2022-2023 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my seat for one of you future doctors! Best of luck everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
We only wear pink on Wednesdays. If you don’t, straight to the AOA president.

In all seriousness: most wear scrubs of their choosing(no requirement in regards to color or type) around campus. Technically you should wear ‘OMM’ attire for OMM: shorts and t-shirt. And doctor patient relationship has ‘DPR attire’ which is just business casual or scrubs with a white coat. And OSCEs require professional clothes with white coat.

So TLDR: scrubs most of the time. Have your white coat handy. Except in OSCE testing situation and maybe OMM.
So to clarify, there's NOT a dresscode? You're just saying people tend to wear scrubs?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
So to clarify, there's NOT a dresscode? You're just saying people tend to wear scrubs?
There’s only a dress code for your OSCE’s (business casual), OMM (athletic attire), and anatomy lab (scrubs). Everything else is pretty chill unless explicitly stated to wear something specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little confused. So they give you next week's lecture as one batch but then do you also have in person lecture over the same material or is in person to ask questions if you didn't understand a concept or something?
Current student here. They release the entire block of lectures to you at once now the Thursday before the block starts and you move through them at your own pace. If you have questions about material you can email or meet with the professor in person or on zoom if needed. There are no in person lectures for the foundation of medicine courses. However, you still have anatomy lab in person, doctor-patient relationship lab in person, and OMM lab in person every week. There are also in person peer instruction meetings twice a block where the class goes through practice questions together.

Reactions: 2 users
Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

only dress code for OMM/DPR/OSCE. but no dress code to be on campus outside of that.

I'm a little confused. So they give you next week's lecture as one batch but then do you also have in person lecture over the same material or is in person to ask questions if you didn't understand a concept or something?
no in person *lectures*. sorry if I made it confusing. I was just reminiscing of my preclinical years when i made the original comment.

I interviewed 9/26 and still have not heard anything back. :(

for current students that live off-campus/on-canpus, would you advocate for your place? Including pros and cons?

I know its quite early for this kind of question but I’d like to hear about the place you live in :)

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed exactly a month ago. I have yet to receive an admissions decision. What's going on?

• Sad
I interviewed exactly a month ago. I have yet to receive an admissions decision. What's going on?
I was waitlisted to this school last cycle. Normally they send decisions every month. Maybe they will send decisions next week.

They send official waitlist emails in January. During the summer times (May, June, and July), they send emails saying that there is waitlist movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put my deposit in today!! I made my decision. woo

Do they really only release admission decisions only once a month?

for current students that live off-campus/on-canpus, would you advocate for your place? Including pros and cons?

I know its quite early for this kind of question but I’d like to hear about the place you live in :)
There are two options for on-campus housing: one at driving distance and one within walking distance of Wilson hall. I think you can get some of them pre-furnished. I think they are pretty good. The downside is then you are living by the standards of a dorm: No alcohol, room checks, and certain appliances are not allowed. Then you need to consider summer housing, you will have to move out and back in. The one closer to the school (The Circle) is meant for graduate students.

I've lived off campus at willow creek, a great place to be. The landing is also a great place to live now. Rent/Mortgage on a house around here can cost you as much as monthly rent. You get the benefits of keeping your apartment as yours the entire time, no need to move in and out; if you decide to stay the summer for research or other activities, then you don't have to worry about extending a lease or anything.

On-campus will cost you just as much as staying off-campus. Just remember, on-campus housing includes the cost of utilities and other services. Off-campus you have to pay for internet and other things. You can expect to pay 700 to 1000 wherever you go for a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment. You can find apartments for as cheap as 500 for a single, which I did at The Greens. But I don't recommend those apartments, and you get what you pay for.

There are two options for on-campus housing: one at driving distance and one within walking distance of Wilson hall. I think you can get some of them pre-furnished. I think they are pretty good. The downside is then you are living by the standards of a dorm: No alcohol, room checks, and certain appliances are not allowed. Then you need to consider summer housing, you will have to move out and back in. The one closer to the school (The Circle) is meant for graduate students.

I've lived off campus at willow creek, a great place to be. The landing is also a great place to live now. Rent/Mortgage on a house around here can cost you as much as monthly rent. You get the benefits of keeping your apartment as yours the entire time, no need to move in and out; if you decide to stay the summer for research or other activities, then you don't have to worry about extending a lease or anything.

On-campus will cost you just as much as staying off-campus. Just remember, on-campus housing includes the cost of utilities and other services. Off-campus you have to pay for internet and other things. You can expect to pay 700 to 1000 wherever you go for a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment. You can find apartments for as cheap as 500 for a single, which I did at The Greens. But I don't recommend those apartments, and you get what you pay for.
Do residents at The Circle have to move out for the Summer as well?

Interviewed slightly over a month ago, eagerly hoping to hear back any day now.

Do residents at The Circle have to move out for the Summer as well?
From my understanding, yes. Or you can choose an option or something about staying for the summer. I'm not knowledgeable about on-campus housing outside of what I said, so ill defer to anyone else who might live there or finds out more.

just withdrew my A, i hope it goes to one of you future docs!! <3

Just got an A!! I interviewed in early November.

interviewed in november but have not heard back - does this mean WL or an R? congrats to everyone tho

• Care
interviewed in november but have not heard back - does this mean WL or an R? congrats to everyone tho
I applied last cycle. I don’t think they were give R’s until the very end of the cycle. Last January they sent official WL letters

no interview, yet should I lose hope?
No, I would not. It is likely a downtime due to the holidays. Wait until after the holidays and I bet you will likely hear back! It is never over until you get the R. Keep your head up!

Please ASK about curriculum and remediation policies and number of people remediating their first year! In your interview in the pre interview or just email academic affairs! Make sure you have the answers before choosing any school.

I'm a current student living off campus. I have a dog, so there are limited places that I could find that would accommodate my needs. I'm technically within walking distance of the school, but I've found that the weather is not usually amenable to walking. The cost of parking isn't bad and finding parking on campus has been extremely easy. My apartment includes all my utilities, and I'm in a two bedroom for what I consider to be a pretty reasonable price. It's not the nicest place I've every lived, but I don't feel unsafe.

Anybody know when they are sending there next round of ii’s?

Does paying the deposit at this school make you bound to this school or can you still withdraw later on after you have paid the deposit?

II just now! Though, would’ve liked for it to be at the Long Island campus lol

II this morning for Long Island Campus. No ties to NY.

Anyone else trying to do the background check and keep getting "Your information is not on file"?

Anyone with kids figuring out your move to Jonesboro yet? Or have advice if you're a current student who had a similar scenario? We have an almost 2 year old, and one due the end of July. We're trying to find a place we can happily be the entire time we're there, so schools, libraries, parks, are all great to have nearby!

Anyone with kids figuring out your move to Jonesboro yet? Or have advice if you're a current student who had a similar scenario? We have an almost 2 year old, and one due the end of July. We're trying to find a place we can happily be the entire time we're there, so schools, libraries, parks, are all great to have nearby!
Given the way that rotations are set up that may not be possible. Rotations are on a lottery system, and there's not guarantee you'll end up being in Jonesboro. I think they do have some exceptions to the lottery system with a really good reason (I have no ideas if having kids in school here is one of them), but I wouldn't count on being in the same place for four years.

Given the way that rotations are set up that may not be possible. Rotations are on a lottery system, and there's not guarantee you'll end up being in Jonesboro. I think they do have some exceptions to the lottery system with a really good reason (I have no ideas if having kids in school here is one of them), but I wouldn't count on being in the same place for four years.
Do you know how the Baptist Rotation program works? Is it based on merit or is it lottery as well? I'm from Memphis so I think it would be ideal!

I recognize I won't be there the whole time, and we feel it's unrealistic for my wife and kids to join for all the rotations, so we want to be sure we have a place for her and the kids where they can be happy and have a good routine by the time I have to go on rotations. I'll try to stay nearby, but I know there's not a guarantee.

Do you know how the Baptist Rotation program works? Is it based on merit or is it lottery as well? I'm from Memphis so I think it would be ideal!
The baptist rotation site is based on an application selection process in the spring of your first year. However, with baptist set to open their own DO school in Memphis in the next couple years, this relationship with NYIT may be something to ask about.

hey guys! I interviewed for the JB campus around November but haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone know if they send WL emails or Rs? Just trying to see where I stand at this point in the cycle.

hey guys! I interviewed for the JB campus around November but haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone know if they send WL emails or Rs? Just trying to see where I stand at this point in the cycle.
I am in the same boat. Have not heard a single word since my interview 9/26. As far as I know, there is also no portal to check my status. I assume I have been added to a waitlist and will send LOI soon.

• Care
I recognize I won't be there the whole time, and we feel it's unrealistic for my wife and kids to join for all the rotations, so we want to be sure we have a place for her and the kids where they can be happy and have a good routine by the time I have to go on rotations. I'll try to stay nearby, but I know there's not a guarantee.
Set this expectation with your family (and you) that you could potentially be in a different location. Even though Jonesboro is one of the largest (and best) sites the school has, you still could 'match' anywhere. Despite their best efforts, I have had classmates assigned to different rotation sites than their families and had to adjust accordingly. Better to have this expectation set now. Having families is not a given exception to the lottery system.

Another expectation when coming to this campus is that you can move to rural areas around the region that you might not be used to. But because these are rural areas, students usually are understandably worried. I think it should go without saying that coming to any school with multiple sites, its best to set the expectation that your clinical years can be spent in locations that you might not be used to. But trust me, all the locations are fantastic places to learn.

My friends and I have done more intubations/central lines/suturing/CPR/thoracentesis than many of the PGY-1s I've met at many different institutions, and it has helped tremendously on my audition rotations and a great talking point during residency interviews.

Set this expectation with your family (and you) that you could potentially be in a different location. Even though Jonesboro is one of the largest (and best) sites the school has, you still could 'match' anywhere. Despite their best efforts, I have had classmates assigned to different rotation sites than their families and had to adjust accordingly. Better to have this expectation set now. Having families is not a given exception to the lottery system.

Another expectation when coming to this campus is that you can move to rural areas around the region that you might not be used to. But because these are rural areas, students usually are understandably worried. I think it should go without saying that coming to any school with multiple sites, its best to set the expectation that your clinical years can be spent in locations that you might not be used to. But trust me, all the locations are fantastic places to learn.

My friends and I have done more intubations/central lines/suturing/CPR/thoracentesis than many of the PGY-1s I've met at many different institutions, and it has helped tremendously on my audition rotations and a great talking point during residency interviews.
Thank you! We are 100% mentally prepared for me to be gone a lot. We're also trying to be physically prepared for it. That's a big reason why we want to find a good area of town/neighborhood. Maybe it's all good in Jonesboro, because of how small the place is. We're from a big city, (population over 1 million) which has really good, okay, and bad neighborhoods for families vs. individuals, etc., so I was looking for that kind of input. Clearly, I did not explain that well. 😅

Thank you! We are 100% mentally prepared for me to be gone a lot. We're also trying to be physically prepared for it. That's a big reason why we want to find a good area of town/neighborhood. Maybe it's all good in Jonesboro, because of how small the place is. We're from a big city, (population over 1 million) which has really good, okay, and bad neighborhoods for families vs. individuals, etc., so I was looking for that kind of input. Clearly, I did not explain that well. 😅
Nettleton area not so good. Jonesboro schools are decent. Valley view is where most people say is the “best.” Brookland is also apparently a good school district. It’s an even smaller town about 15 min north of JB. The area just north of campus in Jonesboro is not the greatest. People like the hilltop area in town. There’s also some new build houses on the East side of town that are nice but they’re in the Nettleton school district. Check with someone at the schools though because I’m not sure Jonesboro has strict rules on where you live and where your kids go to school.