waitlist data is accurate. Waitlist outcomes change from year to year. Last year we accepted approximately 40 students from the Utah waitlist and waitlisted approximately 100 Utah residents.'

I would recommend emailing them for out of state info! Takes a few days for them to respond but it definitely helps manage expectations.

I would image the waitlist is larger than previous years due to virtual interviews allowing people to attend more interviews/receive more acceptances. I found other historic waitlist data and it looks like they accepted about 16-30% of their waitlist pre-pandemic.

Also, I've been doing some snooping and it looks like quite a few accepted students are holding onto multiple acceptances, which could be good for us on the WL. Hope this helps!
 
Got one this morning as well. I don’t think it’s a bad sign. From what I’ve heard, I think anyone who got put on the waitlist should get that email at some point.
According to their website, PROMISE2U is given priority to students who faced socioeconomic hardships, grew up in a medically underserved community, and/or is a first-gen college student. So I don't think everyone on the waitlist will get this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Idaho legislature voted on a bill which will take effect in Fall of 2023 and have a major financial implication for anyone who is not committed to practicing in Idaho.

From the text of the law here.
This legislation will require Idaho students who enroll in WWAMI Regional Medical Program or the University of Utah School of Medicine to sign a contract with the State Board of Education stipulating that the student will repay monies paid for their education from public funds, unless the student is actively engaged in professional practice in Idaho for four years.

I found out about it via this article summarizing the legislation.
 
waitlist friends… did anyone receive an email about attending a mentor mixer? trying to figure out if this was intended for students that have been accepted already.
 
Anyone attending the application feedback sessions? I'm not sure whether to wear something formal or casual, especially because I'm at work.
 
Has anyone heard about the full tuition scholarship for underrepresented populations? They said we would know by April 15th and I’m so anxious about it 🙁
 
Has anyone heard about the full tuition scholarship for underrepresented populations? They said we would know by April 15th and I’m so anxious about it 🙁
Wait they give full ride to underrepresented? That’s new to me. Do you have to apply for it? How does the process work?
 
Wait they give full ride to underrepresented? That’s new to me. Do you have to apply for it? How does the process work?
The scholarship is open to all accepted students interested in aiding the underserved community. It requires 2 essays and the deadline was about 2 weeks ago. You should have gotten an email if you were accepted.
 
The scholarship is open to all accepted students interested in aiding the underserved community. It requires 2 essays and the deadline was about 2 weeks ago. You should have gotten an email if you were accepted.
Have the scholarship awardees been notified?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad