2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if not attending the virtual chat would negatively impact our applications? It seems like they're all in the 9:00-5:00 EST window, which is unfortunate.

Members don't see this ad.

On hold 10/21, complete 8/10. They let me know that my application will not get looked at again until I submit this semester's grades from my SMP program.

Anyone know if they do silent rejections?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when they’re supposed to start giving campus tours?

For those that have been to the first Q&A session after your interview, has anyone heard about an open house that will be happening? I know they said they were planning them but I haven't heard anything since

Hey all
This might be a dumb question but, prior to your interview, did you ever get information about who specifically is your interviewer?

Hey all
This might be a dumb question but, prior to your interview, did you ever get information about who specifically is your interviewer?
My interviewer was cc'd in the zoom link email that I received the night before my interview, however I only got their actual profile and information the morning of the interview along with the writing assignment email

i am having my interview next week. can i ask what others' experiences were like?

i am having my interview next week. can i ask what others' experiences were like?
Honestly, this II was the least friendly one I had. It felt like I was getting grilled the entire time and the interviewer wanted to throw me off. It felt like it went well though, maybe my interviewer was just playing Good Cop Bad Cop

Honestly, this II was the least friendly one I had. It felt like I was getting grilled the entire time and the interviewer wanted to throw me off. It felt like it went well though, maybe my interviewer was just playing Good Cop Bad Cop
Oh no 🥲 ill see if they'll grill me this week

I had an amazing experience. My interviewer was so friendly and clearly had read my application. He asked thoughtful questions and it felt like an actual conversation rather than an interview. GL!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
i know it's an open-filed interview. does this mean that the interviewer can also see our answers to secondary questions or just our stats?

i know it's an open-filed interview. does this mean that the interviewer can also see our answers to secondary questions or just our stats?
I'm pretty sure that means they've read all of our app but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
the interview was a long list of questions. my interviewer told me that they make no decisions but just have to write down the answers to the questions the admissions committee has. almost if not all of the questions were on the sdn interview feedback page.
thank you!

how are thank you letters done? should i email my interviewer direct or upload them to my portal? i apologize for my many questions

Hey can anyone let me know how their med student interview was? my faculty interviewer was pretty nice and chill so I'm hoping it'd be the same. Thanks

To those who have completed their interviews - How long did it take the med student to reach out after the faculty interview?

This might be a dumb question but for thank you notes, if you choose to email it directly, do you essentially send a thank you email, or do you attach a file with the note to the email lol

This might be a dumb question but for thank you notes, if you choose to email it directly, do you essentially send a thank you email, or do you attach a file with the note to the email lol

I did the former

I think they said within 5 days, which is when mine reached out.
what is the interview schedule like? I've been trying to find info online but haven't been able to :/ does this mean....that the interview technically lasts SEVERAL days of stress??

what is the interview schedule like? I've been trying to find info online but haven't been able to :/ does this mean....that the interview technically lasts SEVERAL days of stress??
the student reached out to me within a day to schedule our interview. it was extremely low stress and the student was very nice.

Hi! My student reached out to me 5 days later and I didn’t have my interview with them until two weeks after my faculty interview. She assured it was informal and mainly a conversation. I would say that some students may be M3/M4 so since they are in their clinical years or applying to residency as well you may not meet with them right away (that's why mine was two weeks apart).

I agree with the reply above me however it was low stress and a nice conversation overall (~30 min)

Hi! My student reached out to me 5 days later and I didn’t have my interview with them until two weeks after my faculty interview. She assured it was informal and mainly a conversation. I would say that some students may be M3/M4 so since they are in their clinical years or applying to residency as well you may not meet with them right away (that's why mine was two weeks apart).

I agree with the reply above me however it was low stress and a nice conversation overall (~30 min)
the student reached out to me within a day to schedule our interview. it was extremely low stress and the student was very nice.
Thank you both for the info! How long was the faculty interview on the day scheduled? Are there any other info sessions/student chats scheduled that day as well, or is it just faculty interview + writing assignment due at 4pm?

Thank you both for the info! How long was the faculty interview on the day scheduled? Are there any other info sessions/student chats scheduled that day as well, or is it just faculty interview + writing assignment due at 4pm?
My faculty interview was maybe just a little over an hour. I have read it can be 30 min to an hour. She went through questions she had to ask but it was conversational as well. I entered the zoom link and was greeted by an admissions faculty then the interviewer joined the call and the admissions faculty left. After the interview I did the assignment and submitted it. We get an email from admissions for a "Virtual chat" and I received that a week after my interview. I think that's more a student panel to get information you want.

There was not a orientational presentation or anything like that so it is not a long day :) Hope this helped!

Reactions: 1 users
My faculty interview was maybe just a little over an hour. I have read it can be 30 min to an hour. She went through questions she had to ask but it was conversational as well. I entered the zoom link and was greeted by an admissions faculty then the interviewer joined the call and the admissions faculty left. After the interview I did the assignment and submitted it. We get an email from admissions for a "Virtual chat" and I received that a week after my interview. I think that's more a student panel to get information you want.

There was not a orientational presentation or anything like that so it is not a long day :) Hope this helped!
Thank you so much for the info! My interview is in a few days and I was feeling a little anxious about going into it knowing literally nothing about the schedule. Thanks again!!!

• Care
Just wanted to update everyone that I just had my faculty interview this morning, and it was great! It was a long conversation (like 1.5 hours) but it really was a conversation and it was clear that my interviewer read my file. She showed genuine interest in everything that I was doing. Out of the 3 interviews I've had so far, I think this is the one I've enjoyed the most!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
+1, and also what is the dress code? And do you think that this has any impact on decisions from the committee if we attend or not?

forgive me if this is a dumb question but.....there are in-person tours? I thought they're doing virtual chats every month in lieu of the tours?
They sent out dates to sign up for in person tours starting this November.

• Wow
How have people dressed for the monthly info session? The email says dress casual but I don’t want to be the only one who doesn’t over dress

How have people dressed for the monthly info session? The email says dress casual but I don’t want to be the only one who doesn’t over dress
?? Brotherman. If they said it's casual, then it is casual.

Wear jeans and a shirt if you want.

?? Brotherman. If they said it's casual, then it is casual.

Wear jeans and a shirt if you want.
so um I've shown up to info sessions for other schools dressed "casual" and everyone else was deadass wearing black tie lmfaoooo so now I just err on the side of caution and wear a nice shirt or something

where are we supposed to meet for the tours? i have one coming up but received no information at all.

i had my student interview last week and i found it to be harder and more legitimate than the faculty interview. while it was said the student interview is "informal", does anyone know how much it affects our admission chances?

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 2.48.53 PM.png

im confused...does this mean I am complete or there are missing items? is this what everyone else's application status checklist looks like?

this happened to me because they put my application on hold until I upload my grades from the current semester. There should be an additional tab to upload whatever they want from you. You should have known you were complete before this though, but just thought I’d share what happened to me
View attachment 362222
im confused...does this mean I am complete or there are missing items? is this what everyone else's application status checklist looks like?

this happened to me because they put my application on hold until I upload my grades from the current semester. There should be an additional tab to upload whatever they want from you. You should have known you were complete before this though, but just thought I’d share what happened to me
the weird part is there is no additional tab or anything indicating that there is anything missing.. and I received no emails except one stating my application was complete. Could it be a glitch or is this just what the application checklist looks like when they don't request any additional documentation? I graduated in 2020 so I don't have any current transcripts or anything

the weird part is there is no additional tab or anything indicating that there is anything missing.. and I received no emails except one stating my application was complete. Could it be a glitch or is this just what the application checklist looks like when they don't request any additional documentation? I graduated in 2020 so I don't have any current transcripts or anything
Mine looks like yours. I think we are fine? They would list something under ‘action item’ if they need something (or thats what i assumed)

Anyone applying for the combined MPH program get an email asking you to rank your choices? Not sure if it means anything lol haven’t received an II so just curious