Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS like someone said earlier 10 is almost guaranteed, 20 is a decent chance 30+ is unlikely. OOS is very inconsistent. I've heard of years where they take 30 and some years it goes into the 60-70s
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
IS like someone said earlier 10 is almost guaranteed, 20 is a decent chance 30+ is unlikely. OOS is very inconsistent. I've heard of years where they take 30 and some years it goes into the 60-70s
Yeah I did a deep dive and a good indicator will be how far things move on 4/15 and 5/2. After that it’s not super fluid anymore and you can make a plan about reapplying. The OOS list is just inconsistent and can’t be mapped like the IS.
Carver does ranked waitlist for both. So if you’re alternate #33, they will offer the spot that opens to 32 people before it comes to you. Offers go out as they open for each list. So if someone withdraws tomorrow, the waitlist moves one point and whoever is at #1 gets to accept the open spot if they want. I’m not quite sure what the second half of your post is asking, but you can *technically* get an acceptance if you’re at 50 after 4/30 but the chances are very low. From previous years posts, both lists move very little after the final traffic day.Hello friends! Just to clarify for OOS waitlist, when do they start giving out acceptances, do they give out all at once or do they stagger it? Can you technically get an acceptance offer when your latest rank is 50 (after April 30 movement) if this year is like the 2019-2020 OR do you have to wait until you're like in the teens?
Sorry for the confusion! If someone becomes #1 on the OOS alternate list tomorrow, do they get an acceptance offer tomorrow? Or do they have to wait until 4/30 to get an acceptance offer?Carver does ranked waitlist for both. So if you’re alternate #33, they will offer the spot that opens to 32 people before it comes to you. Offers go out as they open for each list. So if someone withdraws tomorrow, the waitlist moves one point and whoever is at #1 gets to accept the open spot if they want. I’m not quite sure what the second half of your post is asking, but you can *technically* get an acceptance if you’re at 50 after 4/30 but the chances are very low. From previous years posts, both lists move very little after the final traffic day.
They get it ASAP! But it’s the person that just bumped from position 1 to position “0” that gets the offer🙂Sorry for the confusion! If someone becomes #1 on the OOS alternate list tomorrow, do they get an acceptance offer tomorrow? Or do they have to wait until 4/30 to get an acceptance offer?
Yikes, that’s definitely not good news at all for those low on the OOS list. I’m at 63 now so it’s not looking good 🙁They get it ASAP! But it’s the person that just bumped from position 1 to position “0” that gets the offer🙂
My portal only shows one spot moved?
For future reference one of the spots was above #16 and one was below! (ie someone left the waitlist and someone left the accepted pool).The IS waitlist moved two spots this morning for future reference.
Where are you seeing match data for this year already?Why? 150 students only 132 go match. other dropped out of school? 6 no match, 7 soap?
Most years either everyone matched, back to 2010 and 6 not matching, last years cycle was probably messed up with COVID
Posted by people last year. Just curious why?Where are you seeing match data for this year already?
Not sure which year you’re looking at but most years you won’t get 150 because MSTPs mess up the numbers depending on how many years they take to finish their PhD. Some years you have more than 150 I think 2020 or 2019 had 158 graduates. You also might be looking at NRMP match data only which is the main match. Programs such as urology and ophthalmology do not participate in the NRMP and have their own system so it’s reported weirdWhy? 150 students only 132 go match. other dropped out of school? 6 no match, 7 soap?
Most years either everyone matched, back to 2010 and 6 not matching, last years cycle was probably messed up with COVID
Everyone in med school is going to become a doctor so you are not competing like undergrad where you basically had to get straight As to get in. AOA doesn’t matter unless you are trying to get into neurosurgery, derm or other extremely competitive fields and AOA doesn’t guarantee you’ll get in because you also need really good step scores, a lot of publications etc. You can get into almost all other specialties like IM, surgery, OB, radiology etc without AOA.Maybe, but I feel like it won't be that bad. A lot of true P/F schools have internal ranks for AOA right? so people that want AOA are going to try hard regardless. Besides that, residencies are comparing between schools that have strict P/F versus schools that don't, that's incomparable so they probably won't put that much weight on getting honors, unlike in undergrad where getting As is more important. You can also add Iowa is relatively pretty highly ranked in every specialty to pro.
Can anyone speak as to whether or not Iowa graduates have success with matching into the most competitive specialities (derm, ent, neurosurg)?
You could go to some local breweries. I’ve heard Big Grove is fun, might have a younger crowd tho. Tin Roost in North Liberty is going to get a brewery (I think) but it is fun as well. There are a LOT of walking parks around here, so those are nice if the weather is nice.Hello, Iowa thread!
Will be visiting for MSTP second look at the end of the month and will be bringing my SO along with. Anyone have any tips on what we can do during our spare time to really get a feel for the area?
Also, to anyone more familiar with the area, how’s the job market for graphic design?
If you want to sample the home-made adult beverages, you might also want to drive out to Cedar Ridge Winery and Distillery- just off of I-380 in between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, not far from the airport. They have some nice food to go with the wine or whiskey. It is especially recommended if the weather is nice. They have a nice outdoor patio green and they also have music at certain times.You could go to some local breweries. I’ve heard Big Grove is fun, might have a younger crowd tho. Tin Roost in North Liberty is going to get a brewery (I think) but it is fun as well. There are a LOT of walking parks around here, so those are nice if the weather is nice.
If the weather is nice, I would definitely recommend going to City Park, walking around downtown, getting a cupcake from Molly's cupcakes. Also, Big Grove Brewery If the weather is nice to sit outside. If it's not, head to 30 HOP in Coralville, just a 5 min drive from the medical campus. That area is super nice and has stores like Lululemon and stuff like that. Also, a Trader Joes!Hello, Iowa thread!
Will be visiting for MSTP second look at the end of the month and will be bringing my SO along with. Anyone have any tips on what we can do during our spare time to really get a feel for the area?
Also, to anyone more familiar with the area, how’s the job market for graphic design?
Since CYMS only shows up if you have an acceptance, I guess the alternate list info would show up too? I don't have any other A's so the CYMS tool doesn't show up for meAre we supposed to be able to see the alternate list info on the “choose your medical school” tool as well as the secondary portal?
Am not on that list, but after seeing the MD only crowd (and learning of their interests) at the second look dinner I am 99% certain you are going to get in.Any other top 20 IS list students dealing with crippling imposter syndrome rn? Like all the data says we will 95% (19/20 years the top 20 get in) for sure be going to med school this fall but I feel like such a pretender when I let myself be happy about it 😬
NGL this made me puke piles of relief.Am not on that list, but after seeing the MD only crowd (and learning of their interests) at the second look dinner I am 99% certain you are going to get in.
Edit: I am MSTP, I don’t affect you lol
Sorry for the random ask, but what do you mean by someone will get in after you attended the second look dinner?Am not on that list, but after seeing the MD only crowd (and learning of their interests) at the second look dinner I am 99% certain you are going to get in.
Edit: I am MSTP, I don’t affect you lol
Like, meeting the currently accepted MD only students and chatting with them gives me the impression that several will withdrawSorry for the random ask, but what do you mean by someone will get in after you attended the second look dinner?
Tends to even happen a bit before because on apr 15 people have to narrow down choices.Random question but I know everyone says there's a lot of WL movement on 4/30, is it like ON 4/30 or does most of the movement occur 5/1 or after? Thanks 🙂
The previous threads for this school show 1-5 spots moving IS (less OOS) up to a little after the 15th, then the week before the 4/30 deadline there is a bunch of movement, up through #18 ish IS and variable 20-30 on the OOS. The IS barely moves after the 30th but the OOS list seems to move a decent bit after.Random question but I know everyone says there's a lot of WL movement on 4/30, is it like ON 4/30 or does most of the movement occur 5/1 or after? Thanks 🙂
Good luck for where you're matriculating! If you don't mind me asking, what was your rank on the OOS WL when you withdrew?Withdrew my acceptance offer here, hoping that waitlist movement continues to move for y'all!
Edit: OOS applicant
I was an accepted student! Not on the OOS WL.Good luck for where you're matriculating! If you don't mind me asking, what was your rank on the OOS WL when you withdrew?
Nope, IS waitlist only moved 2 spots since 3/15 (on par for previous years). My prediction on movement is the week before the deadline.Anyone see any movement today? I know most of it will likely happen on or after 4/30 but I also heard that there's something on 4/15 too.
Current student here - first 1.5 years (preclinical) is in house exams. Clinicals use NBME shelf exams for all the core year subjects like surgery, obgyn, IM, peds etc. Sub specialties in rotations use in house. Most courses are pass, near honors, honors except for MAS and CAPS which is clinical skills and ethics stuff. Typical week preclinicals you have lectures in the morning which are optional attendance, afternoons you sometimes have required things like anatomy labs or some small group meetings where you might work through cases or other activities. Exams are always on Friday and for the science stuff it’s every other week exams. MAS and CAPS exams twice a semester. Clinicals are usually 6 weeks long. It varies a lot based on what rotation you’re on. Things like surgery are going to have longer hours, peds might be shorter. Study for stuff using step 2 resources while at work and when you get home. Exams are NBME exams at the end of the rotation.Idk how I have gotten so far in this process without actually asking this question. Does anyone know what the testing is like here? I know it is not pass fail, but is the testing in house? Or is it NBME? Is it multiple-choice, at home, anyone know? Would also love a link for resource to what the average week looks like. I don’t know why I haven’t seen any of this or ask about it
Thank you for the run down! Are the in house exams/the lecture content aligned with step in any manner or is it at the whim of whatever PhD or MD is teaching the class? Also, are all exams multiple choice?Current student here - first 1.5 years (preclinical) is in house exams. Clinicals use NBME shelf exams for all the core year subjects like surgery, obgyn, IM, peds etc. Sub specialties in rotations use in house. Most courses are pass, near honors, honors except for MAS and CAPS which is clinical skills and ethics stuff. Typical week preclinicals you have lectures in the morning which are optional attendance, afternoons you sometimes have required things like anatomy labs or some small group meetings where you might work through cases or other activities. Exams are always on Friday and for the science stuff it’s every other week exams. MAS and CAPS exams twice a semester. Clinicals are usually 6 weeks long. It varies a lot based on what rotation you’re on. Things like surgery are going to have longer hours, peds might be shorter. Study for stuff using step 2 resources while at work and when you get home. Exams are NBME exams at the end of the rotation.
The pre-clinicals are usually whatever the PhD or MD decides so you can end up with some random questions. For the most part I would say they are relevant to step but step 1 is pass fail now so it’s not that big of a deal. Step 2 is the only thing that matters and clinicals are based on the NBME shelf so that helps you prepare for itThank you for the run down! Are the in house exams/the lecture content aligned with step in any manner or is it at the whim of whatever PhD or MD is teaching the class? Also, are all exams multiple choice?
My understanding was they moved automatically but it does take time for the systems to update maybe?Are the waitlists updated manually or automatically? I've seen a couple OOS people on here who withdrew their acceptances but my waitlist (also OOS) hasn't moved in a couple weeks.
I observe the same thing here. Maybe the system update mechanics is out of our understanding, or people withdrew their acceptance earlier in March.Are the waitlists updated manually or automatically? I've seen a couple OOS people on here who withdrew their acceptances but my waitlist (also OOS) hasn't moved in a couple weeks.
I figured it out. If the people who withdrew were below you on the WL, their movement doesn’t affect you. So maybe that could be the reason.I observe the same thing here. Maybe the system update mechanics is out of our understanding, or people withdrew their acceptance earlier in March.
Thank you for considering this. I believe the possible confusion here is that people withdrawing the *acceptance offers* does not result in timely movement on *any* places on the waiting list though.I figured it out. If the people who withdrew were below you on the WL, their movement doesn’t affect you. So maybe that could be the reason.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.