-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Pennsylvania State
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
confusedonceagain
Full Member
Nope :’)Did your hold get an II?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BioNerd 2.0
Full Member
Just got the Hold
philliesfan23
New Member
Did you interview?Just got the Hold
Sadly nobody knows. It could mean that you're still in the running, it could mean that your app hasn't been reviewed yet. Hoping it's the former for usComplete 7/22 and nothing yet. Any thoughts on what that means?
Did you get an email for the hold or was it on the portal?Pre-II hold. Complete 8/14. LM 70 and ORM. Looks like a decent amount of these holds went out but I feel like the sample size from SDN is not representative of the average applicant so I am optimistic lol
Pre II Hold
complete 07/22
complete 07/22
nervous_premed
Full Member
So sorry to hear that 🙁 Does this school put high importance on Casper? I got first quartile but it hasn't proven a problem so far with other schoolsAnother pre-II rejection; OOS with high stats but a very low casper lol
complete mid July heard nothing
Hi all,
I had a few people ask me for advice on their PSU interview. Here is my general advice/impressions from mine, as well as my thoughts on my short time here. I figured it would be helpful for everyone!
I had a few people ask me for advice on their PSU interview. Here is my general advice/impressions from mine, as well as my thoughts on my short time here. I figured it would be helpful for everyone!
- I was interviewed by an MS2 who was super nice and a faculty member.
- The questions were very targeted, and it’s something that I noticed talking to my peers - everyone was selected for a very specific reason. My interview was almost entirely centered around my time mentoring and all the questions were targeted that way. So figure out what your common thread was on your application - what made you stand out the most?
- Know your application. Have stories. Show, don't tell. My interviewer LOVED my stories about my time working with my students - to the point where she said,'I am going to step out of the interview role for a moment and just talk to you peer to peer, because I so agree with your assessment!' HAVE STORIES. They make you stand out. Even the most mundane volunteer experience can be made the highlight of your application if you discuss the connections you made and the lessons you learned.
- My current experience has been absolutely amazing and based on what I have heard about other people’s schools I am so glad I chose PSU. We have a very humanities focused curriculum so I feel like I am becoming a very well rounded physician. I see patients at least once a week, and the curriculum is super fair.
- I feel like it is structured for success - you’re not tossed in the deep end immediately with anatomy and you have time to adjust. Also, upperclassmen and peers are super helpful. There are free tutoring sessions lead by upperclassmen, admin are usually responsive, reasonable, and helpful. Facilitators for small groups are dedicated and feedback is always good.
- It’s all true P/F with no internal ranking so people collaborate really well and there is a strong desire to help people out.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks so much for this! And thanks for making me want to get in even more badly.. Do you know anything about their 3 year MD and residency match program?Hi all,
I had a few people ask me for advice on their PSU interview. Here is my general advice/impressions from mine, as well as my thoughts on my short time here. I figured it would be helpful for everyone!
- I was interviewed by an MS2 who was super nice and a faculty member.
- The questions were very targeted, and it’s something that I noticed talking to my peers - everyone was selected for a very specific reason. My interview was almost entirely centered around my time mentoring and all the questions were targeted that way. So figure out what your common thread was on your application - what made you stand out the most?
- Know your application. Have stories. Show, don't tell. My interviewer LOVED my stories about my time working with my students - to the point where she said,'I am going to step out of the interview role for a moment and just talk to you peer to peer, because I so agree with your assessment!' HAVE STORIES. They make you stand out. Even the most mundane volunteer experience can be made the highlight of your application if you discuss the connections you made and the lessons you learned.
- My current experience has been absolutely amazing and based on what I have heard about other people’s schools I am so glad I chose PSU. We have a very humanities focused curriculum so I feel like I am becoming a very well rounded physician. I see patients at least once a week, and the curriculum is super fair.
- I feel like it is structured for success - you’re not tossed in the deep end immediately with anatomy and you have time to adjust. Also, upperclassmen and peers are super helpful. There are free tutoring sessions lead by upperclassmen, admin are usually responsive, reasonable, and helpful. Facilitators for small groups are dedicated and feedback is always good.
- It’s all true P/F with no internal ranking so people collaborate really well and there is a strong desire to help people out.
Yes I do! I have a few friends in the program and am considering the Neurology one. They are super supportive - and it's great, bc you get 1 year of tuition knocked off (+1 year scholarship I think?) so you are not paying nearly as much. Additionally, you are guaranteed your residency spot which is nice - Milton S. hershey medical center is a big academic center with EVERYTHING in house so it's a great place to do residency. There is more work - rotations in the summer between M1 and M2, more crunch on your required research project.Thanks so much for this! And thanks for making me want to get in even more badly.. Do you know anything about their 3 year MD and residency match program?
The only drawback is that it is a commitment - so be sure you really want to do it if you choose to go that route. There are folks that have left their 3+ programs before, it's possible, but it may be frowned upon. The good thing is that for most you can apply in later in first year and you can take that time to shadow, network, etc!
Thank you! So I found there were a couple of dates in November from 11/14, 11/19 through the end of November. I don’t know if they had any December dates as I didn’t look that up.Congratulations! Can you tell us what dates were available in the interview cycle?
Sorry for the silly question but I'm assuming the residency has to be at Hershey or in the PA area?Yes I do! I have a few friends in the program and am considering the Neurology one. They are super supportive - and it's great, bc you get 1 year of tuition knocked off (+1 year scholarship I think?) so you are not paying nearly as much. Additionally, you are guaranteed your residency spot which is nice - Milton S. hershey medical center is a big academic center with EVERYTHING in house so it's a great place to do residency. There is more work - rotations in the summer between M1 and M2, more crunch on your required research project.
The only drawback is that it is a commitment - so be sure you really want to do it if you choose to go that route. There are folks that have left their 3+ programs before, it's possible, but it may be frowned upon. The good thing is that for most you can apply in later in first year and you can take that time to shadow, network, etc!
Yes, it’s at PSU-COM hersheySorry for the silly question but I'm assuming the residency has to be at Hershey or in the PA area?
It's not over 😪Pre-II hold 10/26 ~3:45 PM. Complete 08/25, LM 84, 4th Q Casper. Welp :')
forscythia
Full Member
Almost exactly the same, 514 MCAT 3.99 GPA LM 72. Anyone know how often people go from hold to II? This was my top choice ;-;Pre-II Hold, OOS Student, Complete mid August. 510 MCAT 3.98 GPA LM 71
if you dont mind saying, what was your complete dateAlmost exactly the same, 514 MCAT 3.99 GPA LM 72. Anyone know how often people go from hold to II? This was my top choice ;-;
philliesfan23
New Member
Per someone in last years thread, PSCOM has typically released first batch of acceptances on first Thursday/Friday of November (last year it appeared to be 11/4, a Thursday). So thinking next week could be the week…
forscythia
Full Member
Complete on 7/27if you dont mind saying, what was your complete date
Im sorry 🙁 when were you complete if you dont mind me askingThought I dodged the initial hold wave, got hit with the pre-II hold first thing this morning 🙁
Was it by email?Thought I dodged the initial hold wave, got hit with the pre-II hold first thing this morning 🙁
Im sorry 🙁 when were you complete if you dont mind me asking
Complete 7/31, received via emailWas it by email?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thedeebsknees
New Member
I was accepted, interviewed 9/20 something, screaming, crying, throwing up
Omg congrats but also that is such a quick turnaround!!I was accepted, interviewed 9/20 something, screaming, crying, throwing up
thedeebsknees
New Member
As a reapplicant this cycle it felt like hell but yeah I am shocked I thought decisions would come out this friday, and now I’m paranoid it’s a mistakeOmg congrats but also that is such a quick turnaround!!
call or email?I was accepted, interviewed 9/20 something, screaming, crying, throwing up
clubpenguin
New Member
I was accepted!! Got an email 2 hours ago. I interviewed on 9/14.
thedeebsknees
New Member
email!call or email?
Most definitely not a mistake. This is a huge WIN! Go celebrate!!As a reapplicant this cycle it felt like hell but yeah I am shocked I thought decisions would come out this friday, and now I’m paranoid it’s a mistake
ohwell1231test
Full Member
Congrats to everyone who got the A ! Did anyone who interviewed around 10/10 or 10/12 hear back yet ?
Someone mentioned earlier they were accepted from 10/12Congrats to everyone who got the A ! Did anyone who interviewed around 10/10 or 10/12 hear back yet ?
thedeebsknees
New Member
:,) This was actually so reassuring lol, I’m going to try!!!Most definitely not a mistake. This is a huge WIN! Go celebrate!!
Hi! Do you have any suggestions on how to prepare for interviews? Thanks!Hey everyone! I am an MS1 here at Penn State. I remember how tough the process was when I was in it, and I wanted to offer any advice/answer any questions... just let me know, I'll be around!
showkayaker
Full Member
No one said that?Someone mentioned earlier they were accepted from 10/12
wrong thread sorry 🤦🏻♀️No one said that?
Last edited:
CompletelyTired
Full Member
A
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ALSO ACCEPTED MID-DAY YESTERDAY! I AM SHOCKED!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting, you guys got this!
complete in july, interview end september, reapplicant, blood type B+, favorite color is purple lol 🙂
- edit - OOS
complete in july, interview end september, reapplicant, blood type B+, favorite color is purple lol 🙂
- edit - OOS
Last edited:
Congrats!! 😊 Would you mind sharing if you’re IS or OOS?I was accepted, interviewed 9/20 something, screaming, crying, throwing up
Congratulations!! Mind sharing IS or OOS? 🙂I was accepted!! Got an email 2 hours ago. I interviewed on 9/14.
Accepted!! Interviewed 10/3
ALSO ACCEPTED MID-DAY YESTERDAY! I AM SHOCKED!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting, you guys got this!
complete in july, interview end september, reapplicant, blood type B+, favorite color is purple lol 🙂
Congratulations! Would you all mind sharing if you’re IS or OOS? 🙂
I'm OOS!Congratulations! Would you all mind sharing if you’re IS or OOS? 🙂