2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate list as well

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hey guys I got a deferral today. Not sure exactly sure what that means. Please be as blunt as possible I know it says it’s not a rejection, but do I have a realistic chance at making it in this cycle. Appreciate any help.
Hi, did your letter say deferred or alternate list? I just was confused if that's a separate thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the alternate list work? Are we ranked? Or do they just evaluate us as a group and pull who they want when a spot opens up?

How does the alternate list work? Are we ranked? Or do they just evaluate us as a group and pull who they want when a spot opens up?
Deferral is different than alternate.

Alternate:
By my most current knowledge, if you're on alternate list, you are accepted pending an open seat and are in a ranked position. Some have had success calling in the past to find out their position on the list, but I can't say I recommend this. I think people had success with this early on in the cycle when the list was only 5-10 people, but I'm sure it's longer now. I think it'll do more harm that good right now. I don't however think it's unreasonable if you haven't heard anything by May/June to call and ask where you stand on the list! I would absolutely not recommend asking more than once.

I would say in my personal opinion if you're on alternate list you have a high chance of getting accepted. It may not be until May/June. Lots of movement happens as MD programs followed by DO programs time wise wrap up their interview cycles and pulling off waitlists. There will be a lot of people with A's now who will withdraw to go to other programs. Just be patient!

Deferred:
Again, by my most current knowledge, Deferred "list" is a pool of people where if they get through the Alternate list and still have open seats, they will revisit that pool and pull people for acceptance. I would say you definitely have a hopeful chance of getting accepted, but it probably won't be until June/July. Maybe its earlier, maybe it's not, but you're gonna have to again, be patient!

Hopefully that helps! Again this is to my best knowledge, but as always, always subject to change! I know its hard but hang in there! Especially in DO cycle, there's still a TON of movement to happen, at WCUCOM and many other schools!

Just FYI, I called the financial aide office, although u do the FAFSA and get the grad Plus loan, the main loan document will not be available until late April/early May so your gonna be on hold until then. If yall call, talk to Mrs. Martin because she is over the COM students.

Another important thing. I called the IT department and If any of you like me have not received an IT email setting up your WCUCOM email account, go to WCU Support Ticket
and follow the instructions. You are basically submitting a ticket.

:D
Quoting this to add that I would be extra special over the top kind to the financial aid office and Mrs. Martin. They do a ton of good work for a ton of students with limited staffing and they deserve it. Just take my word for that that of all the offices, you want to be extra kind there. ;) I would also be 100000000% sure that with them and all other staff that you use Mr. / Mrs. Last name. Again, just take my word for that. Especially coming from professional settings and not wanting to assume people's pronouns, etc I was not used to doing the Mr. / Mrs. thing, but it's a thing down here that you'll need to get used to doing!

Alternate:
By my most current knowledge, if you're on alternate list, you are accepted pending an open seat and are in a ranked position. Some have had success calling in the past to find out their position on the list, but I can't say I recommend this. I think people had success with this early on in the cycle when the list was only 5-10 people, but I'm sure it's longer now. I think it'll do more harm that good right now. I don't however think it's unreasonable if you haven't heard anything by May/June to call and ask where you stand on the list! I would absolutely not recommend asking more than once.

I would say in my personal opinion if you're on alternate list you have a high chance of getting accepted. It may not be until May/June. Lots of movement happens as MD programs followed by DO programs time wise wrap up their interview cycles and pulling off waitlists. There will be a lot of people with A's now who will withdraw to go to other programs. Just be patient!

Deferred:
Again, by my most current knowledge, Deferred "list" is a pool of people where if they get through the Alternate list and still have open seats, they will revisit that pool and pull people for acceptance. I would say you definitely have a hopeful chance of getting accepted, but it probably won't be until June/July. Maybe its earlier, maybe it's not, but you're gonna have to again, be patient!

Hopefully that helps! Again this is to my best knowledge, but as always, always subject to change! I know its hard but hang in there! Especially in DO cycle, there's still a TON of movement to happen, at WCUCOM and many other schools!
Thanks for that amazing answer. I really appreciate it

Alternate:

Deferred:

Thank you so much for this!

Quoting this to add that I would be extra special over the top kind to the financial aid office and Mrs. Martin. They do a ton of good work for a ton of students with limited staffing and they deserve it. Just take my word for that that of all the offices, you want to be extra kind there. ;) I would also be 100000000% sure that with them and all other staff that you use Mr. / Mrs. Last name. Again, just take my word for that. Especially coming from professional settings and not wanting to assume people's pronouns, etc I was not used to doing the Mr. / Mrs. thing, but it's a thing down here that you'll need to get used to doing!
I'm a Southern Mississippi boy lol so Mr./Mrs. is quite natural to me :) but I learned to ask pronouns when I was doing my undergrad in the city with more diverse people to be polite.

Can any current students share the current school schedule? Like what are the time frames for lectures and labs for each day of the week? Also what is mandatory and what is recorded? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
are acceptances still being handed out or are most interviews being conducted for alternate and deferred list?

Attachments

• OMS1 Weekly Schedule Fall 2022 PUBLIC 2022-11-08 (1).pdf
    429.1 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: 2 users
is it worth it to send a letter of intent when i got placed on alternate list almost a month ago? WCU is my first choice and i don’t wanna lose the chance because i didn’t shoot my shot

is it worth it to send a letter of intent when i got placed on alternate list almost a month ago? WCU is my first choice and i don’t wanna lose the chance because i didn’t shoot my shot
I would just wait for now. You are on the alternate list because they want you but don’t have the seats yet. A lot of movement happens around May 15. Hang in there!

Got the acceptance email yesterday! Was put on alternate list about a week ago.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
II recieved! Does anyone know if I’m interviewing for the waitlist?

• Love
Does anyone have any interview tips? Is it open/closed file? Didn't seem to find that info here! TIA!

Does anyone have any interview tips? Is it open/closed file? Didn't seem to find that info here! TIA!
Just look through the SDN interview feedback page! TONS of info there. Know Why Med, Why DO, be prepared to talk about any disparities in your stats (high GPA, low MCAT or vice versa). Def be prepared for the ethical scenarios talked about on the SDN interview feedback page! You'll do great! Also if by chance your coming in person, but even on zoom: Suit and Tie or Suit and blouse!

• Care
Just look through the SDN interview feedback page! TONS of info there. Know Why Med, Why DO, be prepared to talk about any disparities in your stats (high GPA, low MCAT or vice versa). Def be prepared for the ethical scenarios talked about on the SDN interview feedback page! You'll do great! Also if by chance your coming in person, but even on zoom: Suit and Tie or Suit and blouse!
ty! I've interviewed for other schools (albeit in September/October) but haven't had to talk about my stat disparities (low MCAT), do you have any idea on how to tackle that?

ty! I've interviewed for other schools (albeit in September/October) but haven't had to talk about my stat disparities (low MCAT), do you have any idea on how to tackle that?
Congrats on the II! Unlikely they would ask unless it is super out of the norm. If your MCAT is within a few points from the average, they most likely wont ask. If they do, it would be towards the end of the interview. You got this!

• Care
Congrats on the II! Unlikely they would ask unless it is super out of the norm. If your MCAT is within a few points from the average, they most likely wont ask. If they do, it would be towards the end of the interview. You got this!
my MCAT is below a 500 so definitely in the ballpark they would ask! I would most likely mention something along the lines of implementing new study and test taking strategies to better prepare me for the future?

my MCAT is below a 500 so definitely in the ballpark they would ask! I would most likely mention something along the lines of implementing new study and test taking strategies to better prepare me for the future?
Sounds good. Just don’t elaborate too much. Otherwise, it would look like you are making excuses. Find that sweet spot of 1.5-2 minutes.

yeah i think that's great! and i agree with the chicken lol ;)... don't make excuses! i think you just want to show honest ability to self reflect and how you'll implement those changes in the future. for example: "I think in retrospect I wish I would have done more practice questions, so my plan once medical school starts is to speak to 2nd year students about which practice question banks are most helpful and implement those early on in the block." Or something like that!

• Care
I wasn’t asked about my sub 500 Mcat in the interview that I had at WCU COM not to long (still got the A). They were more focused on trying to understand who I was as an individual (Why DO, Why WCU, Strength/weakness, traits,etc). Try to be yourself and I’m sure you’ll succeed! GL!!!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
yeah i think that's great! and i agree with the chicken lol ;)... don't make excuses! i think you just want to show honest ability to self reflect and how you'll implement those changes in the future. for example: "I think in retrospect I wish I would have done more practice questions, so my plan once medical school starts is to speak to 2nd year students about which practice question banks are most helpful and implement those early on in the block." Or something like that!
this is great! I was gonna say something along the lines of "I focused to much on content review my first time around but focused more on practice exams my second time and was happy to see my performance in P/S and C/P reflect that. My plan once I enter medical school would be to speak to upperclassmen on what practice exams and questions are best so I can implement them early into my study strategies."

Mine below 500 they didn’t ask me

Could any current student answer on rotations? For third year are they all nearby or do you need to relocate? For 4th year if you do go out (for example: Chicago) will the school help arrange these?

Could any current student answer on rotations? For third year are they all nearby or do you need to relocate? For 4th year if you do go out (for example: Chicago) will the school help arrange these?
most likely yes you will have to relocate for 3rd year. there are several spots in Hattiesburg, but majority are in sites > 2-3 hours from Hattie around the Gulf Coast (biloxi, new orleans, oxford, louisiana, a site in new york, etc.) 4th year where you go where you want to, and my understanding is while the school will help, it's pretty much up to you!

most likely yes you will have to relocate for 3rd year. there are several spots in Hattiesburg, but majority are in sites > 2-3 hours from Hattie around the Gulf Coast (biloxi, new orleans, oxford, louisiana, a site in new york, etc.) 4th year where you go where you want to, and my understanding is while the school will help, it's pretty much up to you!
tysm!

are the exams at the end of the term cumulative?
So far they have not been wholly cumulative! Some course directors will pull some questions from previous blocks but they do that for every exam.

So far they have not been wholly cumulative! Some course directors will pull some questions from previous blocks but they do that for every exam.
100% and tbh having some repeat questions from the last exam is kinda nice because they're like sort of free points!

100% and tbh having some repeat questions from the last exam is kinda nice because they're like sort of free points!
thanks so much guys :) and how would you guys rate the extracurriculars/clubs WCUCOM offers? From what I’ve seen, the school mainly has specialty interest groups but that’s about it. Do students usually volunteer/seek extracurriculars externally in the community instead?