2022-2023 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the secondary application it asks us to list our clinical experiences and shadowing again, from the AACOMAS app. Did you guys just copy paste your description for each activities?
yepppp

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Come to ATSU-SOMA if you want the following:

✅A new dean almost every year - our previous Dean was in her position for a whopping 11 months

✅A brand new untested curriculum

✅Sudden curriculum changes in the middle of a course

✅High tuition for a curriculum where you essentially teach yourself medicine - when the school was asked why tuition was so high during the COVID-19 lockdown, their response was "Zoom is more expensive than having in-person classes" o m e g a l u l.

✅New faculty hired to replace the massive wave of professors who left the previous year

✅An administration that disregards feedback and complaints from students and even professors - force professors and deans out of their positions because they disagree with policies

✅Take exams that focus on minutiae from PhD professors’ research despite promises to 'teach to the boards' - you also can't review your exams when you get your grade back because they're too lazy to hold feedback sessions.

✅Multiple mandatory 8-hour Kaplan practice exams (which don't even reflect the boards) - you also can't review your exams when you get your grade back

✅Declining board pass rates – 10 students failed COMLEX last year (and board pass rates haven't been published recently 🤔)

✅No board dedicated time – instead go to class up to 5x a week, review OMM material for several hours (because that's more important than anything else), and have school exams up until May. The school expects you to take boards at the end of May (lmao)

✅Being discouraged from taking USMLE step 1 'because primary care residencies don't need it' and 'you're a DO student'

✅Being threatened to take COMLEX level 1 before July 1 or else you have explain yourself to the Student Performance Committee - a negative mark goes onto your MSPE

✅Being forced to do a useless research project in second year on top of clinic, 3 classes, and board studying

✅Being a slave in a clinic in second year – shadow doctors for 8 hours per week for no grade while exams are around the corner

✅Take a useless epidemiology/biostats course for the entirety of second year in which the course contents can be summarized in an email

✅Feeling isolated and having no support from the school in year 2 and beyond

✅Laughable mental health services – being told they can’t help you because they’re unlicensed in your particular state

✅Receive threats of expulsion from the school for 1 poor quiz/exam performance

✅Participate in countless hours of stupid wellness meetings during critical periods (like right before an exam) because "yOuR mEnTaL hEaLtH iS iMpOrTaNt tO uS"

✅Have OMM shoved down your throats by professors who drank the osteopathy Kool-Aid

✅Have insecure rotation spots and living in fear that you may have to rotate 100’s of miles away because the school can't keep their end of the deal. The Texas CHC was shutdown in the midst of the pandemic because the school failed to take the necessary steps to get approved by the state and clinical sites. Luckily it was resolved months later. The NY CHC failed to renew their partnership with NYU Langone for rotation spots. They were forced to partner with Wyckoff Heights Medical Center as a last resort. Not long ago, Wyckoff severed ties with ATSU out of the blue, forcing the 3rd and 4th year students out of their rotations. ATSU considered sending students to other CHC locations across the country, but luckily that was resolved too. Who knows what's next?

✅Participate in meetings upon, meetings upon, meetings upon, meetings upon, meetings upon, meetings upon meetings

✅Have fear instilled in you and then participate in meetings about "speaking up" - those that actually speak up then sit in front a council for unprofessionalism

✅Being forced to move up to 3 times in less than 2 years with no support from the school - some students are paying 2 leases in very expensive cities (some have to take private loans to cover the cost of living)

✅Potentially live in poverty because the school will not adjust loans based on the cost-of-living and inflation. Imagine maxing out your loans, any only getting ~$35k to live in a major city like Chicago or NYC where annual rent cost is upwards of $30k.

✅Being forced to enroll in the school's crappy health insurance plan with ridiculous co-pays in 3rd and 4th year because "Medicaid doesn't provide enough coverage" and "Medicaid doesn't cross state-lines." The school insurance actually excludes mental health coverage (l m a o) which Medicaid covers (and a lot more). Here's a kicker - the school's insurance plan doesn't cover abortion unless it was due to rape or incest. That's just one of the asinine exclusions that the insurance plan has. The majority of students plan on doing their away rotations in a state where their Medicaid plan is valid, however the school still won't accept it for reasons unknown. For those who are actually going out-of-state for away rotations, the school forbids temporary coverage for those weeks. It's another $4000 per year going into the school's pockets on top of your increasing tuition fees.

✅Being forced to take a poorly written practice exam that has a notoriously bad predictive value just 2 weeks into your limited "dedicated" time (the few quiet weeks in May when the school finally leaves us the f**k alone). Just as you're about to take COMSAE you receive threats of expulsion for failing. This is straight from Dr. Coty:

Ironic that this is coming from a man who holds a PhD in anatomy and has never taken a medical board exam in his life. How is he responsible for ensuring that we pass the boards? His policies are so stupid that LECOM Bradenton (his former school in which he utterly sabotaged) made a website dedicated to his stupidity. You can read about it here: LECOM-a-SUTRA (Search results for: coty) (tumblr.com)

Some highlights from the previous year's thread:

Some gems from reddit:​

Do yourself a favor and don't come here.

ATSU leadership should be embarrassed.

Wow. I graduated three years ago and this was not my experience at all. Sure, there were some issues, but overall it was a great experience. I think I had 7 ish weeks of dedicated study before step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it possible for someone to share the secondary prompts for this year's cycle please? I just applied and am awaiting a secondary invite.

Is it possible for someone to share the secondary prompts for this year's cycle please? I just applied and am awaiting a secondary invite.
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

ATSU-SOMA’s osteopathic medical education model includes training at one of our partner Community Health Center (CHC) sites.
1) Describe any previous CHC or free clinic experience that you have had. 2) Describe how learning at a CHC will enhance your osteopathic medical school experience.

Describe any gaps that lasted longer than three months that may have occurred during or following undergraduate/posttgraduate educational programs.

ATSU-SOMA emphasizes self-directed learning in small group sessions. What experiences have you had that will help you be successful in this educational model?

Describe any hrs/week of employment that may have coincided/impacted your academic work during each semester.

Which field of osteopathic medicine are you interested in pursuing? Explain why you chose this field.

Describe what you have learned from your experiences with osteopathic physicians. If you do not have any of the above, please explain why you are applying to an osteopathic medical school.

Describe your understanding of SOMA by answering ONE of the following questions:
- What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?
- What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?
- How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?

Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate:

(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

ATSU-SOMA’s osteopathic medical education model includes training at one of our partner Community Health Center (CHC) sites.
1) Describe any previous CHC or free clinic experience that you have had. 2) Describe how learning at a CHC will enhance your osteopathic medical school experience.

Describe any gaps that lasted longer than three months that may have occurred during or following undergraduate/posttgraduate educational programs.

ATSU-SOMA emphasizes self-directed learning in small group sessions. What experiences have you had that will help you be successful in this educational model?

Describe any hrs/week of employment that may have coincided/impacted your academic work during each semester.

Which field of osteopathic medicine are you interested in pursuing? Explain why you chose this field.

Describe what you have learned from your experiences with osteopathic physicians. If you do not have any of the above, please explain why you are applying to an osteopathic medical school.

Describe your understanding of SOMA by answering ONE of the following questions:
- What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?
- What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?
- How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?

Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate:

Thanks!

OMS1 here. Please do your research on PBL and self teaching material (that also involves self curriculum development) before applying to this school. I am slowly figuring out this method of learning isn't working out for me.

Reactions: 5 users
4) Describe any hrs/week of employment that may have coincided/impacted your academic work during each semester.:

if you were not employed throughout undergrad and only volunteered/interned at places did you still write this essay or just leave it blank?

OMS1 here. Please do your research on PBL and self teaching material (that also involves self curriculum development) before applying to this school. I am slowly figuring out this method of learning isn't working out for me.
OMS-1 here as well. If you already do not have a strong foundation in the basic sciences, I strongly recommend to either not apply here or use this year to sharpen your basic science skills because you will essentially be paying over $60K to teach yourself medical school. You will be provided with no lectures and no basic science curriculum foundation. In retrospect, had I known that I would have been expected to teach myself medical school, I would have not committed to this school.

Reactions: 8 users
OMS-1 here as well. If you already do not have a strong foundation in the basic sciences, I strongly recommend to either not apply here or use this year to sharpen your basic science skills because you will essentially be paying over $60K to teach yourself medical school. You will be provided with no lectures and no basic science curriculum foundation. In retrospect, had I known that I would have been expected to teach myself medical school, I would have not committed to this school.
how are the small groups / PBL groups structured -- and what are the expectations for small group? how is testing done?

how long did it take to get marked complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
how are the small groups / PBL groups structured -- and what are the expectations for small group? how is testing done?
We are all put into groups of about 7, and given a faculty member that acts as a facilitator. On Monday, we are presented with a case and not really given any direction on what to look for, it is up to us to find what basic science mechanisms are behind the case given to us. Throughout the week, we look through all our textbooks and scramble to find information that would be pertinent to the case. It is frustrating because we don’t know how in depth to go with the basic science and the mechanisms, and each group has a different set of self-made objectives. There is no real structure with some groups getting more help than others from facilitators. As of right now, I am not sure how the first exam will go as it is next week- but many students are feeling uneasy due to the lack of structure.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not saying this to steer people from the school though, many schools are actually transitioning to PBL. If it works for you-go for it. I do see the benefit. I didn't do my research to truly understand what it was. Also, during my interview, they kept denying that their curriculum was PBL style which was also misleading. But doing your research and seeing what works for you is applicable for any medical school you apply to. Just wanted to put that out there.

Omg similar MCAT to me!! And wow that fast of an II turnaround? How long did it take for you to get marked complete? I submitted 8/3
Nvm guys my mistake! I submitted my secondary on 6/25 and was marked complete on 7/7 but on 8/10 was when all my letters were finally sent. Then received the interview invite on 8/11. Sorry I had to search for that “completed” email lol

Just got marked complete! Do they add letters in later or?

It seems like they are reviewing applications that were marked complete this month. Shouldn't they be reviewing applicants that were marked complete in June and July? I have yet to see anyone marked complete in June or July get an II. Is this school not doing rolling admissions?

Nvm guys my mistake! I submitted my secondary on 6/25 and was marked complete on 7/7 but on 8/10 was when all my letters were finally sent. Then received the interview invite on 8/11. Sorry I had to search for that “completed” email lol
That’s still insane because technically that means you were complete 8/10?

Does anyone know what the interview format is like? Traditional? MMI?

Anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate is like?

Yes, I got an II. How should I best prepare
Haha unfortunately I’m not the best to ask in that but I’d try to use the interview feedback for this school on the top! Stats by any chance and when were you marked complete? Congrats!

Yes, I got an II. How should I best prepare
I’m preparing by understanding the difference in their curriculum, how they structure the different years like going to a CHC in 2nd year. Solidifying my reasons for wanting to work in an underserved community, etc. It’s important to understand the schools mission and how you align with that mission because I’m sure that’s what they’re looking for in an interview.

Anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate is?

Anyone know what the post interview acceptance rate is?
Looking at numbers from previous years and their facts sheet it’s something like 44% post-interview acceptance. Someone correct me if they know otherwise.