2021-2022 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @florida99 for sharing the secondary questions!

2021-2022 Wake Forest Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us one experience that enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from it. (200 words or less)

2. Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it. (200 words or less)

3. From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process? (200 words or less)

4. Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest School of Medicine. (150 words or less)

5. Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. (50 words or less)

6. If there is anything specific that you would like for us to know regarding how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected you and your application you may do so here.(200 words or less.) (Please note that this is optional. Also, please do not repeat any information provided in your previous required responses.)

***See also a note from someone in admin at Wake Forest here: #8 *****

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For everyone considering applying, here's last cycle's secondary questions:
  • We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us one experience that enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from it. 200 words.
  • Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it. 200 words.
  • From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process? 200 words.
  • Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest School of Medicine. 150 words.
  • Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. 50 words.
  • If there is anything specific that you would like for us to know regarding how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected you and your application you may do so here. 200 words.

Reactions: 5 users
Took the MCAT last cycle and got a 500. Low undergraduate GPA of 3.2 but completed Masters Program at Wake Forest and had 3.7 GPA. Retook MCAT and waiting on new score. Thoughts on chances of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the MCAT last cycle and got a 500. Low undergraduate GPA of 3.2 but completed Masters Program at Wake Forest and had 3.7 GPA. Retook MCAT and waiting on new score. Thoughts on chances of acceptance?
I should add I have ample shadowing hours, as well as currently a clinical research coordinator.

I noticed on Wake Forest's page that they said all applicants should complete the Altius suite, although Snapshot won't be considered.

What are you guys planning on doing? I don't want to take Snapshot just for Wake, and risk other schools seeing them along with CASPer score, just in case it isn't that great. Would it be fine just taking CASPer and Duet?

I noticed on Wake Forest's page that they said all applicants should complete the Altius suite, although Snapshot won't be considered.

What are you guys planning on doing? I don't want to take Snapshot just for Wake, and risk other schools seeing them along with CASPer score, just in case it isn't that great. Would it be fine just taking CASPer and Duet?
I'm gonna take everything just in case any school tries to switch up last minute. I heard that both Snapshot and Duet aren't that difficult and they each take at most 15 minutes to do.

Reactions: 1 users
I did both. They were easy. One is just trying to see what your interest are. Like diversity or underserved community’s things like that. And the other is like a video interview. I would choose them over ca$per if I could. I was put in the 2nd quartile for my ca$per and now I’m ready to give up and the cycle just started 😭

Hello from Winston-Salem! I will not be able to spend much time here during the cycle but thought I would drop by and leave some thoughts about our process.

First, congratulations on getting this far in your pre-med journey. From leading the way on social progress to serving your communities to demonstrating resiliency with grace during a pandemic, I can't say enough about how impressed I am with your generation.

Secondary application:
This year we will not send a secondary application unless you meet our initial screening academic metrics as listed in MSAR. Seems only fair and transparent.

Timing:
Any advantage gained by submitting your primary and secondary application sooner rather than later is small at best as we have a truly rolling admissions process in which everyone is evaluated by the same criteria. Quality of the secondary application is far, far more important than when it is submitted, so pay attention to detail and use your best material for this "elevator pitch".

This may be hard to hear on your end but go into the admissions process expecting that it could take a full year to play out. One might submit an application on day 1, receive an interview invitation in March, and gain acceptance off of the waitlist in June. We will try to send an occasional update but we are fortunate to have thousands of terrific applications to sort through and any diversion of attention and energy will only slow us down. So if you haven't heard from us assume your candidacy is still under consideration. If for some reason you have a limit on how long you would like to remain under consideration I suppose you can always let us know.

Early Decision:
If you are truly passionate about WFSM and would like to reduce the vagaries of the review process and avoid the extended calendar of the general admissions cycle then the Early Decision pathway may be a great option.

Altus Suite:
Casper is a minor but useful part of our process. We are curious how Duet could fit into our future plans but it does not yet have an official role for us this year. That being said please take it seriously as it requires a minimal investment of time and effort and you might learn a bit about yourself in the process. We will not be utilizing Snapshot at all.

Preferences:
As a private institution we have no weighted preference for in-state vs. out-of-state. Same for "traditional" vs. "non-traditional", whatever those terms mean. Re-applicants are treated the same as first timers. What matters is how you present your case.

Interviews:
Interviews will start with our Early Decision candidates in late August and run through early March. This will be a virtual MMI process with opportunities for accepted and waitlisted applicants to visit us in person during open houses scheduled throughout the winter. We anticipate continuing this format into the future as it has been a real win-win for applicants and us. More details to come on the interview and campus visits.

Charlotte:
Some of you may have heard that we will be opening a new four year regional campus in Charlotte as part of our partnership with Atrium Health. The plan is for the first class to start there summer 2024. We are not accepting applications for the Charlotte campus this cycle.

I will try to check in down the road and see if any common issues I can help clarify. Until then good luck and thank you for considering the Wake Forest School of Medicine!
DR

Reactions: 23 users
Wake Forest's secondary from last year asked if you have previously applied to any MD programs. If I have only previously applied to MD/PhD programs would I answer this yes or no? Thanks!

+1 secondary received. Anyone know if they will account a master's program BCPM GPA to meet that 3.2 cutoff? Mine is not a SMP but I used it for GPA repair (Master's in Biology/Neuroscience).

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the secondary questions?

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone post the secondary questions?
1. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us one experience that enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from it. (200 words or less)

2. Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it.(200 words or less)

3. From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process?(200 words or less)

4. Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest School of Medicine.(150 words or less)

5. Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting.(50 words or less)

6. If there is anything specific that you would like for us to know regarding how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected you and your application you may do so here.(200 words or less.) (Please note that this is optional. Also, please do not repeat any information provided in your previous required responses.)

Reactions: 1 users
I did both. They were easy. One is just trying to see what your interest are. Like diversity or underserved community’s things like that. And the other is like a video interview. I would choose them over ca$per if I could. I was put in the 2nd quartile for my ca$per and now I’m ready to give up and the cycle just started 😭
How o you know how you did on the casper and what that means? I thought they didn't disclose results

I thought they didn't let you know how you did. How did you find that info out?

I thought they didn't let you know how you did. How did you find that info out?
They tell you this year. You are given a quartile ranking about one month after you take the test.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received earlier today!

Question - for the previous application essay (optional essay), is it asking about what has specifically changed between applications from only the last cycle/most recent unsuccessful cycle? Or from all previous attempts?

They screen at 502 I believe

"Have you ever been an employee, student, or volunteer at Wake Forest Baptist Health or an applicant/student in any Wake Forest School of Medicine program (MD, Graduate Studies, Academic Nursing, PA Studies)?"

Is this asking if I am a reapplicant?

I thought they didn't let you know how you did. How did you find that info

sorry for the delay but yeah it takes about a month, then they send you an email telling you the results are available. 4th quartile is the top.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum with with the optional COVID question. The secondary instructions say not to disclose your MCAT or GPA because reviewers don't have access to your application, but then they ask how COVID affected your application. How do I describe the effect of COVID on my application without revealing information from my application...?

I'm in a bit of a conundrum with with the optional COVID question. The secondary instructions say not to disclose your MCAT or GPA because reviewers don't have access to your application, but then they ask how COVID affected your application. How do I describe the effect of COVID on my application without revealing information from my application...?
I would just be vague about how it affected your grades or Mcat and then focus on how it affected your activities maybe?

They also ask for an explanation of any grades grades at or below C+. Dunno what they want from me.

"Have you ever been an employee, student, or volunteer at Wake Forest Baptist Health or an applicant/student in any Wake Forest School of Medicine program (MD, Graduate Studies, Academic Nursing, PA Studies)?"

Is this asking if I am a reapplicant?
I am wondering this as well... The way it's worded has me leaning towards yes.

On the wake secondary, they say that reviewers don’t have access to our full primary app with ps and activities. Does anyone know if the secondary reviewers are totally blind or if they have access to some parts of the primary? It totally blind, I am leaning towards repeating a theme from my w/a section as I think it fits really well with one of the secondary q’s

On the wake secondary, they say that reviewers don’t have access to our full primary app with ps and activities. Does anyone know if the secondary reviewers are totally blind or if they have access to some parts of the primary? It totally blind, I am leaning towards repeating a theme from my w/a section as I think it fits really well with one of the secondary q’s
Where exactly does it say that in the secondary?

Where exactly does it say that in the secondary?
At the top of the Required Questions page in the secondary portal: "Application reviewers do not have access to your full AMCAS application with personal statement and experiences when reviewing your secondary application."

Took the Casper on June 3 and my checklist still says that my Casper has not been delivered to Wake. Anyone else having this problem?

Reactions: 3 users
Took the Casper on June 3 and my checklist still says that my Casper has not been delivered to Wake. Anyone else having this problem?
mine also says that! but it takes 2-3 weeks for scores to be distributed to schools after you take the test, and I think it can take 7-14 days after they get the score to process it, so I would say it's ok

@DeaconBlue do you know the answer to this?

From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process?
did anyone recount their experience in a different light on the question or jump right into the why?

Has anyone submitted the secondary, but still see that your CASPer score hasn't been received?

Has anyone submitted the secondary, but still see that your CASPer score hasn't been received?
We have not started loading CASPer scores into our system for the 2022 application cycle. We will start loading those sometime towards the end of next week. Please check back in 2 weeks if you have not heard anything.

Reactions: 9 users
We have not started loading CASPer scores into our system for the 2022 application cycle. We will start loading those sometime towards the end of next week. Please check back in 2 weeks if you have not heard anything.
Would you guys consider virtual shadowing hours if the person has a health care job that interacts with doctors but cannot get any of them to let them shadow in person?

Thank you!

Me too, I’ve been going through my email. I might email admissions today
When I submitted mine, it said at the top to bookmark that page so you can come back to it since the email link will no longer work. My bookmarked page works but not the email link. Maybe you can get back to it through your computer's web history?

When I submitted mine, it said at the top to bookmark that page so you can come back to it since the email link will no longer work. My bookmarked page works but not the email link. Maybe you can get back to it through your computer's web history?

Huh I don’t remember seeing that! Thanks so much though I’ll try it tonight

Huh I don’t remember seeing that! Thanks so much though I’ll try it tonight
I went through my history looking for "applyweb" and one of them took me to the "Activity for [my name]" page where you can access the checklist. It doesn't seem like they have a place to see if all materials were received. Correct me if I'm wrong.

From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process?
did anyone recount their experience in a different light on the question or jump right into the why?
I also unclear as to what to do.... my most meaningful activity on my primary sounds like exactly what the question is asking for ...