2021-2022 Western Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @super1388 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Western Michigan Secondary Essay Prompts: ** there are also some online assessment questions to answer**

"Please answer the three essay questions. You will be limited to 2000 characters for each essay question. This section is not timed. You may want to work on your responses offline in a word processor and then paste your responses in the answer box. If you are reapplying, please replace your previous essays with an updated response. DO NOT BE CONCERNED WITH WORD WRAPPING AND PARAGRAPH SPACING

1) Describe why you wish to enroll at WMed. You should describe any connection you have to southwest Michigan.

2) Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.

3) The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the world in an unprecedented way. If COVID-19 impacted you, your academic plan, or your planned experiences, and you have not noted elsewhere, please detail below.

4) WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe the changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes."

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
What is the screen here? If you look on the 2020-2021 there are people with LizzyM ~70s not getting 2ndaries. Does anybody know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am OOS and have not received one. But there seems to be a screen for it which is why I'm asking. There are people with like LizzyM 73+ in the 2020-2021 thread who were rejected pre secondary
"Applicants who meet minimum academic criteria: GPA of 3.0 or above and MCAT score of 497 or above." From WMed MSAR

"Applicants who meet minimum academic criteria: GPA of 3.0 or above and MCAT score of 497 or above." From WMed MSAR
yeah i know about that lol again people were still getting rejected pre secondary in spite of that which is really weird and I am wondering if anybody knows why

Here is a copy and paste of the prompts!

"Please answer the three essay questions. You will be limited to 2000 characters for each essay question. This section is not timed. You may want to work on your responses offline in a word processor and then paste your responses in the answer box. If you are reapplying, please replace your previous essays with an updated response. DO NOT BE CONCERNED WITH WORD WRAPPING AND PARAGRAPH SPACING

1) Describe why you wish to enroll at WMed. You should describe any connection you have to southwest Michigan.

2) Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.

3) The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the world in an unprecedented way. If COVID-19 impacted you, your academic plan, or your planned experiences, and you have not noted elsewhere, please detail below.

4) WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe the changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes."

Members don't see this ad :)
So I received an email saying that they would send out secondaries, but have not received the secondary yet. Anyone else?

Reactions: 2 users
Any one else having trouble with line breaks? Unsure of how to separate my paragraphs

Edit: It literally says 'DO NOT BE CONCERNED WITH WORD WRAPPING AND PARAGRAPH SPACING' lol so I'm guessing I'm good

Anyone else think their online assessment was weirdly…fun?:rofl:

Completed the app and assessment Friday, got the complete email today

Anyone else having trouble checking the status of their app? Every time I go to "I consent to Electronic Communication" it just takes me back to the "review your data" page

Anyone else having trouble checking the status of their app? Every time I go to "I consent to Electronic Communication" it just takes me back to the "review your data" page
+1 same happening to me

EDIT: The portal works fine now after I finished the online assessment.

Last edited:
Question: my portal was fine when I first logged in, now it's like a status screen as though I've already submitted my secondary (which I haven't) I've tried it on Safari and google chrome... any ideas on how to get back to the portal where i fill out the secondary info when I log in?

Sorta interested, but do any of yall have a delay between the date supplemental app was offered and the date you actually got the email to fill it out? Wondering cause under my Applicant status in the portal, it says that I was offered the supplemental app 3 days before I actually got the email.

Submitted yesterday, received complete email today.

FYI I emailed the admissions office and they told me that the reapplicant essay only applies to WMed reapps. So if you have applied before but not to Wmich it doesn't apply to you.

Sorta interested, but do any of yall have a delay between the date supplemental app was offered and the date you actually got the email to fill it out? Wondering cause under my Applicant status in the portal, it says that I was offered the supplemental app 3 days before I actually got the email.
+1, but I submitted the day I actually got it so I don't think it really matters

2000 characters each:

4) WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe the changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes.

How long after submitting the secondary essays did you all receive the email to complete the online assessment?

How long after submitting the secondary essays did you all receive the email to complete the online assessment?
I just submitted my secondary application - it bugged out a ton. I never got an email confirmation saying that I finished my app nor did I get an online assessment

I just submitted my secondary application - it bugged out a ton. I never got an email confirmation saying that I finished my app nor did I get an online assessment

Could it be that we submitted on a weekend and we will get the confirmation and online assessment on Monday?

Could it be that we submitted on a weekend and we will get the confirmation and online assessment on Monday?
I'm not too sure. If other people got their online assessment immediately after submission, I feel like its automated so it shouldn't matter if its on the weekend or not. I'll probably give it a couple of days before I email the admissions office for clarification.

I just submitted my secondary app, then it logged me out and said there was an error processing it. When I tried to log back in, it said to complete the online assessment, but I was not able to submit that without another error message. When I signed in a third time, it just shows a welcome page with today's weather. I have no idea if my app went through.

I just submitted my secondary app, then it logged me out and said there was an error processing it. When I tried to log back in, it said to complete the online assessment, but I was not able to submit that without another error message. When I signed in a third time, it just shows a welcome page with today's weather. I have no idea if my app went through.
Mine also is doing this when I log in but I haven't submitted my secondary yet. It looks like there's some sort of problem with the site since I can't even access the secondary anymore

Does WMed send an email once the entire app is complete? My portal says nothing about my LORs but everything else seems to be received.

Does WMed send an email once the entire app is complete? My portal says nothing about my LORs but everything else seems to be received.
I got a complete email one business day after everything and the assessment were finished!