2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone who has been accepted this cycle and is part of the Facebook group/Groupme for the upcoming class tell how many of the total seats have been filled?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man...I am still waiting for the interview decision and was hoping for an acceptance. Still keeping my fingers crossed.
Me too. It was the best interview I’ve had and it’s not even close. Have acceptances elsewhere but I am really hoping to stay close to home. Hope there’s a spot for both of us!

Reactions: 1 user
I mean how is there a way to know it’s full from the FB Group? People could have withdrawn their acceptance and still be in it

I mean how is there a way to know it’s full from the FB Group? People could have withdrawn their acceptance and still be in it
the school has said a few times now their class is full

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this question has been asked before. Does anyone know if any of the rotations are residency-based rotations? Or do we have to find them on our own?

Extremely disheartening.
Can we expect some waitlist movement in the next month or so?
Tons of other posts in here about there is still a TON of movement to be expected between now and August. Don't get disheartened yet unless you've gotten the straight up R! Carey like 99% of other medical schools interview far and above seat capacity because as others currently accepted release there acceptance when they find out they got into their top choice school, they have a solid alternate and deferred list to pull from. Someone in my class got accepted literally the week before matriculation last year so just now its not over until you get an R!

Reactions: 1 users
Tons of other posts in here about there is still a TON of movement to be expected between now and August. Don't get disheartened yet unless you've gotten the straight up R! Carey like 99% of other medical schools interview far and above seat capacity because as others currently accepted release there acceptance when they find out they got into their top choice school, they have a solid alternate and deferred list to pull from. Someone in my class got accepted literally the week before matriculation last year so just now its not over until you get an R!
Issue is the DO school I’m accepted to starts about 2 weeks earlier than most lol. Going to stress me out if I’m on that waitlist. Already waitlisted at my other top choice :/

Issue is the DO school I’m accepted to starts about 2 weeks earlier than most lol. Going to stress me out if I’m on that waitlist. Already waitlisted at my other top choice :/
i feel ya. that was me last cycle for sure and the wait is terrible. :/ just try to keep yourself distracted and don't feel like you have to start getting stressed out about it until May! i know its SO HARD but hang in there!

100% match rate for the 2023 class!!!!! I even counted 3 Orthos and a lot of impressive placements! I'm quite excited about the numbers WCUCOM is putting up. Can't wait to start myself!!

Congrats to the class of 2023!!!
Thats awesome! Do you know if it’s 100% match or overall placement rate (match + SOAP)?

@Ellesandra319 do you know? because I cannot find this info.
i don’t know if anyone soaped, but i do know if they successfully soaped, the school would consider that a match (because those folks did match)! ie. if someone had attempted to soap and was unsuccessful, the match rate wouldn’t be 100%.

i also don’t know if the school is planning to release that info but you could always email dr weir and ask!

also @FutureDoctor5000 typed this up in the main match thread and just thought i’d copy and paste it here for ease of access!!

Anesthesiology
Barnes Jewish Hospital/ Wash U, St Louis, MO

Diagnostic Radiology
LSUHSC Shreveport, Shreveport, LA

Emergency Medicine
UMMC, Jackson, MSx2
Memorial Healthcare System, Pembroke Pines, FL
Jefferson Health, Stratford, NJ
HCA Medical Center Healthcare, Arlington, TX
University of Illinois COM-Peoria OSF, Peoria, IL
Prisma Health- U of SC SOM, Greenville, SC
Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Upland, PA
LSU SOM Baton Rouge, LA X2
Merit Health Wesley, Hattiesburg, MS
UT Ascension St. Thomas, Murfreesboro, TN
St Agnes Medical Center, Fresno, CA
Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME
Inspira Healh Network, Mullica Hills, NJ
Orange Park Medical Center, Orange Park, FL

Family Medicine
HCA Healthcare Kansas City, Lees Summit, MO
Ascension Genesys Hospital, Grand Blanc, MI
St Vincent's Medical Center, Jacksonville, FL
LSU SOM Rural Track, Bogalusa, LA
The University of Nevada Reno SOM, Reno, NV
OMECO, Tulsa, OK
North Mississippi Medical Center, Tupelo, MS
University of Florida Shands Hospital, Gainesville, FL
University of Texas HSC, Tyler, TX
Unity Health Searcy, AR
Providence- St. Peter Hospital, Olympia, WA
Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic, Yakima, WA
University of Buffalo SOM, Buffalo, NY
Beaumont Health, Grosse Pointe, MI
Ascension- St John Hospital, Detroit, MI
Texas A&M Bryan/College Station, Bryan, TX
MS Medical Education Research Consortium, Greenville, MS
Elson S Floyd COM/WSU, Pullman, WA
East Jefferson General Hospital, Metairie, LA

General Surgery
Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Warren MI
McLaren Health Care, Lansing, MI
Health One/Skyridge Med Center, Lone Tree, CO

General Surgery-Prelim
Samaritan Health Services, Corvallis, OR
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani GME, Brandon, FL

Internal Medicine
Portsmouth Regional Hospital, Portsmouth, NH
LSU New Orleans, New Orleans, LAx2
University at Buffalo SOM, Buffalo, NY
University of Tennessee SOM, Knoxville, TN
ZuckerSOM Northwell Lenox Hill, New York, NY
Carilion Clinic- Virigina Tech-Carilion SOM, Roanoke, VA
HCA Healthcare LewisGale Hospital, Blacksburg, VA
Baylor Scott and White Medical Center/Texas A&M, Temple, TX
East Alabama Medical Center, Opelika, AL
University of Central FL/HCA Healthcare GME, Ocala, FL
UAB Huntsville, Huntsville, AL
Baptist Memoral Hospital Golden-Traingle, Columbus, MS
Baptist Memorial Hospital North-MS, Oxford, MS
HCA Medical City Healthcare, Arlington, TX

Internal Medicine- Prelim
Greater Baltimore Med Ctr- Baltimore, MD
USAF, San Antonio, TX

OBGYN
UHS So California Med Ed Consortium, Temcula, CA
Good Samaritan Hospital Med Center, West Islip, NY
Danbury Hospital, Danbury, CT
Ohio Health-Doctor's Hospital, Columbus, OH

ONMM
Lake Granbury Medical Center, Granbury, TX

Orthopedic Surgery
Mclaren Health Care. Lansing, MI
Kettering Health Network, Dayton, OHx2

Ophthalmology
Larkin Community Hospital

Otolaryngology
Montefiore Medical Center/Einstein, Bronx, NY

Pediatrics
Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge, LA
University of Vermont Medical Center, Burlington, VT
University of Texas HSC, San Antonio, TX
St Luke's Hospital, Anderson, PA
UAMS, Little Rock, AR
University of Oklahoma COM, Oklahoma City, OK

PM&R
UCF/HCA GME, Pensacola, FL

Psychiatry
Univ of Florida Shands Hospital, Gainesville, FL
UMMC, Jackson, MS
UAMS, Little Rock, AR
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Bethesda, MA

Transitional
Tuscon Hospitals Med ED, Tuscon, AZ

Reactions: 4 users
also @FutureDoctor5000 typed this up in the main match thread and just thought i’d copy and paste it here for ease of access!!

Anesthesiology
Barnes Jewish Hospital/ Wash U, St Louis, MO

Diagnostic Radiology
LSUHSC Shreveport, Shreveport, LA

Emergency Medicine
UMMC, Jackson, MSx2
Memorial Healthcare System, Pembroke Pines, FL
Jefferson Health, Stratford, NJ
HCA Medical Center Healthcare, Arlington, TX
University of Illinois COM-Peoria OSF, Peoria, IL
Prisma Health- U of SC SOM, Greenville, SC
Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Upland, PA
LSU SOM Baton Rouge, LA X2
Merit Health Wesley, Hattiesburg, MS
UT Ascension St. Thomas, Murfreesboro, TN
St Agnes Medical Center, Fresno, CA
Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME
Inspira Healh Network, Mullica Hills, NJ
Orange Park Medical Center, Orange Park, FL

Family Medicine
HCA Healthcare Kansas City, Lees Summit, MO
Ascension Genesys Hospital, Grand Blanc, MI
St Vincent's Medical Center, Jacksonville, FL
LSU SOM Rural Track, Bogalusa, LA
The University of Nevada Reno SOM, Reno, NV
OMECO, Tulsa, OK
University of Florida Shands Hospital, Gainesville, FL
University of Texas HSC, Tyler, TX
Unity Health Searcy, AR
Providence- St. Peter Hospital, Olympia, WA
Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic, Yakima, WA
University of Buffalo SOM, Buffalo, NY
Beaumont Health, Grosse Pointe, MI
Ascension- St John Hospital, Detroit, MI
Texas A&M Bryan/College Station, Bryan, TX
MS Medical Education Research Consortium, Greenville, MS
Elson S Floyd COM/WSU, Pullman, WA
East Jefferson General Hospital, Metairie, LA

General Surgery
Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Warren MI
McLaren Health Care, Lansing, MI
Health One/Skyridge Med Center, Lone Tree, CO

General Surgery-Prelim
Samaritan Health Services, Corvallis, OR
HCA Healthcare/USF Morsani GME, Brandon, FL

Internal Medicine
Portsmouth Regional Hospital, Portsmouth, NH
LSU New Orleans, New Orleans, LAx2
University at Buffalo SOM, Buffalo, NY
University of Tennessee SOM, Knoxville, TN
ZuckerSOM Northwell Lenox Hill, New York, NY
Carilion Clinic- Virigina Tech-Carilion SOM, Roanoke, VA
HCA Healthcare LewisGale Hospital, Blacksburg, VA
Baylor Scott and White Medical Center/Texas A&M, Temple, TX
East Alabama Medical Center, Opelika, AL
University of Central FL/HCA Healthcare GME, Ocala, FL
UAB Huntsville, Huntsville, AL
Baptist Memoral Hospital Golden-Traingle, Columbus, MS
Baptist Memorial Hospital North-MS, Oxford, MS
HCA Medical City Healthcare, Arlington, TX

Internal Medicine- Prelim
Greater Baltimore Med Ctr- Baltimore, MD
USAF, San Antonio, TX

OBGYN
UHS So California Med Ed Consortium, Temcula, CA
Good Samaritan Hospital Med Center, West Islip, NY
Danbury Hospital, Danbury, CT
Ohio Health-Doctor's Hospital, Columbus, OH

ONMM
Lake Granbury Medical Center, Granbury, TX

Orthopedic Surgery
Mclaren Health Care. Lansing, MI
Kettering Health Network, Dayton, OHx2

Ophthalmology
Larkin Community Hospital

Otolaryngology
Montefiore Medical Center/Einstein, Bronx, NY

Pediatrics
Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge, LA
University of Vermont Medical Center, Burlington, VT
University of Texas HSC, San Antonio, TX
St Luke's Hospital, Anderson, PA
UAMS, Little Rock, AR
University of Oklahoma COM, Oklahoma City, OK

PM&R
UCF/HCA GME, Pensacola, FL

Psychiatry
Univ of Florida Shands Hospital, Gainesville, FL
UMMC, Jackson, MS
UAMS, Little Rock, AR
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Bethesda, MA

Transitional
Tuscon Hospitals Med ED, Tuscon, AZ
What is the difference between General surgery and general surgery preliminary?

What is the difference between General surgery and general surgery preliminary?
Preliminary is only year 1 (transitional). Some specialties like Rads, Anesthesiology, Derm, and Surgery require a 1 year internship called either preliminary or transitional year before going onto the categorical (real or true) residency.

Having General surgery means the applicant got a 1 prelim year + 4 years gen surgery residency. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Preliminary is only year 1 (transitional). Some specialties like Rads, Anesthesiology, Derm, and Surgery require a 1 year intern year called either preliminary or transitional year before going onto the categorical (real or true) residency.

Just General surgery means the applicant
got a 1 prelim year + 4years gen surgery residency. Hope that makes sense.
So are general surgery and general surgery preliminary match basically the same if they both require a preliminary year? I appreciate your response, just not sure the difference.

So are general surgery and general surgery preliminary match basically the same if they both require a preliminary year? I appreciate your response, just not sure the difference.
Correct. The only difference is that applicants who just get general surgery preliminary have to re-apply in the match to get the categorical (4 year residency) because after their 1st year, that’s it.

Sorry if this question has been asked before. Does anyone know if any of the rotations are residency-based rotations? Or do we have to find them on our own?

Read the thread.

• Love
For the current accepted students: Did WCUCOM send out any emails about setting up an WCUCOM account or any emails about filing for financial aid? On the group me, someone mentioned they did, but I got no communication from them thus far. Idk if I am missing something. I already went ahead and did my FAFSA just in case. Don't know if I should be doing anything else.

For the current accepted students: Did WCUCOM send out any emails about setting up an WCUCOM account or any emails about filing for financial aid? On the group me, someone mentioned they did, but I got no communication from them thus far. Idk if I am missing something. I already went ahead and did my FAFSA just in case. Don't know if I should be doing anything else.
I will share what I’ve done, it could be diff than others. I got an email about account set up, nothing else. I called Financial aid myself, they said that we should wait till like May or June. I have created a FAFSA account, but says all the government aids are locked right now!

I will share what I’ve done, it could be diff than others. I got an email about account set up, nothing else. I called Financial aid myself, they said that we should wait till like May or June. I have created a FAFSA account, but says all the government aids are locked right now!
Thats weird. I was able to file my 2023 to 2024 fafsa form. Ill call WCUCOM financial aid office tomorrow to check. Thanks

Anyone know if wcucom has a student run clinic to volunteer at or something of the sort?

Thats weird. I was able to file my 2023 to 2024 fafsa form. Ill call WCUCOM financial aid office tomorrow to check. Thanks
Thank you for letting me know, my info was for about a month ago. I just completed mine too.

Just FYI, I called the financial aide office, although u do the FAFSA and get the grad Plus loan, the main loan document will not be available until late April/early May so your gonna be on hold until then. If yall call, talk to Mrs. Martin because she is over the COM students.

Another important thing. I called the IT department and If any of you like me have not received an IT email setting up your WCUCOM email account, go to WCU Support Ticket
and follow the instructions. You are basically submitting a ticket.

:D

Are people already looking for roomies/advice on how to find roomies?

Anyone know if wcucom has a student run clinic to volunteer at or something of the sort?
there is a health clinic for students to use but not student run! there are volunteer opportunities throughout the community that pop up throughout the year.

you'll get a ton of info about all this closer to May / June. Complete any account set up stuff if you get it now, but otherwise just wait until they reach out to you! They'll let you know when you need to get stuff done!

Anyone know when the admissions committee is meeting again? Tomorrow marks 2 weeks since my interview 😫

does anyone know if most lectures are available online, or are classes mandatory to attend in person?

does anyone know if most lectures are available online, or are classes mandatory to attend in person?
All lectures are recorded and available for re-watching on canvas. All of the labs are mandatory. Very few lectures (1-2/week) are mandatory. Anatomy has flipped classroom sessions that have live quiz questions but those can be done either in person or at home.

hey guys I got a deferral today. Not sure exactly sure what that means. Please be as blunt as possible I know it says it’s not a rejection, but do I have a realistic chance at making it in this cycle. Appreciate any help.