2022-2023 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if we should expect any pre matches to be sent out (from Baylor or in general) on Oct 15 since it is a Saturday?
Don't know. But Baylor said they are only going to offer ~75 prematch offers this cycle at the interview last Friday. That is probably 1/4 of their admits so they are likely going to be light on prematch offers compared to UTSW who from what I've heard fills their class mostly through prematch.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't know. But Baylor said they are only going to offer ~75 prematch offers this cycle at the interview last Friday. That is probably 1/4 of their admits so they are likely going to be light on prematch offers compared to UTSW who from what I've heard fills their class mostly through prematch.
Yeah from the MS1s who I spoke with on interview day, it seems most students were admitted on Match day.

Does anyone know if we should expect any pre matches to be sent out (from Baylor or in general) on Oct 15 since it is a Saturday?
For OOS applicants , do you guys think they will send acceptances on the 15th ?

Members don't see this ad :)

According to last year’s SDN thread, prematches from Baylor were sent at the end of each month beginning in November (Nov 30, Dec 21, Jan 20).

Last edited:
They joined TMDSAS only last year but they followed their original process from the past of offering their first admissions only late November in 2021. Would be surprising if they did anything in October.

Reactions: 1 user
Question about this Baylor requirement if any current students can offer input:
  • Humanities-Social/Behavioral Sciences (12 semester hours) Examples: psychology, sociology, anthropology, foreign languages, ethics, philosophy, theology, literature, art history
I for certain have at least 9/12 of these credits. I'm wondering if my last 3 hour course counts towards the psychology subject. It is an upper level biology course that is also cross listed as a psychology course: Brain and Behavior. I have asked my undergrad advisor, but she isn't sure. Would it be appropriate to contact the interview email for this prior to any acceptance offers? I just checked through my uni portal and the class is currently listed as either BIOL 3322 OR PSYCH 3322 for the exact same class section/ prof, etc.
I would just contact the school about this

I can but I would like to avoid the cost if I dont have to because I may already meet the requirement. I was asking now because spring enrollment deadlines are also going to be coming up soon. I will contact the school. Thanks!
Did you already list it under sciences and TMDSAS is listing it as biology on your approved transcript?

I see that TMDSAS per say does not try to list non-science classes as approved to meet English or liberal arts to meet specific school requirements and they are only looking at sciences and stats.

The schools are pretty lenient if you are admitted. For someone, both Dell and UTSW signed off biomedical engineering labs as acceptable replacements for biology lab after admission although TMDSAS would not.

II just now. 71 LM ORM IS Reapplicant. I nearly broke down in tears in the elevator out of work while reading the email. I do not have great stats and had zero IIs last cycle, so this was truly unexpected. I am just ecstatic right now.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
II a few minutes ago. LM 73. ORM. Complete 9/19. Super surprised given how late I was complete.

Reactions: 4 users
omg II just now! I submitted back in early June and thought I was rejected for sure!! So so excited!!

Reactions: 3 users
II just now. 71 LM ORM IS Reapplicant. I nearly broke down in tears in the elevator out of work while reading the email. I do not have great stats and had zero IIs last cycle, so this was truly unexpected. I am just ecstatic right now.
Same exact situation as you. LM 71 ORM IS Reapplicant who interviewed here. Make sure you show baylor the person they fell in love with on paper during interview day! I'm rooting for you!

Same exact situation as you. LM 71 ORM IS Reapplicant who interviewed here. Make sure you show baylor the person they fell in love with on paper during interview day! I'm rooting for you!
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
open house was dope, everyone was really cool to speak to and the administration seemed really chilled out. Speaking to the other interviewees though, I didn’t really hear anyone saying that they wanted to go to temple. Im excited about temple but at the same time I’m a little worried that going to Baylor - Temple campus wouldn’t be equivalent to Baylor in Houston or UTSW in the eyes of residency directors.

Can anyone shine any light on how branch campuses like this are usually viewed?

open house was dope, everyone was really cool to speak to and the administration seemed really chilled out. Speaking to the other interviewees though, I didn’t really hear anyone saying that they wanted to go to temple. Im excited about temple but at the same time I’m a little worried that going to Baylor - Temple campus wouldn’t be equivalent to Baylor in Houston or UTSW in the eyes of residency directors.

No other Texas schools have had a branch campus that people stay at all 4 years.
Mayo medical school opened a second branch in Arizona and then a third in Florida, with initial grumbling but seems smooth now.

my opinion - It will still carry the Baylor name, and it will all be fine.
Also, the people you were speaking to were at the Houston open house. Who is going to say in front of their tour guides that they don't want Houston?

Last edited:
No other Texas schools have had a branch campus that people stay at all 4 years.
Mayo medical school opened a second branch in Arizona and then a third in Florida, with initial grumbling but seems smooth now.

Also, the people you were speaking to were at the Houston open house. Who is going to say in front of their tour guides that they don't want Houston?

I attended today as well. To your last point, you would be surprised. I think the tour guides were pushing Temple more than anyone, and for good reason. As randompremed mentioned, there was a good deal of apprehension towards Temple floating in the air. That being said, the tour guides were all fantastic and did a great job.

That is true, it was the houston open house. I’d assume there would be a lot more excitement demonstrated at the Temple open house. There were some people who seemed to express hesitation around temple campus in front of the tour guides which was interesting. I was really referring to my private conversations with other applicants at the tour but it’s a pretty small sample size.

One of the tour guides said he’d expect something like 15-20 students to rank temple as a preference. That’s something that is likely a random guesstimate though.

Thank you for the info about Mayo as well! It helps clear things up a lot and makes me think that temple would be a solid option for me if I’m lucky enough to be accepted.

What are the tour guides in relation to school - students or faculty?

What are the tour guides in relation to school - students or faculty?
Students. They made very clear that they have absolutely no influence on our admissions decisions.

I agree with the people above. The people most enthusiastic about Temple were the tour guides/student panelists. They kept saying “Oh we have people interested in Temple”, but I’ve yet to meet someone like that in real life or online, so who knows.

I really wish we could rank the two campuses separately in TMDSAS. No matter how much they push the “one school two campus” narrative, at the end of the day Temple and Houston are such different cities. I mean you ask any BCM why they chose the school and the TMC is always brought up…

I personally will rank McGovern over Baylor. On a positive note, the tour was really great and all the students were very kind and helpful.

I’m actually really excited about the Temple campus and personally that’s my 1st choice. Do you guys think it’s worth writing a letter of intent and including that? Or should I just wait until Oct. 15 (OOS applicant ) ?

Students. They made very clear that they have absolutely no influence on our admissions decisions.

I agree with the people above. The people most enthusiastic about Temple were the tour guides/student panelists. They kept saying “Oh we have people interested in Temple”, but I’ve yet to meet someone like that in real life or online, so who knows.

I really wish we could rank the two campuses separately in TMDSAS. No matter how much they push the “one school two campus” narrative, at the end of the day Temple and Houston are such different cities. I mean you ask any BCM why they chose the school and the TMC is always brought up…

I personally will rank McGovern over Baylor. On a positive note, the tour was really great and all the students were very kind and helpful.
It is surprising to hear current students being excited about Temple campus. It is not like they were there or will be going there.

To be fair, the student guides weren’t pushing Temple unsolicited. The highlight of their presentation was the new 1 year pre clinical curriculum. However, interviewees asked lots of questions about Temple so naturally, the discussion shifted a bit. I really hope people tour both campuses; I know I am. I estimate Temple to really exceed people’s expectations.

I’m actually really excited about the Temple campus and personally that’s my 1st choice. Do you guys think it’s worth writing a letter of intent and including that? Or should I just wait until Oct. 15 (OOS applicant ) ?
Since the Baylor team has said that campus assignments aren't being made now but later in the application cycle, let them know your opinion a little later. Did you talk about it on your interview day?

Reactions: 2 users
Since the Baylor team has said that campus assignments aren't being made now but later in the application cycle, let them know your opinion a little later. Did you talk about it on your interview day?
Yes, I tried to slide my interest in during both of my interviews.

can't answer your question, but looking to attend the january 21 open house. is it totally weird and embarrassing for my mom to come with me? what's the vibe

can't answer your question, but looking to attend the january 21 open house. is it totally weird and embarrassing for my mom to come with me? what's the vibe
Per @skeptastic Dell likes moms but not so sure what Baylor vibe is. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The email said we can’t bring any guests with us so i don’t think you are able to, sorry :/

@wysdoc mentioned Mayo but Mayo is quite distinct in terms of how each of their schools are quite small - The main campus only has 40 seats and Arizona and Florida have 30 each (?). This is more like how Columbia started a Bassett campus and NYU started a Long Island campus, much smaller than the main ones.

The focus at Temple will be closer to training people to work in underserved areas (I am guessing) since they are training high school students at many of the underserved areas. They are also creating rural residency programs.

"Several graduates from Texas Magnet School Affiliates have entered Baylor and The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley’s B.S./M.D. program, or the Joint Admissions Medical Program."

But one can not discount temple as a great place for residencies and fellowships. I have bumped into cardiologists, internists, hemotologists and so on in the recent past who have all been trained in Temple. Going to Temple should allow you to have access those programs by default (they were all A&Ms not sure if they stay that way).

Bottom line, Temple will be a great addition by the time they graduate their first batch just as Dell and Rio Grande are, UH will soon be and UTT and Temple will be the newcomers. The main difference in year 1 is that those who want to go to UT Tyler are doing so voluntarily while BCM is not giving the same choice upfront to people who may truly want to be at Temple while letting the rest who are only interested in Houston have a choice before prematch. Those applying to Bassett (Columbia) and Long Island (NYU) apply separately so interest is clear while BCM is not giving that option or making one's intentions clear before prematch.

Last edited:
@wysdoc mentioned Mayo but Mayo is quite distinct in terms of how each of their schools are quite small - The main campus only has 40 seats and Arizona and Florida have 30 each (?). This is more like how Columbia started a Bassett campus and NYU started a Long Island campus, much smaller than the main ones.

The focus at Temple will be closer to training people to work in underserved areas (I am guessing) since they are training high school students at many of the underserved areas. They are also creating rural residency programs.

"Several graduates from Texas Magnet School Affiliates have entered Baylor and The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley’s B.S./M.D. program, or the Joint Admissions Medical Program."

But one can not discount temple as a great place for residencies and fellowships. I have bumped into cardiologists, internists, hemotologists and so on in the recent past who have all been trained in Temple. Going to Temple should allow you to have access those programs by default (they were all A&Ms not sure if they stay that way).

Bottom line, Temple will be a great addition by the time they graduate their first batch just as Dell and Rio Grande are, UH will soon be and UTT and Temple will be the newcomers. The main difference in year 1 is that those who want to go to UT Tyler are doing so voluntarily while BCM is not giving the same choice upfront to people who may truly want to be at Temple while letting the rest who are only interested in Houston have a choice before prematch. Those applying to Bassett (Columbia) and Long Island (NYU) apply separately so interest is clear while BCM is not giving that option or making one's intentions clear before prematch.

I think comparing this to UTRGV or UT Tyler is a bit disingenuous. This is much more similar to something like Columbia Bassett or the Mayo Campuses, which only takes 12 for Jacksonville out of the over 100 total.

With UT Tyler and UTRGV, you get the different administration, different curriculum, different exams, and a completely different school code to put in ERAS for residency apps when the time comes. With BCM Temple Campus, you are like Mayo in which there is only one curriculum, one diploma, and one code for ERAS. Even though Mayo Arizona or Jacksonville isn’t the home to the main Mayo, I don’t think it disadvantages them in the match. BCM Temple students also still have access to all of the Houston resources if you want to do clinical research remotely or anything like that, although it’s definitely easier to just find a PI in person of which there are plenty in Temple. It’s sent to residency programs as one medical school and the deans letter I’m sure would emphasize that these students had the same standards and even tests across locations.

It’s only 40/226ish spots. There’s a good number of people who want to go to temple from the interview sessions, as now BCM Temple is probably the most prestigious school option in Texas for people who don’t want to be in a giant metro area. I really don’t think they want or intend to force people to temple, and they did mention they would keep that in mind when making admissions decisions.

I have a primary care focused app and also have lots of work experience in Temple. But for personal reasons, I don’t want to go back and would rather live in a big city. Even with my preferences, do you think my background and interests will lead them to put me in Temple anyways?

Primary care is definitely a big focus on the Houston campus as well; I think the best thing is to emphasize through interviews and ranking Houston first that you want Houston

Primary care is definitely a big focus on the Houston campus as well; I think the best thing is to emphasize through interviews and ranking Houston first that you want Houston
Gotcha. I already did my interviews and was difficult to emphasize campus preferences because both of them were Temple faculty. But thank you for the response!

Glad you said this, I don't think people realize that even the most prestigious universities emphasize primary care.

I personally mentioned my family in Temple and that my brother actually works at BSW Temple as part of my response, and I genuinely wouldn't care where I match to if I am even fortunate enough to match to Baylor. I believe there will be 40 like minded people who would be ecstatic to go to Temple or at the very least indifferent.

I think comparing this to UTRGV or UT Tyler is a bit disingenuous. This is much more similar to something like Columbia Bassett or the Mayo Campuses, which only takes 12 for Jacksonville out of the over 100 total.

With UT Tyler and UTRGV, you get the different administration, different curriculum, different exams, and a completely different school code to put in ERAS for residency apps when the time comes. With BCM Temple Campus, you are like Mayo in which there is only one curriculum, one diploma, and one code for ERAS. Even though Mayo Arizona or Jacksonville isn’t the home to the main Mayo, I don’t think it disadvantages them in the match. BCM Temple students also still have access to all of the Houston resources if you want to do clinical research remotely or anything like that, although it’s definitely easier to just find a PI in person of which there are plenty in Temple. It’s sent to residency programs as one medical school and the deans letter I’m sure would emphasize that these students had the same standards and even tests across locations.

It’s only 40/226ish spots. There’s a good number of people who want to go to temple from the interview sessions, as now BCM Temple is probably the most prestigious school option in Texas for people who don’t want to be in a giant metro area. I really don’t think they want or intend to force people to temple, and they did mention they would keep that in mind when making admissions decisions.
Temple will be an independent school for all practical purposes with their own faculty and rotations with an overall Baylor label. Once the school is fully implemented, the Houston school and Temple school will have zero relationship and will operate independent of each other. This is what essentially has happened with A&M EnMed program. Even their interviewing policies are different where A&M says online while EnMed says please come in person.

Medical school curriculum is dictated by AAMCAS. The difference comes in how people teach and conduct exams which in the grand scheme of things for the 2023 school year seems to be exactly one year. Rotations, even when one attends the same campus can end up being different for each person because every student does not go to the same hospital for same rotation for all their rotations, people on the same rotation at the same time in the same hospital can be with different residents, fellows, and attendees and get completely different experiences from one another, there will be a year of personalized rotations where everyone might be doing different things from another (one person might do one year of research, another person will go and find 4-5 external orthopedic surgery rotations to be able to find contacts in different programs). When one attends medical school, other than being in the same class for one year of classes, you will have different experiences from each other by the time of graduation.

Last edited:
I really wish Baylor had handled this differently. I don't believe the interview was the place to voice your opinion. Take my experience as an example. Personally, I am interested in the Houston campus. Both my interviewers were from Temple. How can I voice that opinion without some sort of bias being introduced against me?

Also, why should students have to wait to find out which campus they are going to attend until after the match? The best approach would have been Baylor having a separate application process for those interested in Temple and those interested in Houston. A 1/5 chance of getting matched to Temple is not trivial.

How I think Baylor can right their wrong is by telling all students that interviewed which campus they would get if they matched so that students can consider that before ranking them on TMDSAS. If not, I can imagine many students ranking UTSW, UT Houston, and UT San Antonio over Baylor that would have otherwise not had done so.

I personally am unsettled about this whole process and I imagine many others are as well.

Reactions: 9 users
I really wish Baylor had handled this differently. I don't believe the interview was the place to voice your opinion. Take my experience as an example. Personally, I am interested in the Houston campus. Both my interviewers were from Temple. How can I voice that opinion without some sort of bias being introduced against me?

Also, why should students have to wait to find out which campus they are going to attend until after the match? The best approach would have been Baylor having a separate application process for those interested in Temple and those interested in Houston. A 1/5 chance of getting matched to Temple is not trivial.

How I think Baylor can right their wrong is by telling all students that interviewed which campus they would get if they matched so that students can consider that before ranking them on TMDSAS. If not, I can imagine many students ranking UTSW, UT Houston, and UT San Antonio over Baylor that would have otherwise not had done so.

I personally am unsettled about this whole process and I imagine many others are as well.
Thank you for voicing this. I hate being pessimistic or negative in any way but I feel the same way as you. BCM Houston is my dream school but idk if I can rank it over the other 3 schools you mentioned. At the same time, I understand that it is a huge privilege to even be interviewing here period.

While I agree with the sentiment to an extent, we have to understand that it’s still a privilege to be accepted to Baylor. “Beggars can’t be choosers,” as they say. At the end of the day, Baylor will have no issue filling out all of their spots. The same applies to every MD school in Texas. We cannot neglect the Baylor name that comes with attending this school. Going to Temple is realistically not going to hurt anyone’s prospects. Some argue that the smaller class size will improve competitiveness. It would be nice for them to allow us to rank separately, but it is what it is. I’m personally interested in Houston, but I’m planning on visiting Temple. I think the question you should be concerned with is “would I enjoy living in Temple?” Everything else will be what you make of it imo. The prestige and research will still be there.

While I agree with the sentiment to an extent, we have to understand that it’s still a privilege to be accepted to Baylor. “Beggars can’t be choosers,” as they say. At the end of the day, Baylor will have no issue filling out all of their spots. The same applies to every MD school in Texas. We cannot neglect the Baylor name that comes with attending this school. Going to Temple is realistically not going to hurt anyone’s prospects. Some argue that the smaller class size will improve competitiveness. It would be nice for them to allow us to rank separately, but it is what it is. I’m personally interested in Houston, but I’m planning on visiting Temple. I think the question you should be concerned with is “would I enjoy living in Temple?” Everything else will be what you make of it imo. The prestige and research will still be there.
Good point. But for me and probably many others, it boils down to the location that is not related to prestige or opportunities. I’m sure Temple will give me many medical-related opportunities, but that’s not why I prefer Houston or San Antonio or Dallas.

You hit the nail on the head. I agree 100%, the main difference would be whether you want to live in Temple vs Houston.

You hit the nail on the head. I agree 100%, the main difference would be whether you want to live in Temple vs Houston.

Spot on. For me, being in Dallas (where im from) trumps everything. But I haven’t received an interview from UTSW. So at this point, location outside of Dallas is not super important to me.

Spot on. For me, being in Dallas (where im from) trumps everything. But I haven’t received an interview from UTSW. So at this point, location outside of Dallas is not super important to me.
Lmao I feel you lol. I think DFW is the best in Texas but no love from UTSW.

I personally scheduled my campus tour to Temple. I know I’d want to live in houston, but I actually want to see temple before knocking it down. I think a lot of students who don’t want to go to temple have honestly probably never been to temple.

In your case you could try to get Dallas for MS3-MS4 if accepted to A&M.
Did you apply to TCOM or TCU?

In your case you could try to get Dallas for MS3-MS4 if accepted to A&M.
Did you apply to TCOM or TCU?

A&M is definitely a consideration. I didn’t apply DO or TCU. I probably exaggerated location in my post. Essentially, my top two are BCOM and UTSW, with a preference for UTSW because of Dallas. However, I still have Dell and McGovern ranked over A&M, despite the Dallas location.