You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Iowa (Carver)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
ThreeEqualsMD
Full Member
Got the OOS R..sad boi
🙁 man I’m afraid to look after seeing the decisions so far
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
serotonin1
Full Member
That is strange. My start position and current position did not match so I'm unsure of how it syncs
IS WL mid 20s.. Anyone have any idea how much the IS WL has moved in recent years??
LongHauler108
Full Member
It varies so much. I've been in the game a while and I've seen it move as far down as 30 (2015) but that was a straight up miracle.IS WL mid 20s.. Anyone have any idea how much the IS WL has moved in recent years??
LongHauler108
Full Member
Also when is it appropriate to set up a meeting to ask for admissions feedback before a reapplication cycle?
Accepted. Grateful and surprised. Is there an acccepted students group me?
There’s an accepted student Facebook group! Not sure about Group Me. Look up Carver College of Medicine Class of 2026! Congrats!Accepted. Grateful and surprised. Is there an acccepted students group me?
gobucks_21
Full Member
Rejected, OOS interviewed early September, LM 67. Goodluck to all the waitlisted applicants!!
tiredpotato
Full Member
Last year the #25 on the WL ended up at #1 at the end of the cycle so essentially what I’ve been told is if you’re position #20 or less there’s a good chance, #10 or less you’re golden.IS WL mid 20s.. Anyone have any idea how much the IS WL has moved in recent years??
tiredpotato
Full Member
Someone said the OOS list has moved already. So you’re seeing your starting vs current positionThat is strange. My start position and current position did not match so I'm unsure of how it syncs
Are you guys getting an email or are you just checking your portals?
Looks like they don’t send email for R
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven’t gotten an email, does this mean rejection? Scared to check.
I'm so sorry friend. Feel free to message me if you want to rant to someone.Rejected for the third year in a row. This was my only interview this year. OOS
Same lol. I would imagine everyone in the final pool would get an email that a decision has been made though….I haven’t gotten an email, does this mean rejection? Scared to check.
This assumption would be... incorrect. Go check your portalSame lol. I would imagine everyone in the final pool would get an email that a decision has been made though….
tiredpotato
Full Member
Does anyone know when the IS WL starts moving? The OOS already is. Would it be fair to imagine that it doesn’t really move until April when AMCAS makes people pick their med school?
Say whatever else you will about this process here, but Iowa's consistency in scheduling is something to behold. Same day every time. For lurkers in February next year: final pool release on Wednesday the 8th. Book it.
It just a big blow. I just got to Canada to visit my brother so now I’ve been here 2 hours and I’m crying and he doesn’t know what to do. He took me to a coffee shop for hot cocoa.I'm so sorry friend. Feel free to message me if you want to rant to someone.
Looks like R emails just sent
And what does one do? Does one apply a FOURTH time? Quaterlife crisis mode.It just a big blow. I just got to Canada to visit my brother so now I’ve been here 2 hours and I’m crying and he doesn’t know what to do. He took me to a coffee shop for hot cocoa.
frogdogdizzly
Full Member
16 weeks later…. Hard rejection. It hurts man.
I am so so sorry to hear this. Did you ask them for feedback last time and are you going to this time?And what does one do? Does one apply a FOURTH time? Quaterlife crisis mode.
EchaleGanas
New Member
Rejected, OOS. Yikes. It’s ruthless out here.
I guarantee a DO school like CCOM or DMU would take you if you applied in another cycleAnd what does one do? Does one apply a FOURTH time? Quaterlife crisis mode.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes and yes. I know they have some thing about applying 4 years in a row if you don’t make “significant changes” so idk if I can apply to them specifically again. I mean I’ve been working a clinical job for the past year and a half so that seems significant.I am so so sorry to hear this. Did you ask them for feedback last time and are you going to this time?
Yeah I do want to apply more broadly. My MCAT was expired at like 50% of schools this cycle so my list wasn’t great. I only applied to PCOM an Michigan for DO this past cycle. Most of the really good ones didn’t accept my MCAT. I’ve already started studying to retake it. Just having that “is it worth it” moment.I guarantee a DO school like CCOM or DMU would take you if you applied in another cycle
I’m sorry to hear that. Sending warm hugs.R.
I’m devastated. From my alma mater and also where I work.
Ugh 💔 didn’t even make the waitlist
Same to you friend. This sucks so muchI’m sorry to hear that. Sending warm hugs.
I received an email to check my portal and received the RLooks like they don’t send email for R
I’m up to 12 post II Rs/WLs at this point so fortunately I’m somewhat desensitized to it. At least it’s Proof that a good amount of schools don’t read full applications or they send out interviews automatically beyond a certain score/gpaI received an email to check my portal and received the R
This is so difficult. I hate that the system is this way. I wish all of us could get in and have a shot at our dreamI’m up to 12 post II Rs/WLs at this point so fortunately I’m somewhat desensitized to it. At least it’s Proof that a good amount of schools don’t read full applications or they send out interviews automatically beyond a certain score/gpa
serotonin1
Full Member
Yes I meant why mine showed a difference but other's below me did not.Someone said the OOS list has moved already. So you’re seeing your starting vs current position
List is MOVING. OOS moved up 5 spots
Previous year's threads are pretty confusing. Does anyone know what rank is safe to be in for an acceptance?
IS like someone said earlier 10 is almost guaranteed, 20 is a decent chance 30+ is unlikely. OOS is very inconsistent. I've heard of years where they take 30 and some years it goes into the 60-70sPrevious year's threads are pretty confusing. Does anyone know what rank is safe to be in for an acceptance?
tiredpotato
Full Member
I have been asking around (knew a decent number of people IS rank 15-25 from previous years) and they said IS has almost no movement until late April, but that anyone #1-#15 is very good chances, #16-#20 is decent chances, #20-#25 less likely but has happened. Not likely to go beyond #25. Last year it moved 23 places.IS like someone said earlier 10 is almost guaranteed, 20 is a decent chance 30+ is unlikely. OOS is very inconsistent. I've heard of years where they take 30 and some years it goes into the 60-70s
hoping_for_peds
Full Member
Also waitlisted! OOS. Was in the 20s and excited to see that I'm already in the teens. I love how transparent they are about their waitlist!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tiredpotato
Full Member
Can any current students tell us if they know the average number of students off the lists in their classes? I know last year about 20 came off the IS list but is that high? The MSAR makes that seem high but I know someone who is around number 20 IS this year and is hella confident they are getting in.
Just curious for those OOS who were waitlisted but also hold acceptance(s) to other schools, do you plan to stick to the waitlist for this school?
tiredpotato
Full Member
Answered my own question. All years in the last ten had more than 20 accepted off the IS WL with the exception of the 2019-2020 year where only 12 got in 😬 so chances are good if you’re top 20 IS unless the class decides to pull a 2019. Thank you and enjoy the anxiety!Can any current students tell us if they know the average number of students off the lists in their classes? I know last year about 20 came off the IS list but is that high? The MSAR makes that seem high but I know someone who is around number 20 IS this year and is hella confident they are getting in.
Attachments
tiredpotato
Full Member
So the data has one outlier which makes it not easily given. If you leave out 2019, everyone ranked #1-#20 can be comfortable. However, in 2019, the IS list only moved twelve places. Important to note here was that this was the year the AAMC introduced the two dates to narrow down school selection so they may have over offered (ie students who should have been waitlisted were given offers and that’s why they didn’t see movement because that happened from within the class).Previous year's threads are pretty confusing. Does anyone know what rank is safe to be in for an acceptance?