2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

Started by wysdoc
Tags Tags
utmb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to write a letter of intent after interviewing here. If I were extended an offer, I really cannot envision myself turning it down. How/where can I go about doing this? Should I wait until pre-match offers go out?
I would wait a couple of weeks, maybe they liked you too & will send you a prematch
 
I want to write a letter of intent after interviewing here. If I were extended an offer, I really cannot envision myself turning it down. How/where can I go about doing this? Should I wait until pre-match offers go out?
Nah bruh send that out in a few weeks. I would send it out to the admissions email if there is no document upload on the secondary portal. If there is a document submission, you can upload your letter under "Other."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think UTMB likes non-academic things like life experiences, stronger letters, and strongly written personal essays. I have a 3.19 cGPA (3.8 sGPA and 504 MCAT) on TMDSAS and they gave me my first II and it was relatively early. I also have friends with amazing stats and applied the same time as me and are still waiting to hear back from schools. There is no rhyme or reason for this process sometimes!
 
I think UTMB likes non-academic things like life experiences, stronger letters, and strongly written personal essays. I have a 3.19 cGPA (3.8 sGPA and 504 MCAT) on TMDSAS and they gave me my first II and it was relatively early. I also have friends with amazing stats and applied the same time as me and are still waiting to hear back from schools. There is no rhyme or reason for this process sometimes!
when did you submit
 
anyone get email for Virtual Town Hall Series just now? 4:05 PM
I can't even sign up for them because I don't have an authorized email. I have an II there (however, I have not interviewed quite yet).

The error message I keep getting is: "This webinar is for authorized registrants only. Please enter another email address."
 
I can't even sign up for them because I don't have an authorized email. I have an II there (however, I have not interviewed quite yet).

The error message I keep getting is: "This webinar is for authorized registrants only. Please enter another email address."
You have to use an email address linked to a Zoom account unfortunately. You can just make a free Zoom account if you don’t have one already and the email the account is attached to should work (per my own experience)!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody received IIs in this month of October from UTMB so far ?

As per this thread, in the last cycle on two different dates (Oct 8th, 11th) UTMB sent the IIs - The Republic of Texas XL: If you are riding a high horse, there ain't no way to get down off it gracefully.

Appreciate any information on this!
I haven’t heard of any in October so far.
You can follow this year’s listing of invitation dates here: The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence
 
Honestly, this would be a really good look, depending on the top. Those jeans are flame.

Hope you get in. Best of luck.
Thank you! When I added my John Lennon sunglasses I looked like a total hipster so I wore the outfit to the restaurant I went to that night.

Hope you get in too!
 
What was the average Matriculant MCAT here? is it worth applying with a 500-505 score? I know its late but I got scared off by their 513 MCAT average score but I cannot recall if that's for accepted or matriculated students.
Median matriculant MCAT for the last cycle reported on MSAR was 510. Please apply! Don't take yourself out of the game before you have a chance to compete!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haven't received an II from UTMB yet and was wondering if this was a bad sign? Submitted 7/14. Really wanted to get an interview from here :/
I think they are pretty early in their sequence, hang in there. New admissions dean so things might be a little different than prior years, all we can do is watch & wait.
 
I've also heard they like to prematch students they believe have a higher likelihood of actually attending their institution. So I don't presume GPA is the entire equation, especially for applicants that were already invited to interview. Of course, take this and my rose-tinted lenses with a grain of salt given my GPA is not high and I interviewed here.
Yeah you’re right
 
I finished some classes in my masters program and added a few hundred hours of clinical work experience? Is that worth while?
volunteer hours not a big deal unless you have no other clinical hours on your app, completed classes with nice grades - worth the update.
 
volunteer hours not a big deal unless you have no other clinical hours on your app, completed classes with nice grades - worth the update.
What about research w/ no pubs? I don't have prior research experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean I have a few hundred clinical but this almost doubles it
My opinion and a dollar buys a coffee at McDonalds. You are expected to have clinical hours, whether it is 100 or 500 it is just a number and should we believe saying that number just went up added anything to the app? OTOH, you went to Uganda in the last month and spent 2 weeks working with pregnant mothers needing prenatal healthcare, that is a brand new experience to brag about if you said you were interested in UTMB's global health program.

If you just finished 2 classes in Anatomy and Physiology in a master's program and did well, it is probably a reasonable update.
 
ope sorry, neuroticism is getting to me
It is the why dont they like me syndrome! We all have it. If you only got 3 IIs out of 10, one could suspect may be there is something that was said in the app or recs that people didnt like but when everyone else has called you, your application seems well done. There is very little you can now add that can make a difference and they have you on hold for whatever reason.