2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

Started by wysdoc
Tags Tags
utmb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! I'm interviewing here on Wednesday. Since it's a zoom interview I was wondering if you guys think I should have my prosthetic leg on? I know this is a weird question. But I had always planned for zoom interviews to leave it off because I want to be more comfortable. However I am seeing that some interviewers have asked people to stand. Will UTMB ask this?
Most of us were joking about standing. I have not once (in any of my interviews) been asked to stand. And even if you were asked to stand, own it. You are you and they can’t judge you for being you. Do whatever makes you comfortable.
 
Most of us were joking about standing. I have not once (in any of my interviews) been asked to stand. And even if you were asked to stand, own it. You are you and they can’t judge you for being you. Do whatever makes you comfortable.
i was wearing these jeans with a blazer and a shirt.
62A90C46-BAA5-4420-AF11-B2215FD5DDB2.jpeg
If they asked me to stand I would hope they’d just applaud me for my excellent fashion choices
 
Hi guys! I interview here this week. Any tips for MMI? Did you find they asked you more ethical scenarios or more personal questions? Like personal ones would be like tell me about a time you failed.... etc. Trying to get a good idea of how I should practice in the coming few days. Any input is welcome and appreciated! Thanks and good luck to all who have interviewed/ are interviewing 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! I interview here this week. Any tips for MMI? Did you find they asked you more ethical scenarios or more personal questions? Like personal ones would be like tell me about a time you failed.... etc. Trying to get a good idea of how I should practice in the coming few days. Any input is welcome and appreciated! Thanks and good luck to all who have interviewed/ are interviewing 🙂
Basically expect ethical scenarios. Expect something’s like describe a time you were resilient and a time you failed etc. No why us and no acting. Then there’s a station where there’s no prompt and you have to say why you are a good fit for the school.
 
Does anyone happen to know how long the interview day takes? I see there are 2 MMI circuits on the portal.
It's not very long unless you get assigned to the second circuit. Luckily, I was on the first circuit and I was done by like 1:30 or so. If you're on the second circuit, it lasts an extra hour.
 
For those who have interviewed - are we expected to speak for the whole 7 minutes non-stop during the MMI’s, or is there room for conversation?

I had heard some schools require speaking on the topic without stopping for the full time.
 
[mention]Chillvibes777 [/mention] they encourage you to leave the interviewer time to ask questions and engage! I think it’s in their MMI prep video, but they do a great job of making it low stress and engaging 🙂
 
Can you tell us more about why UTMB freaking rocks? Thanks!
Pass/Fail curriculum with NBME exams. 95%+ of content is relevant for boards! So there is no dual curriculum or time wasted preparing for in-house exams. Everything has a real objective to it.

Location on the Gulf. If you've ever been to UTSW or TMC in Houston, there's a lot of concrete and not much else. SA/El Paso/Lubbock/RGV are pretty similar - hot, dry, dusty. You can walk from the UTMB campus and be at the beach in under 6 minutes.

Class composition-the admissions & recruitment people did a great job of putting a diverse and bright class together. Plenty of UT & A&M grads, sure. But unlike some other schools, UTMB selected for well-rounded students, rather than those with Ivy pedigrees or high stats+not much else. Average matriculant age is around 23.5 (don't quote me on it.) Not as nontrad/"Austin weird" as Dell. But you are looked at more holistically here.

Finally, apparently UTMB has/had a reputation as the "party med school." I've found this to have some truth. 😉
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But unlike some other schools, UTMB selected for well-rounded students, rather than those with Ivy pedigrees or high stats+not much else.
What TX schools would you say the "some other schools" are? Just curious
 
Isn't it very risky to turn down interviews before you get accepted though? I've heard of ppl with 4+ II not matching, not to scare anyone
the average number of interviews for someone who gets accepted is 3 I believe, so anything outside that is just an outlier
 
Isn't it very risky to turn down interviews before you get accepted though? I've heard of ppl with 4+ II not matching, not to scare anyone
It’s already done, so what’s the point worrying? I’ll make the best decision I can at any given moment and learn from the consequences which come. And to me, that decision was to turn down this II and focus on prepping for my other ones 🙂
 
It’s already done, so what’s the point worrying? I’ll make the best decision I can at any given moment and learn from the consequences which come. And to me, that decision was to turn down this II and focus on prepping for my other ones 🙂
You will be fine. Hopefully you have other beach school options to compensate just in case. 🙂
 
It’s already done, so what’s the point worrying? I’ll make the best decision I can at any given moment and learn from the consequences which come. And to me, that decision was to turn down this II and focus on prepping for my other ones 🙂
Most are more cautious and would wait until at least October 15 to see if they got a prematch offer. But you know, not all the prematch offers come out on October 15th and some not until December.

It is up to everyone to make their own decisions. Fortune favors the bold!
 
Most are more cautious and would wait until at least October 15 to see if they got a prematch offer. But you know, not all the prematch offers come out on October 15th and some not until December.

It is up to everyone to make their own decisions. Fortune favors the bold!
And caring for others is the first step to becoming a great physician.
 
Finished my interview yesterday! Was my first ever interview for med school and it was great! A very laid back experience and the school really impressed me. My anxiety went away pretty quickly and I was able to discuss the prompts as well as myself pretty easily. I have very high hopes for this school as it's one of my top choices even before I got any interviews. Good luck to everyone else!
 
Finished my interview yesterday! Was my first ever interview for med school and it was great! A very laid back experience and the school really impressed me. My anxiety went away pretty quickly and I was able to discuss the prompts as well as myself pretty easily. I have very high hopes for this school as it's one of my top choices even before I got any interviews. Good luck to everyone else!
Awesome! I have an interview here in November, do you have any tips?
 
Finished my interview yesterday! Was my first ever interview for med school and it was great! A very laid back experience and the school really impressed me. My anxiety went away pretty quickly and I was able to discuss the prompts as well as myself pretty easily. I have very high hopes for this school as it's one of my top choices even before I got any interviews. Good luck to everyone else!
What you are saying is you like MMI. It was not a traditional interview. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What you are saying is you like MMI. It was not a traditional interview. 🙂
What I am saying is that I had a good MMI circuit with some great interviewers all of whom were focused and seemed genuinely happy to be there. I'm also saying I enjoyed the student panel and getting to know the curriculum. I liked it!
Awesome! I have an interview here in November, do you have any tips?
Honestly, just be yourself I know it's cliche. Have some good general answers to some basic med school questions, but dont overly rehearse them.
 
What I am saying is that I had a good MMI circuit with some great interviewers all of whom were focused and seemed genuinely happy to be there. I'm also saying I enjoyed the student panel and getting to know the curriculum. I liked it!

Honestly, just be yourself I know it's cliche. Have some good general answers to some basic med school questions, but dont overly rehearse them.
@MCAThiccy I think they were out to get you! Apparently they are nice to some applicants. 🙂
 
Wait. Hold up. Wait a minute. So do we think having "pre-match offer withdrawal" means we already have a pre-match? 🤔
No it’s in case you have had lots of interviews and want to take one out of the running before Match. An enviable position but not that many TMDSAS peeps will be in it.
 
No it’s in case you have had lots of interviews and want to take one out of the running before Match. An enviable position but not that many TMDSAS peeps will be in it.
Prematch withdraw seems shaky proposition!

One can withdraw from an admission before a match. If people have multiple admissions before match day and they know their number 1 for match, they can start turning down offers before match so the schools can offer the admission to someone else.
 
Prematch withdraw seems shaky proposition!

One can withdraw from an admission before a match. If people have multiple admissions before match day and they know their number 1 for match, they can start turning down offers before match so the schools can offer the admission to someone else.
I kind of agree here - there's really no need to withdraw from stuff if you have more than one prematch. Rank your favorite as #1 and the Match system will take care of the rest.
 
I have a random question... When addressing the school is it appropriate to still address them as UTMB or to use the updated name of John Sealy School of Medicine? TIA 🙂
 
I have a random question... When addressing the school is it appropriate to still address them as UTMB or to use the updated name of John Sealy School of Medicine? TIA 🙂
I used JSSOM since the name change. I think they did during the interview as well but the logo they had at the bottom of their presentations were UTMB Health.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They did NOT ask us to stand! It was a very relaxed experience (as much as one can feel relaxed with their future on the line, lol), and they try to make everyone as comfortable as possible.
LMFAO UHCOM asked all the students to stand which was interesting.
 
What was the average Matriculant MCAT here? is it worth applying with a 500-505 score? I know its late but I got scared off by their 513 MCAT average score but I cannot recall if that's for accepted or matriculated students.
 
I know UTMB has a reputation for having a heavily pre-matched class. Does anyone know historically if the school typically offers these to higher stat applicants, applicants who interviewed well or any combination of factors? It's my top choice, my stats aren't amazing and I felt like I interviewed well here so I'm curious to know.
I'm also curious, I would love to attend this school🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽