2022-2023 Pennsylvania (Perelman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would people mind sharing the latest month the interviews have been scheduled for already?
I got my II on 10/10 and all the dates available were in November - no dates were available in December or beyond

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would people mind sharing the latest month the interviews have been scheduled for already?
MSTP applicant here. Got an II on 9/9. They wanted to schedule the interview for early October but I couldn't make it so they pushed it to December.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone who has interviewed here comment on how it was? Whether the interviewers had prescripted questions, conversational, hardball questions, etc? thank youuuu!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has interviewed here comment on how it was? Whether the interviewers had prescripted questions, conversational, hardball questions, etc? thank youuuu!

Couple of questions they had to ask, otherwise it was pretty conversational

No hardball questions. Both my interviewers prefaced that they had a few questions they had to ask but all of those were pretty standard. Otherwise it was super conversational - spent a couple mins chatting with my faculty interviewer about our shared love for a certain musician! Really got the sense that they just wanted to get to know me!

No hardball questions. Both my interviewers prefaced that they had a few questions they had to ask but all of those were pretty standard. Otherwise it was super conversational - spent a couple mins chatting with my faculty interviewer about our shared love for a certain musician! Really got the sense that they just wanted to get to know me!
Hi thanks so much for the info! Were the scripted questions behavior style, like "tell me about a time ..." or standard in format? Also did you have 2 faculty or 1 faculty/1 student? I couldn't find info on that haha, thanks for your help!

Hi thanks so much for the info! Were the scripted questions behavior style, like "tell me about a time ..." or standard in format? Also did you have 2 faculty or 1 faculty/1 student? I couldn't find info on that haha, thanks for your help!
I don't think we're allowed to reveal exact questions, but they were pretty standard interview questions (the scripted ones). They read my app thoroughly and spent most of the other time discussing my activities that they found interesting. I had 1 faculty and 1 student, but I didn't know that until the day before when they send you your schedule. It was really laid back and relaxed, like even when they asked the scripted ones, so I wouldn't worry at all

OOS II received on 10/10, LM 77, complete in July

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Can somebody please confirm what we're supposed to do for post-interview update letters? Did they say to upload into the portal and not send them an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any info sessions coming up for prospective students / already interviewed students?

anyone complete in around Sep. heard back? I feel like all II's have been July completion and getting nervous since they complete interviews next month....

anyone complete in around Sep. heard back? I feel like all II's have been July completion and getting nervous since they complete interviews next month....
Have not heard back (I was complete 9/17)

Do they release the 21st century scholarships the same time as acceptance? Or is there a delay?

Do most students who get accepted here have like 10+ IIs and multiple As?

Do they release the 21st century scholarships the same time as acceptance? Or is there a delay?
All scholarships and financial aid offers are announced together after everyone admitted has filed their requested documents.

Those who dont meet financial need may qualify for other scholarships, even if not 21st century type money,

All scholarships and financial aid offers are announced together after everyone admitted has filed their requested documents.

Those who dont meet financial need may qualify for other scholarships, even if not 21st century type money,
would this be prior to or after committing to enroll/narrowing schools down to 1?

would this be prior to or after committing to enroll/narrowing schools down to 1?
Offers are extended in early March. Those with offers get a timeline to complete all paperwork and the date for awards will be published at the time of admission offers (usually early April/within a month of admissions). Students usually have 3-4 weeks to decide to narrow down to 1.

It is not uncommon for admitted students to negotiate some scholarship to reduce their burden compared to their other offers. An example is for a california native to show admission to UCLA/UCSF and request them to match their instate tuition.

that's what NYU's dean says
NYU students probably do since they interview almost 1:10 for their seats and reject most of them accepting only those with highest stats in the end and expect students to still show up since they are free tuition.

It sounds odd that there are students at Penn who only got into Penn unless they were in some auto admit program. There were a bunch of students in last cycle who got into a lot of schools in Texas and didnt get into Penn and several other T10s after interviewing (one of them got into Hopkins and WashU).

Last edited:
Is there a separate application for the 21st century scholarship or should we not worry about that unless accepted? Also, this is random but when is it typically a good time to start filling out FAFSA? I've been hearing answers all over the place

Is there a separate application for the 21st century scholarship or should we not worry about that unless accepted? Also, this is random but when is it typically a good time to start filling out FAFSA? I've been hearing answers all over the place
website says all admitted students are automatically considered for 21st century.
for FAFSA, i think early as possible. even after you submit, you can always go back and revise your school list (add/drop schools or change the order)

No application for 21st century.

Good to do a FAFSA for this year and do one more early next year. If you do get in, Penn will require your parents' tax returns, at least for this year.

Does anyone know when they stop sending IIs? UPenn is my dream school (and a long shot), but I just want to be realistic about how much longer to hold out hope for
Same question here. I submitted mid-August but haven't heard back. I know they said they interview until Jan according to their confirmation email, but what does that mean for IIs?

For those who have already interviewed, when they say the interview times are on EDT, does that mean 4 hours ahead of California or 3 hours ahead?? Apparently there's a difference between EST and EDT that I do not understand :unsure:

For those who have already interviewed, when they say the interview times are on EDT, does that mean 4 hours ahead of California or 3 hours ahead?? Apparently there's a difference between EST and EDT that I do not understand :unsure:
three hours ahead of CA! i might be wrong but i think EST vs. EDT refers to which side of daylight savings time we're on

Reactions: 2 users
Penn and California should always be 3 hours apart unless Cal has multiple time zones. LA and SF are always 3 hours behind Philly.

156 matriculated of 809 interviewed = 19% roughly, I think this is based off 2021 data on MSAR

will there be II's this week or are they done for this cycle?

Reactions: 3 users