2022-2023 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @G_hawks98 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Iowa (Carver) Secondary Essay Prompts

Question 1: We understand you may be applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine. (1500 characters)
Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics or obstacles you may have overcome that will influence your contribution to a diverse healthcare system. (1500 characters)
Question 3: Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. (Up to 15 entries and 175 characters per description)
If applicable, Question 4:
If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application? (1500 characters)
If applicable, Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school. (1500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current student at CCOM here. For anyone applying this cycle feel free to message me with any questions. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Newly admitted student at carver! Took a gap year and I’m participating in the SRF program, so ask away if you have questions about either of those!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prompts are same as last year's! All are 1500 characters, except Q3.

Question 1: We understand you may be applying to multiple medical schools. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Carver College of Medicine.
Question 2: Describe any unique personal characteristics or obstacles you may have overcome that will influence your contribution to a diverse healthcare system.
Question 3: Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. (Up to 15 entries and 175 characters per description)
If applicable, Question 4: If you are a reapplicant to the Carver College of Medicine, how have you strengthened your application?
If applicable, Question 5: If you are not currently in a degree-seeking program, please indicate what you will be doing from the time you complete this secondary application to the start of medical school.

@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 users
Newly admitted student at carver! Took a gap year and I’m participating in the SRF program, so ask away if you have questions about either of those!
How's the SRF program so far? What's the research experience like compared to your undergrad?

Has anyone who is applying to the MSTP program received a secondary? If so, would you mind sharing if there are different and/or additional questions than the MD only secondary essay prompts? Thank you!

Anyone else still yet to receive the secondary? Verified 6/30

If you've already received a secondary, when were you verified?

If you've already received a secondary, when were you verified?
I was verified 6/1. Didn't receive a secondary until 7/6, though. So it might just take some time- they're probably sending them out in batches.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I am a reapplicant but not to Carver, do adcom prefer me to answer question 4?

If I am a reapplicant but not to Carver, do adcom prefer me to answer question 4?

Not sure but I would think yes and just specify your situation. You could also email / call admissions really quick and ask them

for #3, can we discuss ongoing activities? I assume so, but the question emphasizes completed activities.

for #3, can we discuss ongoing activities? I assume so, but the question emphasizes completed activities.
I believe completed activity hours, you can list completed hours but don't extend to future hours

I believe completed activity hours, you can list completed hours but don't extend to future hours
This is what I ended up doing, including the same number of hours that are listed on my AMCAS. Otherwise, I technically wouldn't be able to include my current internship, and that has been huge for me in terms of patient contact, hours, etc.

Any OOS still not get a secondary?? I submitted first week on July and haven’t heard anything. They don’t prescreen do they??

This is what it said for the AAMC secondary policies page: "Overall and BCPM GPA 3.0. If not 3.0, 20 hours science post bacc or graduate work at 3.5 or higher. MCAT score must be 500 or higher to receive a secondary (all subcategories at least 123)."

Any OOS still not get a secondary?? I submitted first week on July and haven’t heard anything. They don’t prescreen do they??
So I think based on that AAMC secondary policies page for Iowa they do have a gpa and mcat screen

considering I’m substantially above those stats should I be concerned? I am an OOS

Also OOS still waiting on a secondary. Verified the 8th and above those stat cutoffs too.

For the course and degree requirements tab, am I meant to fill out all of my courses or just the courses that meet the requirements? It has the prerequisites listed, but then it says stuff like "list all biology coursework that you have completed..."

For the course and degree requirements tab, am I meant to fill out all of my courses or just the courses that meet the requirements? It has the prerequisites listed, but then it says stuff like "list all biology coursework that you have completed..."
I interpreted it as the latter; I filled out "all" courses applicable to the instructions directly above the box.

OOS secondary received today, 7/27. Primary verified 6/27

OOS secondary received. App verified on 07/01

Is it too late to apply for this college? In late July or early Aug should still be OK? I feel I need to apply to couple more colleges since my initial list was not that great, plus considering how my secondaries are going.
Yes, you'll be fine. You've got at least a few weeks before you're "too late" to submit a secondary.

What are you guys saying for the "application year" question? We're applying in the 2022-2023 cycle, so I'm not sure which one to say
Cycle year is based off when you matriculate. So if you're applying now, you're applying for 2023.

II just now!!! In state, complete 7/12. 520+, 3.9+

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
OOS II earlier today!! Didn't think I had much of a chance, LM with cGPA 70.9 and sGPA 71.9, WD is around 84. Just about cried at work