2022-2023 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed them and just received the "In response to your inquiry -It takes 4 to 6 weeks to process an application. You will receive an email when it is completed." not sure how to find out more info...

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed them and just received the "In response to your inquiry -It takes 4 to 6 weeks to process an application. You will receive an email when it is completed." not sure how to find out more info...
Me too, maybe we just have to be patient

I submitted 6/26 and had not been marked complete yet so I emailed them, they said one of my letters was marked as math so it was not counting as a second science letter. I am confused because I submitted a letter packet, which per their PDF pg 3 says fulfills all requirements--i read it as 2 science letters are only needed if school does not have a premed committee. awaiting their response.

has anyone else had this issue?

I had this issue, and was anticipating it

I emailed them a while back about math letters. Here’s what they said:

If you’re using a letter packet, “You will need 2 science letters and one non-science letter of evaluation. In addition, if one of these three letters is not in your major as indicated on AMCAS, you will need another letter in your major. Math is not considered a science. Science courses are classified as biology, chemistry, physics, biomedical engineering.”

Members don't see this ad :)
I had this issue, and was anticipating it

I emailed them a while back about math letters. Here’s what they said:

If you’re using a letter packet, “You will need 2 science letters and one non-science letter of evaluation. In addition, if one of these three letters is not in your major as indicated on AMCAS, you will need another letter in your major. Math is not considered a science. Science courses are classified as biology, chemistry, physics, biomedical engineering.”
Yea that is what they told me, it is very frustrating because their supplemental application instructions (page 3) does not make it seem like that. The wording makes it seem that if you have a letter packet, then you are fine, full stop. The next section says if you do not have a committee, then you need the 3 individual letters that must have 2 science writers.

I feel like I cannot be the only one who reads it like that??

Yea that is what they told me, it is very frustrating because their supplemental application instructions (page 3) does not make it seem like that. The wording makes it seem that if you have a letter packet, then you are fine, full stop. The next section says if you do not have a committee, then you need the 3 individual letters that must have 2 science writers.

I feel like I cannot be the only one who reads it like that??
I think that a premed committee letter and letter packet are different things. So the premed committee letter will satisfy all the requirements but a letter packet has to follow the individual requirements. I could be wrong though!

Reactions: 1 user
has anyone ever been successful at NYMC without the required letters? ive been out of undergrad for a while but they said they still need a science undergrad letter from me and I only provided graduate. they said I can still submit as is but to keep in mind that the strongest applications will satisfy the letter requirements. will my application be screwed if I dont? I emailed some old profs but I doubt they would be strong letters. any advice is appreciated!

Just got my confirmation completion today; submitted secondary 7/6

how long does it take to get a secondary? I added NYMC a couple days ago havent gotten anything yet

So I was reading about the letter requirements on their website and learned that one letter must come from a department we majored in. My concern is that I took most of my classes in the science department because of how my program was structured, while my major was from a health-related department. I have not had a chance to connect with any professors from my department, and I am afraid I might not get someone to write a letter in such a short time. Should I try to see if someone can provide a letter, or should I explain this situation to the admissions office? This is the only school which is requiring it, so I never thought about it until I applied to NYMC.

Definitely email them explaining the structure of your program. If you don’t, they will most definitely let you know you’ll need an additional letter from your undergrad major in order to have your application reviewed. They’re super responsive via email :)
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely email them. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted secondary 6/26, complete email received 7/31

So if you are submitting a graduate school committee letter, you also need letters from your undergraduate? Why are they so strict about this? I finished undergrad a while ago, not sure how I would get letters from there.

So if you are submitting a graduate school committee letter, you also need letters from your undergraduate? Why are they so strict about this? I finished undergrad a while ago, not sure how I would get letters from there.
How long ago was "a while ago"? This is on the PDF that was sent along with the secondary:
If you graduated prior to 2020 (this does not include 2020) and are unable to obtain letters of
evaluation from your undergraduate or graduate school, we will accept other academically oriented
letters. However, keep in mind providing us with the requested letters will strengthen your
application.
So if that applies to you, you could still meet their requirements.

How long ago was "a while ago"? This is on the PDF that was sent along with the secondary:

So if that applies to you, you could still meet their requirements.
yea i graduated in 2020 :/ unfortunately. Might just ask them to accept my application as is. But thank you for the quick response!

yea i graduated in 2020 :/ unfortunately. Might just ask them to accept my application as is. But thank you for the quick response!
That stinks :( definitely email them- they're super quick with email responses on weekdays. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
submitted secondary 7/29, complete email received 8/1 OOS

Anybody having trouble paying the fee? Tried 4 times on safari and chrome

When do they start sending out IIs??

How long did it take yall to get a complete? Submitted a week and a half ago!

How long did it take yall to get a complete? Submitted a week and a half ago!

It depends. I was waiting on a committee letter to be submitted to be complete. It took 1 day from the letter being submitted to be complete on NYMC’s end.

thanks! its my first and i couldnt be happier. I was getting bummed tbh even though I know its so early. i submitted june 29th but wasnt complete until july third because of a lor clarification

Im in a similar situation…. submitted on 07/02 but my college didn’t upload the committee letter till 07/22. Pain🫠

thanks! its my first and i couldnt be happier. I was getting bummed tbh even though I know its so early. i submitted june 29th but wasnt complete until july third because of a lor clarification
Did you reach out via email to them or did they reach out to you about the LOR clarification?

[mention]brsg123whoknows [/mention] Have you already taken the Casper test? Do they send out interview invites if you haven’t taken the Casper test but are scheduled to take it later?

[mention]brsg123whoknows [/mention] Have you already taken the Casper test? Do they send out interview invites if you haven’t taken the Casper test but are scheduled to take it later?
no clue! I took it in june. maybe email them theyre very responsive :)

IS II received around 5pm, completed 6/26, LM 81.6, ORM, non-trad

Reactions: 2 users
IS II received around 5pm, completed 6/26, LM 81.6, ORM, non-trad
Congrats! Is 6/26 when you submitted or when you were marked complete? cuz I think in the email they said it can take a couple of weeks to be marked complete even if everything is in.

Question - they emailed me about my science LORs. One is from a bio prof, and one is from an anatomy prof which counts as bio in AMCAS. Will this be ok?